• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

DaNcaKe

which kernel is everyone using these days? im using motley but he hasn't updated it in a while, hope he/shes ok

Personally, I've been using the Franco kernel (rooted w/app, easy to update) and it's served me well. Little to no performance difference noticed but considerably better battery life compared to when I was running stock.

Considering I've had this nexus since mid-December I feel like a total idiot asking this but it's about time: what on earth is a kernel? Why do people use them?

The kernel is what talks to both the software and the hardware; you can install 3rd party ones on most Android phones to improve performance and/or battery life.

MarkusRJR

Joined the Nexus 4 party. :)

Hopefully I get the newer models with the nubs on the back. This is going to be such an upgrade from my Motorola Milestone (the non-Verizon original Droid).

moka

Everything on my phone is stock at the moment but I've had no problems with it so far. Maybe if I get bored of it in the future I'll think about customising it a bit more.

Joined the Nexus 4 party. :)

Hopefully I get the newer models with the nubs on the back. This is going to be such an upgrade from my Motorola Milestone (the non-Verizon original Droid).

I didn't and i got mine straight from google last week.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
This goes against everything I've heard about this phone. How did you make it last so long?

I guess the more I use WiFi the better the battery. I don't use mobile data too much. I don't use Google+ or Facebook or any of those social media sites though. Location services are on but not on auto update/check in/reporting. I have two hotmail accounts but push is off.

If I didn't have my phone charged I could have screen capped each app in the battery stats.

Metroid

So, I am thinking about ordering a Nexus 4 but with Google I/O just around the corner I was wondering if it is worth it. What are the chances of a new phone getting announced there or in general?

bananas

Banned
So, I am thinking about ordering a Nexus 4 but with Google I/O just around the corner I was wondering if it is worth it. What are the chances of a new phone getting announced there or in general?

Rumor is an LTE version of the Nexus 4 will be announced.

The rumored Nexus 5 isn't expected until the Fall.

MarkusRJR

Rumors apparently are only talking about a potential Nexus 4 with 32gb of storage and LTE, no new real phone like a Nexus 5 or x phone.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
A question to you guys with crazy battery life: do you use any kind of IM service?

Not me. Just regular texting.

Managed 5:40 today. Watched about 15 minutes of adult movies.

Edit- anyone else's charger sound like police sirens? I got back to my phone and it seems to have shut down. I plugged it into the charger and nothing happened. I heard a faint noise coming from the charger. Sounded like buzzing in a police siren pattern when I put my ear to it.

I think the random shut down happened when the new store updated on my N4. I dunno. I really don't want an 8th replacement.

Groof

Not me. Just regular texting.

Managed 5:40 today. Watched about 15 minutes of adult movies.

Edit- anyone else's charger sound like police sirens? I got back to my phone and it seems to have shut down. I plugged it into the charger and nothing happened. I heard a faint noise coming from the charger. Sounded like buzzing in a police siren pattern when I put my ear to it.

I think the random shut down happened when the new store updated on my N4. I dunno. I really don't want an 8th replacement.

Damn. If only I could dump all my IM apps as well...

I think the charger buzzing is normal, mine does that as well as long as it isn't plugged into my phone. I've had similar issues where it just shuts down while charging, but a hard reset usually fixes it and it works just as it usually does...

Nicktendo86

Damn. If only I could dump all my IM apps as well...

I think the charger buzzing is normal, mine does that as well as long as it isn't plugged into my phone. I've had similar issues where it just shuts down while charging, but a hard reset usually fixes it and it works just as it usually does...

My Galaxy NExus also make a loud buzzing noise when charging, think it is normal.

Any update on when Google will fix the bluetooth car audio problem? I still can't use my N4 with my car bluetooth. Music works but calls don't work. Used to work flawlessly with the gnex earlier. :(

For anyone concerned about this annoying bluetooth issue, I've been participating somewhat in a Google Group discussion on the topic, and a company rep confirmed last week that Google is aware of the issue. Hopefully that means will get a fix either with the next Google Now update or with KLP (or 4.3 JB - whatever they call it).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
For those of you using the n4 on at&t, do you have the tethering menus? On my N1, which I want to upgrade from, there is both a wired and wireless tethering option. Is it the same on the N4?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
And just an FYI as well, without the packet filter bloatware/spyware on, you can tether away on your unlimited plan (like I do) with no nerfing.

Yeah, that's how it is with the N1 I have, just hassle-free wired and wireless tethering.

Davidion

I dropped my Nexus 4 and wrecked the digitizer so now it's completely screwed. :(

If I want to get it fixed who should I go to, Google or LG? I'm in australia

This just happened to me today. I'm still stunned that a crack in the corner of the screen can completely disable the phone. Had I known this I don't think I would have bought the thing.

Look it's like a cool $150 to get this thing repaired...

wario

I dropped my Nexus 4 and wrecked the digitizer so now it's completely screwed. :(

If I want to get it fixed who should I go to, Google or LG? I'm in australia

This just happened to me today. I'm still stunned that a crack in the corner of the screen can completely disable the phone. Had I known this I don't think I would have bought the thing.

Look it's like a cool $150 to get this thing repaired...

dropped my phone last month and cracked the front glass. phone still turned on but the touchscreen was completely unresponsive.

so i bought this replacement screen + back frame, followed this tutorial, and just fixed it myself.

it's not as difficult as you'd think it would be... just gotta be really careful. plus, you'll learn a great deal about how this phone is put together.

yesterday i blew my mind by accident

i yanked the nexus 4 charger cord from the power outlet and i thought i ripped the wire out of the bulky part (the actual plug)

but then i found that there was a USB 2.0 head at the other end of the wire and saw an insertion slot for that on the plug

its a USB transfer cord and electrical outlet charger hybrid

now i can transfer stuff between my nexus 4 and computer

uhhhhhhh

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
What country are you from? I'm asking in case LG has different chargers for different regions. I thought all N4 packages include 1 N4, 1 charger, 1 USB cord and 1 Sim eject tool.

A question to you guys with crazy battery life: do you use any kind of IM service?

Whatsapp is on 24/7, but notification sounds and pop ups are off.

For anyone concerned about this annoying bluetooth issue, I've been participating somewhat in a Google Group discussion on the topic, and a company rep confirmed last week that Google is aware of the issue. Hopefully that means will get a fix either with the next Google Now update or with KLP (or 4.3 JB - whatever they call it).

Thanks for the update.

moka

yesterday i blew my mind by accident

i yanked the nexus 4 charger cord from the power outlet and i thought i ripped the wire out of the bulky part (the actual plug)

but then i found that there was a USB 2.0 head at the other end of the wire and saw an insertion slot for that on the plug

its a USB transfer cord and electrical outlet charger hybrid

now i can transfer stuff between my nexus 4 and computer

uhhhhhhh

I realised this pretty much as soon as I took the charger out of the box. In fact, I think the wire comes unattached to he plug - you have to attach it yourself.

Kibbles

My screen cracked, slipped out of my pocket onto the basement floor, had to be not much past a foot drop. :( Back to my Infuse 4G I suppose. Touch screen doesn't work, anyway can I like nuke my phone through USB to remove everything?

Davidion

You'd be stuck with a dumbphone then, probably, since this is a potential outcome for pretty much any glass-based touch screen.

I have dropped my S3 multiple times from similar heights with no cracks or lack of responsiveness. I've dropped my old G2 multiple times, without a case, with no issues other than cosmetic dents. Comparably, multiple friends have had various smartphones with cracked screens, some across the entire screen, that are still perfectly responsive.

There's been some noted fragility with this phone; and it's reputation has held unpleasantly in my case. It's certainly not just a smartphone thing.

dropped my phone last month and cracked the front glass. phone still turned on but the touchscreen was completely unresponsive.

so i bought this replacement screen + back frame, followed this tutorial, and just fixed it myself.

it's not as difficult as you'd think it would be... just gotta be really careful. plus, you'll learn a great deal about how this phone is put together.

I've opted for a slightly more expensive route and am having my friend, who works at a repair shop, do it for me. Honestly, the entire assembly costs 120-130 as is, and the actual work cost doesn't amount to all that much.

I don't know, maybe I'll change my mind and take a stab at it myself. I've done all of my own minor electronics repairs in the past; somehow this instance is just that much more discouraging.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Nexus 4 number 8 on the way. The screen turned off and won't turn back on even though the phone is on. Tried hard resetting it but that did nothing.

LG, never again. 8 Nexus 4s folks, EIGHT. All since Dec 14/2012.

Like the hone boots up to the Google logo, then the X logo then black screen.

Nexus 4 number 8 on the way. The screen turned off and won't turn back on even though the phone is on. Tried hard resetting it but that did nothing.

I have news for you about the nexus 5 lol.

Geez. I'd definitely hop on the HTC one in that case.

Groof

How the hell can anyone have had so many issues?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I'm so fucking depressed about this. I'm so tired of having to redo the setup up process every couple of weeks.

I'm trying to get my money back right now. Hopefully Google can understand that after 8 is enough.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm so fucking depressed about this. I'm so tired of having to redo the setup up process every couple of weeks.

I'm trying to get my money back right now. Hopefully Google can understand that after 8 is enough.

Just root it and do a Nandroid back up. There, easy to keep being neurotic every time your new one arrives.

Top Bottom