• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

KarmaCow

Damn my front factory screen protector fell off somewhere. Guess I'm gonna rock it naked until I get another front screen protector.

Yea I've been using the factory front cover mostly because I hate putting on screen protectors but I'm leaning toward just going naked now. The only thing holding me back is the fear of micro scratches.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Those who said this phone is incredibly slippery must have small hands. I'm not worried about it.

I notice my phone has an issue. On the bottom left, if I push the screw area, it feels like I'm pushing a button. Strange.

buhdeh

Got scratches on my front screen already after only 3 weeks. The "Gorilla Glass" on this phone sucks. My 4S never even got a single scratch in 10 months of use.

Hieberrr

I still have to say. The Diztronic matte black case is still the best case I could have gotten. Simply amazing :O~ <3

Just got myself some screen protectors from ebay with the proper cutouts for the sensors and BAM! Not the clearest screen protector since it has some discoloration, but it's not noticeable when the screen is on. So, it's not an issue for me. :D

I bought 8. Now I have 7 left >___>

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Hope the next batch goes on sale soon. I've been debating whether or not I should just get a free Galaxy S2X but after playing with the one I got the gf... I want it.

Razdek

Banned
Just got mine and it's a really nice phone, probably the best I've ever owned. Coming from an HTC desire z and LG Quantum WP this is really nice and the best value for sure.

rc213

Got the Bestskinsever pack in the mail, Definitely swipe friendly. Night and day versus the XtremeGuard.

So front Bestskinsever and back XtremeGuard is the way to go if you want to roll naked.

GAF help.

I turned off my phone and restarted it and the screen is spazzing out just flickering on the google logo the black background on the google logo has white streaks and then the nexus logo appears and the google logo is still there on top of it. Loads into lock screen and the screen is still spazzing just flickering.

The phone was at 8% battery when this happened I put it in to charge and locked the screen its black now but whenever I unlock it the flickering/spazzing continues.

It took a lot of convincing of myself to even get a product made by LG with how shoddy their history is (through personal experience and hearsay) and I'm thinking I'm about to get burned here.

edit: Seems this is an issue and people at xda describe it better than I could. It stopped now after making this edit....but this doesn't look good for the longevity of this phone.

edit 2: phone is back to normal it lasted about a minute or so but this is an issue whether it be software or hardware that many people have experienced. Just check the xda thread and be on the look out if this happens to any of you. I've never seen something like that happen with a phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2014989

Hieberrr

I *might* have experienced some sort of a flicker before (I have a feeling I did), but I can't remember. If it happens, I'll report back. It sounds like (as per that XDA thread) that it's not too uncommon.

hitsugi

Got scratches on my front screen already after only 3 weeks. The "Gorilla Glass" on this phone sucks. My 4S never even got a single scratch in 10 months of use.

It's Gorilla Glass 2. Being 20% thinner comes at a price and it's not just the N4.

Valygar

I broke the screen this weekend :( . It was charging up, and I accidentally pulled the cable with a piece of furniture. It fell down to the floor directly taking a hit on the screen.

I hope LG repairs it fast... from what I've read is 150€ :S. Be careful guys. And I don't recomend a screen protector, that's for scratches and the gorilla glass is very good. But buy a protective case or something in case it falls down. Too many glass.

I put a clear screen protector on the back after I got a couple of small scratches within the first few days of use.

The rest is naked. I carry it in a pouch.

I got the Nexus 4 and this is my first Android phone. The programs run smooth and buttery, but the OS is not intuitive as I would like.

For example, I couldn't download a picture that was attached to an email through the Gmail app, I had to go online and download it from the actual gmail website. Subsequently, when I tried to make the picture my wallpaper, I couldn't select the entire picture. Mind you this picture displayed perfectly well on my Nexus 4 screen portrait wise, but the wallpaper forced me to select only a small slice of the picture. Now the gallery app has stopped working and refuses to allow me to edit.

I can see why the iOS is much popular among the general public when Android is annoyingly obtuse in simple commands and buggy. Very frustrated with Android.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Got the Bestskinsever pack in the mail, Definitely swipe friendly. Night and day versus the XtremeGuard.

So front Bestskinsever and back XtremeGuard is the way to go if you want to roll naked.

Great! I got my BSE in the mail, but haven't applied it yet. This generic one i got from China is surprisingly high quality.

GAF help.

I turned off my phone and restarted it and the screen is spazzing out just flickering on the google logo the black background on the google logo has white streaks and then the nexus logo appears and the google logo is still there on top of it. Loads into lock screen and the screen is still spazzing just flickering.

The phone was at 8% battery when this happened I put it in to charge and locked the screen its black now but whenever I unlock it the flickering/spazzing continues.

It took a lot of convincing of myself to even get a product made by LG with how shoddy their history is (through personal experience and hearsay) and I'm thinking I'm about to get burned here.

edit: Seems this is an issue and people at xda describe it better than I could. It stopped now after making this edit....but this doesn't look good for the longevity of this phone.

edit 2: phone is back to normal it lasted about a minute or so but this is an issue whether it be software or hardware that many people have experienced. Just check the xda thread and be on the look out if this happens to any of you. I've never seen something like that happen with a phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2014989

I had something like this happen when i first rooted my phone. I didn't even install any roms or kernels, just rooted it so I can use the stock browser with flash. Hasn't happened since and when it did, freaked me out.

I got the Nexus 4 and this is my first Android phone.

The programs run smooth and buttery, but the OS is not intuitive as I would like.

For example, I couldn't download a picture that was attached to an email through the Gmail app, I had to go online and download it from the actual gmail website.

Subsequently, when I tried to make the picture my wallpaper, I couldn't select the entire picture. Mind you this picture displayed perfectly well on my Nexus 4 screen portrait wise, but the wallpaper forced me to select only a small slice of the picture.

Now the gallery app has stopped working and refuses to allow me to edit.

I can see why the iOS is much popular among the general public when Android is annoyingly obtuse in simple commands and buggy. Very frustrated with Android.

This is my biggest annoyance coming from an iphone 4. While I'm familiar with android, I found the lack of cohesion with apps annoying.

kehs

Banned
I got the Nexus 4 and this is my first Android phone. The programs run smooth and buttery, but the OS is not intuitive as I would like.

For example, I couldn't download a picture that was attached to an email through the Gmail app, I had to go online and download it from the actual gmail website. Subsequently, when I tried to make the picture my wallpaper, I couldn't select the entire picture. Mind you this picture displayed perfectly well on my Nexus 4 screen portrait wise, but the wallpaper forced me to select only a small slice of the picture. Now the gallery app has stopped working and refuses to allow me to edit.

Really? That's strange, you can typically hit save/view for attachments to download them directly. If you're already viewing the picture hit menu > save image.

The wallpaper thing is pretty annoying. Workaround to getting pictures to no crop is to view them inside of a browser and then press/hold and set as wallpaper from there.

Really? That's strange, you can typically hit save/view for attachments to download them directly. If you're already viewing the picture hit menu > save image.

The wallpaper thing is pretty annoying. Workaround to getting pictures to no crop is to view them inside of a browser and then press/hold and set as wallpaper from there.
Apparently the gallery is buggy when you try to edit a picture. When I went back to the gmail app, it finally allowed me to download the picture. Buggy gmail app as well.

I'm searching for a wallpaper solution and apparently this has been an issue for over 2 years now. I shocked at how counter-intuitive it is to set a simple picture wallpaper on android. It reeks of over engineering.

Hieberrr

Is anyone using the CM nightlies? How is it running and are there any issues? How is the battery compared to stock?

I'm considering it, because the sound coming it off my headphones are so flat. EQs are terrible and don't fix anything. I need DSP manager!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

It sounds like you've just heard words and are regurgitating them. You can easily save a picture in Gmail, you can easily set a wallpaper through gallery. There's a bug with scrolling wallpaper but setting a non scrolling one isn't a problem. If your phone is buggy, that's an anomaly and not Android itself.

This is my biggest annoyance coming from an iphone 4. While I'm familiar with android, I found the lack of cohesion with apps annoying.

What? That's an iOS complaint. Apps can't talk to each other in iOS.

Posted from my iPad

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

a) Click the picture, press "menu", "save", done. It's in the gallery.

2) You are aware you can pinch or resize the frame, right?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
What? That's an iOS complaint. Apps can't talk to each other in iOS.

Posted from my iPad

You're right. I should have explained what I meant better.

My complaint coming from iOS to android are small things like when i used chrome and the way it handled video links etc compared to iOS. Since flashing the AOSP browser that supports flash, my issues have been mostly resolved.

buhdeh

I came to Android after using iPhones straight from 2G to 4S and had no problems adjusting. Seems like people just get used to iOS and think every mobile OS should behave in the exact same way.

The wallpaper thing is different but that's cause you have scrolling (and I think landscape) wallpapers in Android. If you really want the iOS way of setting wallpapers back, get Nova Launcher (everyone should have this anyways) and hit the crop button -> portrait when you're setting your wallpaper and it'll simplify it.

Mrbob

Yeah I can't believe how poorly Google is handling the stock issue to this day. I finally received my phone last week but it took almost a month. Now you can't even order it.

The worst part for those waiting the phone is definitely worth the wait. Google failing hard at getting product into consumers hands.

In terms of functionality, I agree iOS does some things better, but Android also does some things better. I went from an Android 2.2 phone, so 4.2.1 is a huge jump.

Clearing apps in cache is way better in Android than on iOS. Just click a button and swipe the program away to get rid of it. Plus it's much easier to get into settings on the phone. Swipe down from the top and hit the button in the upper right corner and you are there. I remember on my old phone having to go into settings, then manage applications, and clear cache for every app. It was annoying. Gone from worst to first.

Also, you have the ability to use widgets and what not. I used to think iOS was king for a mobile platform, but this is when I used my old smartphone. Android 4.2 has really closed the gap. Even Google Now holds up well against Siri, and tracks information better. Looking forward to seeing how Android 5.0 turns out.

Edit: I can't get Speed Test to work either.

DaNcaKe

Finally got my battery life at an acceptable level after installing Franco kernel and under clocking it. No noticeable difference but I haven't really played many games (where I assume I may start to see one).

Fuck, I love this phone. The integrated swype is nice and easy, the phone hardly lags at all, it's nice to have everything open at once and the ram doesn't come crashing to a halt because it has a shit ton of it.

Best phone i've ever used. one gripe though, i wish i could change the slide down to display the setting menu first and click to change to notifications. anyway to do that?

EDIT: I would like to root and install that custom kernel, though. if it indeed has a better battery life. How do I do all this? is it easy to find out, and do i have to format my phon to get it done? i got a lot of stuff on it now, ireally don't want to go through all the DLing again and setting stuff up.

malyce

You can use two fingers to slide down to get to the settings menu directly

Which is not really intuitive since most people prefer to use one had to operate the phone. He's better of just rooting and flashing Xylon/CM10.1, both have customized quick settings menu and single swype quick settings among other things.

You can use two fingers to slide down to get to the settings menu directly

That's cool, but i normally one hand it. hard to do two fingers then. wish i could just reverse the setting wth the notifications. i like to swipe down to check the percentage of the battery. is there a way to put the percentage inside the regular bar menu so i dont need to swipe down anyway?

Is the lack of hardware availability preventing LG from shipping the phone worldwide? Did they ever say if they will?

I can see the N7 in shops everywhere, once Asus shipped it the tablet came down in price significantly.

Sadly I can't buy the phone from the Play Store.

buhdeh

That's cool, but i normally one hand it. hard to do two fingers then. wish i could just reverse the setting wth the notifications. i like to swipe down to check the percentage of the battery. is there a way to put the percentage inside the regular bar menu so i dont need to swipe down anyway?

I use nova launcher and set an upward swipe from the home screen to open quick settings

Do Nexus phones usually don't have microSD slots? I got very excited about the phone then got a major turnoff when I found out that the storage isn't expandable.

Do Nexus phones usually don't have microSD slots? I got very excited about the phone then got a major turnoff when I found out that the storage isn't expandable.

the Nexus One had a MicroSD slot when it launched 3 years ago.

since then none of them have had one. not the Nexus S, not the Galaxy Nexus, not the Nexus 4.

Google's Matias Duarte has gone on record stating:

Everybody likes the idea of having an SD card, but in reality it's just confusing for users.

If you&#8217;re saving photos, videos or music, where does it go? Is it on your phone? Or on your card? Should there be a setting? Prompt everytime? What happens to the experience when you swap out the card? It&#8217;s just too complicated.

We take a different approach. Your Nexus has a fixed amount of space and your apps just seamlessly use it for you without you ever having to worry about files or volumes or any of that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing.

With a Nexus you know exactly how much storage you get upfront and you can decide what&#8217;s the right size for you. That&#8217;s simple and good for users.

so don't expect one in any Nexus devices.

decide what size is right for you, 8GB or 16GB.

CLOUD!!!

PaulLFC

I want to get this phone but it's sold out here (and seemingly everywhere else too). I could get it from Carphone Warehouse, but they're charging £390, when it's £280 direct from Google, so I'm waiting.

The thing is, I have no idea when it's going to be back in stock. I'm starting to wonder now at what point Google decides to bring out another phone because of the stock issues, or whether they'll stick with it until October/November despite the fact nobody can buy one.

I've seen rumours saying Sony may be making the next Nexus phone, and I'm a sucker for Sony stuff, so I'd be inclined to wait for that if it was coming out earlier. Not sure I can wait until November though, the S2 I have currently is annoying me more and more by the day.

THE most annoying this with this phone/stock Android is the fact that there are 2 different mail systems

Also the 2ndary mail system is so gimped, I mean no swipe to new emails?! Or pulldown to refresh?

Hmmmm

Top Bottom