• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Cipherr

So, today, my Google Voice input decided to go full retard.

Typically, in the past, I've been able to say "Google, set timer for 10 minutes," and my phone would interpret as "Set alarm for 10 minutes from now."

Today, saying the exact same phrase gets the result of "Set alarm for 10:00 PM."

What the hell?

Its still working fine for me.

wario

dropped my phone and cracked the screen last weekend. touchscreen is completely unresponsive. =/

DIY replacement screens on ebay run about $130. anyone have experience with these?

right now i'm using an xperia mini but i'll see what this motorola xphone is all about. otherwise, i'll just wait until november for the nexus 4 successor.
aY2BXr5.jpg

rc213

dropped my phone and cracked the screen last weekend. touchscreen is completely unresponsive. =/

DIY replacement screens on ebay run about $130. anyone have experience with these?

right now i'm using an xperia mini but i'll see what this motorola xphone is all about. otherwise, i'll just wait until november for the nexus 4 successor.

I remember correctly LG charges around $130 to repair.

Aad

how did it happen

It just randomly switched off. Doesn't charge. Google search tells me it's called the red light of death.

He doesn't actually care. It's far easier to bitch on the internet than to make a simple phone call to Google to replace his device.

Of course I will be getting a replacement, but the inconvenience of a brand new phone randomly dying on me and losing some important data in my text messages which I hadn;'t got round to backing up. Also not having a phone for upto 10 working days while they try to fix it or send me out a new one.

Hardly bitching.

I really hope the next Nexus device will be by Motorola or Sony.

Rhindle

It just randomly switched off. Doesn't charge. Google search tells me it's called the red light of death.
I got the red light of death on mine last month. Stone cold dead. Then several days later, it magically came back to life.

Which was a good thing because UPS managed to lose my RMA unit in the meantime, and Google would not ship another one until they did an "investigation."

Nicktendo86

I got the red light of death on mine last month. Stone cold dead. Then several days later, it magically came back to life.

Which was a good thing because UPS managed to lose my RMA unit in the meantime, and Google would not ship another one until they did an "investigation."

Just out of interest, did you root the phone or leave it stock?

ordered on thursday...dispatched friday...hopefully have it by Monday or Tuesday. I need to find someone to trim my Sim down or do it myself! I have watched a few vids on youtube...it doesnt seem that hard really but is it worth the risk ?

Are you doing the pre paid plan im assuming? I had to call around to find a place that would let me do the 30 dollar pre paid plan in store. I was getting frustrated but the third place said they could do it, the people there were so nice and helpful, it was a stark difference then my first two experiences.

I am considering a Nexus 4 as my cell phone, I mostly need it for travel and it's a much cheaper unlocked solution than an iPhone.

I did have a Nexus 7 at one point but eventually sold it to go back an iPad Mini which I loved. I'm a little concerned about switching from iPhone to Nexus 4 but I think the pluses in this case outweigh the negatives.

Not sure if I have a question but I will be reading through this thread for experiences, especially from those who use it for travel/switch out sim-cards a lot.

Ok, I do have a couple of questions - Any chance a 32gig upgrade is around the corner? Does the Nexus 4 have LTE in Canada?

Sh1ner

So dropped my nexus 4 whilst standing, landed completely flush with the ground on its back. The entire front screen shattered.

So I took it to Carphone warehouse two days back. They provide a generic quote of 180. Once I pointed out the screen was cracked and the touchscreen was unresponsive I mentioned the quote is most likely incorrect.0 (reddit post on nexus4 subeddit pointed this out a while back)

So the geek squad guy typed in all the details and I was charged 79.99 to replace the screen/digitiser. It is currently sitting in the central repair station. Its been 2 days. If you live in the UK this is probably the best deal you will get for repairing a cracked screen.

What did I learn? buy a fucking cover for my phone. I am using a nexus s and its killing me.

Nicktendo86

So dropped my nexus 4 whilst standing, landed completely flush with the ground on its back. The entire front screen shattered.

So I took it to Carphone warehouse two days back. They provide a generic quote of 180. Once I pointed out the screen was cracked and the touchscreen was unresponsive I mentioned the quote is most likely incorrect.0 (reddit post on nexus4 subeddit pointed this out a while back)

So the geek squad guy typed in all the details and I was charged 79.99 to replace the screen/digitiser. It is currently sitting in the central repair station. Its been 2 days. If you live in the UK this is probably the best deal you will get for repairing a cracked screen.

What did I learn? buy a fucking cover for my phone. I am using a nexus s and its killing me.
£80 is not too bad I suppose...

Veal

ordered on thursday...dispatched friday...hopefully have it by Monday or Tuesday. I need to find someone to trim my Sim down or do it myself! I have watched a few vids on youtube...it doesnt seem that hard really but is it worth the risk ?
It's definitely not hard but you HAVE to make sure you cut it down and align it correctly! If you don't, you'll constantly get a "no sim card inserted" error and will restart the phone constantly.

I'm looking to replace my 2010 HTC phone for a Nexus 4, but the stories about screens being shattered (even from standing distance) are scaring me. I don't really wanna have to buy a really thick bulky case for it either :-/ Has anyone had troubles with the glass shattering on their Nexus 4 even with a case?

I'm looking to replace my 2010 HTC phone for a Nexus 4, but the stories about screens being shattered (even from standing distance) are scaring me. I don't really wanna have to buy a really thick bulky case for it either :-/ Has anyone had troubles with the glass shattering on their Nexus 4 even with a case?

if you drop your phone often, you may want to get a phone that isn't made of glass...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This is quite offtopic, as the Nexus 4 doesn't support USB OTG.

However, this thing is so neat and so cheap that I couldn't help to buy one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andyfei/mini-microsd-reader-for-android-smartphones-and-ta

It's a shame that the Nexus 4 won't ever be compatible with it. IT works with the other Nexus devices.

There's really no way to add more Storage to a Nexus 4, other than with a Homebrew Kernel and a external power source?

Edit: I guess you could use Bluetooth devices.... still, pretty shitty.

blah141

Did anyone catch Facebook Home APK before they turned it off? Any impressions on the beta? I hear it worked fine with our N4's.

Exile550

Can any recommend me a phone between the Nexus 4 and the HTC one S.
My main concern is build quality. I drop my phones alot!

Thanks for your input!

How much is it to replace the back glass? In Europe... If nobody knows for EU, I'll take the info' for US even :) Just to get an idea...

reKon

Banned
Did you guys see the rumors about Google expanding the storage from 8GB to 16GB and 16GB to 32GB?

To be honest, if they did this and upped the battery over 2300mAH, I'd actually consider still buying this to ensure I get KLP goodness.

For anyone in Canada who made the switch from an iPhone, did you need to call your provider and make any changes to your plan? Or is it as easy as taking my SIM out of my iPhone 4 and moving it to the Nexus 4. I think I may wait for 32gig but having an unlocked phone for cheap is way too tempting.

blah141

For anyone in Canada who made the switch from an iPhone, did you need to call your provider and make any changes to your plan? Or is it as easy as taking my SIM out of my iPhone 4 and moving it to the Nexus 4. I think I may wait for 32gig but having an unlocked phone for cheap is way too tempting.

Yep, very easy. Just pop your 4S microsim right in and you're good to go.

Blackhead

Redarse

Which carrier are you with? iirc some carriers have android addon plans (for visual voicemail etc) which are cheaper than the iPhone addon plans. You should be able to switch that without breaking contract.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I bought a Nexus 4. My mother (who's family account I'm on) is switching from AT&T to TMobile in the next few days, but she lives in another state. What do I need to activate the phone once she makes the switch?

Just a TMobile Sim card? Which one do I need to buy and where do I buy it? There's one on the Tmobile website but it says "prepaid" on it. I don't know what to get.

moka

Love my Nexus 4 so far, haven't had any problems as well. Got a cheap case and screen protector for it but they work quite well.

sfedai0

Banned
I bought a Nexus 4. My mother (who's family account I'm on) is switching from AT&T to TMobile in the next few days, but she lives in another state. What do I need to activate the phone once she makes the switch?

Just a TMobile Sim card? Which one do I need to buy and where do I buy it? There's one on the Tmobile website but it says "prepaid" on it. I don't know what to get.

Depends on what phones. Most smartphones use micro-sim. Older phones use full size sim. I got my T-Mo sim card for free. They were just giving them away.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Depends on what phones. Most smartphones use micro-sim. Older phones use full size sim. I got my T-Mo sim card for free. They were just giving them away.

I bought a Nexus 4, hence me posting in this thread. I bought it off the Play store and need a sim card to use it. I live in a different city than my mom who is the one changing service to TMobile, so I won't be there to get a sim card. I guess she could send me one but I want to use it right away. I just need to know what to get and where.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
You can just cut your current sim to micro sim size based on the numerous templates available online. It's what I did for mine and my gfs Sims after I upgraded us to N4s.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I just got my nexus 4 yesterday, loved the phone. I installed Skype but for some reason it over take my contact list. So every time I tried to save a phone number on website or text it took me to the Skype contact list instead of the phone one. Is there anyway to turn the default back to the original contact list?

Another question I have is the when I run game like dungeon defender, the back of the phone heat up, is it normal? Should I stop the game if it heat up like that?

Asimov

Banned
I just got my nexus 4 yesterday, loved the phone. I installed Skype but for some reason it over take my contact list. So every time I tried to save a phone number on website or text it took me to the Skype contact list instead of the phone one. Is there anyway to turn the default back to the original contact list?

Another question I have is the when I run game like dungeon defender, the back of the phone heat up, is it normal? Should I stop the game if it heat up like that?
It is normal... Do no not worry about the heat.

where can i get some nice wallpapers and stuff? i dont even know where to begin to look

i still have the stock wallpaper and the ones in the options are all stock too

You can just cut your current sim to micro sim size based on the numerous templates available online. It's what I did for mine and my gfs Sims after I upgraded us to N4s.

Submarino Conversível;53762331 said:
It's really easy to do it with a printed out schematic
But his current card is from AT&T. Won't work when hes switched to Tmobile. But yes cutting a sim is very easy and I have a cut one in my phone currently.

I guess you'd have to call tmobile which would probably give you your answer on if that prepaid one from the website would work, timedog. Or go to a T-Mobile store if those exist.

I bought a Nexus 4, hence me posting in this thread. I bought it off the Play store and need a sim card to use it. I live in a different city than my mom who is the one changing service to TMobile, so I won't be there to get a sim card. I guess she could send me one but I want to use it right away. I just need to know what to get and where.

T-Mobile gives you a free micro sim card if you purchase a plan from their stores physically. I based this from personal experience a month ago.

vanty

where can i get some nice wallpapers and stuff? i dont even know where to begin to look

i still have the stock wallpaper and the ones in the options are all stock too
Just look for PC wallpapers or any good big image you find. They don't need to be a specific res or anything (though you'd probably want at least 1280x1280) since you'll crop it when setting it as background anyway.

Just look for PC wallpapers or any good big image you find. They don't need to be a specific res or anything (though you'd probably want at least 1280x1280) since you'll crop it when setting it as background anyway.

oh okay, i thought it was more specific.. like a special section in the google play store of something

Kibbles

Okay this has been pissing me off, whenever I watch an online video in full screen or something, the notifications bar keeps popping in and out in and out and the video is constantly resizing and asgjlasnkgma,fdas.

sant

I just upgraded to a data plan, $39 for 400mb, unlimited text, call display, voicemail, 450 minutes.

Anyway, I have a chance to sign a 2 year agreement and get a Nexus 4 for $100 to replace my Nexus S. The problem is I really have my heart set on this year's Nexus. I want a 1080p screen, LTE, a better camera, a bigger battery and possibly a Snapdragon 800.

Should I sign a 2 year agreement and get the phone now, and then buy the Nexus 5 (or whatever it'll be called) unlocked from Google in the fall? I would give the Nexus 4 to my sister.

What would you do? Does paying $100 and signing a 2 year agreement worth using a phone for 6 months? Only to buy one unlocked from Google later?

I just upgraded to a data plan, $39 for 400mb, unlimited text, call display, voicemail, 450 minutes.

Anyway, I have a chance to sign a 2 year agreement and get a Nexus 4 for $100 to replace my Nexus S. The problem is I really have my heart set on this year's Nexus. I want a 1080p screen, LTE, a better camera, a bigger battery and possibly a Snapdragon 800.

Should I sign a 2 year agreement and get the phone now, and then buy the Nexus 5 (or whatever it'll be called) unlocked from Google in the fall? I would give the Nexus 4 to my sister.

What would you do? Does paying $100 and signing a 2 year agreement worth using a phone for 6 months? Only to buy one unlocked from Google later?

No in fact there are better options if you go subsidized. The whole point is the low price and uunsubsidized option

Top Bottom