• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Finally ordered the phone and a bumper yesterday.

Any screen protector recommendations? I'm thinking I might pick up an actual case too if the bumper doesn't work out.

Rengoku

Finally ordered the phone and a bumper yesterday.

Any screen protector recommendations? I'm thinking I might pick up an actual case too if the bumper doesn't work out.

Bestskinsever protectors are great. I have it on my phone. They're wet-application skins, so they actually cover the curved edges unlike the dry-application skins like SGP. They also have very little orange peel (significantly better than the Zagg shields).

As for cases, I have my eyes on the Ringke Fusion case. It's supposed to be pretty thin like the Ringke Rearth SLIM, but its also a hybrid case that shows off the Nexus 4's back:

fusion_nexus4_amazon_thum_011%281%29.jpg

Bestskinsever protectors are great. I have it on my phone. They're wet-application skins, so they actually cover the curved edges unlike the dry-application skins like SGP. They also have very little orange peel (significantly better than the Zagg shields).

As for cases, I have my eyes on the Ringke Fusion case. It's supposed to be pretty thin like the Ringke Rearth SLIM, but its also a hybrid case that shows off the Nexus 4's back:

Wet application protectors always have unnerved me. It feels counter intuitive to cover my electronic device in liquid. I know they are fairly prolific these days but it's still odd. Maybe it's time to give one a shot. I noticed there doesn't seem to be a lot of dry ones for it.

That case is gorgeous. That is exactly what I am looking for.

jenov4

Wet application protectors always have unnerved me. It feels counter intuitive to cover my electronic device in liquid. I know they are fairly prolific these days but it's still odd. Maybe it's time to give one a shot. I noticed there doesn't seem to be a lot of dry ones for it.

I used to have the same mentality regarding these wet applicators. I tried one out (Bestskinsever) and can't go back now. You really don't use a lot of water/detergent mix anyways and it's unlikely you'll water damage the phone. It's just a light spray, but the skin is so much better than the dry ones I've used.

Number45

I accidentally linked the device to my Google account. I assume I can move it to another account when it arrives? It's for my wife, but I was in a hurry.

abunai

I accidentally linked the device to my Google account. I assume I can move it to another account when it arrives? It's for my wife, but I was in a hurry.

You can just sign out when you get the phone. All the linking does is save you from entering your google details on first boot.

Mr. Robot

Well, fuck me! i wanted to get a Nexus 4 for my GF but since it was oos for so long i pulled the trigger on a SIII mini this monday, and it already shipped...
Guess i will get one and switch phones with her, my current phone is an ancient pos.

Bought today. Had a Windows Phone for a while. Currently got an iPhone 4. I wanted to upgrade to a Lumia 920 but availability/pricing in the UK is a joke so I figured I'd return to Android for a while, see how I find it. My last Android device was an HTC Hero so I'm excited to see how far the OS has come. iOS bored me to death (plus I have an iPad for the apps).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, fuck me! i wanted to get a Nexus 4 for my GF but since it was oos for so long i pulled the trigger on a SIII mini this monday, and it already shipped...
Guess i will get one and switch phones with her, my current phone is an ancient pos.

Return it. S3 mini, wow.

Alright so I read somewhere that you can get the Nexus 4 by getting a US address from a courier and they will ship it for you but do you need a US credit card?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

others have said it, but the mini is terrible value.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Can't wait to set up the Display Port to HDMI, pair two Dualshock 3s and run a N64 emulator to play WWF No Mercy on this thing.

Are the people struggling to buy one only off contract, or is it scarce everywhere? I decided to upgrade today on a whim, decided on the Nexus 4 and it was in stock. Was I simply lucky?

tirant

I ordered one as well! :)

I think I'm going to return the Nexus 10 (worse wifi reception ever) and use the money for the nexus 4.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What's the consensus on the quality of the official bumper?

Is there a more practical and sleeker bumper?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
What's the consensus on the quality of the official bumper?

Is there a more practical and sleeker bumper?

Official bumper is good. Still slippery. Might as well get the Poetic bumper. I'm waiting for the Rearth Fusion case. Until then I'll stick with my $1.75 TPU S-Line case from eBay.

exYle

God dammit, I just got my Ringke Slim case

LJ11

Put an order in yesterday. Is it true that the phone runs warm? I've read about battery issues as well, screen as well and Ihad issues with LG screens in the past. True, false, or exagerations?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Put an order in yesterday. Is it true that the phone runs warm? I've read about battery issues as well, screen as well and Ihad issues with LG screens in the past. True, false, or exagerations?

It tends to get a little warm.

No screen issues on my gfs Dec 3rd N4 and I never had issues with my econo-tier LG Optimus One.

Managed 5hours and 6 minutes of screen time on heavy wifi use on the N4. Most uses were over 4 hours with auto location reporting off. Worst battery gf got was 3 hours on constant Reddit, email push, YouTube. The battery is decent and can be improved with the Franco Kernal. For now mine and hers will remain stock in hopes of a OS update to fix the "issue". It all depends on what you're doing with your phone.

Some compromises must be had given the hardware vs price ratio. The Optimus G has superior power management that the N4 doesn't have.

I must admit that it sometimes get really hot on the back. Usually when gaming for long periods.

nomis

Just ordered an 8gb. $340CAN with tax and shipping somehow feels like a much better impulse buy than nearly $400. I don't want to play 3D games with crazy huge assets, and I have a 16gb iPod nano. Checked on some app sizes, and I'm pretty sure downloading Netflix and Flipbook is still gonna leave me with plenty of room for max resolution photos and photospheres.

Top Bottom