• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

JLG-

Also got my nexus 4 today.

Looks like i got one with the new redesign, they added little bumpers:

x97UqS9.jpg

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/03/googles-nexus-4-appears-to-have-received-a-subtle-redesign/

blah141

Got my nexus 4 last night! ringke slim case on the way.
The phone is beautiful and incredibly fast. google now is slightly creepy but lots of fun. i find myself using voice commands much more than i ever used siri, it's a HUGE improvement.
Gesture typing is fantastic. The placement of the power button should be lower.
All I really miss from iOS/4S is (1) tap on the top status bar to jump to the top of the page (2) a physical silent key (3) IMESSAGE (4) max earpiece volume

Set up google music on the cloud, works great with my 6GB data plan.
Spent an hour or so customizing my homescreen (inspired by other users + google glass):
NoZZiTOl.jpg

Swipe up for app drawer, swipe down for notifications.
Lockscreen: (I can't seem to find a way to hide the status bar... and I can't stand widgetlocker.
ZhJo42ul.png

Groof

The phone is beautiful and incredibly fast. google now is slightly creepy but lots of fun. i find myself using voice commands much more than i ever used siri, it's a HUGE improvement.
All I really miss from iOS/4S is (1) tap on the top status bar to jump to the top of the page (2) a physical silent key (3) IMESSAGE (4) max earpiece volume

Spent an hour or so customizing my homescreen (inspired by other users + google glass):
http://i.imgur.com/NoZZiTOl.jpg[IMG]
Lockscreen: (I can't seem to find a way to hide the status bar... and I can't stand widgetlocker.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZhJo42ul.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Looking great man! The Ringke Slim is such a beautiful case as well, it fits really tight (almost too tight, though), looks great and brings decent protection.
As for the iMessage thing, it's being rumoured that Google are on the verge of announcing something similar to it soon enough, so your woes will be heard, friend!
Welcome to the family and enjoy your stay. ;)

whitehawk

Banned

NoZZiTOl.jpg

QUOTE]Wait, how did you get your lock screen like this

Asimov

Banned

NoZZiTOl.jpg

ZhJo42ul.png
Could you please tell me how/where did you get those icons and lock screen clock?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey, maybe you guys can help me.

I recently bought a Nexus 4 and, while I'm still not using it as my phone 100% of the time, it's an amazing piece of technology.

However, I was looking at some video reviews of the phone before buying it and I noticed a Battery Notification thing that I can't seem to find it anywhere.

BaDOMvG.png

I don't know if it's an App or a phone feature. Either way, I couldn't find it (and i've been looking for a while). Any leads?

Hey, maybe you guys can help me.

I recently bought a Nexus 4 and, while I'm still not using it as my phone 100% of the time, it's an amazing piece of technology.

However, I was looking at some video reviews of the phone before buying it and I noticed a Battery Notification thing that I can't seem to find it anywhere.

http://i.imgur.com/BaDOMvG.png

I don't know if it's an App or a phone feature. Either way, I couldn't find it (and i've been looking for a while). Any leads?

did you try asking in the comments section of the video?

bjscott05

Of course I did. It's from Tested, and Norm said "it's probably from HD Widgets, but I'd have to check". However, I didn't find anything on the HD Widgets page on the playstore that suggests it has that feature.

I just checked on my phone for you. It is HD widgets. You can enable it in settings.

blah141

Looking great man! The Ringke Slim is such a beautiful case as well, it fits really tight (almost too tight, though), looks great and brings decent protection.
As for the iMessage thing, it's being rumoured that Google are on the verge of announcing something similar to it soon enough, so your woes will be heard, friend!

Thanks! While I'm loving the look of the back, I'm not willing to risk a drop/scratch.
Great news on the imessage front, I primarily used it to communicate with friends & family abroad.

Could you please tell me how/where did you get those icons and lock screen clock?

The lockscreen clock is -- as mentioned above -- Dashclock

And the icons were found here: http://cavel.la/?p=961
Remember, you should install Nova Launcher & Desktop Visualizer to get everything set up -- it's a decently time consuming process, not too much fun.

So far the battery life seems stable. The launcher and widgets don't drain much which is nice.

MarkusRJR

I borrowed a coworkers Nexus 4 today to try for a bit after work and the pinch to zoom was really unresponsive in the browser and in a few other apps. Is this a software thing or a hardware thing? It felt really jarring since my brother's Galaxy Nexus doesn't have that problem.

Kibbles

I borrowed a coworkers Nexus 4 today to try for a bit after work and the pinch to zoom was really unresponsive in the browser and in a few other apps. Is this a software thing or a hardware thing? It felt really jarring since my brother's Galaxy Nexus doesn't have that problem.
Works fine in firefox

Kikarian

Anyone know why some of my album art doesn't appear?

When I've put albums on my phone most of the time the album art is there. But sometimes there's a select few without it.

whitehawk

Banned
Sounds like a broken phone maybe? Mine is fine.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know why some of my album art doesn't appear?

When I've put albums on my phone most of the time the album art is there. But sometimes there's a select few without it.

When the album art isn't in the Google Music cloud, you can just move it to the album's directory and it should be there. Also, even when it is, it sometimes takes a while to sync the art, even when using Wi-Fi.

exYle

Over the course of the past few weeks I lost the ability to set up my iCloud email address on my N4. Anybody have any similar problems? Any solutions?

One tiny blemish on my front screen just happened sometime between last night and this morning.

I have a tiny dot sized scratch or something on my front screen. That's just it though, a single dot. I have no idea how it happened. It's pissing me off because its just a dot and it can't be wiped or cleaned off...It's watching my mind burn on the inside.

I shouldn't care because the rest of the screen is perfect still, but argh....:(

I'm thinking about picking up one of those Ringke Slim cases, too. Have you dropped your Nexus 4 by any chance? If so, how did it hold up with the case?

EDIT: And do you guys think this offers better drop protection than the Google bumper or pretty much all the same?

blah141

I'm thinking about picking up one of those Ringke Slim cases, too. Have you dropped your Nexus 4 by any chance? If so, how did it hold up with the case?

EDIT: And do you guys think this offers better drop protection than the Google bumper or pretty much all the same?

I haven't dropped the phone yet, but I can imagine it doesn't give the best protection if it falls straight on its back. It seems very thin in order to keep the "slim" profile. The 4 corners are quite robust which should aid in a fall. I also like how the back (at least for the navy version) has a slight grip which makes the phone less slippery on smooth surfaces -- a big problem for the naked back.

I would feel the google bumper gives better protection due to its sheer size -- which is why I didn't buy it, my hands feel cramped even on stock Nexus coming from an iPhone 4S.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Does anyone know of a good camcorder app that uploads online while it records? I want to turn my Nexus 4 into my Dashcam.

twitch.tv, justin.tv and ustream.tv apps will stream to the website automatically. On justin.tv (and twitch.tv, but dashcam is not really gameplay) you can select to record your stream on their servers.

It's not really what you asked, but it works on a pinch.

I've been having a lot of fun with Light Grid Live Wallpaper.

as5cykI.png

You obviously can't see it from the photo, but the tiles move around and disappear and reappear. You can customize the colors, size, and speed, and even get them to react to touch (though I have it disabled.)

I like it a lot.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well I was getting crap battery life on LTE. I averaged around 20-22 hours of battery life before rooting and installing CM 10.1. With LTE it got cut in half. I went ahead and turned it off. LTE speeds I got averaged around 13Mbs down(24Mbs highest) and 9Mbs up here in Houston.

Asimov

Banned
Well I was getting crap battery life on LTE. I averaged around 20-22 hours of battery life before rooting and installing CM 10.1. With LTE it got cut in half. I went ahead and turned it off. LTE speeds I got averaged around 13Mbs down(24Mbs highest) and 9Mbs up here in Houston.

Funny... I'm in Mexico and I use a HSPA+ carrier and I get an average of 20mbps... I thought LTE was much much better all the time.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
while the download speed is not usually a big improvement over HSPA+, the upload speed and latency are usually much better.

Yup. HSPA speeds on the download are higher. I have gotten as high as 26Mbs down here in Houston. Like Faceless Master said its the latency and the upload where LTE made the difference. I never got anywhere near 9Mbs up on hspa.

Do you guys think the next Nexus phone will keep the "Nexus 4" name ? The way Google is marketing its phone and tablets (Nexus 4, 7 and 10), one would think they'd keep it that way going forward.

I will Predict "Nexus 4 Plus"

But then what happens with the next phone after that one ? "Nexus 4++" ? I think Google should cement "Nexus [insert screen size number]" as the official name for their phones and tablets from now on. Just pull an Apple and brand them as "the new Nexus" for each launch. I think this would be best from a marketing perspective.

Isn't the Nexus 4 actually the LG Nexus 4?

They could make the Motorola Nexus 4 next. And so forth.

But what happens when either LG or Motorola does another Nexus 4 in the future ? People might be confused in seeing an old name brought back. They could think they are looking at last year's model, or the previous year's. Simply calling the phone the "Nexus 4" without any other prefixes or suffixes would be best, in my opinion.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
But what happens when either LG or Motorola does another Nexus 4 in the future ? People might be confused in seeing an old name brought back. They could think they are looking at last year's model, or the previous year's. Simply calling the phone the "Nexus 4" without any other prefixes or suffixes would be best, in my opinion.

But how do I look on XDA-Developers the first version of the LG Nexus 4?

Naming future iterations of your hardware with the same name as the prior one is stupid (like the iPad).

Putting a number in it that has no actual meaning is also stupid.

What is wrong with the Nexus One, Nexus Two, Nexus Three?

Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus were horrible names. Nexus 4 is much better, but if the Nexus 5 is not the next one, they've done goofed up.

Top Bottom