• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

So I liked Android coming off of an iphone but felt the build quality on this phone was atrocious compared to what I got from Apple.

I also found the downgrade from lte to HSPA was quite a bit more brutal than I expected.

So I sent the Nexus4 packing. Grabbed a Note 2 and couldn't be happier. This thing puts the iphone to shame.

I hope Google goes with a company other than LG for any future devices.

Husker86

So I liked Android coming off of an iphone but felt the build quality on this phone was atrocious compared to what I got from Apple.

I also found the downgrade from lte to HSPA was quite a bit more brutal than I expected.

So I sent the Nexus4 packing. Grabbed a Note 2 and couldn't be happier. This thing puts the iphone to shame.

I hope Google goes with a company other than LG for any future devices.

You found the build quality of the Note 2 better than the Nexus 4? I had an iPhone 5 for a bit before I went back to Android and the Nexus 4 is the most "premium" Android phone I've used to date (history of Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, HTC Thunderbolt/EVO/Hero). The non-plasticy design is a first for me with Android phones.

Unless you meant sporadic problems like volume rocker squeakiness I hear about from others on here.

Yup, I personally find the Note 2 to be a more solidly constructed device. No rattling noises, constantly loosening back plate.

I actually like the rear plastic cover as its easily replaceable.

The Nexus 4 turned me on to Android for sure but its not something that could've been my daily device.

Based on some of the complaints here I'm not the only person taking the build quality to task. I think Google should go in house like they did with Chromebook Pixel. Thats a beautifully solid piece of kit.

You found the build quality of the Note 2 better than the Nexus 4? I had an iPhone 5 for a bit before I went back to Android and the Nexus 4 is the most "premium" Android phone I've used to date (history of Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, HTC Thunderbolt/EVO/Hero). The non-plasticy design is a first for me with Android phones.

Unless you meant sporadic problems like volume rocker squeakiness I hear about from others on here.

I'm still using the phone with the factory screen protectors that it was shipped with. I kind of like the the power and volume up-down signs on the front screen guard.

kehs

Banned
I'm still using the phone with the factory screen protectors that it was shipped with. I kind of like the the power and volume up-down signs on the front screen guard.

Haha, that's what annoyed me enough to take the protector off.

speaking of which, can someone link me to a root guide?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
All this talk about the next Nexus being in May... No chance. Why? What would it improve? Nothing special.

The X Phone will be the main phone device. I suspect the Nexus 7 will be updated.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
All this talk about the next Nexus being in May... No chance. Why? What would it improve? Nothing special.

The X Phone will be the main phone device. I suspect the Nexus 7 will be updated.

Build quality:p

I think it's way too early to announce it. Maybe improved/bigger battery?

Well I finally RMA'd my phone after dealing with battery issues basically since launch. I always dealt with not so great battery life and concerning rapid drops in battery % but I kinda just toughed it out because I didn't want to RMA. Now with my charger sometimes not even charging the phone I had to get a replacement.

Very easy process. No where near how long it takes with Apple and all their diagnostic shit they do over the phone.

Google didn't ask for my credit card info or anything. So are they trusting me to return the old phone or what? Apple would put a hold on my credit card. I don't have a card on my Google Play account at the moment. And I asked the guy and he said its not a refurb and Google doesn't have refurbs. True or not? If the refurb is apple quality then I do not care, but a refurb from LG and I'd have major concerns.

Bonus is the buzzing I've had since launch as well (never bothered me) and maybe I'll get one that doesn't buzz.

Edit: nvm about the payment. They sent me an email with instructions to issue a credit card hold.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Well I finally RMA'd my phone after dealing with battery issues basically since launch. I always dealt with not so great battery life and concerning rapid drops in battery % but I kinda just toughed it out because I didn't want to RMA. Now with my charger sometimes not even charging the phone I had to get a replacement.

Very easy process. No where near how long it takes with Apple and all their diagnostic shit they do over the phone.

Google didn't ask for my credit card info or anything. So are they trusting me to return the old phone or what? Apple would put a hold on my credit card. I don't have a card on my Google Play account at the moment. And I asked the guy and he said its not a refurb and Google doesn't have refurbs. True or not? If the refurb is apple quality then I do not care, but a refurb from LG and I'd have major concerns.

Bonus is the buzzing I've had since launch as well (never bothered me) and maybe I'll get one that doesn't buzz.

Edit: nvm about the payment. They sent me an email with instructions to issue a credit card hold.

You're going to get a brand new N4 and not a refurb.

mackattk

Finally took time out of the day and upgraded to a 4.2.2 rom.

Quick question, is there any type of app that can add more quick settings to the taskbar? I would love to add an autorotate toggle, since I prefer that to be off 99% of the time.

I couldn't be more happy - I am going to get my Nexus 4 today. Best thing is I will pay 49€ for it instead of 149€ to renew my contract. I guess I am regarded as a very loyal customer - even though I pay only 16€/month :)

Nicktendo86

Finally took time out of the day and upgraded to a 4.2.2 rom.

Quick question, is there any type of app that can add more quick settings to the taskbar? I would love to add an autorotate toggle, since I prefer that to be off 99% of the time.
Cm10.1 has that feature built in

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Got my phone over the weekend. Quite nice and is blazing fast - has run everything I've thrown at it flawlessly. My only gripes are some UI issues (that should be mostly solved by changing the rom), noticably worse battery life when compared to my old phone (probably partly because I use it more than the old one), and the fact that the naked phone is slippery as fuck thanks to glass on both sides.

That slipperiness and the stories of broken glass backs has made me super paranoid about my phone, so I just got this case for it: http://nexus4accessories.com/acase-superleggera-pro-nexus-4-case/

Hopefully that'll help give some peace of mind.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Guys! I think it's finally happened!

Nexus 4 number 5 is perfect! Holy shit! I can't believe that it might be true. No more weekly replacements!

So far I had my Nexus 4 for 2 hours - no problems so far (knock on wood). I just wanted to check what revision I have but it seems I can't get into the boot menu with Power + Volume UP/Down. Did anything change in that departement or is there another way to check the revision?

Welp after my gf broke my n4 I picked up a s3 the other day for $350. Only one month old and came with everything + some cases. Can't complain although I'm no longer in club nexus :( Admittedly, I do like the s3 better though. Expandable storage, better screen and sounds etc etc. First thing I did was get rid of awful touchwiz and got stock JB on there via cyanogenmod.

Talon

Welp after my gf broke my n4 I picked up a s3 the other day for $350. Only one month old and came with everything + some cases. Can't complain although I'm no longer in club nexus :( Admittedly, I do like the s3 better though. Expandable storage, better screen and sounds etc etc.
*drip* *drip*

Zzoram

When will the Nexus 5 come out? My iPhone contract ends at the end of August.

I don't really want to buy a Nexus 4 in August if the Nexus 5 is coming out soon after. Well, I would buy a Nexus 4 instead of a Nexus 5 only if they hike the price. The low unlocked price of the Nexus 4 is the main reason I'm looking at the Nexus 4/5 instead of the Galaxy S4.

When will the Nexus 5 come out? My iPhone contract ends at the end of August.

I don't really want to buy a Nexus 4 in August if the Nexus 5 is coming out soon after. Well, I would buy a Nexus 4 instead of a Nexus 5 only if they hike the price. The low unlocked price of the Nexus 4 is the main reason I'm looking at the Nexus 4/5 instead of the Galaxy S4.

They've always come out the last quarter of the year. I say just hold out with your iphone 5 till then.

How do I know if I have a defective phone because of poor battery life?

A 45minute phone call drained over 30% of my battery and caused my Nexus4 to get extremely hot. Has anybody experience super battery drain with pure voice calls? I took a 10minute phone call this morning and it drained 15% battery.

Upgraded to 4.2.2, adjusted APN for maximum HSPA+, turned off all location/GPS/BT and have screen to very low brightness.

Over the past few days I've gotten 2hours screen time averaging about 8hours battery life of not much usage besides surfing, text, and email.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
How do I know if I have a defective phone because of poor battery life?

A 45minute phone call drained over 30% of my battery and caused my Nexus4 to get extremely hot. Has anybody experience super battery drain with pure voice calls? I took a 10minute phone call this morning and it drained 15% battery.

Upgraded to 4.2.2, adjusted APN for maximum HSPA+, turned off all location/GPS/BT and have screen to very low brightness.

Over the past few days I've gotten 2hours screen time averaging about 8hours battery life of not much usage besides surfing, text, and email.

I've had a 45 minute call drain 13% if I recall correctly.

I would easily get 4½ to 5 hours easily on all of my N4s. Right now on a brand new N4 I have over 2 hours of screen time on the initial charge that came out of the box. This includes downloading 1GB of apps, screen brightness set to auto and location on (minus auto reporting).

It definitely sounds like something is wrong.

NeoRausch

sorry about the bump, buuuuut I feel so super dumb right now.

today I've decided top copy some music onto my nexus. so I've plugged the cable in the USB port and into the phone.
lie
low and behold... nothing happened.
Windows XP here.
so what's the matter? I can register it as camera, no prob. but turning it into a Stacy l standard USB-Drive... Nope!

Husker86

sorry about the bump, buuuuut I feel so super dumb right now.

today I've decided top copy some music onto my nexus. so I've plugged the cable in the USB port and into the phone.
lie
low and behold... nothing happened.
Windows XP here.
so what's the matter? I can register it as camera, no prob. but turning it into a Stacy l standard USB-Drive... Nope!

Android uses MTP for computer connections now. It allows a more seamless connection to computers (you don't have to "dismount" SD cards to be seen on computers). XP probably doesn't support that. Maybe there is a plugin?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Unfortunately it's the different type of file format Google decided to switch to MTP Protocol. I thought Windows had the drivers to support it.

You can use Airdroid (Play Store). That was my only option as a PowerPC Mac user though I'm pretty sure there is a driver for Windows.

maharg

idspispopd
MTP is built in on at least win7, and maybe vista. Probably something you can download for XP. Ironically the situation for MTP on Linux (the platform android is built on) is extremely awful.

Got a Nexus 4 last month and really impressed with it, the phone is perfectly fine and fantastic for me after a 2 year stint with the disappointing HTC Wildfire.

Today it had it's first really intenstive day on the go, lasted about 5 hours of use on the go and went into the red as I connected it to the wall charger in my bedrooom - it's been fine up to this point till today, came upstairs tonight and the charge plug was humming and my phone was detecting no charge.

I unplugged the charger to let it discharge and connected the USB to my Laptop but the phone still was having none of it, turning it off however brought up the off-charge screen. The power and volume button to get the diagnostics screen didn't work - but turning it back on as normal made it notice the USB connection to my Laptop and it's charging again now.

Do I need to worry about this, or is it just that the Nexus doesn't handle having low battery + staying on very well? It's been fantastic so far and would be a shame for the system to suddenly now have a major problem...

KarmaCow

I've been having issues with needing to turn airplane mode on and off to get a mobile connection recently. Luckily doing that usually 'fixes' it but I had an issue with my first N4's antenna not working. Since turning on/off airplane mode usually fixes it I'm assuming it's a software problem, so what could be causing it?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm rather disappointed with my wireless charging orb. When I first started using it, my Nexus would make a sound and the screen would turn on to indicate it was charging. Now, weeks later, I have to turn the screen on to see if the device is charging when I connect my Nexus to the orb, and oftentimes when I return, my Nexus is no longer charging and is at the same charge as I left it. Is anybody else having issues with the orb as they use it more often? I've just gone back to charging it via USB, but I feel like I wasted $60.

zoku88

MTP is built in on at least win7, and maybe vista. Probably something you can download for XP. Ironically the situation for MTP on Linux (the platform android is built on) is extremely awful.

It's really sad that adb is probably the best way to transfer files right now...

maharg

idspispopd
It's really sad that adb is probably the best way to transfer files right now...

Yep. It's how I do it. The MTP clients are all very slow or crash horribly.

I mean, at least I have a way at all, which is more than I can say for the iphone, but jeez.

First off I apologise if there's a better place to ask but would I need to need to root the phone to be able to pair it with a DS3, if so are there any security risks or data loss?

Top Bottom