• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

FukuDaruma

Forza-Motorsport-rain-leaked-screenshots-1.jpeg
Forza-Motorsport-rain-leaked-screenshots-2.jpeg
Forza-Motorsport-rain-leaked-screenshots-3.jpeg

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Damn, this game looks fucking fantastic...
The environment is just *chef kiss*

It looks really good, the narrow road are just perfect. The foliage and lighting are also really impressive for a none AAA game, and it sounds indredible.

Senua

Gold Member
It looks really good, the narrow road are just perfect. The foliage and lighting are also really impressive for a none AAA game, and it sounds indredible.
Yes, the super wide roads are what ruin modern Forza Horizon games for me, also the fact you just run down walls, barriers and small trees. Also the lack of any real progression

8 years later, and NFS 2015 is still one of the best looking racing games in 2023 and with the best speed feeling:

Hell yea I remember I passed off this screenshot I took of it as a new next gen ray traced NFS game on reddit and people believed me

8TXlFul.jpg

Last edited:

Turk1993

Yes, the super wide roads are what ruin modern Forza Horizon games for me, also the fact you just run down walls, barriers and small trees. Also the lack of any real progression

Hell yea I remember I passed off this screenshot I took of it as a new next gen ray traced NFS game on reddit and people believed me

8TXlFul.jpg
People think everything is ray tracing when they see reflections. I remember they tought the low rez cubemaps in FH5 reveal where RT reflections lol.

FukuDaruma

I think the engine is showing its age at this point. Sure the effects they use are nice (overcast and rain looks more impressive) but the track detail and shading has a last gen feel. They need to ditch cross gen and really push it
The LOD popping, specially in vegetation, is a thing that needs to be fixed in racing games once and for all. UE5's Nanite is supposed to fix that. Others should implement a similar solution.

SSR has been cancer. NFS2015 reflections are great. I don't know what they did, but they look great, don't have the problems of SSR (missing edges and obscured parts):

image.png

Despite its flaws (cringey characters, rubberband AI, annoying online, no daytime, no cockpit camera) that game was a big step in the right direction: lighting, rain, the action camera angles, the speed shake... and then they went back to shit after shit with each title afterwards. 🤦🏻

Now NFS Unbound looks straight a mobile game. Pathetic.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I think the engine is showing its age at this point. Sure the effects they use are nice (overcast and rain looks more impressive) but the track detail and shading has a last gen feel. They need to ditch cross gen and really push it
Yeah, the rtx is really carrying a lot of the experience

Turk1993

New screenshots from GTR Revival, game made by former Project Cars creator Ian Bell. Game looks really good, there is RTGI and RT reflections and the level of detail is pretty high. Game aims to launch in holiday 2024.
F2HTN7RXoAAZ2Tr

F2L79smWsAA_cn_

8TXlFul.jpg

That truly looks better than NFS Unbound thats why

FukuDaruma

Is that not just SSR too? I don't see any reflections that doesn't have any screen space data.

I don't think so. You don't see any of the typical SSR bugs there: fading on the edges of the screen and where objects obstruct the view.

image.png

The fading on the edges is *very* noticeable in any game using SSR, even top AAA games like RDR2 or God of War.

Turk1993

I don't think so. You don't see any of the typical SSR bugs there: fading on the edges of the screen and where objects obstruct the view.

image.png

The fading on the edges is *very* noticeable in any game using SSR, even top AAA games like RDR2 or God of War.
It is SSR and it has the same bugs, its only less noticable because its dark and the fallback reflections blend well. Just watch this video starting at 5:00 and focus on the left mirror.

Three

image.png

I'm aware where SSR can fail, when the reflection on that plane doesn't have screen space information (due to something else being rendered above or the reflection being the underside of something and therefore not visible in screen space).

The thing is that I think NFS2015 uses SSR but due to the camera and buildings just doesn't show the SSR flaws.

FukuDaruma

FukuDaruma FukuDaruma Here you go, my own capture from maxed out pc version. Look at the under right side of the bumper where the reflections disappear just like the under side of the left front bumper.
The cars, maybe, but this is the edge of the screen and the reflections do not fade like they do in all the other games with SSR...

image.png

Last edited:

Turk1993

The cars, maybe, but this is the edge of the screen and the reflections do not fade like they do in all the other games with SSR...

image.png
It actually does but its harder to see because it dark, just look at this picture and see the reflections between the rails and the sign in the reflection have those SSR bugs. The edges also all depends on the angle and the way the devs implement it. the flatter and lower you go the less its noticable.
Need-for-Speed-25-06-2021-23-36-42.png

I think it works the same like Driveclub where they render a wider fov but zoom in the camera a little bit to get rid of these artifacts on the edges.
DRIVECLUB-20200113181014.png

FukuDaruma

I think it works the same like Driveclub where they render a wider fov but zoom in the camera a little bit to get rid of these artifacts on the edges.
That could be it, although in that Driveclub screenshot they seem to be stretching the reflected edges.
I force the same zoom trick (and lens shape) in PC games using Reshade, but there's no escaping it in consoles.

It always amazes me how top dogs like RDR2 and God of War (and Ragnarok) didn't fix any of that. You don't get more AAA and bigger budgets than those ones...

Last edited:

Turk1993

New Road America gameplay footage coming tomorrow.

The track side detail, trees and foliage looks incredible. I also think that this is the pc version with full resolution RT reflections and RTGI.

The track side detail, trees and foliage looks incredible. I also think that this is the pc version with full resolution RT reflections and RTGI.

Yeah it looks very impressive, hopefully Series X version is close enough to this, that would be great.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are you fucking kidding me ?! The gifs were not lying.
I just got Driveclub. I never played it before.
Was expecting it too be shit since it's probably overhyped.
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?! THIS IS A 2014 GAME ?! Makes me think what other ps4 games I disregarded.
It looks and sound absolutely INSANE. I am shaking.
The sense of speed, noises of gravel, rocks, asphalt and dirt on the side. It even controls very snappy at 30fps. There is no lag at all. What have the done here ?!
Literally, they could only apply better AA or set it to 4k and it would be ready for this gen. Don't even need any tweaks. 60fps would be nice too but I don't even see it as mandatory here. This is the most responsive 30fps next to bloodborne. Add HDR to that? oh my god.
The graphics are fantastic. Only poor AA is holding it's back. Once you switch on the incredible photo mode and the game supersamples the image, it looks incredible. it is still 1080p but looks so clean. This would 100% be possible real time on ps5 if we got a patch.
I just took ton of screenshots. First I am posting some oled pics and 2 vids I took. Sadly, yt massacred the vids. This looks much better in reality. Jaggies are holding it back but the shadows, reflections, motion blur.
The game looks great during the day and good weather too. It's not only rain and night obscuring it.

pi7s9y5.jpg

EV88y6U.jpg

whCHOKR.jpg

gameplay vs photo mode. Huge difference.
9ZEv3QK.jpg

WkIC0ol.jpg

Last edited:

SABRE220

Its criminal that they are not implementing gi into the series x version, they can compromise on resolution instead of aiming for 4k and use reconstruction but this is one feature that can truly set the visuals apart.

SABRE220

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?! THIS IS A 2014 GAME ?! Makes me think what other ps4 games I disregarded.
The sense of speed, noises of gravel, rocks, asphalt and dirt on the side. It even controls very snappy at 30fps. There is no lag at all. What have the done here ?!
Literally, they could only apply better AA or set it to 4k and it would be ready for this gen. Don't even need any tweaks. 60fps would be nice too but I don't even see it as mandatory here. This is the most responsive 30fps next to bloodborne. Add HDR to that? oh my god.
The graphics are fantastic. Only poor AA is holding it's back. Once you switch on the incredible photo mode and the game supersamples the image, it looks incredible. it is still 1080p but looks so clean. This would 100% be possible real time on ps5 if we got a patch.
I just took ton of screenshots. First I am posting some oled pics and 2 vids I took. Sadly, yt massacred the vids. This looks much better in reality. Jaggies are holding it back but the shadows, reflections, motion blur.
The game looks great during the day and good weather too. It's not only rain and night obscuring it.

pi7s9y5.jpg

EV88y6U.jpg

whCHOKR.jpg

9ZEv3QK.jpg

WkIC0ol.jpg

Cant believe we will never see this engine being expanded on....legit the most impressive driving game for me last gen even with the iq warts. Even a ps4 pro patch would catapult it right into contention with 16xaf and res/reconstruction boost.

Turk1993

pi7s9y5.jpg

EV88y6U.jpg

whCHOKR.jpg

9ZEv3QK.jpg

WkIC0ol.jpg

d0a.gif

Perrott

FukuDaruma FukuDaruma Here you go, my own capture from maxed out pc version. Look at the under right side of the bumper where the reflections disappear just like the under side of the left front bumper.
Need-for-Speed-3-07-2021-2-07-26.jpg
In your experience, is the game still playable on PC?

I think I remember reading negative reviews on Steam about either problems with the launcher or maybe lack of controller support, I don't quite remember.

Turk1993

In your experience, is the game still playable on PC?

I think I remember reading negative reviews on Steam about either problems with the launcher or maybe lack of controller support, I don't quite remember.
Ofcourse, i had no problem with the game. Played it with a Xbox One Elite V1 and V2 controller without any problem 2 years ago. The game still looks amazing, they really nailed the night underground setting perfectly. And the car sounds amazing. Only problem i had with the game is the horrible rubberbanding ai and the weird crash physics during gameplay.

SimTourist

Its criminal that they are not implementing gi into the series x version, they can compromise on resolution instead of aiming for 4k and use reconstruction but this is one feature that can truly set the visuals apart.
So far even RT Reflections seem to be missing from all gameplay footage which is concerning only a few months away from release.

Turk1993

Good news at last...

Finally they learned there lesson and include the latest pc tech at launch outside DLSS FG. And it looks like the RTGI will not be in game at launch on pc. Since they commented about the pc version getting more updates and improvements after launch.

And those pc req.
245.gif

Turk1993

WTF! really?? come on... 🤦🏻
No confirmed yet but they would be telling us by now if it would i think. Also the way they commented on how they where gonna further support the pc version and enhance it further after launch sounds like they gonna add it later. There is still hope but im expecting the worse so i don't get disappointed.

FukuDaruma

No confirmed yet but they would be telling us by now if it would i think. Also the way they commented on how they where gonna further support the pc version and enhance it further after launch sounds like they gonna add it later. There is still hope but im expecting the worse so i don't get disappointed.
At least I just confirmed my Fanatec CSL is supported...

But if they don't release the PC version with full raytracing features is gonna be a let down. That "we will release it later" reminds me of Elden Ring's raytracing, where they released it *one year* later and it was a pile of crap.

SimTourist

Some semi decent footage from gamescom, the trackside detail is good, but the cockpit view looks the same as Forza 7, no dynamic cubemaps for reflections (RT is a no show), same annoying hands reflecting in the windshield effect, same poor hand animations with no full rotation, the dated car materials are showing their age. I expected a bigger changes for 6 years dev time.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Some semi decent footage from gamescom, the trackside detail is good, but the cockpit view looks the same as Forza 7, no dynamic cubemaps for reflections (RT is a no show), same annoying hands reflecting in the windshield effect, same poor hand animations with no full rotation, the dated car materials are showing their age. I expected a bigger changes for 6 years dev time.

It looks super unfinished. They have how long, 2 months? Good luck. The pop-in when scenes are changes are extremely visible. Like when he crosses the finish line or when it switched to the podium.

SimTourist

It looks super unfinished. They have how long, 2 months? Good luck. The pop-in when scenes are changes are extremely visible. Like when he crosses the finish line or when it switched to the podium.
It's super strange considering they were planning to release it in early 2023 then got extra 6 months for polish. With previous Forzas the gamescom build was usually very close to final release in terms of quality. Also after claiming RT on track last year, in all of the gameplay footage in the last few months it's missing and no mention from devs at all, it's there in the 30 fps pre race cutscenes, but not in gameplay, very strange.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It's super strange considering they were planning to release it in early 2023 then got extra 6 months for polish. With previous Forzas the gamescom build was usually very close to final release in terms of quality. Also after claiming RT on track last year, in all of the gameplay footage in the last few months it's missing and no mention from devs at all, it's there in the 30 fps pre race cutscenes, but not in gameplay, very strange.

Those pre-race cutscenes are... on track. There's a reason why they used that strange, misleading PR bullshit language.

Turk1993

Those pre-race cutscenes are... on track. There's a reason why they used that strange, misleading PR bullshit language.
This is what they said about the RT on track.

“Ray tracing is here. It’s on track and most importantly, it’s real-time gameplay. I really want to make that clear: when we say ‘on track’, it doesn’t mean it’s only in replays or it’s only in Photo Mode on track and we’re just being funny with words. We’re not trying to mislead you here. When you’re racing and when you are playing the game, ray tracing is on. We want to be really clear about that.”

Its big fucking lie if they don't have RT during gameplay. Im pretty sure the pc version will have it as they showed a couple of times. But on Xbox im not that sure tbh.

Top Bottom