• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen Xbox - Release Date Rumor, Specs, And Everything Else We Know

pasterpl

Microsoft's vision for the future of Xbox goes beyond its own hardware--as the company looks to extend into streaming and mobile--but that doesn't mean Microsoft is abandoning Xbox hardware--far from it. The company has said, time and again, that it aims to offer a range of ways for people to become Xbox customers, and that includes via Xbox consoles.

But what's coming next after the Xbox Series X|S? The future is still fuzzy, but Microsoft has dropped clues and made statements about what's next. In this post, we're rounding up everything we know so far about the next Xbox console.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

No Way GIF

Boglin

Hybrid PC/Xbox that can play all the games Xbox Series can currently play as well as everything on PC......that will be a compelling product. Just hope the ARM rumors are false.
I kind of hope the ARM rumors are true. I'm on a retro handheld kick right now and like the idea of a pocket sized xbox someday in the future

phant0m

IMO, the smart move would be to make an stripped-down version of Windows called XboxOS with a gaming-focused UI that people can install on any x86 hardware and will support the Xbox Store/App along with 3rd party apps like Steam, GFN, etc. Basically beat Valve to HoloOS on PC with the big advantage of supporting Windows-only anticheat

The ROG Ally / Legion Go run a lot more games than the Deck (and better too) but Windows 10/11 is a terrible experience for a gaming OS. So much bloat. So many unnecessary components. Strip it down to a touch/controller friendly main UI, take out the mobile integrations, mail and productivity 'tools' and most of all get the fucking office ads out of my face. And I don't want to see a goddamn thing about Edge or Copilot unless I go looking for it

Last edited:

Loxus

Hybrid PC/Xbox that can play all the games Xbox Series can currently play as well as everything on PC......that will be a compelling product. Just hope the ARM rumors are false.
It could be using AMD and ARM at the same time.

Here it talks about a balance of Big / Little CPU Cores.
DTCbYfT.png

So it could just be this:
Big CPU Cores = Zen6
Little CPU Cores = ARM64

It would resemble Apple's M3 Max P-Cores and E-Cores.
9ue2Lu9.jpeg

RCU005

It all seem that Sony will have a new console next generation (PS6). If Xbox goes hybrid (cloud/pc-xbox) it will be interesting to see if Sony will want to follow suit.

PS+ could be very different in a few years if Microsoft’s strategy turns out successful.

Still, I believe that Microsoft is just becoming third party with extra steps.

Humdinger

The only interesting part (to me) is the possibility of Steam/Epic etc. integration. If they can do that, I'd be interested. Depends on what the other competition (e.g., Steam Deck) is offering around that time.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I know a little bit about the handheld, but that’s all. Actually, the other thing I know (which is pretty easily inferred) is that because of the backlash after the leak, a lot of the plans outlined there have now changed.

I just hope whatever they do, it ends up being cool. It would really suck to have less competition in the console space.

nick776

I know a little bit about the handheld, but that’s all. Actually, the other thing I know (which is pretty easily inferred) is that because of the backlash after the leak, a lot of the plans outlined there have now changed.

I just hope whatever they do, it ends up being cool. It would really suck to have less competition in the console space.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "a lot of the plans outlined there have now changed?" What changed specifically is what I am asking?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "a lot of the plans outlined there have now changed?" What changed specifically is what I am asking?
I don’t know more than the plans for their next console “changed”, compared to what was in the leak. I could try to infer what that means in context, but it would just be speculation.

I guess the other thing is they apparently bailed on that cylindrical digital console.

Sorry I’m not more helpful. I really don’t know anything, just some small meaningless tidbits about the handheld and some random stuff. Nothing juicy though.

TrebleShot

Traditional xbox is dead.
It will be more like a steam machine/GP machine. Like a console version of the ally.

In fact I expect it to be a system that you can dock with an egpu in the dock to bring it up to 4k/60.

I'd buy it instantly.

Sony should do the same and make a launcher for pc with compelling features.

ZehDon

Didnt someone from Xbox say the next console theyre making is going to be the most powerful ever. Which most likely is not a portable device.
We're likely to see two distinct hardware releases: an ultra-spec console that sits well outside of the usual console price range (think USD$799+) and then a lower-spec handheld that falls more in line with typical console pricing (USD$499-549). I suspect the handheld will be dockable in some fashion. The goal would be to release a console now that's so far ahead that it can compete with the PS6 when it eventually arrives, but has a two year head-start. The other machine offers buy-in at a lower price by catering to the Switch and PC handheld market. Given Microsoft's focus on AI, I suspect we'll see bespoke AI hardware in both machines that allows them to punch way above their on-paper specs.

Fess

Here it talks about a balance of Big / Little CPU Cores.
DTCbYfT.png

Big CPU Cores = Zen6
Little CPU Cores = ARM64

9ue2Lu9.jpeg
Can’t put AMD and ARM on the same silicon can they?
Looks like that slide shows a versus scenario, like they’re trying to decide what to choose.

Mahavastu

Big CPU Cores = Zen6
Little CPU Cores = ARM64

I do not think it would work to have different big/little cores which are not compatible to each other (ARM and X86 have incompatible Instruction sets).
It would be rather both ARM or both X86, otherwise you would make it much more complicated for the devs without much advantage.

Fess

I do not think it would work to have different big/little cores which are not compatible to each other (ARM and X86 have incompatible Instruction sets).
It would be rather both ARM or both X86, otherwise you would make it much more complicated for the devs without much advantage.
Yeah a x86 and ARM combo, how would that even work, and who would make it?

And I can’t see ARM as a good choice here if they want it to be a PC. I’m no coder but as far as I know they would need to use x86 emulation on everything, standard Steam versions are compiled for Windows and x86. Would just be a mess to get optimization done well and patches synched up with the main version. I assume they want to use ARM for energy efficiency, and for a handheld it would make sense, but why do it if they essentially want to make a PC for the living room running normal Steam, Epic, Ubi games and Windows? Just seems like extra problems with little gains. Just go with one of the upcoming AMD CPUs. If they plan to let it go up a notch in price there should be some headroom for a regular CPU and sufficient cooling.

midnightAI

If the Steam rumours are true then this new ”Xbox” would run Playstation games.
So Microsoft would create a box that would cause people to drop Gamepass? Sounds like a good idea, not good for their 'engagement' though, unless, heh, you are required to have Gamepass to play steam, but that's just stupid, they wouldn't do that now would they..... Would they?

King Dazzar

The issue I have with Xbox is simply around trust. Whatever next gen looks like for Xbox, I'll be very hesitant and sceptical. Make the best most innovative bit of kit in the world and I'm still going to have major confidence issues investing in it. We'll see.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
If the Steam rumours are true then this new ”Xbox” would run Playstation games.

It'll also be priced closer to the cost of an Xbox Series X and a PS5 combined if not considerably more... So not sure that is the "win" you think it is, just to play "PlayStation" games at a later date, all of which assumes Sony doesn't push forward their own PC launcher and assumes this launcher would work on said device.

Microsoft going pure software/subs makes sense. They've struggled with hardware sales for over a decade now. Netflix doesn't make hardware. Spotify made Car Thing and they quickly discontinued it. There isn't a ton of money in hardware unless you're a market leader and Microsoft is clearly preparing for a post-hardware marketplace and since it is already struggling with hardware, it makes sense to get out.

Enter this hybrid console-PC, which is just a PC with the Xbox ecosystem on it. Their goal is now to challenge Steam more so than PlayStation. They're in a race to become a platform and Sony is in the same race too, but they have an easier method of competing because of their position in the console market. They've already established themselves as a leading platform. Sony will be entering the PC market too, but they're less likely to put out a console-PC hybrid, because it doesn't make sense for them to do so.

Loxus

Can’t put AMD and ARM on the same silicon can they?
Looks like that slide shows a versus scenario, like they’re trying to decide what to choose.
Wouldn't they have said or instead, like with the GPU?

GPU: Co-design w/ AMD or license AMD IP (Navi 5)

The vs. could just be a case of intensive tasks (Zen6) vs. less intensive tasks (ARM64). A setup similar to Intel's P & E Cores.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
The issue I have with Xbox is simply around trust. Whatever next gen looks like for Xbox, I'll be very hesitant and sceptical. Make the best most innovative bit of kit in the world and I'm still going to have major confidence issues investing in it. We'll see.

As a PC, there is little reason to be hesitant or skeptical. The support is going to be there because PC has development support.

The question is whether you'll want to buy it. Prebuilt gaming PCs that aren't easily upgradable as this will have a pretty set form factor. Reminds me a lot of early Dells desktops.

They'll push for a design that is similar to a mini-ITX build. Think Alienware X51 with Microsoft branding.

Fess

So Microsoft would create a box that would cause people to drop Gamepass? Sounds like a good idea, not good for their 'engagement' though, unless, heh, you are required to have Gamepass to play steam, but that's just stupid, they wouldn't do that now would they..... Would they?
Gamepass is it’s own thing, you don’t drop Gamepass because you have access to Steam. I use Gamepass to play games I don’t want to buy, like to go through a campaign in Call of Duty.

The way the rumours go they’ll make a device where you have access to your Steam, Epic, Ubi library, plus Gamepass, and your original Xbox, 360, XB1 legacy library, from the same UI.
It could be a great thing if the hardware is good enough.

But it’s rumours. Use salt.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Thats what killed sega as platform holder, they did amazingly in 8 and mid 16bit era, then they had those terrible add-ons like 32x and segacd, later saturn that sold awfully and got abandoned much faster than first playstation, so we- customers- even back then in late 90s had 0 trust in the machine and company, even tho they had great games/exclusives unlike xbox nowadays- they dont even have exclusives anymore.

Top Bottom