• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Somehow downgrading from 4.2.2 to 4.2.1 made it so that I can hear what my caller is saying and they can hear me too. Am I the only one with this problem?

I just donated to SkipSoft

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Somehow downgrading from 4.2.2 to 4.2.1 made it so that I can hear what my caller is saying and they can hear me too. Am I the only one with this problem?

I just donated to SkipSoft

That's really weird. Never had that issue and god knows I've had every one imaginable.

Asimov

Banned
For anyone who wants to order a Nexus 4 from Google Play but is worried about the shipping time (it says on the site that it will ship in 2 weeks), just order it.

I placed the order yesterday at 6:00 p.m. (Central Time) and I just received an e-mail from Google saying that my order has shipped.

So I bought and received Ringke Fusion Premium Hybrid Hard Case as per GAF's recommendation.

The fact that I don't have any tactile feel for the buttons makes this one of the worst cases I've ever seen.

How are the buttons for the official bumpers sold via Google's website?

Asimov

Banned
So I bought and received Ringke Fusion Premium Hybrid Hard Case as per GAF's recommendation.

The fact that I don't have any tactile feel for the buttons makes this one of the worst cases I've ever seen.

I have learnt the lesson the hard way: never trust GAF's hype. Never.

*Stares at the Skyfall Blu-ray in the corner.

TheFatOne

I just put in an order for the 8GB Nexus 4. I can't wait to get this phone. It's going to be a massive upgrade over my Optimus V from Virgin Mobile. I already have the Ringke Fusion case now I just need to wait.

Edit: What screen protector would you guys recommend?

I'm finally making the jump to smartphone, and I have my eyes set on the Nexus for my first one. I've heard rumors the Nexus 5 might possibly be on the horizon in May and that it might actually be the same price as the current models as well.

Do you guys think that's true? Would it be wise waiting it out a couple more months? I'm getting really itchy to get one, so staving off the temptation is tough.

I ordered one as well, 26 bucks shipped to AU :(

But I did it knowing that the buttons are lacking the tactile feel. It isn't something that is going to bother me a lot. Bumper buttons, from what I've heard, have better feel than the original buttons on the phone.

Asimov

Banned
Don't you guys like your phones naked?

It has a nice Gorilla Glass 2 in the front. Besides, by the time the phone is in bad shape, it's time to upgrade to a better phone.

Talon

Don't you guys like your phones naked?

It has a nice Gorilla Glass 2 in the front. Besides, by the time the phone is in bad shape, it's time to upgrade to a better phone.
I never wound up getting a Nexus 4 (because Google randomly cancelled my December order after my third attempt), but I feel like I've heard or read about the edge losing its luster after just regular usage.

Talon

Screen Protectors are for children unless you're using a cheapo phone, but that plastic screen is going to get scratched no matter what you do.

cheesetom

Developed a scratch on the middle of the screen. I can't see it when the screen is on, though I'm pretty bummed.

The Ringke Slim on the back is scratched up to hell too. Money well spent.

So I could get a (new) Nexus 4 for 150€ (maybe less) to replace my Nexus S - which is 2 years old and started to get a very visible yellow tint on the upper screen edges. I had it "fixed" for 4 times - got a "new" one and that still showed that problem after a few month. So I am not so keen on another Samsung phone.

I only read through a couple of pages so far but what would the posters here recommend? The Galaxy Nexus would come to 50€ (or less) but it is much older and from Samsung. I don't mind much about speed, camera quality but battery lifetime and build quality do matter to me.

So I could get a (new) Nexus 4 for 150€ (maybe less) to replace my Nexus S - which is 2 years old and started to get a very visible yellow tint on the upper screen edges. I had it "fixed" for 4 times - got a "new" one and that still showed that problem after a few month. So I am not so keen on another Samsung phone.

I only read through a couple of pages so far but what would the posters here recommend? The Galaxy Nexus would come to 50€ (or less) but it is much older and from Samsung. I don't mind much about speed, camera quality but battery lifetime and build quality do matter to me.

get the Nexus 4

Asimov

Banned
I'm getting 3 Nexus 4, one each week.

One from me, one from wife and one from my mom. I hope it's worth it. That's $900+ taxes.

D:

I got a Ringke Slim hard case for mine. The buttons are exposed so there's no issue there, but I'm looking at the case and it's so damn thin (duh right?). I really have to wonder what possible protection it can provide to the phone other than keeping scratches off the back glass.

I ordered one as well, 26 bucks shipped to AU :(

But I did it knowing that the buttons are lacking the tactile feel. It isn't something that is going to bother me a lot. Bumper buttons, from what I've heard, have better feel than the original buttons on the phone.

It gets pretty annoying at times. You don't even know if you locked the phone or if the phone is off or not responding. The phone has crashed on me a few times and not knowing whether you are rebooting it or not is annoying. I may cut it open...

WoodWERD

I really don't understand the hate for screen protectors. I got my official bumper last night and I've been rocking only the Steinheil ultra crystal front/back protectors on mine since December. Once the next big thing comes out, I take the screen protectors off and sell a mint-condition phone to the highest bidder. Why take chances with scratches on these things?

For those asking about the stock bumper, I think it's perfect and I usually keep my phones naked. It's very well made, fits the phone perfectly, and provides better feel to the buttons (imo). My power button was starting to get a little more clicky, but the bumper resolved that. I think it's been said before, but it does feel a little slipperier initially, but it's fine once you get used to the new feel. It also resolves the muted speaker when setting the phone on a flat surface.

Asimov

Banned
I really don't understand the hate for screen protectors. I got my official bumper last night and I've been rocking only the Steinheil ultra crystal front/back protectors on mine since December. Once the next big thing comes out, I take the screen protectors off and sell a mint-condition phone to the highest bidder. Why take chances with scratches on these things?

For those asking about the stock bumper, I think it's perfect and I usually keep my phones naked. It's very well made, fits the phone perfectly, and provides better feel to the buttons (imo). My power button was starting to get a little more clicky, but the bumper resolved that. I think it's been said before, but it does feel a little slipperier initially, but it's fine once you get used to the new feel. It also resolves the muted speaker when setting the phone on a flat surface.

Why would you need a screen protector? It has Gorilla Glass 2. Heck, I have a phone from 2010 with Gorilla Glass 1 and the screen is 80% new.

Shambles

Why would you need a screen protector? It has Gorilla Glass 2. Heck, I have a phone from 2010 with Gorilla Glass 1 and the screen is 80% new.

You don't need one. In fact it's going to make swype'ing harder if you use one on the front. I have a protector on the back mostly just to make it less slippery than anything. After 3 months the front of my phone is still in perfect mint condition. No case, no protector, no anal babying of the phone.

.GqueB.

Banned
Screen Protectors are for children unless you're using a cheapo phone, but that plastic screen is going to get scratched no matter what you do.

Agreed. I never understand why people buy them. I see people with screen protectors covered in scratches that wouldn't even be there otherwise (unless pocket sand). It's bizarre.

WoodWERD

Yet there are dozens of people complaining about scratches in this thread. Whatever, it's personal preference, but saying that it impacts swiping is totally false in my experience.

maharg

idspispopd
I think it's been said before, but it does feel a little slipperier initially, but it's fine once you get used to the new feel. It also resolves the muted speaker when setting the phone on a flat surface.

The bumper makes it *more* slippery? Wtf.

Okay so my phone has been charging for an hour and is stuck at or around 10%. I restarted it still seems to be stuck and not charging. I unplug charger and I get the low battery pop up. So, it isn't charging but says it is. The battery % is so wonky on this phone. Going from 14% to dead in 5 minutes. Losing or gaining % rapidly. Its seriously horrible and I don't know if I need to RMA or android/nexus just sucks at accurately measuring the battery life on this phone. For the record, I am using the phone while charging but only on mobile gaf and twitter. I realize the phone would charge slower in that case but not charging at all isn't normal.

NysGAF

Mine arrived today and I had a distraction-filled day at work messing around with my first non-iOS phone. Things are 5 star so far. I'm glad I didn't get the Note 2 as the screen on this one is plenty big for my small hands. And I'm sure the GS4 will be super, but I don't want anything other than the vanilla OS and I love the feeling of no contract! Too bad my T-Mobile SIM didn't arrive today too. I'm still walking around without cell service but I've got plenty to keep me distracted.

Husker86

Franco kernel "recommended" color settings makes this screen's colors look even deeper/more vibrant than my Galaxy Nexus. For some reason I've always had bad luck with Franco kernels, but I hope I can stick with it because the color correction alone is damn sexy.

sant

They aren't going to drop a Nexus phone at I/O. It'll probably be the Motorola X phone and a refreshed Nexus 7.

leadbelly

Banned
N4 was withing weeks of I/o remember, but availability was the problem.

No it wasn't. I/O was in June. The Nexus 4 was released in November. It wasn't announced at I/O.

With that said, I have a feeling it will be released early, but May seems too soon. I think a summer release is very possible though.

kehs

Banned
No it wasn't. I/O was in June. The Nexus 4 was released in November. It wasn't announced at I/O.

With that said, I have a feeling it will be released early, but May seems too soon. I think a summer release is very possible though.

It wasn't? What did they announce at I/o then?

Oh yea they're announcement got killed cause of the hurricane. Oops.

Top Bottom