• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

First off I apologise if there's a better place to ask but would I need to need to root the phone to be able to pair it with a DS3, if so are there any security risks or data loss?
Be aware that the actual process of rooting will wipe your phone (well, the bootloader unlock part will) ... so make backups!

I just received the ringke fusion hybrid case.

Must say, it looks and feels amazing. Not sure what people are complaining about.

Perfect fit, perfect cutouts, less bulk than bumper, elevates the speaker and both power and volume buttons are super responsive.

10/10

Someone I know is asking me and I don't know the answer.

Can the nexus 4 still get LTE in Canada without rooting? This person is on Bell and had read they patched it out, I haven't been following enough to know...

Everdred

I finally caved and bought one. I was going to wait for the HTC Once but you just can't beat the updates on Nexus. I don't want to have to wait 6+ months for each update. Hopefully, I'm not disappointed in my decision when the next one comes around this year.

New replacement nexus works great. Battery is so much better. Also my old charger made a buzzing noise constantly and my new one doesn't. It was surely defective.

Very little if any buzzing from the phone either. Looks like I got a good one.

SRG01

New replacement nexus works great. Battery is so much better. Also my old charger made a buzzing noise constantly and my new one doesn't. It was surely defective.

Very little if any buzzing from the phone either. Looks like I got a good one.

Buzzing from a charger doesn't mean it's defective. All you're hearing is the PWM frequency of the voltage.

Buzzing from a charger doesn't mean it's defective. All you're hearing is the PWM frequency of the voltage.
Not sure what that means. The buzzing only happened when the charger was plugged in to the wall but not while plugged into the phone. When plugged into the phone it didn't buzz. In the past week my phone would not charge at all and only maintain its current charge level while plugged in. Very strange. Glad I'm past that.

Not sure what that means. The buzzing only happened when the charger was plugged in to the wall but not while plugged into the phone. When plugged into the phone it didn't buzz. In the past week my phone would not charge at all and only maintain its current charge level while plugged in. Very strange. Glad I'm past that.

I guess it could compare to the similar "CPU whining" while those are in idle states. This does not mean the device is faulty but the design could have been better...

Groof

I'm gonna cross-post this from the Android OT, this might be a better place to post this:
So I had my N4 charging over night and when I woke up, the phone was dead and the LED light was flashing yellow. I read about this problem a while ago but can't remember the details. Should I be worried?
Good thing I woke up in time, else I probably would've missed my exam.

Shambles

I'm gonna cross-post this from the Android OT, this might be a better place to post this:

Did you wall charger just die? Mine did :S

Has anyone noticed that after 4.2.2 the phone also takes longer to fully charge?

Charging over USB is much slower than charging over AC if that's what you started doing. Your phone will tell you whether it's getting a USB, AC, or wireless charge.

So, the guys on XDA confirmed that T-Mobile's LTE works with the Nexus 4... and the Verge just posted a story that New York may actually be in the first wave of cities.

It's like Christmas in March.

TheFatOne

I'm really loving my Nexus 4, but I'm having one major issue. I don't know what media server is,but it's killing my battery. It uses just as much of my battery as the screen. Is there any way I can turn mediaserver off?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I'm really loving my Nexus 4, but I'm having one major issue. I don't know what media server is,but it's killing my battery. It uses just as much of my battery as the screen. Is there any way I can turn mediaserver off?

Whenever I play any type of media it pops up but never more than 6 to 7 percent. Do you have any media playing in the background? I know that this may sound crazy but go into settings, sound and uncheck Touch Sounds. Also is Google Photos and Google Play Movies set to auto sync under settings?

Basically every Google app is a battery draining disaster when set to auto sync.

Today I've been have my own personal battery drain issue. Google Services is draining 26% of total battery usage. Down to 80% with only 1 hour of screen time.

Edit- my battery just dropped 10% in 8 minutes lol.

So, the guys on XDA confirmed that T-Mobile's LTE works with the Nexus 4... and the Verge just posted a story that New York may actually be in the first wave of cities.

It's like Christmas in March.

How to access LTE speeds? I have T-Mobile $30 Unlimited Data Plan at SoCal.

Edit: Drat, only a select cities.

You possibly have some corrupt media on your device which is causing the media scanner to get stuck and never switch off. Happened to me when I first got my N4, I deleted a load of old photos I'd transferred onto my device and the problem went away. (think some panoramic photos I took on my GN were to blame)

TheFatOne

Whenever I play any type of media it pops up but never more than 6 to 7 percent. Do you have any media playing in the background? I know that this may sound crazy but go into settings, sound and uncheck Touch Sounds. Also is Google Photos and Google Play Movies set to auto sync under settings?

Basically every Google app is a battery draining disaster when set to auto sync.

Today I've been have my own personal battery drain issue. Google Services is draining 26% of total battery usage. Down to 80% with only 1 hour of screen time.

Edit- my battery just dropped 10% in 8 minutes lol.

You possibly have some corrupt media on your device which is causing the media scanner to get stuck and never switch off. Happened to me when I first got my N4, I deleted a load of old photos I'd transferred onto my device and the problem went away. (think some panoramic photos I took on my GN were to blame)

Yea since I just got my phone I decided to just do a factory reset. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

If you're in need of a new phone ASAP, get the 4. If you can wait 'til the end of the year, wait for the 5.
Either way you won't really lose, I'd say.

I don't doubt that the Nexus 5 will be a great phone with many improvementsl. My only fear is that with the Nexus 5 there will have a 5" or bigger screen - which is something I don't want or need. The size now is the maximum I can bare with otherwise I get a tablet. My need for a Note like device is zero.

Groof

I don't doubt that the Nexus 5 will be a great phone with many improvementsl. My only fear is that with the Nexus 5 there will have a 5" or bigger screen - which is something I don't want or need. The size now is the maximum I can bare with otherwise I get a tablet. My need for a Note like device is zero.
Well, I can see a 5" screen on the Nextus, but if they're gonna go that route I'd wager they'll try to keep the form factor of the phone comparatively close to what they've got now, a la SGS3->4. Going forward I do believe fitting bigger screens on a smaller physical footprint and eliminating bezels will be the thing.
Hardware wise, I think it'll just be the tried and true spec bump. Better processor, GPU, screen resolution and so on and so forth.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
So out of the blue my Nexus 4 was stuck on "authenticating" and "avoided connecting to poor internet connection" when attempting to connect to my wifi, which has "excellent signal strength". I haven't changed anything on my network recently either... Changing my router's wireless channel freq. from 2.422 to 2.425Ghz fixed the problem.

blah141

Ordered my Nexus 4 after seeing my roommate play around with his. Sold my iPhone 4S this morning for $350. Got the 8GB Nexus (planning on using the cloud music system), and I don't use many apps. Apparently the camera is even worse than the iphone 4 which saves some space. In total I only paid $16 for the "upgrade" after tax and shipping (Toronto-age)

Also ordered the Ringke Slim (navy) off ebay (amazon doesn't ship to canada). Very excited.
Will post impressions by (hopefully) the end of the week.

reKon

Banned
Ordered my Nexus 4 after seeing my roommate play around with his. Sold my iPhone 4S this morning for $350. Got the 8GB Nexus (planning on using the cloud music system), and I don't use many apps. Apparently the camera is even worse than the iphone 4 which saves some space. In total I only paid $16 for the "upgrade" after tax and shipping (Toronto-age)

Also ordered the Ringke Slim (navy) off ebay (amazon doesn't ship to canada). Very excited.
Will post impressions by (hopefully) the end of the week.

Ok, the camera is not worse that the 4... maybe the 4S, but definitely not the 4

blah141

Well after trying to work around geographical restrictions on google play music (cloud service) my google wallet account got suspended.

What I have to send in to start the process:
52uQb1R.png

"minimum 3-5 business days to process"

not fun. especially when your shipping address is different from your billing address which just so happens to also be different than your address on bank statements.

Tacitus_

Posting this here as well since no one answered in Android OT:

I'm in the process of getting a Nexus 4 from the US, since Google doesn't sell them directly in Finland (and fuck paying 500 euros for it). Now, it should work just fine since it has the proper GSM and the data antennaes according to a quick search, but I just want some reassurance that there's no nasty surprises.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Posting this here as well since no one answered in Android OT:

I'm in the process of getting a Nexus 4 from the US, since Google doesn't sell them directly in Finland (and fuck paying 500 euros for it). Now, it should work just fine since it has the proper GSM and the data antennaes according to a quick search, but I just want some reassurance that there's no nasty surprises.

You're fine.

Shambles

Well after trying to work around geographical restrictions on google play music (cloud service) my google wallet account got suspended.

What I have to send in to start the process:
"minimum 3-5 business days to process"

not fun. especially when your shipping address is different from your billing address which just so happens to also be different than your address on bank statements.

I've been trying to find a workaround to get a USA google music account working from Canada. Where are you currently living?

rinse82

I just received the ringke fusion hybrid case.

Must say, it looks and feels amazing. Not sure what people are complaining about.

Perfect fit, perfect cutouts, less bulk than bumper, elevates the speaker and both power and volume buttons are super responsive.

10/10

The buttons are terrible. I had to make custom cuts to make them feel more responsive. Only drawback of the case IMO

I have zero issue while using the buttons. I always looks at the screen when i turn on/off so tactile feel is irrelevant to me. With 1 minute auto screen off plus lock screen sound, who needs tactile response?

You may not get the tactile feel but that doesn't mean the buttons don't respond well. In fact, the stock power button is quite thin and sometimes hard to press if you're not holding the phone firmly. With this case, whenever I press the button, I know it is going to work every time.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just got an Acase Superleggera. It definitely makes the phone feel safe and I like how it looks, but it very nearly doubles both the thickness and the weight of the phone. It also makes the phone a little much wider, which means I can no longer grip it with one hand while still being able to touch most of the screen with my thumb.

Definitely bulkier than I expected, but I guess I'm okay with it because I no longer have to treat the phone like it's made of glass. Buttons work perfectly through the case, too.

blah141

I've been trying to find a workaround to get a USA google music account working from Canada. Where are you currently living?

Canada. All you really have to do is delete your current Google Wallet info, set up a U.S. ip (see: TunnelBear). Proceed as usual, enter your CC #, exp, ccv. They then ask you to put in your name and zip code (my roommate put in Bill Gates and 90210 and it worked just fine!)

Top Bottom