• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen Xbox - Release Date Rumor, Specs, And Everything Else We Know

Can you tell us more info on this, and how does it compare to PS6?
When these statements are made, it usually pertains to the manufacturers brand. It’s not a comparison. Clearly the PS6 will most likely be a little better, but Microsoft wants to be early to the next-gen party.

Last edited:
I like to think they will take the switch idea to the usual Microsoft extreme and go with a handheld with a gpu powered dock. More ram and storage also built in

Perhaps even docks that may boost the overall system power far beyond the handheld itself. With different level of performance gpus available. At of course different price brackets

That’s seems a natural avenue to explore and they can have different gpu docks for different price brackets for different experiences based on cost and market targets. While not having to make all the kit themselves. More a overall plan and invite partners to manufacture and sell

This would also make the docking station far larger than what comes with today’s switch or handheld device

I can’t see them not trying to tap into more of the handheld market, while bring other oems into supporting their traditional console arena (again offering more choice to their target audience). Covering everything from a base level of power that is set a the ‘floor for performance’. Up to the various options within a gpu family

As they have found out. The competing with PlayStation for a home console is just not working out as well as Microsoft hoped originally. So fresh tactics are needed to stimulate new potential markets for game pass (think native games and streaming on the handheld)

Last edited:
Largest technical leap? I guess it's not "the most powerful console" pitch anymore, thankfully.

That could mean so many different things like
- We are using zen 6 and RDNA6 tech... on a power limited handheld.
- We are using the most sophisticated tools in order to give our customers the best... Cloud gaming.

EDIT: if HeisenbergFX4 likes this post it doesn't mean I am right in any ways...

Last edited:

Nelly_Nel_7.1.3

Neo Member
At this point do anyone care or trust Microsoft to make a powerful console to rival Sony PS6? I rather just play Microsoft first party games on PS6, Switch 2, and my Steam Deck. Because that where those first party games are going to end up on those gaming platforms anyway.

demigod

Largest technical leap? I guess it's not "the most powerful console" pitch anymore, thankfully.

- We are using the most sophisticated tools in order to give our customers the best... Cloud gaming.

EDIT: if HeisenbergFX4 likes this post it doesn't mean I am right in any ways...
Technical leap is most likely being able to play previous gen xbox games and also any PC games and their storefronts.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Technical leap is most likely being able to play previous gen xbox games and also any PC games and their storefronts.
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree. That's really all I expected. If they can get that emulation layer into Windows, that is plenty. Then you can just get their version of the hardware, or any PC if you want something else. And it would be a pretty significant leap, even if it's mostly software.

Probably some AI uprez stuff as well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

preview.jpg

That would be awesome.

King Dazzar

I've still got my toe in Xbox's water with my XSX. So I hope they bring out something exciting. I really do. But my fear is, if its an expensive PC hybrid. As interesting as that might be. I'd have to get past my complete loss of trust and confidence in Xbox, to then go spending serious wonga...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Unlikely its Zen 6 as of about a year ago anyhow

I have this intuition and gut feeling that MS is on the verge of dismantling and destroying anything relevant to 'consoles' and 'video game tribalism' and focusing more on their ecosystem. Not saying they are not making a shiny new hardware; it's just the business model and marketing is going to be nothing like what we have now.

kevboard

it seems to me, by using one of the new Strix Point mobile chips, Microsoft could release a Series S compatible handheld, that could maybe even use AI upscaling when connecting to a TV.

so why wait for next gen, when they could finally utilize the library that they and 3rd party devs already created for the Series S, to give that system some new shine!?

Xbox Series S Portable.
Xbox Series SP.

Microsoft has an upscaler that works with all games too. while yes, it does add input latency, as an option it could be beneficial, and the Strix Point APUs can run it.
so why wait for next gen with a handheld?

Top Bottom