• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen Xbox - Release Date Rumor, Specs, And Everything Else We Know

Bringing Triple AAA games to mobile on the ARM architecture (native, NOT emulation) such as windows ARM tablets, windows ARM laptops, windows ARM handhelds with 5G connection is the key to boosting and tapping into gaming revenue. This doesn't mean they will abandon x86

I am hoping that MSFT will make some sort of hybrid mobile Windows tablet/foldable that can be a full-fledged ARM PC and make phone calls at the same time. I am tired of iphone and android.

NVIDIA bringing ARM CPUs in the future is a much welcome addition to the competition

SHA

So they're telling us that they're not making a new xbox without saying it specifically. They'll probably call it a xbox something but it'll be some kinda steam deck thing or just a x cloud peripheral.

This kinda sucks when you think about it.
A clickbate done professionally.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All I know is I hope the next Xbox is your typical next gen console and not a handheld! I also want a 4k optical drive so I can play my handful of 4k movies. Or else I'd either have to keep my SX or sell it off and buy a 4k player which are stubbornly ay $300+ CDN at Best Buy. Doesnt seem to be any rock bottoming like DVD players to $79.

Loxus

That might be a very smart idea.

An Xbox console with PC library (which includes PS games) sounds like something that can help boost Xbox console sales.

My idea is the next Xbox could be a Steam Deck like handheld that can dock for a console experience like the Switch.

In my thread, I detailed ASUS's ROG Z13 Gaming Tablet which utilizes AMD's Strix Halo.
ASUS Readies 2025 ROG Z13 Flow Gaming Tablet Powered by AMD "Strix Halo"
DQ0rhyQ.jpeg
4LJDmsD.jpeg

WIwg1Rq.jpeg

Z7oXUfp.jpeg

I can see Microsoft using a similar chip, but with RDNA5 and more CUs.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
All I know is I hope the next Xbox is your typical next gen console and not a handheld! I also want a 4k optical drive so I can play my handful of 4k movies. Or else I'd either have to keep my SX or sell it off and buy a 4k player which are stubbornly ay $300+ CDN at Best Buy. Doesnt seem to be any rock bottoming like DVD players to $79.
I highly doubt you are getting a traditional next gen console from Xbox

Like I have been saying awhile now its going to be an Xbox PC thats going to be expensive (like north of $1000) plus a handheld thats dockable as the "mainstream" device.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I highly doubt you are getting a traditional next gen console from Xbox

Like I have been saying awhile now its going to be an Xbox PC thats going to be expensive (like north of $1000) plus a handheld thats dockable as the "mainstream" device.
Meh. dont have an interest in a handheld specialty PC. I already bought a new laptop last year anyway, and I milk my systems for at least 5 years.

I’m struggling to get my head around this in a way that makes sense, considering MS don’t make profit from console sales.

Here’s my understanding of the rumours…

- Console form factor
- Works like an Xbox Series by default
- Non-upgadeable
- Has full Windows installed, so you get the desktop, apps like Office, and the ability to install Steam, Epic Store etc…

The lack of upgrade ability has pros and cons, you can guarantee that Xbox branded games will run fine, but PC games will be a lottery

So if the only selling point is it’s a games console and a Window PC in one, what’s in it for MS?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Does anyone know if games built for next gen Xbox still have to run on series S?

Sid91

Neo Member
Does anyone know if games built for next gen Xbox still have to run on series S?
That would be the whole point of cross gen. Most big games released during this generation are also available for last gen consoles.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
That would be the whole point of cross gen. Most big games released during this generation are also available for last gen consoles.
I’m talking about if it’s an actual requirement.

Roberts

I don't think I will ever get a pc to play games for certain reasons even though I used to be a pc gamer, but I do miss it sometimes and if the xbox does a pc console, then I will be all over it no matter the cost. I also have invested in xbox ecosystem way too much to abandon it - I think I have over 1000 games on it and probably only around 30 on PS

Darsxx82

I’m talking about if it’s an actual requirement.
No, then it wouldn't be. The obligation is that every game that is released in XSX must also be released in XSS. That is to say, crossgen games will continue to come out for several years, but there will be quite a few that will not be released on XSeries and will be released on that new Xbox.

cyberheater

No, then it wouldn't be. The obligation is that every game that is released in XSX must also be released in XSS. That is to say, crossgen games will continue to come out for several years, but there will be quite a few that will not be released on XSeries and will be released on that new Xbox.
Thanks. That’s good to know.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Well if thats the case they can have no excuses for not understanding why the console market has peaked.

It's just a recipe for consumer apathy.

I think it's inevitable, tbh. We've seen even with juggernaut releases like Spiderman 2, which despite seeming to be remarkably similar to previous entries in the series, that making a AAA game costs SO MUCH to make, that making a game to sell to a tiny install base who've picked up a new system in the first couple of years cannot make fiscal sense.

If games were smaller/cheaper to make again, then platform holders would have more of a chance to make it work. Who knows maybe firing everyone and getting AI to do all the work will clear the way for more exclusives, but who'd cheer that?

Darsxx82

I don't think I will ever get a pc to play games for certain reasons even though I used to be a pc gamer, but I do miss it sometimes and if the xbox does a pc console, then I will be all over it no matter the cost. I also have invested in xbox ecosystem way too much to abandon it - I think I have over 1000 games on it and probably only around 30 on PS

Given a situation where exclusivity will not be a factor in choosing an XBOX, MS needs new reasons. Today the only thing that could have a minimum of success would be to launch a product that met some premises:

1-That it is not a product whose support by 3rd parties depends on its sales. And that requires a product open to other stores (Steam, Epic...) and compatibility with those.

2-That the potential user does not see his purchase as a risky investment. Nobody wants a paperweight shortly after purchasing.

3-That it offers an agile ecosystem similar to that of a console. An Xbox OS and an Xbox/Windows Store where it is the place to download the best version of a game for that hardware.

4-Decent and interesting hardware for different users. Powerful hardware for the core and fan user accompanied by a portable Handheld with which to share software is a good combo.

5-BC with XSeries and past generations.

That is, that is why the console/PC formula being hybridized with XBOX OS and also the Handheld with the same premise would be the one that would have the most potential according to many of us here. A traditional Xbox offering the same as a PS6 in time and power...... it is certainly not.

Last edited:
Some interesting thoughts from the DF gang at 1:45:10

I would rather Xbox morph into a handheld PC than a new Xbox. Having Steam and my Xbox library in one spot would be nice and I feel as though I would use it quite often. But in order for it to be effective, it should be at least powerful enough to play some of the even more demanding games in my library. But overall it's the right move to combine Xbox, PlayStation and PC games all in one spot. THAT would be a very powerful move on Microsoft's behalf and will honestly be a great move for everyone. That being said, I'll probably get a PS6 at some point in the future as I already have a fairly capable gaming PC and will be upgrading next year.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
Like I have been saying awhile now it’s going to be an Xbox PC thats going to be expensive (like north of $1000) plus a handheld thats dockable as the "mainstream" device.

I’ve been saying they should do something like that for a long time and it almost sounds too logical for them to do it but.. I guess there is hope

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I would rather Xbox morph into a handheld PC than a new Xbox. Having Steam and my Xbox library in one spot would be nice and I feel as though I would use it quite often. But in order for it to be effective, it should be at least powerful enough to play some of the even more demanding games in my library. But overall it's the right move to combine Xbox, PlayStation and PC games all in one spot. THAT would be a very powerful move on Microsoft's behalf and will honestly be a great move for everyone. That being said, I'll probably get a PS6 at some point in the future as I already have a fairly capable gaming PC and will be upgrading next year.
I think we still get that handheld along side this Xbox/PC

We have talked about it for awhile now of an Xbox "console" side loading Steam and what that would mean for the Playstation games on this Xbox

I’ve been saying they should do something like that for a long time and it almost sounds too logical for them to do it but.. I guess there is hope
Its Xbox so someone may pull the plug any second heck maybe already did and we just don't know it yet

But I still think its happening

I go back to what James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford said in another thread that Xbox might actually be playing 4d chess this time around

SyberWolf

kind of logical that the line between xbox and pc will become thinner and thinner.
xbox is already running a barebones modified win10.
and PC windows is evolving with more and more xbox features.
and pc is getting smaller and smaller, i saw a guy on youtube build a little gaming rig that is smaller than a series x.

Loxus

I’m struggling to get my head around this in a way that makes sense, considering MS don’t make profit from console sales.

- Console form factor
- Non-upgadeable
- Has full Windows installed, so you get the desktop, apps like Office, and the ability to install Steam, Epic Store etc…

The lack of upgrade ability has pros and cons, you can guarantee that Xbox branded games will run fine, but PC games will be a lottery

So if the only selling point is it’s a games console and a Window PC in one, what’s in it for MS?
Microsoft advertising this hybrid console running the PC version of PS exclusives is an insanely good selling point imo.

Some interesting thoughts from the DF gang at 1:45:10

There are so many ways this could go that I have trouble wrapping my head around what direction they will choose. It seems the next XBOX will be a PC with a launcher, given, but I'm curious to see if they can pull off simplicity with this integration.

sendit

An Xbox console with PC library (which includes PS games) sounds like something that can help boost Xbox console sales.

My idea is the next Xbox could be a Steam Deck like handheld that can dock for a console experience like the Switch.

In my thread, I detailed ASUS's ROG Z13 Gaming Tablet which utilizes AMD's Strix Halo.
DQ0rhyQ.jpeg
4LJDmsD.jpeg

WIwg1Rq.jpeg

Z7oXUfp.jpeg

So a $1000+ portable console?

I'm done with consoles, but I still like Xbox hardware, so if they bring something out that's more open I'll definitely look at it. Especially if it has an accompanying handheld as HeisenbergFX4 has consistently stated. Almost all of my gaming right now is PC, or remote play/Geforce Now on my ROG Ally X. If they can expand the Xbox PC app (which works really well for me, not sure why everyone complains about it) into more of a fully-fledged operating system (or just a Steam Big Picture kind of setup really) that would be perfect. If they can provide a system that I can just stick under the TV that functions the same as a PC for games I'll buy more than one.

If they bring something out that only plays "console games" whatever that means now, I'm out. For the first time in history we have people who have played video games for actual generations - their whole lives, but the market still only caters for kids with its hardware and console wars, it's outdated hardware and ridiculously long shelf life.

I'm not buying the next Sony or Nintendo consoles under any circumstances (resolve don't fail me now) and the only way I'll play their games in future is if they bring them to other systems.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There are so many ways this could go that I have trouble wrapping my head around what direction they will choose. It seems the next XBOX will be a PC with a launcher, given, but I'm curious to see if they can pull off simplicity with this integration.
Going to be very interesting to see how this shakes out, is this going the OEM route that one leak has talked about? Dunno honestly

At one point Xbox was very clear they wanted to make it a console like experience for people who simply don't want to feel like they are gaming on a PC as I know there is a market (likely tiny) of people who work on a PC all day and want to come home and pick up their controller and sit down on the couch and just play games and feel like they are away from a PC (if that makes sense)

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Modern consoles ARE the best mix of consoles and PC's. Just slapping the Xbox brand on some regular PC with windows is not really solving or offering anything and will do as well as Steam Machines did. Most people will just either opt to buy a PC or an actual console. Hell there are times I look at building at one these used office Optiplex ultra budget PC's and even then the Series S seems like a better value and overall package when you factor in cost/performance/size. An Xbox "steam machine" would not beat a Series S in terms of value nor even come close to it in terms of sales. Despite the shitting on it gets.

Not saying they can't try different things but exiting the console space would be dumb imo.

Honestly if they dropped paywalled MP from Xbox it would be strong competitive advantage. That's the only reason I really even want a PC over a console. I don't see them doing that though.

The other thing I would suggest is to lean more into all-access. If you went from say 24 month to 48 month all-access you could offer a lot for a reasonable monthly price.
ie $1000 console + $15/mth Gamepass Ultimate (potential discount since locking in for 48 mths?) = ~$36/mth
$800 console with same scenario = ~$32/mth

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I sincerely think it’s a new OS. They will release their own hardware which works and is updated / maintained by Microsoft and will allow third party OEM’s to license the OS for their versions.

They will do exactly what they are doing with ARM and Copilot PC’s where they have a set spec of hardware and requirements to get certification.

They are taking the steam approach with an os and hardware. Even steam is now opening up their OS to other vendors.

Microsoft doesn’t want to allow Valve to become a bigger threat and make bigger inroads to gaming IMHO.

Last edited:
A Steam/Xbox hybrid would be wild, because Sony is likely very tempted to start porting games to PC day 1

You’d have one machine, and handheld that can play all games day 1

Yea but if the prices HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is saying are true then who the hell is going to buy that? PC gamers will just stick with their PC. Console gamers are sure as hell not going to pay anything close to $1000 especially when Xbox is clearly releasing their games on PS and will most likely go day 1 also. Hell they already are for Doom.

IMO anything with a price like that is Xbox just conceding the console market and basically just putting out hardware for anyone who is just that dedicated to Xbox. It will sell of course but I think they would go sub 20mil lifetime at that point.

Yea but if the prices HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is saying are true then who the hell is going to buy that? PC gamers will just stick with their PC. Console gamers are sure as hell not going to pay anything close to $1000 especially when Xbox is clearly releasing their games on PS and will most likely go day 1 also. Hell they already are for Doom.

IMO anything with a price like that is Xbox just conceding the console market and basically just putting out hardware for anyone who is just that dedicated to Xbox. It will sell of course but I think they would go sub 20mil lifetime at that point.

True but they may also have a cheaper option.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

I'll get one. I don't want to mess with PC customization stuff, and I want to plug and play like a console as much as possible. I already was buying Xbox and PS5 so that was 1000 this gen.

Darsxx82

Yea but if the prices HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is saying are true then who the hell is going to buy that? PC gamers will just stick with their PC.

There are many console players looking to make the jump to PC (many regular Xbox console users)... There they would have a good option to get the best of both worlds (or even of all because they would have the PS catalog within reach). ). So, if buying a PC to play decently requires 1500+ $, the option of a powerful "PC" with tools to obtain better optimized games at 800-1000 euros would have its potential.

Console gamers are sure as hell not going to pay anything close to $1000 especially when Xbox is clearly releasing their games on PS and will most likely go day 1 also. Hell they already are for Doom.

This supposed new Xbox is supposed to be open to other PC stores (Steam, Epic...) ergo to PS games. Apart from the Xbox games day one in Gamepass optimized, BC with the catalog of Xbox1, 360, XBO, XSeries, PlayAnywhere.... That said. Nobody knows if there would be other cheaper options, or the option of an XBOX Handheld.

At this point everything is speculation and betting. MS is unpredictable. Here we only speculate on the best option that MS would have if it wants its next bet on XBOX hardware to not be a failure.

In general there is a great consensus that the hybrid PC/console option embracing the freedoms of playing on PC would be the best.

This, of course, is based on the idea that MS has already given up competing in sales with PS consoles and its objective is more to ensure a sufficient loyal user base with the potential to maintain current income and subscriptions.

Parazels

DQ0rhyQ.jpeg
4LJDmsD.jpeg

WIwg1Rq.jpeg

Z7oXUfp.jpeg

Sarah Bond promises the biggest performance leap ever...

Parazels

Albeit similar hardware today a game developer makes TWO versions of a game:
- PC version for average PC hardware;
- Xbox version for specific Xbox hardware.

What if the next Xbox has PC hardware? Then the developer makes a ONE version for Xbox and PC, but on Xbox the game will be better optimized thanks to its known hardware configuration.

It would reduce cost and speed up development.

Is it possible?

Darsxx82

Albeit similar hardware today a game developer makes TWO versions of a game:
- PC version for average PC hardware;
- Xbox version for specific Xbox hardware.

What if the next Xbox has PC hardware? Then the developer makes a ONE version for Xbox and PC, but on Xbox the game will be better optimized thanks to its known hardware configuration.

It would reduce cost and speed up development.

Is it possible?
Perfectly possible. You already have a good example of Steam Deck where optimization via SteamOS is usually better. The fact is that here there is also a double situation where MS is in charge of Windows, DirectX, GDK, etc., which are common development tools.

The idea, a priori, would be that games from the Xbox Store should have an extra point of optimization compared to running games from other stores. Or at least that should be MS's job if it wants the majority of users of that hardware to bet on its store and not on Steam, Epic....

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Or at least that should be MS's job if it wants the majority of users of that hardware to bet on its store and not on Steam, Epic....
Reliable optimization
No hassle updates
Quick resume
Easily save uploads / dual entitlement across windows, handheld, cloud, GP

Last edited:

nick776

I'll get one. I don't want to mess with PC customization stuff, and I want to plug and play like a console as much as possible. I already was buying Xbox and PS5 so that was 1000 this gen.
I would buy it also. I am happy to pay a premium price for high power. Certainly, I could afford any PC I wanted but I just refuse to tinker with settings and all the complexity that comes with a gaming PC. I want to pickup a controller, hit the power button and play. Having to select between quality mode and performance mode is about the extent of the tinkering I'm willing to do before playing a video game.

DaGwaphics

If they are going to do a more PC like system it will be interesting if this UI and the back compatibility could also come to custom built PC.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I would buy it also. I am happy to pay a premium price for high power. Certainly, I could afford any PC I wanted but I just refuse to tinker with settings and all the complexity that comes with a gaming PC. I want to pickup a controller, hit the power button and play. Having to select between quality mode and performance mode is about the extent of the tinkering I'm willing to do before playing a video game.
My son is in the same boat, could afford any gaming PC but doesn’t want to mess with one especially when he is on a pc most days for work

nick776

My son is in the same boat, could afford any gaming PC but doesn’t want to mess with one especially when he is on a pc most days for work
Yep, my law practice uses Mac exclusively, so I'm on a computer all day too and do not wan to come home to one. I do not want to go home at the end of the day and mess with another computer and have to tinker to get it to play on my living room AV system where my Gallery series OLED TV is and in-wall Atmos speakers are located. Plus, there is just no possible way to set a giant, ugly computer anywhere in my living room without it looking garishly out of place. If the next Xbox is going to be a PC Hybrid, it had better have a "dumb mode" setting where I can just hit one physical button on the outside and it acts just like a video game console. It needs to be small, too.

Preseznik

Neo Member

- Console form factor
- Non-upgadeable

Personally, I haven't substantially upgraded my PC since the 2000s. Usually, by the time a generational upgrade makes sense, I have to move to a completely new platform anyway. I'm sure not everyone feels this way, but PCs have been lasting longer and longer, this coming from someone who was used to upgrading nearly every year since between 1995-2005.

In the case of this proposed console/PC hybrid, you can always just rely on the console game versions nearing the end of that gen, rather than the most likely worse performing PC ports on the same hardware.

Aiken_Lugonn

Neo Member
MS is a software company at heart. Eliminating the hardware could be a win for them as they could eliminate the R&D, production and logistics of getting that hardware out the door and focus on all those games studios they bought instead of running them into the ground.

Top Bottom