• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

giga

You serious? They already aren't making much money on the phone and people are crying foul on something as petty as paying shipping? I've seen it all now.

Sounds like one of those people who win a free TV and bitch about having to pay shipping. Give me a break.
Many online retailers don't charge shipping for things like phones. Tax is even more rare for those of us who buy from Amazon, Newegg, B&H, etc.

So when I get charged for shipping, that's disappointing. Google not making money on the item is not a concern to me--they made that choice. Their earnings release tell me they're a big enough of company (like Amazon) where they can waive shipping. It doesn't even have to be expensive two day shipping--they should give us a choice for standard ground service.

Edit: Google even charges a 15% restocking fee for returns. Both Best Buy (yes, even Best Buy) and Apple stopped doing that long ago.

Many online retailers don't charge shipping for things like phones. Tax is even more rare for those of us who buy from Amazon, Newegg, B&H, etc.

So when I get charged for shipping, that's disappointing. Google not making money on the item is not a concern to me--they made that choice. Their earnings release tell me they're a big enough of company (like Amazon) where they can waive shipping. It doesn't even have to be expensive two day shipping--they should give us a choice for standard ground service.

Edit: Google even charges a 15% restocking fee for returns. Both Best Buy (yes, even Best Buy) and Apple stopped doing that.

fuck the Nexus 4, get a Galaxy Note II. FREE SHIPPING!!!

You're suppose to be paying for taxes when you buy stuff at Amazon anyways! You could wait til it shows up locally at a Walmart or staples (they sell nexus 7/10). Besides, even tax/shipping, you wouldn't be able to get an awesome unlocked phone from amazon/newegg/anyonlineretailer for near the price of the nexus 4 even with tax/shipping. You could wait for Amazon's gimped phone. I bet that will go for under 4!

giga

fuck the Nexus 4, get a Galaxy Note II. FREE SHIPPING!!!
I'll need coperdickus' opinion on this.

You're suppose to be paying for taxes when you buy stuff at Amazon anyways! You could wait til it shows up locally at a Walmart or staples (they sell nexus 7/10). Besides, even tax/shipping, you wouldn't be able to get an awesome unlocked phone from amazon/newegg/anyonlineretailer for near the price of the nexus 4 even with tax/shipping. You could wait for Amazon's gimped phone. I bet that will go for under 4!
Hm, is Walmart going to sell the 4? I'd definitely prefer to get it there, since they give 90 days for returns and no restocking fee.

Hm, is Walmart going to sell the 4? I'd definitely prefer to get it there, since they give 90 days for returns and no restocking fee.

Not sure, but I imagine other retailers other than google will sell it, and walmart's return policy on electronics/phones is 15 days.

Ecto311

Best buy let me return phones all I wanted and had 30 days. They did say that the eligibility for a new one if you were upgrading went out the window after 14 days though.

Talon

I love the authority with which tech geeks answer questions about products they've never used much less held.

Not being caustic, genuinely find it amusing.

Best buy let me return phones all I wanted and had 30 days. They did say that the eligibility for a new one if you were upgrading went out the window after 14 days though.

You return stuff enough and they will catch on and not let you return anything for 4 months! How do I know you ask? Because it happened to me lol. Every return you make is logged in their system and eventually they will suspend returns for you if you do too many within a certain time frame. You even get a printout of the receipt that says it lol.

cube444

So I need to ask you Google experts. If I order the Nexus 4, who will they ship it to me with in Canada and is there more than one option? I can't stand UPS so they better not be an option.

You return stuff enough and they will catch on and not let you return anything for 4 months! How do I know you ask? Because it happened to me lol. Every return you make is logged in their system and eventually they will suspend returns for you if you do too many within a certain time frame. You even get a printout of the receipt that says it lol.
Give them a fake name next time. They have no right to know your name. They say its for auditing (tax) purposes but that's not your concern. You are now John Doe and you don't have a phone number. How can a company have a policy and then say you have no right to return something? Isn't a receipt like a contract?

Don't impersonate another person though and give someone elses name and that persons phone number. That's illegal.

twofold

Comparing the n4 and the iphone 5 using specs is mostly pointless. Only a few are relevant like the screen size and the physical dimensions.

For the UK folks - CPW will apparently sell the unlocked nexus 4 for the same price as the google play store. Its probably worth grabbing the phone from them.. I hear google's product support is atrocious.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I see. Is the fast scrolling speed the same in all apps?

Chrome, twitter, rss, etc.
Yes. Literally like four or so quick swipes will take you from the bottom of a 50 post GAF thread to the top in a couple of seconds, max. It's not as fast as tapping the status bar in iOS but it works.

Like in certain apps? Comparing Chrome to safari, for example, it seems pretty much the same, if not smoother in safari.

Posted from my iPad with my Note right next to me. Check them both out. Smoothness on the iPad, sure. But speed? I disagree.

kharma45

Comparing the n4 and the iphone 5 using specs is mostly pointless. Only a few are relevant like the screen size and the physical dimensions.

For the UK folks - CPW will apparently sell the unlocked nexus 4 for the same price as the google play store. Its probably worth grabbing the phone from them.. I hear google's product support is atrocious.

Hope they do, would be nice to just be able to pick one up in store.

Question: can I buy the phone from a Tmobile store without signing a two year agreement? If so, that may be the fastest way to get the phone this week.

What's the google play store checkout process like? I have never purchased anything from there before. Is there an account I have to create or does it just use my gmail account? Or can you checkout as a guest?

Should I be adding a credit card to my account now to enable some sort of 1 click checkout option like apple has? I bought my 4S in 5 seconds when the store went live and didn't have to fumble around with credit and address info because I enabled 1 step checkout. I just don't want to miss out on this phone.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
What's the google play store checkout process like? I have never purchased anything from there before. Is there an account I have to create or does it just use my gmail account? Or can you checkout as a guest?

Should I be adding a credit card to my account now to enable some sort of 1 click checkout option like apple has? I bought my 4S in 5 seconds when the store went live and didn't have to fumble around with credit and address info because I enabled 1 step checkout. I just don't want to miss out on this phone.

Not exactly 1 click, but if you set up google wallet beforehand with your gmail account, you can checkout with just a few clicks.

Do you have a source on this ? I know there is some talk about this happening on Reddit so I was just wondering if you had an "alternate" source. I would really love this to happen I don't fancy using my credit card to buy the phone from google and I would sooner just walk in on Tuesday, plonk my cash on the counter and walk out with my new phone.

twofold

Do you have a source on this ? I know there is some talk about this happening on Reddit so I was just wondering if you had an "alternate" source. I would really love this to happen I don't fancy using my credit card to buy the phone from google and I would sooner just walk in on Tuesday, plonk my cash on the counter and walk out with my new phone.

Just the guys at my local store. They said that its priced at 390ish in their system at the moment but they expect that to change once the phone come out.

Thanks. No google wallet in Canada so I assume they'll have something else for us. Or wallet will launch on that day for us to use.

I smell a clusterfuck next week with this launch.

Google Wallet is definitely available here. Tried adding an N7 to my cart and they already have all of my info, probably because I've bought some Android apps before.

walletl2ue8.png

Wish there was more info on in-store availability, though.

kitch9

Banned

Edit: Google even charges a 15% restocking fee for returns. Both Best Buy (yes, even Best Buy) and Apple stopped doing that long ago.

Boot hoo dude. Boo hoo...

zedge

Google Wallet is definitely available here. Tried adding an N7 to my cart and they already have all of my info, probably because I've bought some Android apps before.

walletl2ue8.png

Wish there was more info on in-store availability, though.

Hmm, so its cheaper to buy the 32GB N7 locally at Best Buy, its $269 + tax there. Its $259 + shipping + tax on Google Play.

hitsugi

Hmm, so its cheaper to buy the 32GB N7 locally at Best Buy, its $269 + tax there. Its $259 + shipping + tax on Google Play.

Looks like it'll be cheaper at retail stores due to shipping... but who knows when retail will have them

Vyer

Yes. Literally like four or so quick swipes will take you from the bottom of a 50 post GAF thread to the top in a couple of seconds, max. It's not as fast as tapping the status bar in iOS but it works.

Posted from my iPad with my Note right next to me. Check them both out. Smoothness on the iPad, sure. But speed? I disagree.

I'm using an iPhone 5 and N7 and I don't see it. Maybe we're looking at a difference depending in the application or screen size, I don't know.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm using an iPhone 5 and N7 and I don't see it. Maybe we're looking at a difference depending in the application or screen size, I don't know.
Maybe Chrome is the culprit. I don't use that crap.

Top Bottom