• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

eissan

So I got my replica bumper today ($10 shipped), and the quality is pretty good! I talked to the manufacture and apparently they used the exact same mold as the OEM one, so fitment shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately I can't try the fitment since my sweet Nexus 4 is waiting at my house in LA, so I have to wait until early Feb to put the bumper on.

mind throwing an ebay link up to where you bought it from? would like to get one as well :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ended up with a rather large scratch on my screen today..not sure how, as I'm super careful with it, and it's never with anything rough in my pockets

Now it's going to bug the hell out of me :(

Would those thin plastic screen protectors prevent those types of random scratches? I always told people they don't do anything and make viewing and usability worse, but if my screen were to scratch, I wouldn't be able to ignore it.

I've asked the Mrs to grab me a Poetic bumper off ebay, couple of US sellers have them for about £9.50 delivered to the UK. Worth a punt for a birthday present!

Ended up with a rather large scratch on my screen today..not sure how, as I'm super careful with it, and it's never with anything rough in my pockets

Now it's going to bug the hell out of me :(
Damn that sucks. Any other issues with the phone? You could RMA it with Google and get a new on. I don't know the quality of the refurbs by Google but if they are anything like Apple's then I'd say your good. Somehow I doubt they are of same quality though. But least that'll take care of the scratch for you if it bothers you that much.

I could technically scratch my phone today and RMA it for the buzzing noise I and many others have experienced. I'll probably get a refurb with the same buzzing noise but least the scratch will be gone.

My Nexus has been naked for weeks now. No scratches at all. Wonder what you guys are doing to them.

If you have T Mobile, best rush and order it now.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just came here to drop a big fuck you for Google/LG for miscalculating the demand. My 2009 phone is dying and I needed a new, like, yesterday. Next shipments are slated for (late) Feb and the cheapest 16GB I can find costs $500+? Uh, fuck no.

And now I'm hearing rumors of a new refresh coming soon. Why the fuck do they intend on making my jump to Androids this complicated?

wario

anyone else using the paranoid android rom? the pie navigation's pretty slick. it's basically the quick controls from the stock browser but for the entire OS. nav bar and status bar are hidden so full-screen all day.

untitled-2j1rg9.png

youtube

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
have you considered the Nokia Lumia 920?
Drinky and co have been coercing people to pick it for some time, and now I'm seriously considering it. It's just so unfortunate because when the Nexus 4 was first announced, first thing that came to mind was "this phone was built for me."

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
anyone else using the paranoid android rom? the pie navigation's pretty slick. it's basically the quick controls from the stock browser but for the entire OS. nav bar and status bar are hidden so full-screen all day.

youtube

If it's anything like GMD controls or whatever, there's a major flaw: The Menu button. You never know when an app uses the overflow menu. You just have to guess and hit the Menu pie control to check.

Is that fixed?

wario

If it's anything like GMD controls or whatever, there's a major flaw: The Menu button. You never know when an app uses the overflow menu. You just have to guess and hit the Menu pie control to check.

Is that fixed?

no, it's not fixed. you still have to guess & check. i hope the developers address that in a future update.

Between this and the Kogan pricing, my choice to get one at Christmas for 470 has been vindicated.

What's the bet the Play Store still doesn't receive stock till March

They said stock is incoming 1st week of Feb to play store. Retailers have priced it higher to exploit customers who don't want to wait for play store.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
It might not be on the first of February but we'll see. I don't think they'll be able to match the supply/demand again.

Number45

Not that I can get my hands on one of these, but it's my wife's birthday soon and I'm going to get her a case (with the phone to come when I can get my hands on it). Any recommendations on cases, ideally available in the UK? I'd have gone for a Sena case but they're not available yet, and don't have much of a range yet anyway. :(

Just noticed a scratch on the front. No clue how it happened, since I always have it in my pouch. Ugh. I refuse to put a screen protector on the front panel (I already put one on the back when I noticed a scratch), so I'll just have to live with it. It's not noticeable at all when the phone is on, and barely noticeable when the phone is off. Phones always end up looking like hell eventually, so it's probably best to not freak out.

In a tangentially-related question, how often do you other Nexus folks plan on getting new phones? Like, will you instantly upgrade to the Nexus 4's successor when it comes out, assuming it comes out this November?

If you're on a reasonable prepaid plan around $50 a month, you could still buy a new Nexus phone every year (assuming the next Nexus is at a similar price point) and still be paying less than someone on a 2-year contract. So in that respect, I'd definitely be tempted to upgrade every single year.

kharma45

They said stock is incoming 1st week of Feb to play store. Retailers have priced it higher to exploit customers who don't want to wait for play store.

I have to send my Lumia 920 back as my trial period ends tomorrow, this timing could work out well to use something different for a while.

Remember when people thought this phone would flop due to lack of LTE? Well, I guess you could say it beat expectations. Sunglasses, man fan, etc...

Remember when people thought this phone would flop due to lack of LTE? Well, I guess you could say it beat expectations. Sunglasses, man fan, etc...

The tech media is pretty out-of-touch with the general public.

The lack of LTE is a non-issue for me. I get phenomenal HSPA+ speeds on this thing. It's as fast as I could ever possibly need.

Just noticed a scratch on the front. No clue how it happened, since I always have it in my pouch. Ugh. I refuse to put a screen protector on the front panel (I already put one on the back when I noticed a scratch), so I'll just have to live with it. It's not noticeable at all when the phone is on, and barely noticeable when the phone is off. Phones always end up looking like hell eventually, so it's probably best to not freak out.

In a tangentially-related question, how often do you other Nexus folks plan on getting new phones? Like, will you instantly upgrade to the Nexus 4's successor when it comes out, assuming it comes out this November?

If you're on a reasonable prepaid plan around $50 a month, you could still buy a new Nexus phone every year (assuming the next Nexus is at a similar price point) and still be paying less than someone on a 2-year contract. So in that respect, I'd definitely be tempted to upgrade every single year.

If they continue pricing it at $300, I will likely do annual updates, as long as it is a true Nexus phone.

That rumored Motorola phone sounds like it may not be a true Nexus device. Who knows.

If they continue pricing it at $300, I will likely do annual updates, as long as it is a true Nexus phone.

That rumored Motorola phone sounds like it may not be a true Nexus device. Who knows.

Yeah, the X sounds like it's going to be a mass market, non-Nexus device. I'll probably pass, unless the specs are blow-your-pants-off good.

Since the X will probably be out in just a few months, compared to probably the end of the year for the next Nexus, I'm expecting the Nexus to be the superior device.

buhdeh

...and some of you guys were calling me crazy/treating the phone like crap. Don't know what's wrong with this phone's screen. Is all gorilla glass not created equally?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
no, it's not fixed. you still have to guess & check. i hope the developers address that in a future update.
Damn. Not worth it then, yet.

...and some of you guys were calling me crazy/treating the phone like crap. Don't know what's wrong with this phone's screen. Is all gorilla glass not created equally?

Yep. It sucks. Never had a phone screen scratch, ever, in over a decade of smartphone ownership and tablets. Except the N4. It is shit.

As for upgrading, depends. I didn't upgrade from the N1 to the NS because that was a crappy upgrade. But if there are good, worthwhile updates to the Nexus phone, I can see myself upgrading yearly for $300. Again, only if worth it. I'll probably upgrade my N4 if the next phone has a great camera and a 1080P screen. That's all.

Top Bottom