• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

asdad123

So i just got my nexus 4, and the earpiece volume seems really low compared to my iphone 5 (even at max volume). Is there anything I could do to make it louder?

Is there any way to make audio louder with headphones on? Or does the nexus just suck at that? I'm using apple earbuds and on an iPhone full blast my ears will be suffering. On a nexus it isn't loud at all.

I just discovered the equilizer setting on Google music, though. Kind of cool but nothing really raises the volume.

The warning every time I raise the volume with headphones is also really annoying. I'm an adult thank you Google I know the risks of ear damage.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
those who updated to 4.2.2 might be able flash the radio back and get tmobile LTE.

Some dude in the comments here:

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/03/t-mobiles-lte-market-slowly-coming-online-this-evening/

HE said he flashed the radio to .33 and is getting LTE in Houston. I'm not 100% sure if this works though.

I flashed the the radio to .33 on stock but it broke my in call sounds. I had to install CM and then flashed to .33 for everything to work. Now I am on LTE. No issues so far. I wanted to start a thread about this but I do not have access to create new threads.

Everdred

Does anyone else have a problem with Bluetooth auto play? When I get in my car my old phone would auto play, nexus doesn't. It also doesn't display song info. Pretty annoying. I even tried like 6 auto connect apps and nothing worked. Amt suggestions for me?

Rhindle

I honestly don't understand why LTE is even an issue. What is the real world use scenario where T-mobile's 42Mbps HSPA+ is a constraint?

Groof

Submarino Conversível;51775206 said:
Happened to me twice, not on yesterday's update tho

I wonder what might be causing that. Maybe it's the way how it taps into the system? Has happened to me with every single update.

I honestly don't understand why LTE is even an issue. What is the real world use scenario where T-mobile's 42Mbps HSPA+ is a constraint?
I think lower latency plays a bigger part with LTE than just sheer Mbps advantage over HSPA+. In all honesty when I have a clean HSPA+ signal its fast as fuck. So, I agree with you that LTE is a little overblown.

Asimov

Banned
Well... today was my first real day with the phone (I got it yesterday)... and I must say... the battery sucks.

I'm about to go out of work. It's been 8 hours and I'm at 10% of battery, with moderate/regular use.

Is that normal?

derder

Well... today was my first real day with the phone (I got it yesterday)... and I must say... the battery sucks.

I'm about to go out of work. It's been 8 hours and I'm at 10% of battery, with moderate/regular use.

Is that normal?

I had to turn a lot of the google stuff off, but it's pretty bad.

Groof

Do you think it's something that could be fixed with a software update or do you think it's hardware related... like a very small battery?

The battery life was improved quite a bit with 4.2.2, but other than that it's very sub-par. You'll never get more than a full day with proper use. I usually end the day with 20% and I use it quite a bit, though my usage has dropped lately.

Amzin

I was looking at getting a Nexus 4 but I'm worried about that battery life, honestly. I tend to use my phone heavier than most. But I also have no issues with rooting it and throwing another rom on if that's all that it'll take to make it live longer. Is that pretty much where things are at right now?

buhdeh

I think lower latency plays a bigger part with LTE than just sheer Mbps advantage over HSPA+. In all honesty when I have a clean HSPA+ signal its fast as fuck. So, I agree with you that LTE is a little overblown.

I agree. HSPA+ speeds themselves are fine. It's the ping that's the killer. I can click a link in the browser or whatever app and it'll load instantly over LTE. On HSPA+, it takes a few seconds to switch from 3G to H and finally start transmitting data. I also find that data transmissions timeout WAY more easily over HSPA+ than LTE.

Asimov

Banned
I was looking at getting a Nexus 4 but I'm worried about that battery life, honestly. I tend to use my phone heavier than most. But I also have no issues with rooting it and throwing another rom on if that's all that it'll take to make it live longer. Is that pretty much where things are at right now?

Yeah... basically.

Just check the Samsung S4 thread. There are some charts there. The Nexus 4 holds up against it very well. It's in second place. The specs are not the problem. The battery is.

I just need to bring an extra cable to work and a car charger.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't imagine going from a regular phone to a nexus 4. Wow. I kinda wish I got to experience that kind of evolution like that.

When the iPhone first came out, it was that same feeling for a ton of people. Mostly on the 3g version where the price was reasonable and adoption really took off. I remember everything about that phone blowing me away. I think that's why they manage to hold so much of their customers, people think it can't be topped. Unfortunately, IOS hasn't aged well. At all.

JLG-

I can't imagine going from a regular phone to a nexus 4. Wow. I kinda wish I got to experience that kind of evolution like that.

Pretty excited. Not only have i never had a smartphone but i've also never had internet access on a phone.

This is what i've been using:
sNns6r8.jpg

pretty big upgrade.
KuGsj.gif

Nice. Did yours ship yet?

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

Asimov

Banned
Pretty excited. Not only have i never had a smartphone but i've also never had internet access on a phone.

sNns6r8.jpg

pretty big upgrade.
KuGsj.gif

One little thing I love about my Nexus 4 is the lack of the carrier brand on it.

*That huge Verizon logo, man.

reKon

Banned
Yeah... basically.

Just check the Samsung S4 thread. There are some charts there. The Nexus 4 holds up against it very well. It's in second place. The specs are not the problem. The battery is.

I just need to bring an extra cable to work and a car charger.

Those GSMarena battery test results are based on when it first came out. There was software issues causing the battery not to perform well. If you are on the latest version of Android, you should be getting good battery life. Also, custom kernel's have improved things a lot for people if you want to go that route (which is easy to install for a Nexus phone).

I'd love them to redo the test again to see where it stands

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1992627

reKon

Banned
When the iPhone first came out, it was that same feeling for a ton of people. Mostly on the 3g version where the price was reasonable and adoption really took off. I remember everything about that phone blowing me away. I think that's why they manage to hold so much of their customers, people think it can't be topped. Unfortunately, IOS hasn't aged well. At all.

When it came out a lot of people were use to it because they owned iPod touches liked, the hardware/software, and liked how the iPhone would unify all of that into one sleek package despite missing basic cell phone essentials.

sNns6r8.jpg

pretty big upgrade.
KuGsj.gif

Nice. Did yours ship yet?

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

HAHAHA at least your old phone had a keyboard i had to press 9 four times to get a Z

mine should arrive tomorrow too!!!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Screen became unresponsive 5 times out of 10 on my Dec 14/2012 Nexus 4.

I'm back in the RMA game baby!

N4 number 6 on the way fools!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
When it came out a lot of people were use to it because they owned iPod touches liked, the hardware/software, and liked how the iPhone would unify all of that into one sleek package despite missing basic cell phone essentials.

I think you are confused on the iPhone/iPod touch timeline or I'm misunderstanding you.

PriitV

Stop with the RMA talk, having imported my N4 from the UK i'm afraid of anything (besides the cracked back) happening to my N4 :( 40€ just to send it to UK and back for RMA...

Screen became unresponsive 5 times out of 10 on my Dec 14/2012 Nexus 4.

I'm back in the RMA game baby!

N4 number 6 on the way fools!

Maybe you'll get one of the cool new ones with rubber feet to prevent it from sliding across surfaces!

See, this will all turn out to be a good thing in the end...

reKon

Banned
I think you are confused on the iPhone/iPod touch timeline or I'm misunderstanding you.

I guess I am, lol. But, didn't a lot more people purchase iPod Touch's before the iPhone started achieving massive sales?

95% of people I know had an iPod Touch before transitioning over to their iPhone. I saw a lot more iPod Touches on campus everywhere. That overtime converted to iPhone's.

Top Bottom