• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Husker86

Fucking BS. Nexus 4 is sitting at home on my porch and I just read online that Straight Talk has removed the ability to buy AT&T SIM cards...god dammit.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Fucking BS. Nexus 4 is sitting at home on my porch and I just read online that Straight Talk has removed the ability to buy AT&T SIM cards...god dammit.
Really? It was in my hand last week, and decided not to at the very last minute lol.

Husker86

Really? It was in my hand last week, and decided not to at the very last minute lol.

They are still on the Walmart website (but no the ST website), however the last 4 orders I've placed had "errors" and were cancelled. Just tried another time and haven't gotten an error email yet.

They carry the SIM cards at your local Walmart? I heard they don't but I might check a few of mine out.

edit: Got error again, order cancelled. :(

edit2: Ordered a SIM card alone from walmart.com without the bundled $45 refill card and it looks to be working.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Phone in hand. I'm so pumped. Quick questions though: Is the screen film that comes with it good enough until I get my order next week?

WEGGLES

Ordered mine day it was back in stock but it hasn't shipped yet while other peoples has. Is it related to syncing my account to the device at checkout?

Husker86

Ordered mine day it was back in stock but it hasn't shipped yet while other peoples has. Is it related to syncing my account to the device at checkout?
I said to link mine and it must have shipped hours after I ordered. Linking didn't do anything though, must be because I didn't have a SIM in.

whoa 0_o that was insanely fast 0_o

ordered tuesday night at about 10 pm and didn't get a delivery confirmation or anything and it arrived today in the morning.

first thoughts i had before i took a nap were this, its so huge and awesome that i can't go back to iphone :p everything is great so far.

hey how do i perma delete an app? i see google + and i dont even use that anymore and it came pre installed

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
whoa 0_o that was insanely fast 0_o

ordered tuesday night at about 10 pm and didn't get a delivery confirmation or anything and it arrived today in the morning.

first thoughts i had before i took a nap were this, its so huge and awesome that i can't go back to iphone :p everything is great so far.

hey how do i perma delete an app? i see google + and i dont even use that anymore and it came pre installed

Totally agree about the size. My body wasn't ready at first but it makes browsing and typing so much better.

Pretty sure you can't delete Google apps without Root. You can disable it in Settings->Apps.

Both.

But knowing that the default film is that decent is good news! Thanks.
This is a weird topic to talk about since everyone always takes those films off the second they unbox the phone but the nexus has the best default protective film I've ever seen on a device lol.

The back one is incredible minus the IMEI sticker attatched. It's cut perfectly you can barely get your nails under to peel it off. I think you'll be fine with it for a week no doubt.

Mine started showing scratches after about a month (the film not the screen) so I just took it off. From now on I'm going to keep those films on until the honeymoon period of having a new phone is over after a month or so when I'm not so anal anymore about scratches.

exYle

This is a weird topic to talk about since everyone always takes those films off the second they unbox the phone but the nexus has the best default protective film I've ever seen on a device lol.

The back one is incredible minus the IMEI sticker attatched. It's cut perfectly you can barely get your nails under to peel it off. I think you'll be fine with it for a week no doubt.

Mine started showing scratches after about a month (the film not the screen) so I just took it off. From now on I'm going to keep those films on until the honeymoon period of having a new phone is over after a month or so when I'm not so anal anymore about scratches.

My back film unfortunately peeled off in my pocket. Got a case to replace it real quick.

Husker86

Pulled both those damn films off the second I took it out of the box!

Not having a SIM card for this is making me sad...I really want to use this as my phone. Think I'm gonna have to wait until Wednesday before the SIM arrives.

ReconPeon

Is the back glass on anyone else's phone raised just slightly above the bezel? Like when you run your finger from the plastic bezel onto the glass it feels like running your finger over a sheet of paper on a desk. It isn't a huge concern, but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be 100 percent flush all of the way around. End of OCD question.

Emwitus

Holy crap! Wrong thread again. lol. On topic, seems like these phones are now in market. Been on play for a day or two now without going out of stock.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm a little bit overwhelmed right, there are many things I like, few baffling things (mostly with rendering and performance)... But overall, I'm glad I jumped ships.

One thing I'd like to ask about, since I really don't now where to start, is a good and reliable resource that could provide with the best apps, widgets, and tweaks. Basically whatever will help e get the most out of it in ways my previous iDevices wouldn't allow.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
As for cases, I have my eyes on the Ringke Fusion case. It's supposed to be pretty thin like the Ringke Rearth SLIM, but its also a hybrid case that shows off the Nexus 4's back:

fusion_nexus4_amazon_thum_011%281%29.jpg

This is the case I've been dreaming of. It's about time somebody made one with a transparent back.

PaulLFC

Bestskinsever protectors are great. I have it on my phone. They're wet-application skins, so they actually cover the curved edges unlike the dry-application skins like SGP. They also have very little orange peel (significantly better than the Zagg shields).

As for cases, I have my eyes on the Ringke Fusion case. It's supposed to be pretty thin like the Ringke Rearth SLIM, but its also a hybrid case that shows off the Nexus 4's back:

fusion_nexus4_amazon_thum_011%281%29.jpg
This is an awesome case. I can't seem to find anywhere that'll be selling it in the UK though, does anyone know anywhere that does?

Woot, mine arrived this morning after ordering it at 15:06 Wednesday. Very impressed as they said 1 to 2 weeks.

Now I need to learn where everything is.

Gmail and Exchange setup and Gmail has the tags that is very nice.

sholmes

Neo Member
Ordered mine Tuesday at 4:30pm EST. Last night (this morning) at 2:00am, my account status on the Google Play store said my estimated shipping date was 2/13. Fast forward 6.5 hours and it now says February 1. I assume that means it was shipped on 2/1, but I'll hope for the best since others are getting surprise deliveries.

PaulLFC

I asked MobileFun (pretty large retailer of mobile accessories over here) on Twitter if they'll be stocking the Ringke Fusion case, their reply:

@Paul_LFC That case looks great - we'll definitely be listing it :) Thanks!

Now just to wait...

Rengoku

This is an awesome case. I can't seem to find anywhere that'll be selling it in the UK though, does anyone know anywhere that does?

Rearth, the manufacturer has an Amazon.com store. That fusion case in particular isn't on there yet, but when they start selling it, it'll be on both the official site and the amazon store. Their amazon store does ship internationally - you have to click on the "more buying choices" link to get to it.

Darkwater

I'm interested in getting one now, but I'd need a package forwarding service from the UK to the Netherlands. Does anyone have any recommendations?

PaulLFC

I never rooted my S2 but with the Nexus being a stock phone, is it easy and safe to do? Does it affect the warranty at all?

Is there any risk of bricking the phone, or is it like the iPhone where you can just reinstall the firmware if it "breaks"?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Glad US Gaf finally gets a hold of these things. Have fun with them, they deserve it!

PaulLFC

I wish the front screen protector didn't have symbols on it, it'd be perfect for leaving on otherwise.

Anyone know any good screen protectors for it?

NeoRausch

so, when I listen to podcast (Volksempfanger) or music (Google) I get ÑO notification at all? no ringtone, no beep, no vibration. did I miss something?

Top Bottom