• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Magik85

Back in the day, when you wanted to show power of the next gen console, you went for racing games. Just look GT2->GT3/4-> GT5.... or FM1->FM4....or MSR->PGR2->PGR4...or FH1->FH4. Leaps between generations were really huge.
Now however...GT7 is updated GTS, FH5 is updated FH4, current FM while having much better foliage, has much worse textures than FM7....WRC looks worse than Dirt Rally 2.0. New consoles have much more and faster memory than last gen, but texture wise, both FM and GT7 are actually laughable compated to last gen racer.
I mean seriously...current biggest games have track textures like this:

HxuWzuP.jpeg

7n9upyR.jpeg

While Project Cars 2 on standard PS4 had those:

CDkGWgy.png

euxwHn8.png

Senua

Gold Member
Back in the day, when you wanted to show power of the next gen console, you went for racing games. Just look GT2->GT3/4-> GT5.... or FM1->FM4....or MSR->PGR2->PGR4...or FH1->FH4. Leaps between generations were really huge.
Now however...GT7 is updated GTS, FH5 is updated FH4, current FM while having much better foliage, has much worse textures than FM7....WRC looks worse than Dirt Rally 2.0. New consoles have much more and faster memory than last gen, but texture wise, both FM and GT7 are actually laughable compated to last gen racer.
I mean seriously...current biggest games have track textures like this:

HxuWzuP.jpeg

7n9upyR.jpeg

While Project Cars 2 on standard PS4 had those:

CDkGWgy.png

euxwHn8.png
Yea I've been surprised how low res the textures are on FM, they are garbage. GT7s are better but yea I remember how super crisp they used to be, you'd think they could keep pushing fidelity in that aspect but nope we've actually gone backwards. Don't get me wrong theirs more blades of grass but you notice the poor textures underneath, and also the road surface should be super sharp as you're staring at it so often. Excited to see what Assetto Corsa Evo can bring in that regard. Hard to tell from the pics released but looking decent at least.

ss_62735f8595e5f3e3634e9e0172a29cf6328f16a4.1920x1080.jpg

I have high hopes for Assetto Corsa EVO. It will be their core sim for the next 10 years so I think they will make sure to make it as future proof as possible.

Magik85

It would be cool if theyd finally have photomode LOD car models during gameplay on the Pro console.
Id rather have nice round car models instead of RT reflections on angular ones.

Danknugz

really looking forward to assetto corsa 2, AC1 is great but there's so many mods and things to consider when setting it up it's like an entire platform.

drotahorror

Game from 2006 has shadows from cars, casted by headlights.

zC5KMdV.jpeg

Why is this so difficult to do today? TDU SC has some shadows but not really, more like blobs but it looks better than nothing. EA's WRC 2023 had fuck all, The Crew Motorfest has none, the list can go on.

SimTourist

zC5KMdV.jpeg

Why is this so difficult to do today? TDU SC has some shadows but not really, more like blobs but it looks better than nothing. EA's WRC 2023 had fuck all, The Crew Motorfest has none, the list can go on.
Yeah, TDU SC doesn't even have decent cubemaps on the cars and the draw distance is like an early Xbox 360 game. Not even gonna mention Driveclub weather effects not being matched in 10 years.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

zC5KMdV.jpeg

Its around that time, where deffered render become popular, which allows very detailed geometry for the whole scene, but dynamic light sources are very expensive. This is probably good old forward rendering

Top Bottom