• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

THE most annoying this with this phone/stock Android is the fact that there are 2 different mail systems

Also the 2ndary mail system is so gimped, I mean no swipe to new emails?! Or pulldown to refresh?

Hmmmm

well, it does manage to support stuff other than gmail. that's a plus!

though i guess now that the gmail app finally has pinch to zoom, the email app has one less thing going for it...

well, it does manage to support stuff other than gmail. that's a plus!

though i guess now that the gmail app finally has pinch to zoom, the email app has one less thing going for it...

Yes that's the other thing! Also the fact you can't fit the message into the one window without panning across

One or two other things I can't get my head around, most notably the back button- I don't understand when/how it will work

Other than thats liking the phone a lot. Battery life isn't THAT bad either. But can definitely improve

kehs

Banned

methane47

Is anyone else having issues with 3g and Wifi?

If I'm connected to Wifi for a while and then with wifi on leave the wifi area my 3g will simply not connect for a long period of time. In order to resolve it i turn on 2g networks only and then turn that setting off.

But is anyone else getting something similar?

Cipherr

Also the 2ndary mail system is so gimped, I mean no swipe to new emails?! Or pulldown to refresh?
Yes that's the other thing! Also the fact you can't fit the message into the one window without panning across

That email app is probably one of those ecosystem things. The G-Mail app is amaaaazing now. It'll probably be a bit before they improve the non-gmail app to parity. But yeah, sucks if you aren't using the G-Services, they provide the best experience. If you are using a non-gmail address, you are likely better off grabbing a nice e-mail client off of the Play Store.

Try Aqua Mail, or K9 mail.

NeoRausch

Plus it's much easier to get into settings on the phone. Swipe down from the top and hit the button in the upper right corner and you are there.

You're in for a surprise. do a two finger swipe down and you don't even need to to push the button in the corner.

The only time I've had the two-button settings swipe not work was when the phone was plugged in and charging. It gets all jumpy.

Hopefully it gets fixed in the next update.

NeoRausch

anybody had earlier copied text appear in a rather later copy odd a totally different text?

rather strange bug. just copied in a text from a mail with a tracking number I've copied this afternoon in the middle of it.

Razdek

Banned
Installed Franco kernel r28 and my battery life has been amazing so far. On stand by overnight it just went down 5% after 8 hours and I'm currently at 58% at just over 18 hours with light browsing, texting, music streaming and texting, amd 4 push email accounts running. I'm really impressed with this phone.

Installed Franco kernel r28 and my battery life has been amazing so far. On stand by overnight it just went down 5% after 8 hours and I'm currently at 58% at just over 18 hours with light browsing, texting, music streaming and texting, amd 4 push email accounts running. I'm really impressed with this phone.

That doesn#t sound great. I get 1 day and 10 hours out of my phone normally...its the on screen time we need to know!

kitch9

Banned

Your phone is much more stuttery too.....

Razdek

Banned
That doesn#t sound great. I get 1 day and 10 hours out of my phone normally...its the on screen time we need to know!
Coming from an older Android phone it's a big improvement. Before I flashed the kernel it would drain pretty quick but I can see the difference after. Guess it depends how much you use it.

abunai

I used to get just about 3 hours of screen on time over a day of normal usage with stock/stock. On Paranoid/faux kernel I get 6.5-7 hours screen on time with the same type of usage. 1.3GHz-384MHz max/min, -225mV undervolt, intellidemand, fiops 2048.

Wifi only, if out and on HSPA then screen on will come in at about 4.5 hours (used to be 3.5 hours but the Qualcomm HSPA drain fix included in faux kernel helped a lot).

Mrbob

You're in for a surprise. do a two finger swipe down and you don't even need to to push the button in the corner.

Sweet, even better.

I'm learning new things all the time with this device which pleasantly surprise me. Now I just found out about gesture typing, and it has completely changed the way I text. Works extremely well, and if there is a word the program doesn't know you can add it to the dictionary.

Upgrading from a HTC Desire and must say that it is truly is the most swift, smooth and beautiful android experience out there. (Can't say anything about the SIII though, havent tried it)

Love everything about it though the back get's warm when gaming for longer periods of time, which can be quite annoying.

I love changing the wallpaper of my phone regularly to keep the experience "fresh" but I've used every one of them by now, does anyone know a good website with great smartphone wallpapers ?

maharg

idspispopd
I find the two-finger swipe kind of awkward and error-prone. I thought I remembered someone saying it was going to be based on where you swiped down, which I'd like a lot better. Left side notifications, right side system prefs.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I find the two-finger swipe kind of awkward and error-prone. I thought I remembered someone saying it was going to be based on where you swiped down, which I'd like a lot better. Left side notifications, right side system prefs.

CM 10.1 has that option.

It works like that on tablets (Mrs' Nexus 7 does that) but not on phones (at least on my N4 on stock, not sure if custom roms have that enabled)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
. Works extremely well, and if there is a word the program doesn't know you can add it to the dictionary.

How do I do that again? I managed it once, by accident, then forgot about it :3

Emwitus

Everytime i see a thread bump i think the phone is back in store :( How long is LG going to hold shipment? I assume they're trying to sell as many as they can on contract.

Razdek

Banned
I used to get just about 3 hours of screen on time over a day of normal usage with stock/stock. On Paranoid/faux kernel I get 6.5-7 hours screen on time with the same type of usage. 1.3GHz-384MHz max/min, -225mV undervolt, intellidemand, fiops 2048.

Wifi only, if out and on HSPA then screen on will come in at about 4.5 hours (used to be 3.5 hours but the Qualcomm HSPA drain fix included in faux kernel helped a lot).

That sounds amazing and I'll have to try that kernel out.

Razdek

Banned
I meant my stats are from Nexus 4. How long did you run Nexus 4 as stock?

I ran stock for about a week or so before flashing. Maybe it's because I was always playing with it too much for the first few days or so that it seemed like the battery wasn't too great but it's fine now. I might try the paranoid/faux kernel that was mentioned here to compare.

derder

I'll post pics tonight, but this case scraped the chrome finish on my phone in less than a month of use.
49976d1354863135t-diztronic-case-uploadfromtaptalk1354863130943.jpg

I bought this case and it's pure sex:
41n%2BXZuiF7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

NeoRausch

and why does stock android not support panoramic view in its standard home menu?

it's so irritating to exit an app while the screen switches to vertical all of the sudden.

Cipherr

and why does stock android not support panoramic view in its standard home menu?

it's so irritating to exit an app while the screen switches to vertical all of the sudden.

I actually kind of like it that the homescreens dont do landscape. I think they have that right. Just a preference of mine though, there are launchers that support that.

I had those plastic screen/back protectors that come with the phone when you open up the box that I kept on for a month and just recently took them off lol. I suggest keeping those on the first few weeks when your more prone to scratch the thing because your playing with it literally every second.

Been using the phone naked for a few weeks now and no scratches whatsoever. I have a designated pocket in my jacket I only use for my phone so maybe that helps not putting it in places with anything else. Much more slippy then my old 4S though.

Maiar_m

Been using the phone naked for a few weeks now and no scratches whatsoever. I have a designated pocket in my jacket I only use for my phone so maybe that helps not putting it in places with anything else. Much more slippy then my old 4S though.

Same. I have the phone since day one (well, delivery day 1, not retail day 1), got the stickers out of the way real fast, and it's got no scratch whatsoever. It fell a couple times though, slippery as it is, but there again: no battle scars to be seen.

Really great phone, would buy again.

maharg

idspispopd
Well, I had no scratches or anything. Then it slid off a counter while charging, so now it's got a shattered corner. Fucking glass backs.

Shambles

Well, I had no scratches or anything. Then it slid off a counter while charging, so now it's got a shattered corner. Fucking glass backs.

These things are as slick as ice on ice. I have a skin on the back of the phone which gives it a lot more grip on the back which is nice but I left the front naked because it feels a lot better to swipe with. Put me phone on my nightstand facedown one night with the USB cable attached, turned off the lights and ten minutes later I hear it hit the ground. Luckily mine was fine but I won't be putting it face down on a smooth surface again. You could play air hockey with these phones.

P.S. If anyone who reads here happens to be in the Edmonton area I have an extra phone that I'd let go for cost. Didn't cancel my second order in time :S

gcubed

When was the last time these were in stock?

I probably would have bit on one by now if they weren't always sold out. Bad work, Google.

if this was the first device they couldn't keep in stock i'd give them a bit of leeway on not getting the demand right, but its the 2nd new product in the row they've fucked up on. They really need to hire a hardware coordinator before the next Nexus.

buhdeh

It's pretty dumb. I know so many people interested in this phone after they've seen and played with mine but outside of a 10 minute window on Dec 3rd, its been out of stock in Canada since it launched.

Top Bottom