• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Just a heads up.

I would advise against buying this Poetic case. It's a good looking case for sure but it has caused problems with my phone. As soon as I got it my phone started to play this weird notification sound at random intervals. The weird part is that I couldn't find the sound byte in the sound settings menu nor did I ever hear it in any of my apps. I figured it might be a bug caused by one of the apps I downloaded so I started deleting my most recent apps one by one, but the sound persisted. Eventually I reset my entire phone and again the sound was still there. Then a few days later I open up my wallet/case to find that my screen was constantly flickering. Having suspected that the magnet inside the case might be messing with the innards of the phone I immediately took it out, a few minutes and restarts later the screen was back to normal. It's been a week since I have taken my phone out of the case and I haven't had any issues with it since (no random sounds or screen flickering).

As stated earlier I think the magnet inside the case is what caused the issues, though after a quick Google search everyone seems to think that magnets are harmless when placed next to smart phones. So I have no proof except for my own experience. Take that as you will.

Shambles

I live in Canada and I've been trying the workaround found online to try to gain access to google music. However, after going through an american proxy it asks for a USA credit card to verify my location. There doesn't seem to be any mention of this in any of the articles. Does anyone know of a way around this? (I wonder if a MIR visa would work)

buhdeh

I live in Canada and I've been trying the workaround found online to try to gain access to google music. However, after going through an american proxy it asks for a USA credit card to verify my location. There doesn't seem to be any mention of this in any of the articles. Does anyone know of a way around this? (I wonder if a MIR visa would work)

Yeah that's a recent addition. Used to be able to just enable your account with a proxy and that's it. Not sure if there's any quick way to get past the CC verification now though.

Possibly a stupid question, but is there a way to jump directly to the gallery from within the camera?

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Possibly a stupid question, but is there a way to jump directly to the gallery from within the camera?

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it.

Sort of. Swipe to the left.

So, why should I get this phone over a Galaxy s3 or other available options? I need a new phone, but I'm not incredibly phone tech savvy and don't want to find myself with the wrong option.. I want something that is both all around good in both hardware and software.. My last android phone was a buggy, laggy mess and I want something that I won't hate in a week.

Hieberrr

So, why should I get this phone over a Galaxy s3 or other available options? I need a new phone, but I'm not incredibly phone tech savvy and don't want to find myself with the wrong option.. I want something that is both all around good in both hardware and software.. My last android phone was a buggy, laggy mess and I want something that I won't hate in a week.

That depends. Do you like TouchWiz? And if not, are you willing to root, unlock, and flash custom ROMs on your phone?

Personally, I'd go with the Nexus 4 just because of the RAM.

cheapest unlocked smartphone with awesome hardware. With guaranteed updates.

The S3 is 8 months old already. I don't follow rumors but I'd wager a guess that a successor is coming fairly soon. I'd either wait to see what that brings or get the Nexus now.

This is all moot since by the time you get your hands on a nexus the S4 and nexus 5 will probably be announced. Aren't these still majorly backordered?

EGM92

That depends. Do you like TouchWiz? And if not, are you willing to root, unlock, and flash custom ROMs on your phone?

Personally, I'd go with the Nexus 4 just because of the RAM.

What about the RAM? the GS3 has 2GB as well unless you're international, and even then there is a variant with 2GB and a Quad-core CPU.

The S3 is 8 months old already. I don't follow rumors but I'd wager a guess that a successor is coming fairly soon. I'd either wait to see what that brings or get the Nexus now.

This is all moot since by the time you get your hands on a nexus the S4 and nexus 5 will probably be announced. Aren't these still majorly backordered?

Yeah, Im kinda wondering how to handle this. Im due for an upgrade on my plan.. but I have been without a phone for 2 months already. I'm honestly considering waiting a bit to see if something else may pop up soon and use a crappy phone til then.

That said, without factoring price in: Nexus 4 or S3? Which is better, and why?

Yeah, Im kinda wondering how to handle this. Im due for an upgrade on my plan.. but I have been without a phone for 2 months already. I'm honestly considering waiting a bit to see if something else may pop up soon and use a crappy phone til then.

That said, without factoring price in: Nexus 4 or S3? Which is better, and why?

Why not HTC One X+

I've had the HTC One X for some time before I broke it and it was just fantastic. Even my friends who owned SIII said it has more quality if you compare

the new "+" version has more battery, ram and processing speed IIRC

aznpxdd

I'd get the Nex 4 just knowing you'd get the latest updates right away in the next 2 years or so.

But if you value interchangeable battery and SD card slot, then S3.

Why not HTC One X+

I've had the HTC One X for some time before I broke it and it was just fantastic. Even my friends who owned SIII said it has more quality if you compare

the new "+" version has more battery, ram and processing speed IIRC

So...you're recommending a phone you broke to other people? Really?

Insayne

Just a heads up.

I would advise against buying this Poetic case. It's a good looking case for sure but it has caused problems with my phone. As soon as I got it my phone started to play this weird notification sound at random intervals. The weird part is that I couldn't find the sound byte in the sound settings menu nor did I ever hear it in any of my apps. I figured it might be a bug caused by one of the apps I downloaded so I started deleting my most recent apps one by one, but the sound persisted. Eventually I reset my entire phone and again the sound was still there. Then a few days later I open up my wallet/case to find that my screen was constantly flickering. Having suspected that the magnet inside the case might be messing with the innards of the phone I immediately took it out, a few minutes and restarts later the screen was back to normal. It's been a week since I have taken my phone out of the case and I haven't had any issues with it since (no random sounds or screen flickering).

As stated earlier I think the magnet inside the case is what caused the issues, though after a quick Google search everyone seems to think that magnets are harmless when placed next to smart phones. So I have no proof except for my own experience. Take that as you will.

Hello, I had the same issue, but not with the case and nor on the Nexus 4 but the Galaxy Nexus. That weird sound is NFC communication failing. It happened with my work's Key-card, as it is magnetic as well. (Heck you should be able to replicate this with your ATM Card, if you place it next to your battery). I was quite annoyed having this issue for 2 months or so, not having a clue why it keeps doing that stupid sound. If you disable NFC, it fixes the issue you get on your phone normally. (Obviously i can replicate this behavior on the Nexus 4 as well)

Doesn't mean I would advocate for that particular case, but I think it's important to know where this issue stems from.

sarcastor

So, why should I get this phone over a Galaxy s3 or other available options? I need a new phone, but I'm not incredibly phone tech savvy and don't want to find myself with the wrong option.. I want something that is both all around good in both hardware and software.

im just going to get a used galaxy nexus on craigslist and switch to t-mobile now and wait for the nexus 4. No more contracts for me!

speaking of which, when the hell is google going to sell more phones? It's been like two months!

Koshiro

Then a few days later I open up my wallet/case to find that my screen was constantly flickering. Having suspected that the magnet inside the case might be messing with the innards of the phone I immediately took it out, a few minutes and restarts later the screen was back to normal. It's been a week since I have taken my phone out of the case and I haven't had any issues with it since (no random sounds or screen flickering).
This is unrelated to your first problem - a lot of people have had this, including myself, and I don't have the case. I've only had it once, and I had it along with a pale screen, and lines down the middle. Freaked out because it looked like the screen was screwed, but then it gradually sorted itself out. This thread will be of interest to you: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2014989

Maxrunner

Considering how fast mobile tech travels this stock issue is really bad for Google...i'm considering waiting for the s4 now....

DrFurbs

Both of mine just landed - both still have the glittery back too cos Ive read some are shipping without them.

Finally! My wife emailed to say shes jealous cos they are gorgeous lol.

Kanyon

I'm still waiting for this phone so I can move up from my Galaxy Nexus, but Google/LG are really dropping the ball on the stock issue.

eBay prices don't help as there's about a $200 premium on top of the regular price.

can someone change the title of this thread please? getting beyond a sick joke at this point.

still no shipping info 5 weeks after order...

thuway

Fuck Google seriously. Next time go with someone more competent than LG. They are more interested in pushing their Optimus Shit agenda than the flagship Google device. I really want this bitch to be in stock :(.

Hello, I had the same issue, but not with the case and nor on the Nexus 4 but the Galaxy Nexus. That weird sound is NFC communication failing. It happened with my work's Key-card, as it is magnetic as well. (Heck you should be able to replicate this with your ATM Card, if you place it next to your battery). I was quite annoyed having this issue for 2 months or so, not having a clue why it keeps doing that stupid sound. If you disable NFC, it fixes the issue you get on your phone normally. (Obviously i can replicate this behavior on the Nexus 4 as well)

Doesn't mean I would advocate for that particular case, but I think it's important to know where this issue stems from.

Thanks for responding. Glad to hear I'm not some isolated case. Still haven't had any issues since parting with the case.

This is unrelated to your first problem - a lot of people have had this, including myself, and I don't have the case. I've only had it once, and I had it along with a pale screen, and lines down the middle. Freaked out because it looked like the screen was screwed, but then it gradually sorted itself out. This thread will be of interest to you: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2014989

Really hope it's a software bug : (

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Google translate is jsut the coolest fucking star trek shit. God damn. The voice commands are better than siri, imo. Well done, Google.

FInally got my phone but I was banned from here for a while

BUttery. Getting about 1 day and 4 hours out of the battery. But I'm scared to use anything like Spotify, due to the battery

But the phone is mad buttery. Coming from iOS there are somethings I don't like, some I do. But it's really nice so far.

For some reason I can't compete a speed test on my nexus 4. Either get a connection error or download speed of 8-12 even though the actual connection for browsing is much faster than that. Any ideas?

Also the upload test works fine. So not sure if something is wrong with the phone or network or the speed test app

Damn my front factory screen protector fell off somewhere. Guess I'm gonna rock it naked until I get another front screen protector.

Top Bottom