• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

DagsJT

Had a quick look on the summary on Android Police and not many new features that I'll actually notice so not in a hurry to upgrade. I'll wait until Carbon Rom is updated.

Groof

My phone's not syncing Hangouts, and even other apps, even though all settings remain as they always have been. Also I get errors while trying to update apps from the Play Store. Any help?

Edit: I fixed it.

PaulLFC

My phone isn't picking up 4.3 yet, can you still use the trick from the last update to force it (something like delete data for Google Services framework and then turn off location access)?

JonnyBrad

My phone isn't picking up 4.3 yet, can you still use the trick from the last update to force it (something like delete data for Google Services framework and then turn off location access)?

Don't do the wiping framework thing it will break push notifications on some of your apps for a few days. The easiest way to do it is go to xda and get the OTA zip and sideload using adb. Works without root.

And now running 4.3. Pain in the arse to update to it, I was running Franco kernel and despite re-flashing stock kernel and restoring the stock powerhal file it just would not flash. Instead I had to download the factory image, pull the boot and system image files and flash them, then apply the OTA.

Still, that's part of the fun of being on Android I guess! :)

Anyway, despite 4.3 not being heavy on new features, some of the kernel brewers over at XDA think that the work done to the kernel itself is justificaton of updating.

Faux123
- As I mentioned before, Power/Battery drivers have been completely replaced by better versions from CAF
- GPU KGSL upgrades,
- USB/HSIC upgrades,
- WiFi driver upgrades,
- Touch Driver / Firmware upgrades,
- Video driver (Framebuffer) upgrades,
- Camera Driver upgrades,
- Sound Driver upgrades,
- Bluetooth Driver updates,

This is the biggest updates from CAF yet for Mako.. (basically, CAF re-coded whatever crap from LG). From the kernel's perspective, this is almost a different phone with all the driver/firmware updates....

Franco
4.3 is huge for Mako on the Kernel department. Never seen an update this big in a while on any devices I've owned before. From all the other improvements the new Touch firmware makes me never wanting to stop touching the N4... now it feels as it should've shipped in the beginning.

They must've started from scratch for the N7ii and then ported over to the N4. Looking forward to seeing if performance and battery and noticeably different.

SimleuqiR

And now running 4.3. Pain in the arse to update to it, I was running Franco kernel and despite re-flashing stock kernel and restoring the stock powerhal file it just would not flash. Instead I had to download the factory image, pull the boot and system image files and flash them, then apply the OTA.

Anyway, despite 4.3 not being heavy on new features, some of the kernel brewers over at XDA think that the work done to the kernel itself is justificaton of updating.

Faux123
As I mentioned before, Power/Battery drivers have been completely replaced by better versions from CAF
- GPU KGSL upgrades,
- USB/HSIC upgrades,
- WiFi driver upgrades,
- Touch Driver / Firmware upgrades,
- Video driver (Framebuffer) upgrades,
- Camera Driver upgrades,
- Sound Driver upgrades,
- Bluetooth Driver updates,

This is the biggest updates from CAF yet for Mako.. (basically, CAF re-coded whatever crap from LG). From the kernel's perspective, this is almost a different phone with all the driver/firmware updates....

Franco

They must've started from scratch for the N7ii and then ported over to the N4. Looking forward to seeing if performance and battery and noticeably different.

Shiiiiiit! Well, phone does not feel any different to me. Weird, probably the first update I don't get a "placebo" effect out of. Even the battery seems to be nominal in how it's draining.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
anyone have any luck updating on T-Mobile yet? I keep clicking the check for update and nothing. broke my glass back the other day already ordered and waiting for the replacement hope its easy to install.

so they updated the sound drivers. can anyone confirm if music playback and call quality is louder or not ?

Why not just take the factory image for 4.3 and flash the system/boot IMG from there, instead of flashing the 4.2 factory, then applying the update?

Shiiiiiit! Well, phone does not feel any different to me. Weird, probably the first update I don't get a "placebo" effect out of. Even the battery seems to be nominal in how it's draining.

It feels much smoother to me. It doesn't chug after a full day of open apps and such. I haven't tested battery yet.

First day of 4.3. Poweramp doesn't work, neither does MXPlayer, but I'm sure they'll be updates to fix them soon. Otherwise the phone feels a lot smoother to use. Everything feels a bit more.... buttery. Only thing that lets it down is the performance of Chrome. Oh how I miss AOSP browser.

Can't comment on battery life, I ran a few 3DMark benchmarks today which drained quite a bit of juice. Also found out the SuperSU I had installed had a bug which caused CPU to run at 100% for no reason. That's been fixed now, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Why not just take the factory image for 4.3 and flash the system/boot IMG from there, instead of flashing the 4.2 factory, then applying the update?

Sorry,didn't make it clear, that is what I did. Pulled boot and system image from 4.3 factory image and flashed, then applied the update.

kehs

Banned
Wow, the "turn off notifications" aren't persistent through reboots for applications that want to show them all the time.

I'm about to uninstall roundr because of it.

>=|

Groof

Wow, the "turn off notifications" aren't persistent through reboots for applications that want to show them all the time.

I'm about to uninstall roundr because of it.

>=|

Aww man that's shit. Turned off Apex's option to keep it in memory because of that...

anyone have any luck updating on T-Mobile yet? I keep clicking the check for update and nothing. broke my glass back the other day already ordered and waiting for the replacement hope its easy to install.

so they updated the sound drivers. can anyone confirm if music playback and call quality is louder or not ?

zEvFAAB.jpg
Haven't installed yet.

SRG01

Running 4.3 since yesterday. Radio is improved significantly, and WiFi no longer goes to sleep randomly even when the keep awake checkbox is marked.

cube444

Great. My N4 is now fucked. I held off for ages not going to 4.2.2 as I didn't want to lose LTE. I rarely if ever used it so I just installed 4.2.2 and then got the notification that 4.3 was pushed to my phone. I just installed 4.3 and now when I'm told to input my 4 digit security code to unlock the phone, it goes to the Google X rather than unlock my phone. It stays on that colorful X for 10 seconds and then goes back to my lock screen.

Rinse and repeat.

Help!!!

Got the OTA update and it ruined my phone. Apex launcher with all of my settings will no longer work and I can't download anything from the Play store anymore. Fuck this noise and fuck Google with this amateur hour BS. I've had it :(

JonnyBrad

Got the OTA update and it ruined my phone. Apex launcher with all of my settings will no longer work and I can't download anything from the Play store anymore. Fuck this noise and fuck Google with this amateur hour BS. I've had it :(

Did you wipe services framework to get the ota faster?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
1h 42m. I don't think it's ever lasted me more than 8 hours.

All on 3G? That's not so bad. Install better battery stats and tell us what the same locks are.

I side loaded the update. Phone definitely feels a lot snappier. Not much else changed though. Lots of small changes.

Edit: connecting a Wiimote still broken. :(

Rebooted phone. Lost root. Damn it.

I updated SuperSU to the latest version 1.45. It asked me to manually reboot the phone. After that, I lost root and can't seem to root it again with the 1.43 zip file via recovery.

Anyone else having the same issue?

EDIT: Going back to 1.43 solved the problem.

Top Bottom