• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

kharma45

...and some of you guys were calling me crazy/treating the phone like crap. Don't know what's wrong with this phone's screen. Is all gorilla glass not created equally?

I've had two Gorilla Glass phones, one the original the other GG2 and both have scratched even with me taking good care of them.

buhdeh

I had a 4S before this that I would lay front-side down on tables sometimes and nothing happened to it. With the N4, I'm worried about the screen even coming into contact with the button on my jacket pocket when I take it out/put it away.

My N4 fell of my kitchen counter earlier, fell about 4 foot onto laminate flooring.

No damage luckily, other than the several seconds that my heart stopped beating, but I can't wait for my bumper case to get here.

One can only hope that Corning made some significant improvements with Gorilla Glass 3.

And God willing, the next Nexus phone will have it instead of 2.

And I don't consider this unique to the Nexus 4. I know several other people who have had scratches on GG2 phones.

WoodWERD

What do y'all think of Nova launcher? And get a front/back crystal screen protector for your phone at the least...jeebus, it's like $15 and barely noticeable.

exYle

What do y'all think of Nova launcher? And get a front/back crystal screen protector for your phone at the least...jeebus, it's like $15 and barely noticeable.

I like it. The first Android device I ever used since I got my iPhone had the Cube app page switcher, which I really liked. When I discovered that this was a default on some devices but not all, I immediately looked for a Launcher that had it. I also have a different app closing/opening animation.

I don't use it much for function, though.

Did any of you not watch that scratch test video? Its not keys or laying it on a table or the wind scratching your phones. Its small grains of sand and dirt. On your fingers, in your pockets, etc.

And clean with a microfiber cloth only. Make sure the cloth is always clean as well. I usually blow any dust or dirt off my screen first, dab a corner of the microfiber cloth with water and then clean the phone with the wet side and buff out any wet streaks with the dry part. My phone is flawless but one spec of sand in my pocket can do the damage. Can't really avoid it unless you get a screen/back protector.

Hieberrr

Really? Even on 2.3 I managed 100+ in a minute.
Yeah, it's some weird anti text bomb/malware protection thing.

wifi or just write longer messages. lol
We're barely home, so wifi is a no-go. Longer messages don't work either since they get broken down into single sms messages.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
LLShC.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Do SMS app replacements still have that limit? Does CM10.1 have that limit? I thought I saw an option to adjust it.

My Poetic bumper arrived yesterday. I popped it on and it looks pretty nice.

I've decided to stop freaking out about scratches. In all likelihood, I'm going to replace this baby by the end of the year anyway, so it's not really worth getting worked up over.

So my nexus 4 is broken. Let my gf borrow it cause her phone is broke, she left it at work, some manager piled a bunch of cash drawers on it and the screen is cracked and the sensor no longer works. Cannot input anything via touch screen :( They said they will write me out a corporate check for the money but still doesn't help the fact they are forever sold out.

So my nexus 4 is broken. Let my gf borrow it cause her phone is broke, she left it at work, some manager piled a bunch of cash drawers on it and the screen is cracked and the sensor no longer works. Cannot input anything via touch screen :( They said they will write me out a corporate check for the money but still doesn't help the fact they are forever sold out.
Id be pissed too, but the fact they are paying would ease me a bit. Make thrm pay you the maximum anyone is charging and pocket the extra. Lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Ask for a replacement. Not a check.

So I just called Google. My bumper case has cracked on the bottom on the plastic piece under the USB space. Bumper has 1 year warranty and they said they'll do an exchange for it. And for a $20 piece of plastic and rubber, I'm glad they're doing it.

I also mentioned the actual phone has that buzzing in the earpiece and they said they'd replace that too. But I don't know if it is worth he hassle of setting everything up again since it is a common issue across devices. I really don't see how that can't be a hardware fix.

Bboy AJ

I just left a Saturn store here in Germany. There are a million Nexus 4 phones

The whole crate is full of them.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
16GB? Then that's 50€ on top of the Play Store price.
100€ if those are 8GB models.

16GB, those are the only one sold in german retail. And yeah, it's 50€ more, but at least it's available. And you can just visit your store for replacements if something happens to it, which might be a huge deal for some people.

Bboy AJ

HDR on this phone is shit. It works WAY too slow to be useful for anything other than absolute still shots. The iPhone doesn't have this issue when shooting HDR.

What a downgrade in camera quality from my Note 1. And that's like a two year old sensor.

Valygar

I'm just going to have her ask to get extra money since it's only available on ebay, cl etc now.

Just phone LG, they will repair your phone. I broke my screen accidentally, and it costed 150€ in Spain. No problem at all, leaving the high price...

I would do that, it will be fast (1-2 weeks) and cheap.

Just phone LG, they will repair your phone. I broke my screen accidentally, and it costed 150€ in Spain. No problem at all, leaving the high price...

I would do that, it will be fast (1-2 weeks) and cheap.

If I can get the $500 I'd rather that. Would be quicker to just get the money and get something off ebay/cl etc than wait on LG US to fix it. Will post back when I find out more (shes at work atm).

Hieberrr

Sen²;46924587 said:
That sounds like it could be really annoying if you're not on a data plan. Have you considered flashing a custom rom? As far as I know, most have removed the limit.

According to this ( http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/23459/ ) CM is one of the custom roms that have removed it.
I've considered it, but CM seems to have too many issues right now. FCs, certain apps not working 100%, etc... I'm waiting for a stable release before I commit.

Bboy AJ

I've considered it, but CM seems to have too many issues right now. FCs, certain apps not working 100%, etc... I'm waiting for a stable release before I commit.

I've been using CM on my N4 since, well, since it's been turned on. It's fine.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The text limit thing just popped up for my gf. I'm officially done with the Nexus 4. Biggest disappointment of 2012. Shitty Jelly Bean is shitty.

zbeeb

The text limit thing just popped up for my gf. I'm officially done with the Nexus 4. Biggest disappointment of 2012. Shitty Jelly Bean is shitty.

I don't know if this is my custom ROM or not, but my security settings has an option to change the text message limit.. Might be worth a shot.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I don't know if this is my custom ROM or not, but my security settings has an option to change the text message limit.. Might be worth a shot.

Thanks. I think it's a baked in stock 4.2 issue. Only way to get rid of it is root/flash. Pretty sure it's not a setting but I'll take another look when I get a chance.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Why there's limit? First time I've heard of it.

edit: oh, it's a warning...

Bboy AJ

What an overreaction.

Data and Wifi = working?

I've been reading reports about broken photosphere, increased data usage by Android, etc...

Yes, everything works.

Top Bottom