• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

adelante

PCars is set in the STALKER universe?

Lol.

Anyway, it isn't the best example but it gets my point across (multiple shadows from multiple headlights):

The AI can really handle the Nurburgring:

this_is_pcars_by_watevaman-d6sorw2.gif

bj00rn_

Banned
One of the most-respected sims, Grand Prix Legends, was designed to run at 36fps. Framerate is not the defining aspect of a sim.

Well, I respect your opinion (and your videos, thanks for those, please keep doing them), and I enjoyed racing games on my Amiga in ~15 fps average back in the days too.. Formula One Grand Prix was my favorite racer back then, but only did 10-15 fps.. But things move on you know, and a high rock solid framerate is pretty much a consensus requirement today for most kinds of simulations (although of course technically simulation/physics Hz is not limited by the output Hz, I know that much..), and of course like you say, single aspects are not defining per se. I enjoyed Grand Prix Legends back then as well btw :)

Wiktor

Said the guy posting this:

Yes, I did and I stand by it. You could take GPL and just upgrade the graphics, put it on modern consoles and it would be considered one of the most realistic and by far the most hardcore racing sim on those platforms.
Even on PC there aren't more than few racing sims today that heavily surpassed GPL. That game was the last time when somebody made a big budgeted hardcore racing simulator.
Heck..by far the most realistic racing sim today, which is iRacing, still uses a lot of GPL code.

Thank you sir, I'll be forever grateful for showing me the right path. You're a true role-model for forum posters everywhere. May I kiss your feet now?

No problem. Feel free to PM me for advice if you ever feel yourself slipping back into your past, shitposting ways.

And no, you may not.

DC is currently in the lead.

Corsa is runner up i think. Some of my RC 1.0 shots

The problem with AC right now - materials (DC ang GT are champions when it comes to realistic metal/colors) and modelling techniques. Some tracks/car parts doesn't feel right and real. I don't know how to describe it honestly.

0_936ff_dc017cd7_orig.jpg

0_93708_20079e24_orig.jpg

0_93723_919c9046_orig.jpg

Horizon 2 is sweet, but pardon me, it's far from real as Forza series ever was. FM was always a sweet game about colorful cars, totally unrealistic lighting and plastic instead if metal. It was always nice but not even close. GT5/6 is an ugly game from many points (some tracks are awfully textured) but the overall calm colorization and the palette the game uses makes it more realistic especially when you look at it in dynamic.

It is hard to achieve something real in FM4 even in photomode without tinkering with colours. This is the closest i can get.
0_6d955_510e9eea_orig.jpg

Horizon 1 was acid-yellow all along
0_785b2_741f3152_orig.jpg

Horizon 2 way better but still not there. Here i've lowered some of the exposure and color settings to make it right. It's much more acid and brighter in-game.
0_939c2_3eb1d15b_orig

GT6 on the other hand can done it right (even with some AA behind the scenes) in no-time.
0_88f17_8febe1bb_orig.jpg

0_890b8_90467294_orig.jpg

all the pics here (C) me

bj00rn_

Banned
No problem. Feel free to PM me for advice if you ever feel yourself slipping back into your past, shitposting ways.

And no, you may not.

Look at that, he's still going.. Awww, you're so cute! Maybe I have to adopt you.

Corsa is runner up i think.

0_936ff_dc017cd7_orig.jpg

Did you try it with the Oculus DK2? The cockpits are amazing. You can almost taste the fabrics/materials inside.

We had side discussions about realism here though and that's what I was replying too.

Geez..now I know why there were so many WTF reactions to my post :D Sorry, should have been more specific .

Well, from my side it didn't take much effort understanding what you meant. I suspect some people just didn't want to.

Look at that, he's still going.. Awww, you're so cute! Maybe I have to adopt you.

*Starts shitposting*

*Pulls the " I guess negative criticisms isn't allowed for this game" excuse when called out on said shitposting*

*Resorts to acting like a petulant child rather than contribute anything of worth to thread*

You are a first-class poster. Well done.

And don't worry, you can have the last remark. I'm done with you. To the ignore list you go.

ShamePain

Banned
DC is currently in the lead.

Corsa is runner up i think. Some of my RC 1.0 shots

The problem with AC right now - materials (DC ang GT are champions when it comes to realistic metal/colors) and modelling techniques. Some tracks/car parts doesn't feel right and real. I don't know how to describe it honestly.

AC is pretty impressive considering it has a tiny fraction of budget and manpower behind it compared every other racer listed here. Forza is the least impressive in this regard considering it has 500 people working on it.

AC is pretty impressive considering it has a tiny fraction of budget and manpower behind it compared every other racer listed here. Forza is the least impressive in this regard considering it has 500 people working on it.

Maybe if you didn't account for the output of Turn 10.

ShamePain

Banned
Maybe if you didn't account for the output of Turn 10.

Yeah, they release their games every two years, but the changes have been incremental, you would hope that after 10 years they would find a way to implements ToD and Weather. As it stands I doubt we'll either of those in Forza for this gen.

Peterpan

Yeah, they release their games every two years, but the changes have been incremental, you would hope that after 10 years they would find a way to implements ToD and Weather. As it stands I doubt we'll either of those in Forza for this gen.
If those are the only changes you consider as 'big' changes, I can see why you would think that.

ShamePain

Banned
If those are the only changes you consider as 'big' changes, I can see why you would think that.

They add some stuff, they take something out. Forza 5 is completely stripped down compared to FM4, the economy is screwed up, the career is extremely repetitive, even worse that previous versions. The only guys that deserve praise for FM5 is physics team and audio team, those were the best parts of the game and a massive leap forward. Everyone else on the team didn't give a damn about the final product.

The handling model from 2&3 to 4 was huge, and 5 is the best yet on a console. They have been trying to get rain in their engine since they shipped 3 (jalopnick did a studio tour and there were boards with rain on the floor) but they never were able to accomplish it because they didn't want to impact the rock solid 60fps. Digital foundry did a few articles gushing over there achievements in obtaining their frame rate. Those things will come, but if it means screen tearing or dropped frames I would rather not have them.

They add some stuff, they take something out. Forza 5 is completely stripped down compared to FM4, the economy is screwed up, the career is extremely repetitive, even worse that previous versions. The only guys that deserve praise for FM5 is physics team and audio team, those were the best parts of the game and a massive leap forward. Everyone else on the team didn't give a damn about the final product.

Your just being silly now.

The handling model from 2&3 to 4 was huge, and 5 is the best yet on a console.
How can you possibly experience that "model" without a proper wheel? I see no true sim-wheels for Xone on the mass-market right now. PS4 at least can use pricey but pro-like and widely available T500RS.

That being said Forza 5 is the most lazy game i've played on my XO. Track assets are horrible (trees like those from tablet games and of course those legendary flat spectrators), sounds mostly taken from FM4 as did the sheer amount of car models. The complaint about models to be honest is fair even with Horizon 2, there's a lot of cars in garage that looks more like "pre-premiums" from GT6 than true next-gen models because some of them taken directly from Forza 4 and slightly tuned up here and there.

One thing FM5 did almost right - overall illumination model and shadows. But hey, FM5 looked bland even versus NFS: Rivals, so good luck with 6th installment. I hope to see weather in "big" Forza before i have any grandchildren.

How can you possibly experience that "model" without a proper wheel? I see no true sim-wheels for Xone on the mass-market right now. PS4 at least can use pricey but pro-like and widely available T500RS.

The tx wheel for PC/xbox one is arguably superior to the T500s (newer motor/ffb system) and made by the same manufacturer. I find this wheel vastly superior to my old fanatec setup and clearly in the sim-wheel category.

That being said Forza 5 is the most lazy game i've played on my XO. Track assets are horrible (trees like those from tablet games and of course those legendary flat spectrators), sounds mostly taken from FM4 as did the sheer amount of car models.

I found the track assets, physics, and sound to be the strong points in forza 5 that keep me coming back. Every track is laser scanned and feels phenomenal with the new physics. Sure you can find a few flat trees and spectators here and there, but outside of photo mode or parking on the track, I never notice them. I also found some pretty horrible assets in other racing games that are a moot point as you don't see them during gameplay. It's mainly a level of detail decision to ensure smooth performance.

adelante

I seriously doubt they would've been able to implement weather on last gen Forzas at a satisfactory level given their stringent performance goals (native 720p, constant 60fps). I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt for Forza 5 since it's a launch title but they've really got no excuse for Forza 6.

looks simple as hell after DC. worst SSR ive ever seen.

Yep, second video's especially bad. Though I'm wondering if the game was running at a lower quality graphical setting.

I seriously doubt they would've been able to implement weather on last gen Forzas at a satisfactory level given their stringent performance goals (native 720p, constant 60fps). I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt for Forza 5 since it's a launch title but they've really got no excuse for Forza 6.

Yep, second video's especially bad. Though I'm wondering if the game was running at a lower quality graphical setting.

even ultra settings have terrible SSR, so that could be ultra. the lightning strikes only illuminating certain select trees and revealing their low res 2d billboard nature made me chuckle

Those Project Car videos look really bad...
Specially the second one. Lighting seems like only changes the color of everything on screen for a second, and even without any kind of transition, looks awful.

But what bothers me the most, is the road water pouring from the front cars, it seems like it's just blobs of flat alpha textures one after another. Looks incredibly fake, exaggerated, and breaks the immersion.

DC weather is really unmatched, no other game can touch it, yet...

About PC, at first I only checked some nice, carefully doctored pictures of PC, great angles and precise lighting and all that, but never saw gameplay pictures or videos posted regularly, so I started looking, and it didn't look nice. These videos show the same thing. PC looks great only when the car is the focus of the screenshot, since they do have great detail. Gameplay is a different story though, doesn't look half as nice, and I hope the game looks substantially better on release. I certainly plan to play it on my gtx 970 since I love racing sims.

Good thing I have one.

Thrustmaster TX is a great wheel. I used a Fanatec during the PS3/360 days and its quite the improvement.

Its funny how you didn't know it existed, and calling the T500 pro like is laughable.

Sipheren

Banned

The TX wheel (which I have) is in many ways much better than the T500, the smoothness of the wheel and the force feedback are awesome. I also have the T3PA pedals and will be getting the better Ferrari 458 Challenge Wheel and TH8A shifter, should make for a really nice setup.

Just a comment on the pCars v DC gfx discussion, one thing to remember is that pCars is running at 60fps+ for me and 60fps on consoles, DC is 30fps. It stands to reason that DC would look better in some areas.

A couple from pCars and one Assetto.

8.jpg

9.jpg

1.jpg

Love the helmet mod for Assetto.

The TX wheel (which I have) is in many ways much better than the T500, the smoothness of the wheel and the force feedback are awesome. I also have the T3PA pedals and will be getting the better Ferrari 458 Challenge Wheel and TH8A shifter, should make for a really nice setup.

Just a comment on the pCars v DC gfx discussion, one thing to remember is that pCars is running at 60fps+ for me and 60fps on consoles, DC is 30fps. It stands to reason that DC would look better in some areas.

A couple from pCars and one Assetto.

8.jpg

9.jpg

1.jpg

Love the helmet mod for Assetto.
I'm assuming the top two are from Assetto and the bottom is from pCars?

Top pics remind me of Forza 5 and the only good looking thing in the bottom pic is the car.

Top Bottom