• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I dropped my Nexus 4 and wrecked the digitizer so now it's completely screwed. :(

If I want to get it fixed who should I go to, Google or LG? I'm in australia

Best to call both and see their prices. Also check out repair shops like Best Buys Geek Squad or the Aussie equivalent if no BB exists there.

Any update on when Google will fix the bluetooth car audio problem? I still can't use my N4 with my car bluetooth. Music works but calls don't work. Used to work flawlessly with the gnex earlier. :(

moka

There are apps that can do this. If you use Light Flow it has a setting for lighting up the screen when a certain notification is triggered.
I use an app called Screen Notifications. You can choose what apps light up your screen when you get a notification.

Is there a way to get rid of the "back" "home" and "apps" buttons at the bottom while using apps? It takes up a lot of screen space that could come in handy when browsing the web. What would be perfect is if Google gave me the option to disable it, and then let me swipe from the bottom/side of the phone to bring it back (for 5 seconds) similar to how to swipe down the notifications bar.

If you root you could also change the color/the way they look.

Biscuits

Yeah that's what I was meaning. That's a shame that there is no option for that cause I'm always missing texts now. Thank k's though
Actually if you use the default messaging app, it seems like you just need to go into settings and check both Show Pop-Up and Wake and Unlock. Though I highly recommend getting Light Flow anyways.

So, just got my case.... LOVE IT!!!!! Super slim, good grip and looks boss!! Highly recommend the Mercury slim TPU:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AOW8ILC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nothing, and I mean nothing is a patch on this.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/rearth-ringke-slim-case-for-google-nexus-4-white-version-2-p37485.htm

Adds almost nothing to the profile which was my concern with TPU cases. Looks beautiful, giving me that white feel (I really wanted a white Nexus 4 black front/white back) and this achieves it. I've dropped my phone on hard tiles a couple of times and this case has kept everything intact. And it fits perfectly. Highly recommended.

Pctx

Banned

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/rearth-ringke-slim-case-for-google-nexus-4-white-version-2-p37485.htm

Adds almost nothing to the profile which was my concern with TPU cases. Looks beautiful, giving me that white feel (I really wanted a white Nexus 4 black front/white back) and this achieves it. I've dropped my phone on hard tiles a couple of times and this case has kept everything intact. And it fits perfectly. Highly recommended.

Looked at that one, issue for me was coverage on the bottom. Have you had any issues with it? (doesn't sound like it.)

Mrcapcom

Waiting to get that in the mail to do a review for them. I heard great things about the case

Looked at that one, issue for me was coverage on the bottom. Have you had any issues with it? (doesn't sound like it.)

No not at all! There was an initial release where they fucked up and it apparently didn't fit perfectly. Version 2 came out (I had to wait a couple of weeks) and it's brilliant. The small lips around the bottom protrude ever so slightly out so if you do drop it directly that way it's the case that will take the brunt. Honestly it's the best case and best looking case I've ever had. On top of that it still works with the official wireless charging orb.

Pctx

Banned
No not at all! There was an initial release where they fucked up and it apparently didn't fit perfectly. Version 2 came out (I had to wait a couple of weeks) and it's brilliant. The small lips around the bottom protrude ever so slightly out so if you do drop it directly that way it's the case that will take the brunt. Honestly it's the best case and best looking case I've ever had. On top of that it still works with the official wireless charging orb.

nice.

moka

I bought the S-Line Wave Gel Case from eBay, it provides good protection, good access to ports and buttons except the volume rocker and the grips on the side are really very good.

Only cost me £1.85 and it came with a screen protector as well.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I bought the S-Line Wave Gel Case from eBay, it provides good protection, good access to ports and buttons except the volume rocker and the grips on the side are really very good.

Got mine for $1.75:). Can't stand the terrible buttons on the Hybrid Fusion so I'm using the S-Line is so much more comfortable.

My Nexus had some issues where the screen would stop responding to input. Sent it in to Google and got a free, brand new replacement!

Wee. I'm happy :D

moka

Got mine for $1.75:). Can't stand the terrible buttons on the Hybrid Fusion so I'm using the S-Line is so much more comfortable.

It's a good case and it's cheap as chips. What more could you ask for?

My Nexus had some issues where the screen would stop responding to input. Sent it in to Google and got a free, brand new replacement!

Wee. I'm happy :D

Ha, nice. I've had no problems with mine so far, around 3 weeks in. Some people on XDA forums have had multiple replacements. Some of them are just making up problems and abusing the system but I'm glad yours is sorted now.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
My old number won't transfer to my new phone. Fuck. It's been like 3 days and my families numbers all transferred already. Is there something I need to do on the phone? I've tried shutting both phones off and on again, like 10 times.

whitehawk

Banned

I need to start shopping online. I bought this exact case, but it didn't come with a stylus, screen protect or or cloth... For $10.

Any update on when google will fix the bluetooth car audio problem? I still can't use my N4 with my car bluetooth. Music works but calls don't work. Used to work flawlessly with the gnex earlier. :(

ANYONE?

Should I contact Google for a replacement, cause I've heard this is a common problem with 4.2.2 on N4.

moka

I need to start shopping online. I bought this exact case, but it didn't come with a stylus, screen protect or or cloth... For $10.

Oh haha, I forgot to mention that, mine came with some shitty stylus as well. I don't use it but whatever.

You deffinately do need to start buying online, stuff is just so much cheaper, most of the time anyway.

moka

Anyone use a wallet case with theirs?

Wallet cases are so weird, if I'm gonna get mugged for my phone, I don't wanna get mugged of all of my identification and money as well.

Wallet cases make it easy for thieves, they put everything you value in a nice, neat little package.

My old number won't transfer to my new phone. Fuck. It's been like 3 days and my families numbers all transferred already. Is there something I need to do on the phone? I've tried shutting both phones off and on again, like 10 times.
If it still hasn't, you need to call your current phone company and tell them.

Groof

Wallet cases are so weird, if I'm gonna get mugged for my phone, I don't wanna get mugged of all of my identification and money as well.

Wallet cases make it easy for thieves, they put everything you value in a nice, neat little package.

Mmh yeah, that would indeed be a problem. I'm just the kind of person who enjoys carrying as little as possible on me at all times, so I figured a wallet case might be cool. Then again they usually only hold two cards so it wouldn't be enough either way.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Lady at the store says it'll be fixed within 24 hours. I hope so but I'm not expecting it. I worked at a Sprint call center and back then this type of thing was such a hassle. People would constantly call in saying they already called in 5+ times to fix it with nothing changed. Hopefully T-Mobile is better about this stuff.

Most of all I hope they didn't take my sister's number and add it to the pool of available numbers, because then she might NEVER be able to get her number back.

GJS

ANYONE?

Should I contact Google for a replacement, cause I've heard this is a common problem with 4.2.2 on N4.

Haven't had any problem with mine, both calls and music work. An issue like that with Bluetooth is going to vary a lot depending on which headunit you are trying to connect to.

Maiar_m

So, I've had this phone since its release, here's my updated impressions about it, in case someone is still considering this phone but wants feedback from a "long time" user.

It's still pretty fast and battery life on medium to light use is still about two days. I'm rocking the original rom and nothing has been done to tinker with the phone. The positive points are the same as they originally were: it's a fast phone with stock Android and what I think is a nice design.

However, the build quality isn't as nice as I would have liked. The power button is beginning to suck quite a bit, and I can't say if it's because the phone freezes on wake-up, or if it's a "mechanical" issue. Whichever it might be, I think it sucks quite a bit, and I know the two reasons are just as likely: I often have a hard time getting the unlock screen to actually work on wake up, I have to put it back to sleep and then try again.

Other perceived advantages that eventually grew useless are the sphere mode for pictures (I thought its results were flimsy and it took way too much time to use), fast system updates (there aren't that many, and what you get when you get them isn't that mind-blowing yet, of course it can get a lot more useful in the future), wireless charging is a real gimmick (impossible to get an Orb in Europe, at least in France, and chargers are pretty darn expensive) and that's about it really.

So if you're considering buying this phone, keep in mind most of its "strong points" as they are sold by Google aren't really that interesting. However, you still get a very good-performing phone at a really affordable price. Unless you're looking for a premium handset with high-profile bells-and-whistles such as what you get on the HTC One, galaxy S4 or Sony Xperia Submarine edition, I'd still say this is a strong choice.

Husker86

ANYONE?

The only thing I can think of other than it straight out not working with your head unit is: Go to Bluetooth settings and under paired devices click the settings icon next to your car. Is the "Phone Audio" option grayed out, or just unchecked? My GNex used to randomly have the Music Audio unchecked for my car when repairing so I would have to go into the setting and check it myself.

Otherwise, if you've tried all other things (unpairing/repairing) and you are sure it should work with your car, then I guess a replacement is the only option; though it seems like it would be a software issue if the bluetooth works with other devices.

maharg

idspispopd
Does anyone else think that Google's version of swype isn't as good as the original? I'm not sure to what extent they are or aren't the same thing but I feel like it misses a lot more now.

Does anyone else think that Google's version of swype isn't as good as the original? I'm not sure to what extent they are or aren't the same thing but I feel like it misses a lot more now.
Once you go SwiftKey there's no going back. So yeah. I hated it.

H2Yo

Any update on when Google will fix the bluetooth car audio problem? I still can't use my N4 with my car bluetooth. Music works but calls don't work. Used to work flawlessly with the gnex earlier. :(

I had a very similar issue with my head unit and Nexus 4. It turned out that it was not an issue with my phone but the head unit had stored 3 bluetooth profiles already. In order to add the Nexus 4, I deleted the old profiles and then added the phone as a special device. Everything worked perfectly. Might want to check that out.

My car stereo is a Pioneer.

The only thing I can think of other than it straight out not working with your head unit is: Go to Bluetooth settings and under paired devices click the settings icon next to your car. Is the "Phone Audio" option grayed out, or just unchecked? My GNex used to randomly have the Music Audio unchecked for my car when repairing so I would have to go into the setting and check it myself.

Otherwise, if you've tried all other things (unpairing/repairing) and you are sure it should work with your car, then I guess a replacement is the only option; though it seems like it would be a software issue if the bluetooth works with other devices.

Phone audio is not grayed out or unchecked. I can connect properly but if I try to make or receive a call, I don't get any sound from the car audio. The head unit displays the incoming number as well, but when I answer the call, there is no audio and sometimes it shows the "unsupported" error while trying to make a call.

I had a very similar issue with my head unit and Nexus 4. It turned out that it was not an issue with my phone but the head unit had stored 3 bluetooth profiles already. In order to add the Nexus 4, I deleted the old profiles and then added the phone as a special device. Everything worked perfectly. Might want to check that out.

My car stereo is a Pioneer.

Thanks, I've already tired this method. Still no luck, :(

moka

Once you go SwiftKey there's no going back. So yeah. I hated it.

I used SwiftKey before I started using Swype. I felt that SwiftKey was making a lot of errors/mistakes. Swype doesn't though, so I'm gonna stick with it.

Toge

which kernel is everyone using these days? im using motley but he hasn't updated it in a while, hope he/shes ok

Shagwell

which kernel is everyone using these days? im using motley but he hasn't updated it in a while, hope he/shes ok

Considering I've had this nexus since mid-December I feel like a total idiot asking this but it's about time: what on earth is a kernel? Why do people use them?

Top Bottom