• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Yeah, I think DC is the only racer that uses the same models all the time.

From Forza 4.
TH4d3mE.jpg

Forza 4 in-game is lol worthy.. How quickly times change. And I'm so glad last gen is over!

This particular model might be an exception though and not representative for the whole game. For another last-gen comparison, this seems to be the ingame model of GT6:

Not as good as the FM4 autovista model obviously, but not exactly "lol worthy" either.

To be fair even top PCs would probably choke on Forza's highest quality models on a track.

I doubt that , high end PCs are monsters in this day and age .
DC cars are 250k on a 1.8TFLOPS system and they got PCs that 3 to 4 times the TFLOPS (not count everything else)with just one gfx card.
PC hardware just crazy if you have the cash , to bad most of it is hardly used.

Wiktor

The perception of Driveclub is that it sacrifices advanced sim physics for its graphics and style of play, which is quite possibly the case. So now that we've seen what the PS4 can do with Driveclub, can we expect the next generation of PC sims to have that level of graphics or is there just too much going on "behind the scenes" in PC sims for this to be the case even on a PC?
PC racing sims are usually done by petite teams. They don't have many resources, so everything they got they put into physics. No ammount of hardware power will allow them to compete with console racers in terms of graphics. Especially since the more hardcore you go on realism the more niche the audience will be. Even on PC. THere's a reason why Project Cars pales in comparision to Assetto Corsa in physics

THere's a reason why Project Cars pales in comparision to Assetto Corsa in physics

See I read this a lot and having played 200+ hours in both I really don't see where it comes from? Some unfinished cars excepted what is it that people find so bad in the physics in PCars? I'm in no way an expert but they feel very similar to me?

eso76

What is Gameplay photomode supposed to mean? The models that is only in use when one car is on track?

i think so.
If you want to see what your car actually looks like ingame (full grid) i believe you could take a photomode pic of one of the CPU cars; their models aren't swapped for photomode and stay the same as ingame

ShamePain

Banned
Take into account that Forza 5 has 16 cars on track and has to run advanced simulation on all of them, also was a launch title and has 320 cars to DC's 50 or so. Oh and runs at twice the framerate obviously.

Marlenus

impressive stuff. Not quite up there with FM5 forzavista obviously, but close enough.

Really curious to see what Polyphony is cooking with GT7

I think it is better than the FM5 forzavista shot. the lighting on the metalwork in FM5 makes it look like plastic and it also looks very smooth, in the DC shot it looks like aluminium with the slightly textured surface it has.

The reflection in the forzavista shot is also really bad and blocky and the carbon fibre detailing around the water bottle looks better in DC too. The only slight downside to the DC shot is that it has more aliasing but since it is in game that is perfectly acceptable.

Further there is also shadowing within the engine bay in the DC shot but the forzavista shot only has a reflection on the glass but the bay under the glass looks flat like it has a single light source.

The DC shot is far far more impressive in almost all aspects apart from AA and probably geometry.

ShamePain

Banned
I think it is better than the FM5 forzavista shot. the lighting on the metalwork in FM5 makes it look like plastic and it also looks very smooth, in the DC shot it looks like aluminium with the slightly textured surface it has.

The reflection in the forzavista shot is also really bad and blocky and the carbon fibre detailing around the water bottle looks better in DC too. The only slight downside to the DC shot is that it has more aliasing but since it is in game that is perfectly acceptable.

Further there is also shadowing within the engine bay in the DC shot but the forzavista shot only has a reflection on the glass but the bay under the glass looks flat like it has a single light source.

The DC shot is far far more impressive in almost all aspects apart from AA and probably geometry.

We are really splitting hairs now. Both look amazing, and DC was longer in development. In fact two main Forza and two Horizons came out between MS:A and DC.

Marlenus

We are really splitting hairs now. Both look amazing, and DC was longer in development. In fact two main Forza and two Horizons came out between MS:A and DC.

If they were both in game play shots then I would agree that it is splitting hairs with the edge going to the DC shot. However one of those shots is an unplayable forza vista shot and it still looks worse than the mid race DC shot. To put it another way, the worst possible graphical level in DC looks better than the best possible graphical level in Forza 5.

If they were both in game play shots then I would agree that it is splitting hairs with the edge going to the DC shot. However one of those shots is an unplayable forza vista shot and it still looks worse than the mid race DC shot. To put it another way, the worst possible graphical level in DC looks better than the best possible graphical level in Forza 5.
That's it! buying DC digitally right this second!

psn

While that is true, it still is a face-off.

Forza 5 is really impressive because it is a launch title and 1080p 60fps without a single dip. And Turn10 is also a very efficient team as you already said.

Assetto Corsa is amazing, but unfortunately it seems to be too much of a sim (and is not on consoles) so it gets ignored on GAF. From a gameplay perspective it pretty much destroys GT/Forza/PC, etc. and deserves more love. Also from an audio and graphics perspective it is a very pleasing game.

Agree, AC is awesome, I love driving cars in it, feels much better than PCars. But it's missing much, the graphics are just okay, it lacks weather, it doesn't have many cars and tracks, the menu could be much better designed and it lacks controller support to navigate.

And speaking about sims: the perfect sim would be: Driveclub's graphics and sounds, AC's physics and Gran Turismo's features. (not saying non-sims suck, love the others just as much, DC's car handling is great).

Assetto Corsa will likely come to PS4 in the near future, Kunos receveid ps4 dev kits earlier this year.

ShamePain

Banned

That's 1.8 Tflops vs 1.3 TFLops difference right there.

bj00rn_

Banned
Uh I don't see what you are pointing to.
Also the snow particles are actual particles.

Good. It's clearly a more appropriate view, but I'm still not sure about the context of the gif.

And speaking about sims: the perfect sim would be: Driveclub's graphics and sounds, AC's physics and Gran Turismo's features.

Eh, 30fps in a game with Assetto Corsa physics would be an utter disaster. And exchange laser scanned tracks for sci-fi tracks, no thanks. 75fps, a good FFB wheel and a DK2 is the best way to play Assetto Corsa atm. Would like some of the non-bland GT features though, AC is a bit barren in that respect. Would rather have Raceroom sounds btw http://youtu.be/L4pu5iY_VRQ?t=3m1s.

Eh, 30fps in a...

Eh, eh, eh. Who said anything about fps? And no DK2 is not the best way to play AC, playing AC in VR atm is AWFUL. Unless you like nausea and being in a blurry but "zomg it's VR" environment and not being able to see 20m ahead of you. Also I said GT's features, which also means its cars and tracks. Not that I mind DC's sci fi tracks, they're awesome.

KidJr

I mean this thread seems semi sensible now.

Just wanted to add my two cents.

Driveclub does have very good models. What it does even better than models is bring everything together and hide its flaws (and there are a lot) better than any other racing game in motion. The lighting engine, the fact they use geometry based (as opposed textures on a flat surface) environments and the weather effects add visual a depth to the game I'm yet to see from any other racer. I think this is where a lot of other games falter, as the closer to photo realism you get the more out of place any weak areas (where graphics are concerned) is highlighted (flat trees, jaggied shadows etc).

Also for the record polyphony have been developing there premium models to have them in mind for the future. I think the versions we see gt5/6 are considerably scaled back from their original render. even then I'd say in terms of in game models, I'd say gt or pcars. However having such realistic models is only one half of the recipe in achieving depth.

I really cannot sing driveclubs praises enough, it does a lot wrong but that lighting engine needs to be experienced by everyone.

bj00rn_

Banned
Eh, eh, eh. Who said anything about fps?

You said Driveclub graphics. Last I checked, fps is an important part of graphics. Driveclub is 30fps, which is not at all suited for simulation and good physics (but sometimes ok for sci-fi arcade racers, like Driveclub), so no thanks to that as well. It does have good weather effects, I give it that, but let's be honest here, for "the perfect car racing game" everything else is quite a few steps back.

playing AC in VR atm is AWFUL..

You should learn to be more subtle if you want people to take you seriously. I know this thread has the purpose of vacuuming up shit posting so that it doesn't contaminate other threads, but I mean, come on..

Got bored.
gxZfj5y.gif

Driveclub has surprised the heck out of me, the game is so fun and intense, race after race! As someone who hails from Tamil Nadu(the beautiful southern state of India) it's such a joyful experience pushing all the horses inside the R8 on stormy weather conditions. I had my reservations on the car's handling(since I prefer playing NFS/Burnout like handling racing games), Driveclub's handling is easy to pick up but challenging to master, exciting to race nonetheless

Top Bottom