• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

DaNcaKe

sometimes I hit the screen in the browser and get magnifying glass thing accidentally.

how do I do that on purpose?

edit:
chrome stock browser that is.
Only circumstance I can get that to happen is if there is a list of links that are close together, and if when you press one of them it isn't EXACTLY on it then it will zoom in to basically double check which one you want.

Not entirely sure, put I think there is a magnification gesture in accessibility settings somewhere. That might do the trick.

Stupidly sold my Optimus Black back in November expecting to buy this phone day one. Here we are mid January and I can't even order one. Now using my old Optimus One, losing patience waiting...

HildyB

Stupidly sold my Optimus Black back in November expecting to buy this phone day one. Here we are mid January and I can't even order one. Now using my old Optimus One, losing patience waiting...

Same boat, stupidly sold my S3 when Google notified me of the Nov 27th sale date. Ordered and they canceled my order (error), but due to the high volume, that email never made it to me till I inquired last week why my phone hasn't shipped. Been stuck using my wife's busted iPhone 4... uhg.. was ready to jump on an over priced eBay auction... but now that there is rumor of a new Nexus... hmmm

maharg

idspispopd
I still can't even fathom selling an old phone in favour of a new one you haven't even ordered yet. Why would you even do that?

I still can't even fathom selling an old phone in favour of a new one you haven't even ordered yet. Why would you even do that?

Agreed.

Still, I feel bad for folks that had hoped to get a Nexus 4 and can't. I got mine through T-Mobile at the end of November. Anyone know what their supply is like now?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed.

Still, I feel bad for folks that had hoped to get a Nexus 4 and can't. I got mine through T-Mobile at the end of November. Anyone know what their supply is like now?

Yeah I really didn't expect this to take that long for everone either. The wait is worth it though, at least in my opinion. Loving that thing.

NeoRausch

Only circumstance I can get that to happen is if there is a list of links that are close together, and if when you press one of them it isn't EXACTLY on it then it will zoom in to basically double check which one you want.

Not entirely sure, put I think there is a magnification gesture in accessibility settings somewhere. That might do the trick.

huh, now that you mention it... it only seems to appear when hitting a bulk of links, or linked pictures.

KarmaCow

So I'm getting a replacement for my phone since I think the antenna is broken, who knows when they'll actually send it though. It's somewhat funny that the phone is fine for everything except using it as a phone. I know it sounds whiny considering some people haven't even got their phone yet but it still irks me that there is no real estimate on how long it will take.

This is probably crazy but has anyone had any issues with Ghost Armor screen protectors messing with the phone? The issue only popped up after I had one put on.

I'm kinda annoyed that I spent $30 for the thing to protect the phone and now the screen protector useless within less than a week. I had the same issue with putting on screen protectors on my 3DS, twice. Both times I put one on, a week or two later a dead pixel popped rendering the screen protector moot because I had to send the old 3DS in to get a new 3DS. I'm still anxious about going without a screen protector but I don't want to run into this issue again.

Nicktendo86

I hope hope HOPE this is true, contract is up in August (finially) and I was going to go for the N4 but I'd love an N5 if those rumours are true. SOMETHING is up, the N4 has been so hard to get hold of it is almost like they are looking towards their next project. I dunno, this situation has been so fucked up.

mackattk

I hope hope HOPE this is true, contract is up in August (finially) and I was going to go for the N4 but I'd love an N5 if those rumours are true. SOMETHING is up, the N4 has been so hard to get hold of it is almost like they are looking towards their next project. I dunno, this situation has been so fucked up.

This is a big fuck you to the people who bought the Nexus 4. I expect a yearly refresh, but a two month refresh? If I knew that a new phone would come out, with a 5" display, 1080p screen, upgraded processor, among other things, I would have waited. Google better do something to fix appease the Nexus 4 buyers.

Granted, the Nexus 5 isn't out just yet. But talks of a new one this fast is jarring.

The name makes me skeptical. I just don't see Google following this "Nexus #" naming convention for very long, for rather obvious reasons.

Unless the Nexus 5 is just meant to serve as Google's own equivalent of the Note, which makes sense. Perhaps they're not aiming to replace the Nexus 4, but rather offering a larger-sized phone to complement it.

twofold

Shrug. I'll just sell the Nexus 4 when it's announced and grab the new one. If it really will cost the same as a Nexus 4, it won't cost much to upgrade.

reKon

Banned
I don't understand how LG can casually just damage control this whole situation. How long has this phone been out of stock? Nearly a month now? That's beyond pathetic.

Shambles

I don't understand how LG can casually just damage control this whole situation. How long has this phone been out of stock? Nearly a month now? That's beyond pathetic.

They took 2 months worth of orders and are filling them. How are people getting confused by this?

reKon

Banned
They took 2 months worth of orders and are filling them. How are people getting confused by this?

I'm confused by them denying that they have a supply issue and the fact that they're taking this long to fulfill that volume of orders. They were obviously not prepared for this this and in addition I understand that people's orders were cancelled.

But seriously, WTF is with the bumpers?

The phone shortage I can kind of (but not really) understand, but the bumpers? It's rubber and plastic, for chrissakes.

reKon

Banned
But seriously, WTF is with the bumpers?

The phone shortage I can kind of (but not really) understand, but the bumpers? It's rubber and plastic, for chrissakes.

Yeah this doesn't make sense either. I really like Nexus phones but they need to take this note seriously, especially when they are delivering a product at a price that attempts to shake up the industry.

I guess this means I'll never see my 32gb version

Shambles

I'm confused by them denying that they have a supply issue and the fact that they're taking this long to fulfill that volume of orders. They were obviously not prepared for this this and in addition I understand that people's orders were cancelled.

During the last round of orders they gave shipping estimates up to 8 weeks away or so (at least in Canada). They have a pretty good idea of how many units/week they are getting so for those in Canada don't expect the phone to go on sale again anytime before Jan. 28 (8 weeks from Dec.3). I don't remember how far they filled orders on the 2nd round of sales in the states on Nov.27 but applying the same sort of math will give you a pretty good idea when to expect to see the phone on sale again. While I would assume some people have cancelled orders there probably aren't enough cancellations to significantly push up the next period of availability.

felipeko

This is probably Google's fault. Nexus 4 is Google's 4th Nexus phone, the first 3 bombed, and bombed hard. Google obviously underestimated demand, and ordered few phones from LG. Google is the only one to blame here.
They could have released it US only, until they had more units, but they choose WW release, so obviously they thought they had enough units. When they opened Play Store for the second time, they sold more phones than they had in stock, or to be manufactured in that month. They obviously didn't expect any success from this phone (they call Nexus brand as 'developer and enthusiast' phone).

So from LG side, they do not have a supply issue. Google ordered few thousands, LG made few thousands. It's impossible for LG to ramp it up to 5 million in a month, and maybe stop producing the next month, after pent up demand satisfied, going from a low initial order.

Not sure that I even want a 5" screen unless it's exactly the same size as the Nexus 4 (which it probably won't be).

its not impossible

ljO5W.jpg

Maiar_m

No restock + no wireless charger + no bumper + no communication from Google about the nexus 4 anymore = ? I'm pretty sure the N4 is already over, now there's some stock apparently available to the carriers (seen some in SFR stores in France, 500€ for the 8GB version out of contract) but when they're through selling their crap, I don't expect LG to be given a second chance.

Nicktendo86

This is a big fuck you to the people who bought the Nexus 4. I expect a yearly refresh, but a two month refresh? If I knew that a new phone would come out, with a 5" display, 1080p screen, upgraded processor, among other things, I would have waited. Google better do something to fix appease the Nexus 4 buyers.

Granted, the Nexus 5 isn't out just yet. But talks of a new one this fast is jarring.

I doubt this is true but, like others have said, it would probably be a new phone to compliment the 4" offering. I don't know who to blame for the whole stock fiasco, I'd go with Google for not ordering enough but who knows.

DXPett1

I went to a lot of fucking effort (
read: too much effort, thanks Google
) to purchase the Nexus 4, not about to throw that away for a 2 month upgrade. Time to go on a black out

I don't know why anyone who actually got this phone would be pissed off. It's still a really awesome phone. I don't regret buying it in the slightest. (And hey, it's a collectors' item!)

Plus, the thing is unlocked, so if you really want to get the next one, there's nothing stopping you. Assuming the successor is at a similar price point and you're on a reasonable prepaid plan, you'd still be way better off than someone stuck on a two-year contract.

A real field test yesterday = going to a concert. Two huge negatives were the camera in low light/auto focus and the volume through headphones.

I had to pull out my damn iPad to take pictures because the nexus was under performing.

Then coming home I wanted to blast some music through my sound isolating headphones, but I just got nothing through my ears, no bass, nothing...

...let's not pretend. This isn't a cheap phone. Its a £400 phone. For that price there are better alternatives out there. So if you aren't getting it cheaper from Google. I suggest look else where i.e. preowned Galaxy S3

Rhindle

I don't know why anyone who actually got this phone would be pissed off. It's still a really awesome phone. I don't regret buying it in the slightest. (And hey, it's a collectors' item!)

Plus, the thing is unlocked, so if you really want to get the next one, there's nothing stopping you. Assuming the successor is at a similar price point and you're on a reasonable prepaid plan, you'd still be way better off than someone stuck on a two-year contract.
Hey if Google wants to release a new Nexus every 6 months that's fine with me. That just means I can upgrade (for cheap) to a leading edge phone anytime I'm so inclined.

Cyrillus

A real field test yesterday = going to a concert. Two huge negatives were the camera in low light/auto focus and the volume through headphones.

I had to pull out my damn iPad to take pictures because the nexus was under performing.

Then coming home I wanted to blast some music through my sound isolating headphones, but I just got nothing through my ears, no bass, nothing...

...let's not pretend. This isn't a cheap phone. Its a £400 phone. For that price there are better alternatives out there. So if you aren't getting it cheaper from Google. I suggest look else where i.e. preowned Galaxy S3

Is it?

£239 8GB and £279 16GB on the Play Store? Yes, it's unavailable, but availability is another discussion.

hitsugi

indeed a HUGE fuck you

Top Bottom