• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

You said Driveclub graphics. Last I checked, fps is an important part of graphics. Driveclub is 30fps, which is not at all suited for simulation and good physics (but sometimes ok for sci-fi arcade racers, like Driveclub), so no thanks to that as well. It does have good weather effects, I give it that, but let's be honest here, for "the perfect car racing game" everything else is quite a few steps back.

Come on, man. You knew full well that by "graphics" he meant on-screen visuals. Not framerate. Twisting people's words so you can fit another "negative" in your argument is not cool.

And fictional tracks >>> real-life tracks everyday of the week.

Anarion07

That's 1.8 Tflops vs 1.3 TFLops difference right there.

plz-stop-post.jpg

Nah.

More like both. More so the flops though.

A GTX 780 has 1.5 Teraflops more processing power than a GTX 680, yet only yields 15 fps improvements. Its engine design, art direction, and the goals of the developers that yields the greatest results. 500 gigaflops isnt that much power, GTX 780 has more processing power than PS4 and XBox One put together.

bj00rn_

Banned
A 7 minute plus single lane point-to-point through a forest, devs don't make it because no one would play it.

Eh, even though is a 2006 (2004 on consoles) game RBR has one of the best active communities around, in addition to literally several hundred mods (it recently even got fully implemented VR mode, one of the best so far). It's all point to point races. And point-to-point rally games have traditionally sold very well. RBR might even have sold quite a bit more than Driveclub over its time. So you theory doesn't quite make sense. Just because it's not listed on your weekly TOP OF THE POPS!-list doesn't mean no one wants to play it. Driveclub fans of all should relate, because it's not exactly a number 1 seller, nor an acclaimed game.

A 7 minute plus single lane point-to-point through a forest, devs don't make it because no one would play it.

DC made P2P viable with 3 minute long tracks wide enough to put your foot down.
Speak for yourself. That track looks great! I would love a narrow track through the forest in Driveclub!

Take into account that Forza 5 has 16 cars on track and has to run advanced simulation on all of them, also was a launch title and has 320 cars to DC's 50 or so. Oh and runs at twice the framerate obviously.

Good thing that advanced weather and lightning simulations are basicly free, that is why every racing game has full weather and day-night cycles. Oh wait, they don't.

Also, just because DC isn't going full sim mode it doesn't mean that they arent doing heavy simulation under the hood.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
A GTX 780 has 1.5 Teraflops more processing power than a GTX 680, yet only yields 15 fps improvements. Its engine design, art direction, and the goals of the developers that yields the greatest results. 500 gigaflops isnt that much power, GTX 780 has more processing power than PS4 and XBox One put together.

500 gigaflops is more than an entire PS3, so more flops than used to render the entirety of TLoU, GoW, Killzone 2, Uncharted 3, etc.

Just because it's a small number relative to PC architecture does not mean it's something to dismiss when comparing two closed systems like the XBO and PS4.

psn

From 15 to 30 would be an improvement by 15fps. And it's twice the framerate :p

A bad example, because games on the PC are not that optimized in most cases. If you really want to compare the Flops and the performance, let's compare the GTX Titan and the 780ti. There is also a 500GFlops difference. Flops difference is only 11%. Still the 780ti is 20% faster. We have a 40% difference in Flops in the case of XB1 and PS4. I don't think we should downplay that forever...

Puts the power of these "next-gen" consoles into perspective.

It also cost 162.5% of a whole Playstation 4.

Whining about the specs of this gen's consoles got tiring at release, let alone one freaking year later.

Console specs are dictated by the market. If most customers were willing to buy a $1000 290X+FX-based, 500W PS/XB, Sony and Microsoft would had made them like so.

Agree, AC is awesome, I love driving cars in it, feels much better than PCars. But it's missing much, the graphics are just okay, it lacks weather, it doesn't have many cars and tracks, the menu could be much better designed and it lacks controller support to navigate.

And speaking about sims: the perfect sim would be: Driveclub's graphics and sounds, AC's physics and Gran Turismo's features. (not saying non-sims suck, love the others just as much, DC's car handling is great).

Assetto Corsa will likely come to PS4 in the near future, Kunos receveid ps4 dev kits earlier this year.

That is cool, more people need to experience this game. Goddamn Sony, step up your shoddy wheel support on PS4 please.

I also just saw on Facebook that Kunos got the Lambo license. And they just patched the RUF Yellowbird into the game. Can't wait for the Ring to be included.

You said Driveclub graphics. Last I checked.

I don't care what you last checked, I said graphics only, fps was not my point. It goes without saying the perfect sim would have 60fps. Not sure what you're even trying to argue.

You should learn to be more subtle if you want people to take you seriously. I know this thread has the purpose of vacuuming up shit posting so that it doesn't contaminate other threads, but I mean, come on

You're the one shitposting with replies like this. If you can't counter my criticism, don't try to ridicule it with 0 content driveby posts.

Jamesways

What is "advanced simulation"?

Something he heard the devs say one time.

Obviously he is talking about the crowd in Forza 5. Didn't you know 2D crowds take up a lot of processing power and bandwidth?

Sarcasm, obviously, but just in case someone couldn't tell

No no no, he meant what The Great Bearded One spoke of when saying Fm5 does things so advanced not even real F1 Simulators can handle them.

You know, like not having realistic pit stops, or racing 3-5 laps in a static, sunny, completely unchanging environments. Things F1 cars and tires really don't do, so I guess it's true from a certain point of view...

Har har.

This thread is excellent, I really need to go back and replay Dirt 2 and Fm4 if they look so much better than DC and pCARS.

Putty

DC is just a visual tour de force. Nothing out now, or in the foreseeable comes close. You may now lock the thread.

Well, I think this thread has nothing to add until PC gets released. On it's alpha state, it cannot touch DC, so let's wait for its proper release. DC utterly destroys every other racing game known to man graphically, so let's just wait and see if PC can catch up :)

rashbeep

Banned
That is cool, more people need to experience this game. Goddamn Sony, step up your shoddy wheel support on PS4 please.

I also just saw on Facebook that Kunos got the Lambo license. And they just patched the RUF Yellowbird into the game. Can't wait for the Ring to be included.

YES. I'm not sure who to blame for it, but wheel support is fucking terrible.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't care what you last checked, I said graphics only, fps was not my point. It goes without saying the perfect sim would have 60fps. Not sure what you're even trying to argue.

You're the one shitposting with replies like this. If you can't counter my criticism, don't try to ridicule it with 0 content driveby posts.

Driveclub wouldn't have these graphics if it was 60fps+ and wasn't a closed circuit arcade racer, that was my point. I'm sorry for mentioning Driveclub when it wasn't to go down on my knees and praise it. Now, continue circle-jerking and have a happy new year.

Tripolygon

Banned
This thread should be closed already. DC wins end of story. PCars look nice and so do FH2 but it's really not seeing DC visually.
Na the thread should be kept open, just for the Lulz. Every 2 to 3 weeks a new challenger pops up with a screenshot of "insert game name here" and claims said game looks better. From then on you hear things like DC road is uncanney valley, DC is a corridor racer etc etc. Then the usual DC is 30fps when the title of this thread is "Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off" and then the obligatory unquantifiable "insert game name here" runs advanced physics which of of course is "better" than DC. And then comes the bargain "well they both look great" after several previous post claiming "insert game name here" looks more real.
We are really splitting hairs now. Both look amazing, and DC was longer in development. In fact two main Forza and two Horizons came out between MS:A and DC.
I love the take-downs
Gameplay photomode
getphotoegu05.jpg
Vs
Driveclub in-game
xhwrdn.jpg
Got bored.
gxZfj5y.gif

I really like this thread because I like looking at the pretty pictures and .gifs, and I'll preface this by saying that all of these games have rubbish weather effects compared to Harvest Moon on the SNES, but DriveClub's lighting has always looked dramatically enhanced for mood rather than realism, thus I would agree that it looks "gamey".

As for Forza, it's a lot more subdued and "realistic" for lack of a better term, but that doesn't mean it's more or less appealing.

Jesus this post is really pathetic..

Driveclub wouldn't have these graphics if it was 60fps+ and wasn't a closed circuit arcade racer, that was my point. I'm sorry for mentioning Driveclub when it wasn't to go down on my knees and praise it. Now, continue circle-jerking and have a happy new year.

Man you have completely misunderstood me. All I said was that I want DC graphics+AC physics+GT features, basically taking some of the advantages of each game and put it in a single different, non-existent yet game... Not sure why you went on to bash DC, happy new year.

By default all these games suck. 1st to get Porsches wins in my book.

At least Drive Club has RUF. Also doesn't Project Cars have Porsche? (Not sure)

Dat salt. Also I believe the popular term to discredit DC is "corridor racer" :p

Na the thread should be kept open, just for the Lulz. Every 2 to 3 weeks a new challenger pops up with a screenshot of "insert game name here" and claims said game looks better. From then on you hear things like DC road is uncanney valley, DC is a corridor racer etc etc. Then the usual DC is 30fps when the title of this thread is "Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off" and then the obligatory unquantifiable "insert game name here" runs advanced physics which of of course is "better" than DC. And then comes the bargain "well they both look great" after several previous post claiming "insert game name here" looks more real.

Haha that seems pretty accurate.

As someone who develops games, not really.

You making games don't make the post any less stupid.
Saying the weather effects on a snes game look better than DC is funny.
Or saying DC lighting dramatically enhanced for mood rather than realism (it can be both)when racing is done under many conditions .
Maybe you can tell us what so dramatically enhanced about it ?

RayMaker

Banned
Finally got a chance to play FH2 and driveclub at my local GAME,

and while driveclub did have some good lighting and effects its seem to have got them at the expense of IQ (and fifa 15 had pristine IQ so the tv was not that badly calibrated) and at times the lighting did not seem that great at all. I was really underwhelmed.

Same go's for FH2 the IQ on the trees and stuff looked bad, though when playing the game going from driveclub to FH2 I dont think the lighting was that different really, also when it stated raining on the FH2 demo, that did look quite impressive.

The funny thing is I was most impressed by forza 5 the IQ just looked better, there was no obvious jaggies, like there were in FH2 and DC, I guess maybe 60fps really does make a difference.

Majanew

Banned
Honestly Horizon 2 really does not look that much better than GTA5 next gen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HXhoD1w3Pc

And it has way less going on and seemingly worse environment textures. Pop-in and non player cars also look pretty bad. The game is cool, but not much of a contender in this thread.

GTAV wishes it had that image quality.

The funny thing is I was most impressed by forza 5 the IQ just looked better, there was no obvious jaggies, like there were in FH2 and DC, I guess maybe 60fps really does make a difference.
Sorry, but I can't take that seriously. FM5 is plagued with jaggies.

Synth

The funny thing is I was most impressed by forza 5 the IQ just looked better, there was no obvious jaggies, like there were in FH2 and DC

I'm not going to lie... I never expected to ever read such an impression.

Forza 5's jaggies could cut through steel.

and while driveclub did have some good lighting and effects its seem to have got them at the expense of IQ (and fifa 15 had pristine IQ so the tv was not that badly calibrated) and at times the lighting did not seem that great at all. I was really underwhelmed.

Same go's for FH2 the IQ on the trees and stuff looked bad, though when playing the game going from driveclub to FH2 I dont think the lighting was that different really, also when it stated raining on the FH2 demo, that did look quite impressive.

Yup, DC IQ has been patched since release.

Also Forza 5 has no AA dude.

Nafai1123

Banned

That is pretty funny, especially since F5 has the worst IQ of the bunch with virtually no AA. As far as IQ goes it's FH2>DC>>>>>F5.

Top Bottom