• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen Xbox - Release Date Rumor, Specs, And Everything Else We Know

Orbital2060

No, that's not what they said.

“What we’re really focused on there is delivering the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation, which makes it better for players and better for creators and the visions that they’re building.”
-Sarah Bond

Yeah, thats what I was thinking about. Thanks.

Topher

Gold Member
rockos modern life nicksplat GIF

Jim Carrey Idk GIF

I mean nothing he is referring to is news. We've known the general format at least allegedly for some time now.

• Premium product sold at a premium price
    • Largest generational leap (at a time when leaps are minimal)
  • Access to multiple storefronts
  • Potentially built by multiple manufacturers

From these things we can sus out a general look and feel.

Microsoft allowing sales to go to other storefronts means that they'll have significantly reduced revenues, so they're not going to sell this premium product at cost or for a loss. Which means high margin, which also means niche. Licensing out to other manufacturers means their goal is to sell more hardware with their storefront, again meaning they aren't expecting high hardware sales volume.

We also know that they plan to allow you to play previous xbox games and maintain your library likely through virtualization (though I wouldn't bank on this promise being kept 100%).

You're looking at a product that is probably closer to 1,200 USD if not more. They'll bleed xbox fans just like they're doing with console gamepass vs PC gamepass, and their influencers like Colt will push for people to eat that up.
Now way they release a $1,200 console. That will be way too much for the typical console crowd to purchase and pc gamers won't have to reason to "upgrade" to a lesser machine. The only way I can see that is if they also offer a standard priced console along with the ps6.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Now way they release a $1,200 console. That will be way too much for the typical console crowd to purchase and pc gamers won't have to reason to "upgrade" to a lesser machine. The only way I can see that is if they also offer a standard priced console along with the ps6.
There should be a dockable handheld for said typical console crowd

I kind of hope the ARM rumors are true. I'm on a retro handheld kick right now and like the idea of a pocket sized xbox someday in the future

Maybe the handheld uses ARM but the box system sticks with x86-64. That is a possibility.

IMO, the smart move would be to make an stripped-down version of Windows called XboxOS with a gaming-focused UI that people can install on any x86 hardware and will support the Xbox Store/App along with 3rd party apps like Steam, GFN, etc. Basically beat Valve to HoloOS on PC with the big advantage of supporting Windows-only anticheat

The ROG Ally / Legion Go run a lot more games than the Deck (and better too) but Windows 10/11 is a terrible experience for a gaming OS. So much bloat. So many unnecessary components. Strip it down to a touch/controller friendly main UI, take out the mobile integrations, mail and productivity 'tools' and most of all get the fucking office ads out of my face. And I don't want to see a goddamn thing about Edge or Copilot unless I go looking for it

I do think eventually this is what MS will do, or something to this effect. But it also gives them virtually zero monetization options. Who is going to pay for an "Xbox OS" on PC when people are already being conditioned to either not pay for Windows 11 (via free upgrade through Win10), or pay very cheap for a license key? If it runs 3P apps like Steam and doesn't tie access somehow to Game Pass, then most people will just buy the games on those 3P apps, and MS gets no money from that.

They can't really tie access to those 3P apps like Steam or GOG to Game Pass on PC because PC gamers would just laugh at them and avoid Xbox OS altogether, sticking with regular Windows, and getting those apps the normal way. I think if anything, MS would rather first make an Xbox compatibility layer that can run through regular Windows, optimized for OG Xbox, 360, XBO and Series games plus games on the Microsoft/Windows store, and have that 'OS' available exclusively through their own storefront. If it's good enough, they could package it as something they then sell to users on storefronts like Steam to get "the best comprehensive Xbox gaming experience".

But that is probably maybe 7-10 years away because once MS go that route, they are basically relinquishing control over most monetization options. It's a "last step". For now they still have other avenues, which is why I've been thinking their 10-gen hardware plan could look more like this:

-At least two SKUs: one a NUC-style mini PC (modular upgrades for DRAM, approved low-profile GPUs, SSDs), one a "PC handheld" (non-upgradable outside maybe SSD storage)​
-NUC-style mini PC model with spec based roughly equivalent to PS6-tier performance. PC handheld spec based roughly equivalent to something between Series S and Series X​
-Spec design and standard maintained by Microsoft & AMD (and/or other partner(s))​
-Standardized spec with semi-regular refreshes every 2-3 years​
-Possible variant models from OEMs (Asus, Acer, Dell etc) in different form factors (laptops, tablets etc.) and changes to fixed perf specs (uplock or downclock of CPU, GPU, RAM speeds etc for target device profile); can add other things like extra USB ports, Thunderbolt ports, microSD card slots and more​
-Same Xbox OS as current systems but with extended Windows features included to run whitelisted Windows apps from the official storefront (Windows app makers don't need to make specific "Xbox" builds of programs)​
-Licensing model with OEMs built around them making custom Xbox OS frontends (can include their own programs natively built-in if preferred) and putting in wafer orders through Microsoft. Microsoft assisting in part of manufacturing/assembly process for OEMs​
-Access to other gaming storefronts will depend on manufacturer:​
-Microsoft: Likely tied to a certain Game Pass subscription tier. Allows for somewhat cheaper upfront cost (subsidization via Game Pass), relatively higher production volume vs OEMs​
-OEMs: Available normally (not tied to Game Pass). Limited subsidization model, higher upfront cost, lower production volume​
-Base price for MS NUC/mini-PC Xbox: $699 (or $749-$799, depending on PS6 pricing). OEM variants: starting at $799 (or $849/$899)​
-Base price for MS "PC" Xbox portable: $499/$549 depending on performance and features. OEM variants: depending on form factor & features​
-"Cheaper" variants can be had through disabling cores & lowering clocks to scale performance (i.e a $399 "entry" MS NUC/mini-PC Xbox lowering it closer to PS5 Pro performance)​

Fess

There should be a dockable handheld for said typical console crowd
Have you heard something about that?
That would make some sense.
A more expensive PC box thing for those who commonly buy the launch console and don’t hesitate buying the middle of the generation upgrade too for performance, $1,000-$1,200.
A cheaper dockable handheld for those who just want a cheap console, Switch and Series S customers, $400-$600.

Last edited:

Bry0

Remake the Series X in white :)

Honestly thats the rub unless they shock us and bring out maybe the handheld earlier? I don't know the timing on that thing

I think 2026 at the very latest I dont see it slipping into '27

I know I am in the thats laughable not happening camp but I still wouldn't rule out late next year especially if they let other companies build this Xbox/PC hybrid with a certain set of specs.
If the OEMs can build it, I wonder if MS would make a special version of windows and make it public?

For security concerns perhaps not, I would imagine they would want more control or controlled hardware spec. But it would be cool if I could just install it into the htpc I just built.

“What we’re really focused on there is delivering the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation, which makes it better for players and better for creators and the visions that they’re building.”
-Sarah Bond
if there's unique hardware, and an exclusive game or two i like, ill buy

never been an xbox fan (x360 was decent) but it feels like sony's on autopilot

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
To everyone who thinks x86 games do not run on Arm, think again. The new snapdragon processors can easily interpret x86 games to run on ARM. Windows also has a built in interpreter as well. The Windows Surface can run anything with surprisingly great results. Once their AMD ARM chip comes out it could be a real contender. Microsoft and ARM have a website to track what games and how well they run.
Video of x86 games running on an ARM based Surface.

Fess

To everyone who thinks x86 games do not run on Arm, think again. The new snapdragon processors can easily interpret x86 games to run on ARM. Windows also has a built in interpreter as well. The Windows Surface can run anything with surprisingly great results. Once their AMD ARM chip comes out it could be a real contender. Microsoft and ARM have a website to track what games and how well they run.
Video of x86 games running on an ARM based Surface.

I didn’t watch the whole video but I saw a $1,500 device dropping below 60 in Ori, Control running at avg 60fps at 1080p Low at and The Witcher 3 at 60fps at 720p Low.

I think people expect a little more than that for a next generation console.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

They are no longer competing with Sony in the console arena.

They'll be looking to release a product more powerful than PS6 but without selling it at a loss. They're almost certainly going to go off the shelf which will drastically increase the cost (but lower R&D costs).

The cheapest Surface starts for like 1000 and isn't a gaming powerhouse. You can build a desktop for cheaper, but you're still going to have to throw down on GPU costs that won't be high volume. That is a super high premium.

At this point, given the abysmal hardware sales, Microsoft should really look to integrate something like Valves 'big picture mode' into Windows itself. Like a fully featured Xbox OS overlay.

Steamdeck and the Windows based competitors are already pretty much what an Xbox handheld would be. The difference being that Microsoft would have fully custom silicon and an OS that was designed to be used on a small screen touch device/controller. If Microsoft introduced a dock alongside the handheld containing a more powerful GPU then that would work nicely.

Seriously, Windows with a proper Xbox OS overlay is the only thing that may see me return to the fold. The only reason I don't game on PC is because I don't want to deal with drivers, settings and weird compatibility issues.

Darsxx82

Bump tread but I think is it interesting here? (Posted today 15 August 2024)

Principal Electrical Engineer​

Overview
The Gaming Devices + Artificial Intelligence Engineering team is a team of diverse and exceptionally creative professionals who design, test and manufacture some of the best-loved gaming devices in the world. Our teams ship tens of millions of hardware products every year including the Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, a full accessories lineup, and more. Come be part of what’s next for the future of gaming!

The Gaming Devices development team is seeking a Principal Electrical Engineer to drive our hardware development efforts for Artificial Intelligence across existing and future products. The Principal Electrical Engineer will lead the design and development of cutting-edge AI hardware systems. This role requires a blend of expertise in hardware engineering, machine learning, and AI algorithm development.

The candidate will possess the ability to collaborate closely with our software team, System in a Chip design/architecture team, System in a Chip development partners, electrical team, test/manufacturing team, and mechanical/thermal development team, to ensure all AI experiences and goals are met or exceeded while delivering world-class end-to-end AI experience

The candidate will be versed in hardware architecture, NPUs, AI input methods, electrical engineering, System in a Chip architecture, system architecture, Firmware, Hardware (HW) accelerators, AI and Machine Learning (ML) benchmarking, Small Language Models/ Large Language Models.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Bump tread but I think is it interesting here? (Posted today 15 August 2024)

Principal Electrical Engineer​

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4
I have felt the great tech leap ever seen meant AI when Bond said something along those lines

Hiring now sure wouldn't make sense for this next Xbox because they are deep into its development unless something drastic changed their course

Darsxx82

I have felt the great tech leap ever seen meant AI when Bond said something along those lines

Hiring now sure wouldn't make sense for this next Xbox because they are deep into its development unless something drastic changed their course
It is clear that this is what She was referring to when he talked about the biggest graphic leap because due to a leap in computational power it was not possible.

And seeing the latest advances in AI, I'm sure that they have seen something behind the scenes that we don't know.

On the other hand, I believe that this job offer is more aimed at reinforcing the workforce and accelerating (as Sarah Bond announced) the work of developing this new hardware, whatever it may be, and that it will be totally oriented to AI-based technology. .

It is clear that this is what She was referring to when he talked about the biggest graphic leap because due to a leap in computational power it was not possible.

And seeing the latest advances in AI, I'm sure that they have seen something behind the scenes that we don't know.

On the other hand, I believe that this job offer is more aimed at reinforcing the workforce and accelerating (as Sarah Bond announced) the work of developing this new hardware, whatever it may be, and that it will be totally oriented to AI-based technology. .

To be clear she said technical not graphical.

Darsxx82

Another bump

It seems that MS has a booth open for those who visit Gamescon to leave their feedback on what they want from Xbox hardware for the future......

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , Could you mobilize your contacts and save the Xbox hardware? 😂😂

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Another bump

It seems that MS has a booth open for those who visit Gamescon to leave their feedback on what they want from Xbox hardware for the future......

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , Could you mobilize your contacts and save the Xbox hardware? 😂😂

I would repeat to him what I have told him in the past

Give me that damn Elite Series 3 controller

Oh and they shouldn't have shelved the Sebile controller, that thing sounded decent

Darsxx82

Oh and they shouldn't have shelved the Sebile controller, that thing sounded decent

I want to think that they decided to postpone its launch to accompany the new hardware..... I wouldn't understand any other reason since the business of selling Xbox video game controllers is very profitable for them and I think it would have even served to attract new XSeries users and gain market share vs PS5 controller.

Understanding MS is impossible...

clarky

Gold Member

The elite 3 needs haptics, gyro and better reliability and it would litterally be the perfect controller for me.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
  1. Controller with gyro, quiet buttons. No haptic trigger bullshit.
  2. Open store. Streamlined console UI (ideally display all games from all stores in one spot). Full backwards compatibility. Keep Quick Resume.
  3. No fee to play online.
  4. Powerful, meant to last 7 years at level of PS6 or better. Don't care if it's expensive.
  5. Small form factor similar to Series X. Quiet.
  6. 2 TB storage.
Disc drive optional as an attachment.

Handheld is fine too. Pretty much the same requests.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
And Hall effect sticks

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals
I'd pay double the current retail price for all that. Not even joking.

I tried the scuff range after my Elite 2 died a while back and hated it. Light, plasticity and the paddles are not a patch on the elite. I did like the adjustable microswitch triggers though.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

1. Controller with gyro, quiet buttons. No haptic trigger bullshit.
  2. Open store. Streamlined console UI (ideally display all games from all stores in one spot). Full backwards compatibility. Keep Quick Resume.
  3. No fee to play online.
  4. Powerful, meant to last 7 years at level of PS6 or better. Don't care if it's expensive.
  5. Small form factor similar to Series X. Quiet.
  6. 2 TB storage.
Disc drive optional as an attachment.

Handheld is fine too. Pretty much the same requests.
The best move would be to change the timing regarding the launch of a new PS console.

If the goal is to be a PC hybrid or even Steam compatibility, better to look towards PC hardware upgrade times and not those of a competing console.

The most important thing to attract the interest of a user in times where exclusive games are not going to be, ....os the support that the 3rd parties offer.
The main fear of every person is investing in a product that has the danger of becoming a paperweight if it is not successful.

Compatibility with PC games and above-normal hardware powerfull is what could fully ensure support regardless of sales.

The business for MS?? Well, if they want to make a profit with these basis, what MS should ensure is that the games in the Xbox store are best optimized versions for that hardware.

Darsxx82

And a new indication to add to those already mentioned about the development of the next Xbox hardware.

Another job offer: Senior Mechanical Engineer (23 August 2024)

https://jobs.careers.microsoft.com/global/en/job/1741848/Senior-Mechanical-Engineer

The Xbox Hardware team is a diverse and creative group that designs, tests and makes some of the world's most popular entertainment devices. We ship millions of hardware products every year. Join us to work on the next generation of Xbox! We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer who can lead complex test planning and execution through tough product development cycles.

You'll be writing test plans, developing new procedures for design validation, managing test schedules, mitigating issues, and effectively communicating with global engineering teams. Occasional international travel is required to support testing and manufacturing, as well as collaboration with international manufacturers and external partners.

They need to make direct x 13 that:

-can make x86 and ARM native games at same time
-converts existing native x86 games to native ARM (not bullshit emulation)
-taps into the power of TOPS/AI to assist in coding and development and reducing development time or time to triangle
-taps into the bandwidth of high-speed SSDs to be potentially utilized as RAM
-does raytracing/path tracing easily without tanking performance
-converts native Xbox games to native pc games
-enhances previous gen games with technical limitations to more hi fidelity: increase fps, hi res textures, hi resolution, etc.

Last edited:

Ashamam

Hmm, suggests they are still in the scoping stage. No way its coming in 2025, I'd say 2026 would be rushed and 2027 is more likely.

Then again if the hardware is more homogenous but the software/OS is where the work is, I'm not sure how that would impact dates. Might be even worse.

Bry0

I can’t believe the series 3 doesn’t exist already. The design language of the series 2 still dates back to the Xbox one era. It’s very weird.

Hmm, suggests they are still in the scoping stage. No way its coming in 2025, I'd say 2026 would be rushed and 2027 is more likely.

Then again if the hardware is more homogenous but the software/OS is where the work is, I'm not sure how that would impact dates. Might be even worse.
We have decent rumours it's coming well before PS6, it's also been mentioned a few times by Bond of being the biggest technical leap in console history. It's farther along than the planning stages that's for certain.

Dr.D00p

We have decent rumours it's coming well before PS6, it's also been mentioned a few times by Bond of being the biggest technical leap in console history. It's farther along than the planning stages that's for certain.

But what about the games to showcase the 'biggest technical leap'?

In an Era where Triple A games take 4-5yrs, or more, are they just going to shove all their Series X games under development onto their next console.

If so, then we'll just be looking at another cross gen mess with nothing but current games having their settings and resolutions turned up in the options menu.

In an Era where Triple A games take 4-5yrs, or more, are they just going to shove all their Series X games under development onto their next console.

If so, then we'll just be looking at another cross gen mess with nothing but current games having their settings and resolutions turned up in the options menu.
I imagine beyond 2025 everything is next gen or cross gen.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Cross Gen will happen on every system now.

I'd argue that cross gen will be the best bit of any new system's life. A few years later the framerates or resolutions will start to drop and a few years after that those games will be worth playing when the next Gen patch drops.

Dr.D00p

I imagine beyond 2025 everything is next gen or cross gen.

Cross Gen will happen on every system now.

I'd argue that cross gen will be the best bit of any new system's life. A few years later the framerates or resolutions will start to drop and a few years after that those games will be worth playing when the next Gen patch drops.

Well if thats the case they can have no excuses for not understanding why the console market has peaked.

It's just a recipe for consumer apathy.

Loxus

It puzzles me when i hear releasing next-generation in 2026-2027 is rushing, when in fact history says otherwise.
pi0mLdQ.jpeg

I said this before.
Around the 6 year mark, console sales dry up and we have to remember Sony is a hardware company first.

They're not going to want lose out on boosting hardware revenue because of cross-gen or PS5 Pro and base on Sony previous console releases, PS6 is aiming for a 2027 release.

Microsoft wants to get the Next-generation Xbox out before Sony releases the PS6 and 2026 fits the bill. This way, Microsoft can get a head start on next-generation console sales.

Darsxx82

Like it or not, all new and upcoming hardware is going to have to deal with periods of 3-4 years of crossgen games. Just because it is launched in 2028 or 2029 is not going to be different from being launched in 2026.

The costs and development time of games are increasing. If today it is an average of 4-5 years in the next generation they may be even longer. The game needs to be released to a very large user base to amortize development costs. A console in its first 2-3 years of life does not have it.

PS. I don't know if I'm the only one, but I have detected how MS is avoiding at all costs mentioning the word "console" when referring to this upcoming hardware in job offers and even in official statements (Sarah Bond) It is now referred to as "Next hardware of Xbox" or "NextGen hardware"...

I don't know if this could be understood as an indication that further supports the rumor that MS has decided to move away from the traditional console and embrace the hardware initiative PC or console/PC hybrid 🤔

Topher

Gold Member
Like it or not, all new and upcoming hardware is going to have to deal with periods of 3-4 years of crossgen games. Just because it is launched in 2028 or 2029 is not going to be different from being launched in 2026.

The costs and development time of games are increasing. If today it is an average of 4-5 years in the next generation they may be even longer. The game needs to be released to a very large user base to amortize development costs. A console in its first 2-3 years of life does not have it.

PS. I don't know if I'm the only one, but I have detected how MS is avoiding at all costs mentioning the word "console" when referring to this upcoming hardware in job offers and even in official statements (Sarah Bond) It is now referred to as "Next hardware of Xbox" or "NextGen hardware"...

I don't know if this could be understood as an indication that further supports the rumor that MS has decided to move away from the traditional console and embrace the hardware initiative PC or console/PC hybrid 🤔

Believe HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and myself discussed the lack of the reference to "console" a few weeks ago. Phil Spencer referencing Microsoft's Windows roots not long ago was another hint, imo. Definitely think the hybrid model is coming. I do wonder if they will manufacture the hardware themselves or hand it off to OEMs. Or both.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Believe HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and myself discussed the lack of the reference to "console" a few weeks ago. Phil Spencer referencing Microsoft's Windows roots not long ago was another hint, imo. Definitely think the hybrid model is coming. I do wonder if they will manufacture the hardware themselves or hand it off to OEMs. Or both.
Yes we have

Have been saying their next gen ”consoles” will not be of the traditional sense like we will see with PlayStation.

They are tired of getting their teeth kicked in at the register in hardware sales so going to try a different approach

Sethbacca

IMO, the smart move would be to make an stripped-down version of Windows called XboxOS with a gaming-focused UI that people can install on any x86 hardware and will support the Xbox Store/App along with 3rd party apps like Steam, GFN, etc. Basically beat Valve to HoloOS on PC with the big advantage of supporting Windows-only anticheat

The ROG Ally / Legion Go run a lot more games than the Deck (and better too) but Windows 10/11 is a terrible experience for a gaming OS. So much bloat. So many unnecessary components. Strip it down to a touch/controller friendly main UI, take out the mobile integrations, mail and productivity 'tools' and most of all get the fucking office ads out of my face. And I don't want to see a goddamn thing about Edge or Copilot unless I go looking for it
I’d 100% setup a dual boot with this.

Top Bottom