• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

A real field test yesterday = going to a concert. Two huge negatives were the camera in low light/auto focus and the volume through headphones.

I had to pull out my damn iPad to take pictures because the nexus was under performing.

Then coming home I wanted to blast some music through my sound isolating headphones, but I just got nothing through my ears, no bass, nothing...

...let's not pretend. This isn't a cheap phone. Its a £400 phone. For that price there are better alternatives out there. So if you aren't getting it cheaper from Google. I suggest look else where i.e. preowned Galaxy S3

Wait wait wait. You took you iPad to a concert and then you took pictures with it??? Please don't be that guy. You ruin concerts for everyone else.

Sorry for the OT, but that drives me insane.

Grabbed link from the Android thread. No N5 from LG (yet). And on a brighter note, was able to get a N4 yesterday! Love it!

So I'm guessing they're just stockpiling a huge supply of phones for the next round? That's understandable, I guess.

That still doesn't explain the lack of bumpers, though. The lucky few of us who do have the phone shouldn't be denied the ability to buy the official accessories.

derder

idk if they release a n5 in 3 months - it doesn't make my nexus 4 any less badass. Plus, 4.7" is already too big, I don't see myself ever using a 5" screen - period.

idk if they release a n5 in 3 months - it doesn't make my nexus 4 any less badass. Plus, 4.7" is already too big, I don't see myself ever using a 5" screen - period.

Agreed 100%. I'm hoping there's a Nexus Mini or Nexus Pocket or something before too long. I love my N4, but I'd love a slightly smaller form factor.

Also, where is the wireless charging orb, Googs?

buhdeh

So I'm guessing they're just stockpiling a huge supply of phones for the next round? That's understandable, I guess.

That still doesn't explain the lack of bumpers, though. The lucky few of us who do have the phone shouldn't be denied the ability to buy the official accessories.

Don't think the official bumper is very good. Makes the phone even more slippery than it already is.

Yep. I'm fine with my Nexus 4 size.

A real field test yesterday = going to a concert. Two huge negatives were the camera in low light/auto focus and the volume through headphones.

I had to pull out my damn iPad to take pictures because the nexus was under performing.

Then coming home I wanted to blast some music through my sound isolating headphones, but I just got nothing through my ears, no bass, nothing...

...let's not pretend. This isn't a cheap phone. Its a £400 phone. For that price there are better alternatives out there. So if you aren't getting it cheaper from Google. I suggest look else where i.e. preowned Galaxy S3

Come on, it's a $350 phone. It sells for less than the iPhone 4. The camera is passable and I've never had this sound issue (I listen to podcasts every day on the way to work). I've had the S3 before and it's a huge piece of crap.

Is it?

£239 8GB and £279 16GB on the Play Store? Yes, it's unavailable, but availability is another discussion.

It is £400. Remember Google are selling it cheaper as they can afford the loss, CPW & o2 are selling it at it's RRP.

Wait wait wait. You took you iPad to a concert and then you took pictures with it??? Please don't be that guy. You ruin concerts for everyone else.

Sorry for the OT, but that drives me insane.

No, came from work and had an iPad on me at the same time

The fact that the video and and pictures on an iPad were better using the iPad speaks louder...

It ruined no ones concert...grow up man

No, came from work and had an iPad on me at the same time

The fact that the video and and pictures on an iPad were better using the iPad speaks louder...

It ruined no ones concert...grow up man

Ehn, whenever I go to a show, people's phones are annoying enough but an iPad out at a concert is rude and totally absurd. I wish people would actually enjoy the experience of being at a live show rather than obsessively document it as if not doing so would mean it never actually happened.

Ehn, whenever I go to a show, people's phones are annoying enough but an iPad out at a concert is rude and totally absurd. I wish people would actually enjoy the experience of being at a live show rather than obsessively document it as if not doing so would mean it never actually happened.

Rude?! You sound so old! People take pictures so they can look back on it at a later date and share the event with others. There's no harm in that at all, you sound like a grouch.

If the Nexus had better imagery and a better microphone I would never have had to pull it out.

Rude?! You sound so old! People take pictures so they can look back on it at a later date and share the event with others. There's no harm in that at all, you sound like a grouch.

If the Nexus had better imagery and a better microphone I would never have had to pull it out.

Right of course. Because telling people you were there > enjoying the actual experience of being there.

Anyway, I'm done talking about it. In the future, please consider how distracting an enormous glowing screen can be when people are trying to focus see a show.

Right of course. Because telling people you were there > enjoying the actual experience of being there.

Anyway, I'm done talking about it. In the future, please consider how distracting an enormous glowing screen can be when people are trying to focus see a show.

And make sure you dust the sand out of your vagina before you go to sleep tonight

Anyway, I'm using the keyboard gestures a lot more top type now. Is swiftkey actually better? I find the stock swipe is ok

DarkFlow

Banned
So I'm still rocking my nexus galaxy, but I want a 4. Since the damn thing is impossible to find, think I should just hold out for the 5 at this point?

Kanyon

Got my Nexus 4 yesterday, I've upgraded from a Galaxy Nexus... I am absolutely loving this thing! The screen is wonderful, the OS is blistering smooth and it's definitely a step up from my Galaxy Nexus (which has served me well over the past year).

cube444

So the phone that I ordered on Dec 3 for my buddy finally shipped today. Tracking info shows that it's shipping from Louisville, Kentucky while I live in Toronto.

Is this the usual shipping route? I just assumed that Google would have a main warehouse in Canada where they'd ship the arrived units out from.

So the phone that I ordered on Dec 3 for my buddy finally shipped today. Tracking info shows that it's shipping from Louisville, Kentucky while I live in Toronto.

Is this the usual shipping route? I just assumed that Google would have a main warehouse in Canada where they'd ship the arrived units out from.
Yes. Kentucky is where the phone ships from for all of the USA and Canada I believe.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Read some translated French article over on Reddit (can't find it ATM) and hopefully there will be another shipment by late February at the latest. Basically Google didn't expect such a demand, ordered a set number. The whole Google/LG process takes six weeks so hopefully something happens soon. Was going to get a Galaxy Nexus off of Kijiji today but I'll hold out a little longer.

Nexus 4: LG Finally Explains Itself

JordanKZ

Do LG even have their own factories? Or are they like Samsung who rely on Foxconn? You can understand how difficult it would be to ramp up production quickly in that circumstance.

As for new Nexus devices? Of course there's going be a refreshed Nexus 7 this year. Possibly for the Android 5.0 reveal at I/O this year.

Nicktendo86

Read some translated French article over on Reddit (can't find it ATM) and hopefully there will be another shipment by late February at the latest. Basically Google didn't expect such a demand, ordered a set number. The whole Google/LG process takes six weeks so hopefully something happens soon. Was going to get a Galaxy Nexus off of Kijiji today but I'll hold out a little longer.

Nexus 4: LG Finally Explains Itself

Makes total sense, the GNexus did not sell well at all (despite seeing a lot of TV adverts here in the UK) so I wouldn't be shocked if Google judged demand for the N4 completely wrong. As the article says it takes time to get the production ramped up after putting in the orders, my guess would be after Feb they will be a lot easier to get hold of. If Google were just to come out and say that though rather than letting everyone hanging would be a big help, I can't understand why they continue to publicly ignore the whole situation.

JonnyBrad

Makes total sense, the GNexus did not sell well at all (despite seeing a lot of TV adverts here in the UK) so I wouldn't be shocked if Google judged demand for the N4 completely wrong. As the article says it takes time to get the production ramped up after putting in the orders, my guess would be after Feb they will be a lot easier to get hold of. If Google were just to come out and say that though rather than letting everyone hanging would be a big help, I can't understand why they continue to publicly ignore the whole situation.

This makes their decision to not allow pre orders even more stupid. That is the reason they exist. So that retailers (in this case goog) can judge demand.

They really need to hire some fucking retail people. I've given up trying to get an N4 now and will be waiting on an Xperia Z.

Metroid

Slightly Off Topic here but would you recommend the HTC One S over the Nexus 4? I'm sick of waiting for availability. I can get ihr for 300€ here.

This makes their decision to not allow pre orders even more stupid. That is the reason they exist. So that retailers (in this case goog) can judge demand.

They really need to hire some fucking retail people. I've given up trying to get an N4 now and will be waiting on an Xperia Z.

I was out the moment I heard it was being made by LG as much as I was waiting on the new nexus phone. I'm with you on that, it's either the Z or ZL at this point.

hitsugi

I was out the moment I heard it was being made by LG as much as I was waiting on the new nexus phone. I'm with you on that, it's either the Z or ZL at this point.

...why wouldn't it be those phones regardless of the N4's availability? Had I not already gotten my N4, it would have been one of the new Xperias for sure.

Shambles

The entire past two months have effectively been pre-orders. Would you magically feel better if they adjusted the release date to Jan.31 and no one was able to get any phones until then?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is the battery still really shit >_<?

No. As soon as the first official update went out, everything was peachy and still is, can go through 2 days without problems without shutting off everything that makes it a smartphone. Mileage may vary though, personal use and all.

markot

Banned
I hope battery life becomes a bigger concern for everyone. Apple seems to be doing better each generation, while some android makers seem to give it very little importance. It seems the bullet points of CPU, screen size and thinness are more important to them.

I hope battery life becomes a bigger concern for everyone. Apple seems to be doing better each generation, while some android makers seem to give it very little importance. It seems the bullet points of CPU, screen size and thinness are more important to them.

AFAIK, the iphone 5 has much worse battery performance than the 4 or 4S.

But you can keep on trolling markot :p

hitsugi

Just often are you staring at the screen on your phone every day?

TehOh

I only get something like 2.5 hours of screen time. Seems pretty bad. Is there some magical settings combination you guys are using?

I'm running Juice Defender, and it seems to help some. HSPA+ battery drain seems pretty heavy, and a good bit of my phone use is when I'm just on cell network (long commute on a bus and generally no wifi at work).

Android OS is the biggest drain culprit in the battery stats. Location history is off, as is location sharing and location reporting. Screen brightness is at 20-25ish% (auto brightness also was harder on battery time).

Any suggestions?

DaNcaKe

I only get something like 2.5 hours of screen time. Seems pretty bad. Is there some magical settings combination you guys are using?

I'm running Juice Defender, and it seems to help some. HSPA+ battery drain seems pretty heavy, and a good bit of my phone use is when I'm just on cell network (long commute on a bus and generally no wifi at work).

Android OS is the biggest drain culprit in the battery stats. Location history is off, as is location sharing and location reporting. Screen brightness is at 20-25ish% (auto brightness also was harder on battery time).

Any suggestions?

I highly recommend the franco kernel (if you feel comfortable installing it) as that has significantly increased my screen time.
I run that and stock android and get around 4hrs screen time (Twitter, FB, 2xEmail, Location Off, Google Now off).

aznpxdd

So I got my replica bumper today ($10 shipped), and the quality is pretty good! I talked to the manufacture and apparently they used the exact same mold as the OEM one, so fitment shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately I can't try the fitment since my sweet Nexus 4 is waiting at my house in LA, so I have to wait until early Feb to put the bumper on.

Pics:

qDXUGoa.jpg

J3ASz8f.jpg

tIOEFLf.jpg

PG6yxSs.jpg

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to buy a Nexus 4 (in Canada) anywhere outside of the Google Play Store?

I don't mind ordering from any other country as long as it isn't too expensive and it'll work over here.

Ended up with a rather large scratch on my screen today..not sure how, as I'm super careful with it, and it's never with anything rough in my pockets

Now it's going to bug the hell out of me :(

Nicktendo86

Ended up with a rather large scratch on my screen today..not sure how, as I'm super careful with it, and it's never with anything rough in my pockets

Now it's going to bug the hell out of me :(
I thought these bloody things used gorilla ultra tough motherfucker glass but they seem to scratch as soon as you look at it!

Top Bottom