• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Hmm, going through this thread, i can't put my finger on it but Turk1993 reminds me of Senjutsu sage... Might be an alt account hmm.,
So you joined in May 4 after he was banned but you act like you know him for years and accuse me been his alt?
uhe2xZZ.jpg

you-played-yourself.gif

Says the guy with a 4 month old account…
He just exposed himself lol.

Turk1993

Something I would like DF to compare is the difference in lighting or a full timelapse on different circuits.

Image captures of the final game are coming out and it seems that (logically), different TOD could mean a big change.

F7iFV6vbcAIhlB6
F7iFV6sbcAAV2Zf
F7iFV6ubcAEq8hd
And those are all in performance mode on Xbox since there is no RT, so the worst the game is gonna look (outside Series S and low spec pc obv.). The pc version will look even better and i can't wait for tomorow.

Says the guy with a 4 month old account…
So you joined in May 4 after he was banned but you act like you know him for years and accuse me been his alt?
uhe2xZZ.jpg

you-played-yourself.gif

He just exposed himself lol.
What, a guy can't make an account now lol? Please get over yourselves Sherlock & Watson.. Lots of people browse gaf without an account because it's one of the easiest place to get gaming news without trawling through the web. Just sign in after work and review the first page to find all the relevant news of the day along with the hottest of takes. You run a similar dbz icon to sage so you have yourself to blame for that...

BigLee74

What, a guy can't make an account now lol? Please get over yourselves Sherlock & Watson.. Lots of people browse gaf without an account because it's one of the easiest place to get gaming news without trawling through the web. Just sign in after work and review the first page to find all the relevant news of the day along with the hottest of takes. You run a similar dbz icon to sage so you have yourself to blame for that...

To be fair, I see only one person attempting to play Sherlock here 😉 How’s the pipe?

Last edited:

Robochobo

Pretty sure sage had a profile pic of Naruto. Besides I've only ever seen or noticed Turk in racing threads that I browse. Senjutsu would argue over a turd if it had anything to do with Xbox. Pretty sure Turk is just passionate about racing lol.

benzy

It's actually the other way around, GT7 cars have even lower poly during gameplay than FM7.

Maybe on PC, but heavy compromises were made in other areas on console that I can't give FM7 the better car models in gameplay. FM7 on One X had some terrible AI cars in comparison to GTSport on PS4Pro regarding polycount, shaders & reflections. For both games it also depends on the car no matter if it's AI or player car.

FM7 gameplay AI car
9-13-2019_3-21-29_am-4neq4.png

GTSport gameplay AI car
granturismorsport_201ksdkv.png

FM7 gameplay AI car
9-13-2019_3-21-28_am-ecdom.png

GTSport gameplay AI car
granturismorsport_201qnio3.png

FM7 gameplay AI car
2-5-2020_12-01-04_am-i3iq7.png

GTSport gameplay AI car
gtsportgameplay302graj7f9k.png

GTSport gameplay AI car
gtsportgt7gameplaybra3jcjy.jpg

Musilla

Maybe on PC, but heavy compromises were made in other areas on console that I can't give FM7 the better car models in gameplay. FM7 on One X had some terrible AI cars in comparison to GTSport on PS4Pro regarding polycount, shaders & reflections. For both games it also depends on the car no matter if it's AI or player car.

FM7 gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car

FM7 gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car

FM7 gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car

Turk1993

Yup there you go.

When I'm racing the AI cars getting past me look insanely detailed too.
Bruh come on, if we gonna post everything these twitter warriors post with there shitty low quality setting than we don't need to discuss anymore. You have on both sides people like him cherrypicking some low end pc or base xbox one low quality shots. And John is the last person to talk about car models. His last comparison video was soo flawed and wrong.

Just like this

FM7 gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car

FM7 gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car

FM7 gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car
I have also seen super low quality lod on my PS4Pro on GTS with only 1 car on track. There are even player cars lower quality than those low quality Forza ai cars during gameplay. Like what are you tryna prove lol, its not 2017 anymore.

Gran-Turismo-SPORT-20200317220311.png

Gran-Turismo-SPORT-20200313223743.png

Gran-Turismo-SPORT-20200229025333.png

Gran-Turismo-SPORT-20200317220006.png

Turk1993

Ok I am confused. GT7 premium model cars look better than FM premium model cars?
In scape mode yes, during gameplay no. But Forza's Forzavista car models also have super detailed engine's which they lack in GT7 for cars with closed bonnets. But the overall detail in the interior and headlights in GT7 scape models are unmatched.

Turk1993

Turk1993 Turk1993 idk man those GT7 shots look low res, weird. These are pics I took today

M41X3lB.png

otDZaqz.png

XC1X45Y.png
Mine shots are direct 4k captures your shots are low res compressed actually im confused :messenger_grinning_sweat: . And you can see the lower lod car model in your last shot. I made a comparison also for that car a while ago. Just look at the difference between the photomode and gameplay model
car7-2.jpg

Like i said they have improved some cars and they look much much better now. But its still not the higher quality lod and still has the same issues. Here is a good example

GTS
fbX82db.jpg

GT7
jfGENH5.jpg

It's not that I don't believe you :pie_fwt: I just say that what I see while playing is a very good looking game, better than anything out there... but the last car in my picture does look poor compared to the others, maybe I'm just being lucky using cars that have higher poly counts/better ingame models than others.

nkarafo

The bloom is atrocious in any Forza game. I avoid white colored cars because of their intense glow.

Also, what the hell is wrong with the wheels in those AI cars? They look like corrupted graphics.

There's always something janky and OFF about Forza games graphics. They look very nice in most areas but there's always one very ugly thing that sticks out and ruins everything. Like the cardboard trees in the previous game.

I don't remember feeling like that for Forza 4 on XBOX 360. Other than the 30fps replays, the game looked much more polished.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

In scape mode yes, during gameplay no. But Forza's Forzavista car models also have super detailed engine's which they lack in GT7 for cars with closed bonnets. But the overall detail in the interior and headlights in GT7 scape models are unmatched.
sorry, what do you mean scape mode ? I don't care about photo mode or garage mode. during gameplay. which one does look better? or replays ?

if scape mode = garage mode or where there is nothing but 1 car and you cant play anything then that doesn't count.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

FM7 gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car

FM7 gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car

FM7 gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car

GTSport gameplay AI car
What's the "Free Trial" PC is it ?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

It's good to see dynamic shadows in the cockpit casting from streetlights. A lot of racers have abandoned this technique, even GT7 while GT5 on PS3 had it in 2010.

That looks amazing! Wish fanatec hadn't taken a complete shit and my wheel I ordered over a month ago had actually arrived!

Three

Yes they look good but they don't have higher poly than FM games because they use lower lod during gameplay. We have discussed this 100 times already in this thread. The shaders where better and the lighting make it look better but the models themeself during gameplay where inferior outside the cockpit view. FM uses photomode lod since FM6 during gameplay.
car8-2.jpg

car7-2.jpg

After the 360 cam update we can see it even better, just look at the interior and the body of the cars also the wheels on the merc.
Gran-Turismo-7-20230128003615.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220630210942.png
Gran-Turismo-7-20220630210942.png
Turk, people are talking about AI cars and on console. Not player car and on PC.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Apart from trees, everything else looks better to me on gt7. Lighting, materials, surfaces, headlights and shadows, etc.

A nice detail in FM is how the light affects everything in cockpit view. In gt7 there are no lights in the track to show if it has the same effect (but I don't think it does tbh)

Tracks definitely look better in FM but dog damn, that lighting is off. Where in the hell all the contrast went?

Peterthumpa

Watching PC footage of the review build, and feeling extremely underwhelmed. Performance seems all over the place, graphics at max - including all RT options, and it still doesn’t hold a candle to GT7 overall, except in very specific circumstances. 6 years of dev time here could be justified if handling and overall simulation are much improved, but graphically it feels like a huge disappointment to me.

GHG

I play the game and forgot. Lol. Looks awesome but it seems to update at 30fps.

I think that's a replay (the beep at the start of the video is the giveaway), can't remember if they udpade at 60fps in gameplay or not.

Someone who has the game installed might want to check.

Reckheim

Apart from trees, everything else looks better to me on gt7. Lighting, materials, surfaces, headlights and shadows, etc.

A nice detail in FM is how the light affects everything in cockpit view. In gt7 there are no lights in the track to show if it has the same effect (but I don't think it does tbh)

it really does make you think if Series S has anything to do with it, that fm7 footage is not good.

Then again it runs like trash on pc too, so who knows what's going on.

Magik85

Seems to be matter of certain TOD/weather settings, because on some other comparations theres opposite outcome.

SimTourist

it really does make you think if Series S has anything to do with it, that fm7 footage is not good.

Then again it runs like trash on pc too, so who knows what's going on.
Not really, GT7 looks more or less the same on base PS4. It's simply a matter of art direction at this point, PD artists have always had a better eye for color/texture choices even back on PS1/2. Technical limitations are no longer an issue for the choices the artists make.

Well the problem with this comparison is that Forza's time of day and weather are completely dynamic, whereas you look at the GT counterpart and it's clear every artistic decision was made for dramatic effect.

Forza's dynamic lighting, RT reflections and tracks are clearly superior.

SimTourist

Well the problem with this comparison is that Forza's time of day and weather are completely dynamic, whereas you look at the GT counterpart and it's clear every artistic decision was made for dramatic effect.

Forza's dynamic lighting, RT reflections and tracks are clearly superior.
GT7 time and weather are dynamic too. GT was doing it as far back as 2010 with GT5 on PS3.

Last edited:

Turk1993

sorry, what do you mean scape mode ? I don't care about photo mode or garage mode. during gameplay. which one does look better? or replays ?

if scape mode = garage mode or where there is nothing but 1 car and you cant play anything then that doesn't count.
Gameplay Forza

Turk, people are talking about AI cars and on console. Not player car and on PC.
Insane Metal was talking about player cars but the other dudes started posting ai cars for wathever reason.

How are headlight and shadows better in GT7 when the player car is the only one casting them while the ai cars almost has very short to almost zero lights. And in that footage Forza clearly has better shadows overall, in the cockpit view like Simtourist pointed out the car has self shadowing which lacks in GT7. Then you have the RT reflections which you can see clearly in 3d person when the cars ar side by side. And the lighting on that track looks like that because in Forza there are track lights which is absent in GT7, which is the reason why it looks darker with more contrast.

8ca7uNb.jpg

Seems to be matter of certain TOD/weather settings, because on some other comparations theres opposite outcome.

Prety big differences, there is soo much more going on in FM. The rain looks really good in FM, its a good imporvement. But the windshield effects are still average, AC and Driveclub windshield effects remains king.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

They still have shit materials, not sure how it wasn't fixed. Trillion dollars and fucking nothing

but oh well I don't care about no CORIDOR Racers, outside this one, I still play it:

Its just like Testosterone injection

SimTourist

Prety big differences, there is soo much more going on in FM. The rain looks really good in FM, its a good imporvement. But the windshield effects are still average, AC and Driveclub windshield effects remains king.
Seems like they are using SSR for wet road surface reflections now instead of planar reflection in Forza 7. You can see typical SSR artifacts at the edges of the screen and a missing reflection when car geometry occludes the environment.

Turk1993

Seems like they are using SSR for wet road surface reflections now instead of planar reflection in Forza 7. You can see typical SSR artifacts at the edges of the screen and a missing reflection when car geometry occludes the environment.
Yup thats right, its SSR for road surfaces with some RT reflections on building and shiney track building/objects.

BigLee74

That’s a damming difference! Dare we say generational in this instance?

If anything though, it proves that the overall ‘wow-ness’ of the graphics are very dependant on the dynamic TOD and weather playing nicely. I’m pretty sure if this comparison was the one used the ‘IGN’ thread then it would be coursing very differently.

Turk1993

Just played some couple free play laps and i saw lots of good and some bad things. The game looks really good and a clear step ahead of FM7 but there are still some thing they need to fix or change graphically. Will make a small graphical review later this night with the goods and bads.

Senua

Gold Member
Just played some couple free play laps and i saw lots of good and some bad things. The game looks really good and a clear step ahead of FM7 but there are still some thing they need to fix or change graphically. Will make a small graphical review later this night with the goods and bads.
Do cars still have the weird pixilation around the wheels when in motion?

Top Bottom