• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Asimov

Banned
But how do I look on XDA-Developers the first version of the LG Nexus 4?

Naming future iterations of your hardware with the same name as the prior one is stupid (like the iPad).

Putting a number in it that has no actual meaning is also stupid.

What is wrong with the Nexus One, Nexus Two, Nexus Three?

Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus were horrible names. Nexus 4 is much better, but if the Nexus 5 is not the next one, they've done goofed up.

Nexus 4² and then Nexus 4³ and so on.

whitehawk

Banned
Does anyone know why my Nexus 4 is screwing around? It would recognize any of my video files, and now some of my music files. I just checked with AirDroid and my files are still there. However the video player says there are no videos, while VLC plays them just fine. It was working fine earlier today. Now with music the same thing is happening.

Asimov

Banned
Does anyone know why my Nexus 4 is screwing around? It would recognize any of my video files, and now some of my music files. I just checked with AirDroid and my files are still there. However the video player says there are no videos, while VLC plays them just fine. It was working fine earlier today. Now with music the same thing is happening.

Just do a full factory reset.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Use a good player, like VLC or MoboPlayer?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
i really do like the year idea. Nexus 4 (2012) would be perfect. Hell, bring back the '12 nomeclature.

Nexus 4'12
Nexus 4'14 (I'm hoping they skip this year and make it a tablet year again, but I doubt it)

But how do I look on XDA-Developers the first version of the LG Nexus 4?

Naming future iterations of your hardware with the same name as the prior one is stupid (like the iPad).

Putting a number in it that has no actual meaning is also stupid.

What is wrong with the Nexus One, Nexus Two, Nexus Three?

Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus were horrible names. Nexus 4 is much better, but if the Nexus 5 is not the next one, they've done goofed up.

There is nothing wrong with numbered names. In fact, they should have gone with that from the beginning; but they didn't. "Nexus S" and "Galaxy Nexus" did not follow a pattern. However, after introducing the "Nexus 7" and "Nexus 10", Google decided to name their next phone the "Nexus 4", essentially unifying the phones and tablets unto the same brand. The numbers reflect the size of the screen, which is smart because all three products offer the same services and functionnalities, except for making phone calls, which is exclusive to the Nexus 4.

So if Google went with your idea and named the next Nexus phone the "Nexus 5", as in the fifth Nexus phone, what's going to happen in two years when they get to the Nexus 7 ? Are they going to have two products with the same name ? One whose "7" reflects its screen size while the other has its "7" meaning its numbered iteration ? Again, that's just more confusion, which is the prime enemy of marketing.

i really do like the year idea. Nexus 4 (2012) would be perfect. Hell, bring back the '12 nomeclature.

Nexus 4'12
Nexus 4'14 (I'm hoping they skip this year and make it a tablet year again, but I doubt it)
what do you mean tablet year? All rumours point to updates on their tablet as well as a nexus 5.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
There is nothing wrong with numbered names. In fact, they should have gone with that from the beginning; but they didn't. "Nexus S" and "Galaxy Nexus" did not follow a pattern. However, after introducing the "Nexus 7" and "Nexus 10", Google decided to name their next phone the "Nexus 4", essentially unifying the phones and tablets unto the same brand. The numbers reflect the size of the screen, which is smart because all three products offer the same services and functionnalities, except for making phone calls, which is exclusive to the Nexus 4.

So if Google went with your idea and named the next Nexus phone the "Nexus 5", as in the fifth Nexus phone, what's going to happen in two years when they get to the Nexus 7 ? Are they going to have two products with the same name ? One whose "7" reflects its screen size while the other has its "7" meaning its numbered iteration ? Again, that's just more confusion, which is the prime enemy of marketing.

Well, yes, I understand that. I meant is that the Nexus 4 was a good move, but the next one is not going to be the Nexus 5 (reading what I said earlier, I don't blame you for understanding it that way).

Naming your device after the screen size is not something I'd advise, specially in the Android ecosystem, where everybody needs to go .1 inch bigger on every release.

Is the next Nexus Phone going to be called the nexus 4.25, if that's the size of the screen?

Asimov

Banned
I like the idea of the yearly proposition. Here is a quick mock-up:

UfKwgFR.jpg

Qbp2Tyi.jpg

Well, yes, I understand that. I meant is that the Nexus 4 was a good move, but the next one is not going to be the Nexus 5 (reading what I said earlier, I don't blame you for understanding it that way).

Yeah, don't take this personally, but I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say.

Naming your device after the screen size is not something I'd advise, specially in the Android ecosystem, where everybody needs to go .1 inch bigger on every release.

Is the next Nexus Phone going to be called the nexus 4.25, if that's the size of the screen?

I think the answer is to offer more sizes. Their should be two phones, just as there are two tablets. There should be a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5; the Nexus 4 having a 4.0 inch screen and the Nexus 5 having a 5.0 inch screen, or sizes around those numbers. The current phone sizes, which are closer to 5 inches than 4 inches, are too big for my taste anyway. So offering two different sizes for the Nexus phone would be the optimal course of action, in my opinion.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yeah, don't take this personally, but I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to say.
I'm saying that Nexus 4 was a much better naming scheme than the "Nexus S" and "Galaxy Nexus" (which I never understood why they followed up the "Nexus One"). Also, it was the fourth Nexus Phone.

However, they screwed that up when they released the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10, alluding to the screen size of the device. I don't think that's a good idea, because, as I said earlier, the Smartphone industry is all about making bigger phones, and always bigger than your last one, even if it's by .1 inch. For instance: The Galaxy Note 10.1. I really do doubt that the Next Nexus 4 phone will have a 4inch screen. It'll prolly be bigger. Because that's what everybody does. Then, I pose the question I asked earlier: What is it going to be called? The Nexus 4? That doesn't make sense, it's not a 4 inch screen. The Nexus 4.1? 4.25? 4.3? What if the phone after that goes back to a 4 inch screen?

I think the answer is to offer more sizes. Their should be two phones, just as there are two tablets. There should be a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5; the Nexus 4 having a 4.0 inch screen and the Nexus 5 having a 5.0 inch screen, or sizes around those numbers. The current phone sizes, which are closer to 5 inches than 4 inches, are too big for my taste anyway. So offering two different sizes for the Nexus phone would be the optimal course of action, in my opinion.
The optimal course of action would be not to name the phones based on the screen sizes, but we all know that's not possible anymore.

Your "4 inch model" and "5 inch model" is a good compromise. The Nexus 4 is always a 4.something screen. 4.8 inch screen? It's the Nexus 4! 5.1 Screen? It's the Nexus 5! But then, what about the fact that the 4.8 inch screen may have a better processor than the 5.1 screen? Will the Nexus 4 be better than the bexus 5? If that can't be the case, all the "good processors" phones will have to be 5 inch or bigger? I wouldn't like that at all.

I really do wonder what they're going to do next. Again, as said earlier, going by year model would be awesome. I mean, that's how it works with some cars, isn't it? The 2009 model, the 2011 model...

Also, I'm with you: Nobody needs a 5 inch phone. I think the 4inch is big already.

However, they screwed that up when they released the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10, alluding to the screen size of the device. I don't think that's a good idea, because, as I said earlier, the Smartphone industry is all about making bigger phones, and always bigger than your last one, even if it's by .1 inch. For instance: The Galaxy Note 10.1. I really do doubt that the Next Nexus 4 phone will have a 4inch screen. It'll prolly be bigger. Because that's what everybody does.

The optimal course of action would be not to name the phones based on the screen sizes.

While it's true that companies are making bigger phones each year because there's (apparently) demand for that, it's not as if it's going to always be like this. Nobody will want a 10-inch phone; eventually you reach a certain size that cannot be crossed. This is why I say that they should simply offer more sizes to better suit the market. There are people, like me, who don't like having big phones. My personal tastes dictate that phones should never be bigger than 60mm x 125mm, which is about the size of the iPhone 5. As of now, Google is not offering this to me. I'm sure there are other Android phones which would suit me in terms of size, but I want a Nexus phone; I want a pure Android experience. And I fail to see how they would justify not offering more choices to their customers.

While it's true that companies are making bigger phones each year because there's (apparently) demand for that, it's not as if it's going to always be like this. Nobody will want a 10-inch phone; eventually you reach a certain size that cannot be crossed. This is why I say that they should simply offer more sizes to better suit the market. There are people, like me, who don't like having big phones. My personal tastes dictate that phones should never be bigger than 60mm x 125mm, which is about the size of the iPhone 5. As of now, Google is not offering this to me. I'm sure there are other Android phones which would suit me in terms of size, but I want a Nexus phone; I want a pure Android experience. And I fail to see how they would justify not offering more choices to their customers.
you're wrong. some people do want a 10" phone.

leadbelly

Banned
I can't seem to find a way to hide the status bar... and I can't stand widgetlocker.

How did you remove it for the homescreen?

There is a very good app I use called GMD Gesture Control. You need to have your phone rooted to use it though. You can basically add or remove the status and navigation bar by use of gestures. It has a lot of options and is pretty customisable. I only really use it for games as the navigation bar irritates me immensely while playing them. I have it set to turn back on when I click the screen on/off. You can have it remain off if you wish though.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...NvbS5nb29kbW9vZGRyb2lkLmdlc3R1cmVjb250cm9sIl0.

ZwhQI02.png

There is also another useful app called LMT launcher. If you have your navigation bar off permanently, you can set a 'pie' to appear with the navigation buttons and whatever else you wish to add on it. On default it appears when you place your thumb at the very corner of the right hand side of the screen. I don't think it is available on Google Play. You have to get it from XDA.

SRbEEvH.png

I haven't really customised my homescreen, as you can see. What some of you have done looks quite cool though. I might give it a try. :)

Talon

Faceless' Homescreen.png

Google names its products by letting a headless chicken loose on a floor lined with product names anyways.

I'm on the lookout for a Charging Orb for my Nexus 4, is there a place to get it for cheap (shipping to a non Google Play Store country), or is my best bet to pay overprice and get it via eBay?

Rengoku

Received my new LG charger yesterday. Pretty sleek looking device. Works pretty well as expected, no noise. Flashes green when charging, and solid green when done. Very portable too.

iE9umvJFVYbo.png

ibiIFWxUwrpzBi.png

Groof

Received my new LG charger yesterday. Pretty sleek looking device. Works pretty well as expected, no noise. Flashes green when charging, and solid green when done. Very portable too.

http://i.minus.com/iE9umvJFVYbo.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibiIFWxUwrpzBi.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

How much was it?

Does viewing multiple Gifs on Neogaf, on thread "Pics that make you laugh |OT4| Aw yiss. Motha. F*ckin. Reposts.", destroy your Nexus 4 battery life? I went to setting and saw that Chrome took up 27% of the battery.

I remember my Nexus 4 was very hot; temperature went up to 108* F.

exYle

So, today, my Google Voice input decided to go full retard.

Typically, in the past, I've been able to say "Google, set timer for 10 minutes," and my phone would interpret as "Set alarm for 10 minutes from now."

Today, saying the exact same phrase gets the result of "Set alarm for 10:00 PM."

What the hell?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, today, my Google Voice input decided to go full retard.

Typically, in the past, I've been able to say "Google, set timer for 10 minutes," and my phone would interpret as "Set alarm for 10 minutes from now."

Today, saying the exact same phrase gets the result of "Set alarm for 10:00 PM."

What the hell?

It probably didn't detect you saying "minutes"

it happened constantly with me, specially since my english pronunciation is horrible (not a native speaker)

Rengoku

How much was it?

Total including shipping was $80. Pretty pricey, will probably be cheaper once they start selling in the US. Overall, it works out to be about $3 more than what it would have cost to ship the regular orb charger to me.

exYle

It probably didn't detect you saying "minutes"

it happened constantly with me, specially since my english pronunciation is horrible (not a native speaker)

If that were the case, I'd be okay with it and simply enunciate more clearly. However...

...that clearly isn't the case. My phone detects that I'm saying 'minutes' and it thinks that I want the alarm being set at 10:00 PM to he named "Minutes".

Husker86

If that were the case, I'd be okay with it and simply enunciate more clearly. However...

...that clearly isn't the case. My phone detects that I'm saying 'minutes' and it thinks that I want the alarm being set at 10:00 PM to he named "Minutes".

I always say "wake me up in x minutes", just tried it now and it still works.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
WHAT THE HELL

Did you change the language of the phone?

did you change it to english (international)?

Voice commands don't work in english international, even though it totally detects everything I say much better.

Everything should work in English (US)

DSN2K

ordered on thursday...dispatched friday...hopefully have it by Monday or Tuesday. I need to find someone to trim my Sim down or do it myself! I have watched a few vids on youtube...it doesnt seem that hard really but is it worth the risk ?

exYle

Did you change the language of the phone?

did you change it to english (international)?

Voice commands don't work in english international, even though it totally detects everything I say much better.

Everything should work in English (US)

Language is in English (United States). I think it's the default as I have never tweaked this setting.

Groof

Total including shipping was $80. Pretty pricey, will probably be cheaper once they start selling in the US. Overall, it works out to be about $3 more than what it would have cost to ship the regular orb charger to me.
Damn these are crazy expensive. Really want one but I can't justify the price.

My dbrand skin came in today. I bought the carbon fiber one.
My friend has one of these, so sexy.

Aad

Well my Nexus 4 has bricked itself. I haven't even had the phone for 2 months. Never buying another LG phone ever again.

Top Bottom