• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Milpool

So anyone using wireless charging? I haven't managed to grab a Qi pad yet to try it out. How's it working for anyone who has?

I got the Maxell one posted earlier in this thread. It charges fine but since it's made out of glass, as is the Nexus 4 it's pretty much like an air hockey puck unless angle the phone as you lower it on to the charger to let the air escape. My phone slid off the sweet spot quite a few times before I realized what was happening, I assumed someone had been using my phone.

maharg

idspispopd
I got the Maxell one posted earlier in this thread. It charges fine but since it's made out of glass, as is the Nexus 4 it's pretty much like an air hockey puck unless angle the phone as you lower it on to the charger to let the air escape. My phone slid off the sweet spot quite a few times before I realized what was happening, I assumed someone had been using my phone.

Haha. Freakin' glass back. So far it's my only complaint about this phone, other than the still-not-as-good-as-the-iPhone battery life.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Ridiculous. I sold my Gnex for this, but they (Google or Lg) dont sell them directly. There were reports that LG was trying to sell nexus4 for ridiculous more to resellers. So they told LG to go take a hike. Why cant LG be like ASUS which sold the Nexus7 here in Portugal directly, for the same price as google did on the store....

Yep. I can confirm this. LG is selling the Nexus 4 here in Asia for about 500-600 USD. Such a dick move. Of course, it's not "officially" available yet, but that's the going price. I'm so tempted to get this instead of the new iPhone. I'm thinking of having my uncle in the U.S. mail me one. But the question is, can he? I think this thing is still out of stock, right?

So, aside from press reviews, what do the rest of GAF think? Is the Nexus 4 a good jump from the iPhone? I'm jumping from iOS to Android. And that $300 price tag sure helps a ton in deciding. :)

Franco's lateset kernel (r23) looks like it has Qualcomm's fix for the wakelock as well as improved power useage when using HSDPA. Anyone using it? Power drain when on 3G is terrible, and Googy seem to be dragging their heels on updates.

How easy is it to flash back to stock kernel and will I have to erase phone to do so?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Franco's lateset kernel (r23) looks like it has Qualcomm's fix for the wakelock as well as improved power useage when using HSDPA. Anyone using it? Power drain when on 3G is terrible, and Googy seem to be dragging their heels on updates.

How easy is it to flash back to stock kernel and will I have to erase phone to do so?
I answered some of these questions already for r22. It's easy to flash back to stock and if you're already rooted, no issues with losing data.

Rengoku

So anyone using wireless charging? I haven't managed to grab a Qi pad yet to try it out. How's it working for anyone who has?

I got my Zens Wireless Qi Charger yesterday.

iDPjQqhptMIbr.jpg

I did my first test run as well. Charged from empty (0%) all the way to 100%. Total time taken was 3 hours 5 minutes.

Impressions so far:
  • Phone does get quite warm when charging up, maximum temp it got was 40 degrees according to the battery widget, which isn't too bad I guess.
  • The charger itself has a glossy panel, so it'll be a fingerprint magnet
  • There's a tiny blue light just underneath the Zens logo that lights up when your phone is within range, and will turn off once the phone is fully charged.
  • No annoying audible beep.
  • I tried placing the phone in multiple positions on the charger. For the most part, the phone charges so long it's more or less centered near the Qi logo. (See image below)
  • I tried placing a couple playing cards between the phone and the charger just to see how well it could handle thicker cases. From what I found, I could fit around 8 playing cards (~3 mm) before the charger would loose the connection. That's with my Ringke Slim case (~2mm thick). So I'd say, if your case is under ~5mm thick, you should be ok...

jjwa5Ghb7Ja41.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish I had something like my Palm Touchstone. It would make for an awesome car dock.

Calmine

That really informative Rengoku thanks. I'm looking into getting one soon after I actually get my Nexus 4, just got to wait for LG to get their arse in gear.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
UPS says it can't find the street number even though they delivered packages here last Friday.

And on hold for 30 minutes now...

Welcome to UPS. Had a Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 delivered without issue last week. This week my replacement Nexus 7 can't be delivered because they don't know the address.

First full day of Franco r23, 1% of battery remaining and I managed 5hr1min of screen on time. I've been on Wifi for the majority of the day so will be interesting to see what gains I get out of a full day on 3g connection tomorrow.

Either way, a hell of a lot better than I was getting on stock.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
First full day of Franco r23, 1% of battery remaining and I managed 5hr1min of screen on time. I've been on Wifi for the majority of the day so will be interesting to see what gains I get out of a full day on 3g connection tomorrow.

Either way, a hell of a lot better than I was getting on stock.

My gf gets 5+ hours average stock, no kernal change. I thought the kernal swap was supposed to help a lot more.

DaNcaKe

Does the franco kernal require a rooted phone?

Don't take it as gospel, but when I did it yesterday I didnt root it, just unlocked the boot loader. After that I installed a custom recovery (cwr) and installed the kernel through that.

Unlocking the boot loader wipes your phone though so make sure you backup.

Here's my situation, I want a jelly bean compatible smartphone, Nexus4 seems like a non brainer pick, BUT I live in Portugal, google play doesnt sell hardware here, I could get a friend to ship from the UK but its always out of stock, so what are my options? Find another phone or keep holding out in hope for a break?

Maxrunner

Here's my situation, I want a jelly bean compatible smartphone, Nexus4 seems like a non brainer pick, BUT I live in Portugal, google play doesnt sell hardware here, I could get a friend to ship from the UK but its always out of stock, so what are my options? Find another phone or keep holding out in hope for a break?

I'm exactly in the same situation. And i also live in Portugal :p

DrFurbs

Guys where do these phones ship from? I'm waiting since the 24th for mine and the dispatch tracking number doesn't work.

Wow :) The Comments are entertaining though!

But for $300 to $350 I have a contract free phone that's completely capabale and unlocked. An S3 is $550 outright and still locked to my carrier. Blah.

After speed tests the HSPA+ is around 14-20Mbits/sec which is more than enough for my gfs needs.

I really don't understand the tech media's obsession with LTE. They act like a smart phone is borderline-useless without it.

I guess like other specialized segments of the media, they're woefully out of touch with the general public.

DrFurbs

Well this has certainly soiled my experience of Google. They told me to contact the "shipper" of the phone..Its tech-data Europe but they have so many divisions.

great.

elty

How do you install new kernel? Just put the zip file somewhere then use (default) recovery to flash it? Or do you need to root/unlock bootloader/install a custom recovery/perform a ritual first?

After yesterday's 5hr of screen-on time using mainly wifi all day on Franco kernel, today I've been out and about and managed a paltry 2hr30min of screen on time on 3g..... Hmmmmm.

Here's hoping Qualcomm/Google push some improvements to 3g drivers and fast, as much as I love the phone (and especially loved the price of it) I need something that can last a little longer than that. Heck, even my Galaxy Nexus had better battery life!

On the plus side, ran some speed tests in the centre of London and managed up to 21mbs download speeds, shattering my previous record of 12mbs.

Top Bottom