• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

3phemeral

Is there any way to leave wifi on, but turn off the automatic attempts to connect to any unsecured network?

I don't think it actually connects, does it? I'm sure it just notifies you that a network is available. I've never had any of my phones autoconnect to a network I haven't already connected to. Did you connect to it before but no longer want to connect to it now? If so, then delete it from your wifi list.

hitsugi

I don't think it actually connects, does it? I'm sure it just notifies you that a network is available. I've never had any of my phones autoconnect to a network I haven't already connected to. Did you connect to it before but no longer want to connect to it now? If so, then delete it from your wifi list.

If it's not secure or a hotspot, it'll switch to it.

Anyone else having problems with activating Bluetooth on your phones ? I keep pressing on the ON/OFF switch and it turns on for one second and then quickly switches back to off.

There should be a way to disable notifications about open networks. But I'm pretty confident that you previously would have had to explicitly joined that network before it connecting automatically.

If you don't want it connecting to a network you have previously connected to, the only recourse would be to delete that particular network's information.

SimleuqiR

Anyone else having problems with activating Bluetooth on your phones ? I keep pressing on the ON/OFF switch and it turns on for one second and then quickly switches back to off.

There is definitely a bug or two with Bluetooth on this phone. I get that same issue.
The only way to fix it is to reboot the damn thing.

Oh bummer. Got my first scratch. It's on the back next to the camera. My phone dropped and hit the corner of a drawer in my dresser. Thankfully not on the front, but I guess I'm convinced to buy a screen protector.

Not that noticeable, but a scratch is a scratch. Boooo.

Leucrota

So are there screen protectors that are approximately as smooth as the screen itself, as I would like to protect my investment but still have the ability to use Swype?

3phemeral

This must be an N4-only thing, because none of my android devices, droid 2, galaxy s2/3, galaxy note, galaxy nexus, tf101, nor the n7 my parents own have ever done that in either stock or custom ROM. Or maybe it's a 4.2 thing.

There is definitely a bug or two with Bluetooth on this phone. I get that same issue.
The only way to fix it is to reboot the damn thing.

Have you tried to give it a few seconds before switching it back. A software on/off switch can take a bit of time to kill the wifi or btooth process.

The phone is apparently available on the Google Play store in Germany right now. There are signs pointing to it being available today in other places as well. Get ready if you were looking to get one.

Ok. According to Marc Baumann, the Nexus 4 will back to stock in other countries to follow Germany(it is in-stock right now there). US in 3 hours and Canada in 4 hours. (i.e. 9am/10am pacific time)

giga

How does that compare to iOS? Pretty similar isn't it?

My wife won't need anything other than space for some pictures and the FB app anyway.
Yes. But twice the storage for 50 more seems like a good investment after racking up photos, videos, and apps.

Talon

How does that compare to iOS? Pretty similar isn't it?

My wife won't need anything other than space for some pictures and the FB app anyway.
? iPhones start at 16 GB with the exception of a few carriers that carry a 8 GB iPhone 4.

$50 for 8 more GB is prudent.

Number45

? iPhones start at 16 GB with the exception of a few carriers that carry a 8 GB iPhone 4.

$50 for 8 more GB is prudent.
I meant the loss in space for the OS rather than the total amount of usable.

Not a problem either way, as I said my wife won't need the space and she's already mortified that I'm spending that much money on her (we're not poor, she's "frugal").

3phemeral

basically if it doesn't require a password, it'll connect if WiFi is on.
Have you tried long-pressing it and selecting "Forget Network"? I've never heard of that. The only thing I can think of is I connected to a Starbucks wifi once, and every time I would get close to any Starbucks, it would connect to their network because it had the same SSID, regardless if it were unsecured or not.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Just bought a 16 GB model and bumper in the US. It only took forever, but I'm glad they're finally available.

Top Bottom