• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Shambles

It's pretty dumb. I know so many people interested in this phone after they've seen and played with mine but outside of a 10 minute window on Dec 3rd, its been out of stock in Canada since it launched.

It's been up for sale twice in Canada. Dec.3 was the 2nd time. They took enough orders that they're still working through them today.

HildyB

Been waiting for 6 weeks for my Nexus 4 ordered Nov 27th... contacted them again today to find my order was canceled somehow :( They say nothing they can do since they are sold out.
Waiting for it to get back in stock, or maybe I will wait for the Galaxy S4.

Pretty much where I'm at again too.

I feel pretty bad for the people who are still backordered and didnt get one. Ive had mine since beginning/mid december....sucks hoe Google is handling it.

But then again, might be good in the long run.

Rengoku

New Google Chrome Beta is out for android devices.

You won't be able to find it in the Play Store, have to download through link here:

Blogpost Link: http://chrome.blogspot.ca/2013/01/our-newest-beta-for-android-phones-and.html
Playstore Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chrome.beta

Just did a sunspider test to compare speeds between Chrome, Chrome Beta, and AOSP Browser. All tests done on the Nexus 4.

I haven't tested it out much, but I could immediately tell that scrolling through the full Verge webpage was definitely less laggy.

Chrome: 1797 ms
Chrome Beta: 1261.9 ms
AOSP Browser: 1465.1 ms

Sunspider Test Images

From Left to Right: Chrome, Chrome Beta, AOSP Browser

iblVIghdB9uYPn.png
izowW3yTcZyCA.png
i4XWiQBpojYHR.png

Razdek

Banned
I just noticed that you can use the screen while wearing gloves like the lumia 920. Has that always been there? Nice for Canadian winters.

So ridiculous if true. I wonder how many phones really have been sold. I feel like I'm the owner of some rare relic no one has ever seen or heard of. Google made the wrong choice going with LG imo. Although Google are equally to blame if not more I guess.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Welp, after using a naked phone since forever, my Nexus 4 has a pretty decent sized circular scratch on it. Dammit. It's never happened to me before. In a decade of owning a smart phone.

I would be more upset if this phone weren't so cheap.

I'm going to have to get a screen protector for the very first time. Which one is everyone using? Or I just may live with it.

So ridiculous if true. I wonder how many phones really have been sold. I feel like I'm the owner of some rare relic no one has ever seen or heard of. Google made the wrong choice going with LG imo. Although Google are equally to blame if not more I guess.

I didn't think LG would be that bad of a partner but now I can see what everyone was talking about.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

But it's a freaking awesome relic, and everyone will look and it and say "oooo what's that, it looks so NICE"! That's a good thing, right?

So I've always had an issue with WiFi with the n4. Mostly noticed when viewing YouTube videos and it would forever be buffering. Never bothered to look into it until last night because tbh never really cared. I guess it's a widespread issue according to many posts at XDA. All it took was installing the latest franco kernel w/ the new WiFi drivers in it and works fine now.

TehOh

I installed the Chrome Beta and it murdered my battery. The phone would run really hot after a few minutes of using the beta, and the battery would drain by a few percent per minute.

Uninstalled that shit quickly. It did seem faster, but there's some horrible bug in there.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So I've always had an issue with WiFi with the n4. Mostly noticed when viewing YouTube videos and it would forever be buffering. Never bothered to look into it until last night because tbh never really cared. I guess it's a widespread issue according to many posts at XDA. All it took was installing the latest franco kernel w/ the new WiFi drivers in it and works fine now.

Never had any Wifi issues and still get 4-5 hours display time stock.

Shambles

I just frequently find the YouTube is terrible at streaming in general. It buffers on my phone's wifi but it also buffers frequently on my hard lined computers. I haven't had any issues with any other program and usually push over 10Mb over my wifi setup.

I just frequently find the YouTube is terrible at streaming in general. It buffers on my phone's wifi but it also buffers frequently on my hard lined computers. I haven't had any issues with any other program and usually push over 10Mb over my wifi setup.

It was a constant issue for me on the nexus 4 and no other devices. Since installing franco kernel I've experienced no issues.

f0rk

On desktops the last big youtube update really fucked it up, I regularly have problems as well.

buhdeh

Welp, after using a naked phone since forever, my Nexus 4 has a pretty decent sized circular scratch on it. Dammit. It's never happened to me before. In a decade of owning a smart phone.

I would be more upset if this phone weren't so cheap.

I'm going to have to get a screen protector for the very first time. Which one is everyone using? Or I just may live with it.

Told you guys this thing scratches easily. My iPhone 4S never got a single scratch and I never used a case nor treated it as carefully as I do with the N4. I want Samsung back as the Nexus OEM. At least they'd have the quality and production right. Google wasted the Nexus 4 design on a subpar manufacturing partner.

maharg

idspispopd
Told you guys this thing scratches easily. My iPhone 4S never got a single scratch and I never used a case nor treated it as carefully as I do with the N4. I want Samsung back as the Nexus OEM. At least they'd have the quality and production right. Google wasted the Nexus 4 design on a subpar manufacturing partner.

The Nexus 4 design came from LG, it wasn't given to them. If the Nexus 4 had been made by Samsung it probably would have looked pretty much like the Galaxy Nexus++.

Obviously there have been problems with LG as a partner, but I think moving the Nexus flag around to different manufacturers is still a very good idea that Google should continue. They need a viable ecosystem, and Samsung's dominance isn't really good for that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'd rather have this scratch than a hunk of plastic.

mackattk

Does any one know the stock voltage settings? My phone has been rebooting randomly, and I think it might be some under voltage settings. I should have backed up the stock, but that is to late now.

KarmaCow

Has anyone run into the issue where the phone suddenly can't find mobile networks? I think (hope) it's just the sim card but outside getting a new one I'm not sure how to do diagnose this.

I've tried rebooting, switching on and off airplane mode, taking the sim card out but nothing has worked. When I got to the networks setting to make it search for mobile networks, it says "error while searching for mobile networks" and telling to find automatically find a new one says it cannot be done at this time.

I really hope this isn't a hardware problem because I just got the screen protector on it a few days ago among other reasons.

Has anyone run into the issue where the phone suddenly can't find mobile networks? I think (hope) it's just the sim card but outside getting a new one I'm not sure how to do diagnose this.

I've tried rebooting, switching on and off airplane mode, taking the sim card out but nothing has worked. When I got to the networks setting to make it search for mobile networks, it says "error while searching for mobile networks" and telling to find automatically find a new one says it cannot be done at this time.

I really hope this isn't a hardware problem because I just got the screen protector on it a few days ago among other reasons.
Happened to me a few days ago. Just couldn't get it to appear. It fixed itself on restart though. Only happened that one and only time.

Just add it to the list of hardware issues or 4.2 bugs. Who knows.

bjscott05

I've gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with Google's support of the nexus 4. 4.2.1 is clearly not very good. I've gone the custom kernel route, but in the end Google needs to get some official updates out.

I love my nexus 7 and 4, but it sometimes seems like Google is too focused on the future rather than refining current products.

I've gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with Google's support of the nexus 4. 4.2.1 is clearly not very good. I've gone the custom kernel route, but in the end Google needs to get some official updates out.

I love my nexus 7 and 4, but it sometimes seems like Google is too focused on the future rather than refining current products.

Their current product is not even available for sale. I don't get why they aren't mass-producing it to the masses.

KarmaCow

I wasn't able to test if the lack of cell service was problem with the phone or the sim card yet due to Wind giving me "talk to this other person" routine over and over so if it does end up being the phone, how long would it take to get it fixed assuming I can send it back in?

Bboy AJ

I just noticed bottom part of my chrome bezel has scratch marks. What the fuck. Every phone I've ever owned has been pristine. Ask Andrex. I sold him my Galaxy Nexus and it was flawless. This phone, though. It is the Elijah Price of phones.

tumblr_lvwj28W5jy1qg6ctpo1_500.jpg

Slap those full plastic body covers and Otterboxes if you want to keep this phone in perfect shape. Otherwise, expect it to have some wear and tear like a dog owned it. Thankfully, again, the phone is cheap enough I could just buy another next year and not care. I'll deal with its fragility for the nice design and cheap price. But still, fuck you, LG.

reKon

Banned
The Nexus 4 sold me on the idea of eventually getting out carrier contracts and buying phones like this for $350 - $400. With all these issues that have erupted with LG, I don't know if I'll be even trying to get a Nexus 4 anymore.

This future Motorola phone may have everything I wanted out of the the Nexus line and hopefully it won't look ugly.

Everything I wanted = bigger upgrade in the camera, bigger battery, better radio.

The Galaxy Nexus is still a fine phone though, but there needs to be a phone that I can keep for 3 years and not give a shit about anything else because it's extremely reliable for calls/GPS, constantly smooth all the time, and has great all day battery life.

...and everyone bashed me before launch when I said my biggest issue with getting this phone was that its made by LG. lol

LG are just below average at making quality hardware. Peoples bad experiences with them are no myth. End of story.

Nicktendo86

I just noticed bottom part of my chrome bezel has scratch marks. What the fuck. Every phone I've ever owned has been pristine. Ask Andrex. I sold him my Galaxy Nexus and it was flawless. This phone, though. It is the Elijah Price of phones.

tumblr_lvwj28W5jy1qg6ctpo1_500.jpg

Slap those full plastic body covers and Otterboxes if you want to keep this phone in perfect shape. Otherwise, expect it to have some wear and tear like a dog owned it. Thankfully, again, the phone is cheap enough I could just buy another next year and not care. I'll deal with its fragility for the nice design and cheap price. But still, fuck you, LG.

Might have to go with official bumper and screen protectors front and back when I get mine (if I can when my contract is up on August).

So, any word at all from Google about what the hell is going on with this bloody phone? Has anyone managed to get one ok on contract?

NeoRausch

sometimes I hit the screen in the browser and get magnifying glass thing accidentally.

how do I do that on purpose?

edit:
chrome stock browser that is.

Top Bottom