• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

twofold

With regards to the battery, I think once the final version of the OS comes out along with rooting, things will be great.

Won't that mean having to deal with potentially buggy and unstable roms?

One of the reasons why I love the iphone is that there is no fucking around with settings; it works really well out of the box.

The idea of Having to mess around with roms and stuff to get your phone working well is seriously offputting.

Won't that mean having to deal with potentially buggy and unstable roms?

One of the reasons why I love the iphone is that there is no fucking around with settings; it works really well out of the box.

The idea of Having to mess around with roms and stuff to get your phone working well is seriously offputting.

I understand that and for me, I don't mess around with the nightly experimental roms because like you, I just want stuff to work. When there is a new CM RC, that is when I start flashing. If anything, stick to the final versions of CM and you will be satisfied.

So is there any confirmation if the thermal throttling is intentional or its a software issue. Has anyone from Google made a comment on this?

There is an XML file that handles when the phone should throttle. So yes, it is software related but no one knows yet what the impact will be on the phone if you raise the default values.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
So is there any confirmation if the thermal throttling is intentional or its a software issue. Has anyone from Google made a comment on this?

Kiraly

Nobody knows, we'll have to wait till Google releases the updated kernels/final software just before release.

hitsugi

I feel like I need to get one of these in my hands before committing to switching from the iPhone 5.. I wonder if tmobile stores will have them on display

DieH@rd

Banned
I wonder if Google/LG cheaped out on the heat spreader on the Nexus 4? It seems like the Optimus G is getting better benches, which to me would mean that either the thermal throttling kicks in at a lower temperature, or that the Optimus handles the heat better than the Nexus 4.

Hopefully it's more of the former than the latter.

Its former, at least acording to anand.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sending out review units with non final firmware screams rushed job to me. And the phone needing a significant firmware update out of the box? Weak.

hitsugi

Sending out review units with non final firmware screams rushed job to me. And the phone needing a significant firmware update out of the box? Weak.

Yeah, that was a terrible decision. We won't really know how the phone "officially" performs until a day or so before it goes up for purchase. Also, chrome being notoriously slow is a whole other issue. If you're going to make that the default, you should make sure it is on par with your competition.... Not half the speed.

That's been the story of pretty much every Nexus device. Google announces a new version of Android when it's nearly done, then rushes to finish it on-time. The fact that it's still not in AOSP leads me to believe that it might launch with 4.2.1.

That said, I wouldn't say the phone needs a significant firmware update; all the reviews were positive in terms of polish/smoothness. It's just the kernel-level refinements that seem unfinished at the moment.

hitsugi

That's been the story of pretty much every Nexus device. Google announces a new version of Android when it's nearly done, then rushes to finish it on-time. The fact that it's still not in AOSP leads me to believe that it might launch with 4.2.1.

That said, I wouldn't say the phone needs a significant firmware update; all the reviews were positive in terms of polish/smoothness. It's just the kernel-level refinements that seem unfinished at the moment.

I think people are mostly concerned with battery life and its poor throttling settings which stagger the quad core to below even dual core standards.

Blablurn

first step is done. sold my iphone 4 for exactly 300€. gonna spend 50 more to get the 16GB version. i think 8GB could work too but i just wanna get sure in the end. omg, hopefully shhipping wont take too long :( dont have a mobile phone right now.

first step is done. sold my iphone 4 for exactly 300€. gonna spend 50 more to get the 16GB version. i think 8GB could work too but i just wanna get sure in the end. omg, hopefully shhipping wont take too long :( dont have a mobile phone right now.
Wtf. 300 euros? That's $380 Canadian and I can't even ditch my FACTORY UNLOCKED 4S for $450.

I feel like I'm asking for too little. $500 seemed decently fair enough considering the phone was $750 tax in a year ago. Damnit.

Bunch of lowbalin Craigslist dicks offering me $400. Yeah okay.

My phone is literally in brand new condition. Not a scratch or scuff to be found.

:(

Yeah if I get rid of my phone this weekend ill be using my 3G until the nexus arrives. Oh the horror of going back to that piece of shit.

Blablurn

Wtf. 300 euros? That's $380 Canadian and I can't even ditch my FACTORY UNLOCKED 4S for $450.

I feel like I'm asking for too little. $500 seemed decently fair enough considering the phone was $750 tax in a year ago. Damnit.

My phone is literally in brand new condition. Not a scratch or scuff to be found.

Yeah if I get rid of my phone this weekend ill be using my 3G until the nexus arrives. Oh the horror of going back to that piece of shit.

i was surprised too, man! a buddy of mine asked and i went directly for 300. he agreed instantly which surprised me too :D but hey, i take it!

hitsugi

I sold my 16 gig 4 for $230.. $300 is high for a 4.. But $400 is about right for a 4s. Have you checked eBay?

I sold my 16 gig 4 for $230.. $300 is high for a 4.. But $400 is about right for a 4s. Have you checked eBay?
Will never sell on ebay with what I hear from gaffers that it has become super risky for sellers now. Scammers haven. No thanks. Factory unlocked for $450 seems reasonable. I'm getting a few more bites now so I think I'll be okay.

wario

how good is corning gorilla glass 2 in terms of scratch-resistance?

u guys think it'd be alright if i went with no screen protector for the nexus 4?

i currently have a screen protector on my phone and i definitely feel a difference in the responsiveness.

u guys think it'd be alright if i went with no screen protector for the nexus 4?

i currently have a screen protector on my phone and i definitely feel a difference in the responsiveness.
I haven't used a screen protector on my smartphone in years. Just don't put it in the same pocket as keys or anything that can scratch it constantly, and you'll be perfectly fine.

I always thought screen protectors were excessive in this day and age, unless you know you will face real dangers every day for the screen.

well, it's craigslist. you're gonna get a bunch of lowball offers.

Hieberrr

Yes the sim is Micro Sim. I can't say I am that bothered about the camera, never really understood why a camera became a necessity on a mobile phone in the first place. As far as I am concerned a camera is just a novelty, it is cool to have and I will probably use it to take the odd shot now and again which I am sure this camera will be more than capable of.

Urgh still 5 days till we can order it, I have my micro sim sorted, I have my credit card at the ready and I cannot wait to ditch this SGS. The 13th can't come fast enough.
The SGS ain't so bad. I have one :p using MIUI 2.4.20 (the last gingerbread build) gave my phone a whole new life. It pisses all over CM10 IMO. The keyboard is unrivaled. The music player is top-notch. Tabbed browser is the shit. SMS app that lets me send delayed texts is beautiful. The list goes on ;)

DXPett1

Will never sell on ebay with what I hear from gaffers that it has become super risky for sellers now. Scammers haven. No thanks. Factory unlocked for $450 seems reasonable. I'm getting a few more bites now so I think I'll be okay.

Someone just paid AUD400 for my GNex + Official Desktop Dock so there are plenty of buyers out there

Why throttle the phone to this extent though...seems strange.

Believe it or not, thermal throttling in phone SoCs exist for the same reasons that thermal throttling exists in Intel and AMD CPUs. When the chip gets too hot, it throttles back to prevent damage to itself. This is why you can make your PC slow down and crash by opening it up while it's running and removing the heatsink. The CPU is getting too hot, it knows it, it throttles back, and eventually THERMTRIP is triggered and the computer freezes because the CPU shuts down to prevent self-immolation. I can make my Galaxy Nexus thermal throttle too, all I have to do is hit the max OC of 1650mhz and run AnTuTu Benchmark for awhile. The phone gets crazy hot too, which is pretty obvious evidence something is toasty inside.

Anand reported during their tests that the N4 got really hot to the touch, that's pretty obvious evidence something is toasty inside. And by something, I mean the Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC. I just hope that the shipping production units aren't getting as hot otherwise a lot of soon-to-be owners will not be pleased.

DieH@rd

Banned

“I took a set of keys, a fork and a pocket knife to the front and back glass panels of the Nexus 4 and couldn’t get a scratch to show up anywhere.”
www.wired.com/reviews/2012/11/google-nexus-4/

Sen²

Anand reported during their tests that the N4 got really hot to the touch, that's pretty obvious evidence something is toasty inside. And by something, I mean the Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC. I just hope that the shipping production units aren't getting as hot otherwise a lot of soon-to-be owners will not be pleased.

Golem.de writes that the Antutu App reported a temperature of 60° C and sometimes even higher, during their testing. No idea whether that's much ;).

Golem.de said:
Die Temperaturmessung im Antutu-Tester zeigt bisweilen über 60 Grad Celsius an.

twofold

Believe it or not, thermal throttling in phone SoCs exist for the same reasons that thermal throttling exists in Intel and AMD CPUs. When the chip gets too hot, it throttles back to prevent damage to itself. This is why you can make your PC slow down and crash by opening it up while it's running and removing the heatsink. The CPU is getting too hot, it knows it, it throttles back, and eventually THERMTRIP is triggered and the computer freezes because the CPU shuts down to prevent self-immolation. I can make my Galaxy Nexus thermal throttle too, all I have to do is hit the max OC of 1650mhz and run AnTuTu Benchmark for awhile. The phone gets crazy hot too, which is pretty obvious evidence something is toasty inside.

I do wonder what will need to be done to avoid thermal throttling. Disable 2 of the cpu cores? Underclock the gpu?

It really seems that, in a bid to declare their phone most powerful, Google/LG chose an soc that is inadequate for the housing. These throttling and heat issues shouldn't exist in the first place.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there a scroll to the top gesture like you can do on iOS when you tap the status bar?

No. But scrolling in Android is incredibly fast. Way faster than iOS. The gesture would be nice, though.

60 C is 140 F.

In general, it's not easy to find thermal design limits for phone SoCs. Thermal design limits on PC CPUs are pretty vague, Intel CPUs are notorious for having incomprehensible ones. The Ivy Bridge Core i7s have a Tcase of 67 C, and if you know a bit about Intel OCing you know that this number is frequently worthless for knowing how hot it's safe for a CPU to get. However the phone SoCs have a bit a wrinkle there, they aren't attached to huge heatsinks and fans blowing off cool air like PC CPUs, and the owner of the PC isn't basically holding the CPU in his bare hands.

In practice, there's no way to know if you are physically damaging your phone's CPU until you've actually cooked it. The SoC will THERMTRIP long before that happens and your phone will just freeze and you'll have to pull the battery. I used to do this to my old Droid X, that sucker could hit 1.5 ghz for the lulz but I would run Stability Test for about 3 minutes and the phone got so hot I couldn't touch it and then crashed.

The realistic scenario with a phone is, how hot does the phone get before you can't hold it without scalding yourself? The N4 hit 60 C (140 F) in that test. For reference, water boils at 100 C (212 F). Now I don't care much if the Core i7 in my gaming PC hits 60 C, but I'm not holding the CPU in the palm of my hand. It's different for phones from a simple practicality standpoint, even if the phone SoC isn't physically hot enough to self-immolate, it would be uncomfortable to try and hold. I don't particularly relish the idea of holding something thats 60 C in my hand, it sounds a bit painful. That's probably what drives phone designers in terms of what they will set the thermal throttle to.

JordanKZ

It's kind of shocking how hot this phone is getting. I mean, the S4 Pro was kind of designed to stay as cool as possible... Makes you wonder what happened here.

Let's just hope they push out a 4.2.1 on release day that fixes some of these problems.

The Optimus G disables some of its cores when not in use, perhaps this feature has not been enabled on the current software that the preview units are running? The OTA update is due to hit tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see some updated impressions tomorrow evening from various news outlets/blogs etc.

My micro SIM cutter arrived today, I'm almost ready for Tuesday now, just hope that Google ship them out quickly as I would like it before I go away on Friday.

panda21

is there a side by side comparison with the HOX screen anywhere? i love the hox screen, better than amoled imho, but i'm not sure if its the colours or the closeness to the glass that i like.

Doopliss

The Optimus G disables some of its cores when not in use, perhaps this feature has not been enabled on the current software that the preview units are running? The OTA update is due to hit tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see some updated impressions tomorrow evening from various news outlets/blogs etc.
That would affect the battery life of the phone but probably not the temperatures it reaches, because presumably it's only getting hot when it's under load.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Review units are missing entire features that are supposed to be in 4.2, such as being able to put widgets on the lock screen, pinch-to-zoom in Gmail, etc.

Review units are missing entire features that are supposed to be in 4.2, such as being able to put widgets on the lock screen, pinch-to-zoom in Gmail, etc.

So it's not even really 4.2 on the review phones...wow

Well, I can't buy this until December anyway, so plenty of time to know how things are going.

Mazre

Pretty sure I'll be upgrading (and switching to TMobile) from my Evo. Think I'll take the prudent course and wait till Christmas though, let any potential first run/firmware issues get shaken out.

giga

No. But scrolling in Android is incredibly fast. Way faster than iOS. The gesture would be nice, though.
I see. Is the fast scrolling speed the same in all apps?

Chrome, twitter, rss, etc.

Also, I assume this will only be sold through the play store? Google charging shipping is ridiculous. Tax is kind of a bitch too when I use amazon for 90% of my shopping.

Also, I assume this will only be sold through the play store? Google charging shipping is ridiculous. Tax is kind of a bitch too when I use amazon for 90% of my shopping.

How is charging shipping ridiculous?

no, Google charging $300-350 for a Nexus 4 is ridiculous.

Vyer

Like in certain apps? Comparing Chrome to safari, for example, it seems pretty much the same, if not smoother in safari.

Every other major company waives the shipping charge. I guess I can give google a pass here considering they aren't making a killing on hardware like apple does. But I mean even amazon or best buy etc have free shipping on purchases over $30-$40.

You serious? They already aren't making much money on the phone and people are crying foul on something as petty as paying shipping? I've seen it all now.

Sounds like one of those people who win a free TV and bitch about having to pay shipping. Give me a break.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium

I am aware that PC cpu's do this to not burn it out. I think this is the first time I heard of it being an issue on a phone. I am a little disappointed that even it is not matching the Optimus G in benchmarks. This phone being stock should blow by everything. Heck why even put a quad core in it.

Anyways wondering if this is going to be available to purchase anywhere else besides the play store. For those who have ordered from Play store how long do they take on shipping?

You serious? They already aren't making much money on the phone and people are crying foul on something as petty as paying shipping? I've seen it all now.

Sounds like one of those people who win a free TV and bitch about having to pay shipping. Give me a break.
I said I give google a free pass because they aren't making much of anything on the nexus 4.

To play devils advocate though...best buy and amazon don't make anything on a lot of items (video games for example sell for almost cost at 59.99) and they still ship them out free. Tons of items aren't being sold for almost no profit by those companies and they still cover shipping. Some would argue that google have more money in the bank than best buy to afford to cover shipping.

At the end of the day, $10 in shipping isn't going to make the nexus 4 a bad deal. Still a bargain.

Top Bottom