• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Doopliss

Maybe Chrome is the culprit. I don't use that crap.
Chrome has a much slower maximum scrolling velocity than the stock Android browser, and also has a worse framerate while scrolling, and also displays empty white space much more often if you scroll quickly. I'm sure it's more compliant with various web standards and renders pages with greater fidelity but I am happy to forgo that stuff for a little bit of optimisation.

Google Clarifies Nexus 4 / 10 Availability: Orders And Shipments Start November 13th, No Pre-Orders

Have you been chomping at the bit to figure out when you'll actually be receiving that Nexus 4 or Nexus 10 from the Play Store that you're definitely going to buy? Well, here's your answer, straight from Google: orders will begin for both on the 13th, and those orders will start shipping the same day. No pre-orders will be taken. So, if you go for overnight shipping, you could theoretically have sweet Nexus goodness the very next day - November 14th.

The exact time orders will be starting wasn't provided to us (we wouldn't bet on midnight - probably more like early morning), so there's still some uncertainty, but it'll obviously be early enough in the day for some orders to actually ship.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been on a Triumph for 7 months and my mom got an Galaxy SII and it's just better at everything. Having a quick working GPS is blissful. The OS is nice as well.
So... I think I'll probably bite on the Nexus4 8GB model. I don't store more than 500MB of music/video on my phone and don't care of mobile games.

I'll have to upgrade from my $35 a month plan on Virgin to a StraightTalk $45 a month plan on AT&T though.

Can this do tethering, or will it need to be rooted?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Looks like I'll be doing the midnight F5 refresh dance :)

The exact time orders will be starting wasn't provided to us (we wouldn't bet on midnight - probably more like early morning), so there's still some uncertainty, but it'll obviously be early enough in the day for some orders to actually ship.

Looks like we will be in for a long night. :p

twofold

So, this is the dilemma.

Trust random CPW staffer and hope that they are actually selling the phone.

Or, buy from the Google Play Store.

I think this is phone is going to sell out really quickly - if CPW don't match the Play Store price, it could be a long wait before the Play Store gets more stock in.

Decisions, decisions..

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I remember the Nexus One had free overnight shipping. It was also $530.

can't wait - going to sell off my verizon 4S and switch over to tmobile for the 30/mo plan.. i don't talk on the phone anyway

too bad i work midnights.. going to have to sit around f5ing it all night instead of working :)

Sen²

Looks like Android Police and the guys at XDA agree in thinking that the N4 won't go up for sale at midnight but rather at the morning.

Does anyone remember what it was with previous Nexus devices?

f0rk

It says at the bottom of the Google site all prices include VAT so it should be cheapest there if people are marking it up.

cube444

Cause for concern?:

There have been many reviews of the LG Nexus 4 since its official announcement however there is yet to be a proper teardown. Hence why this may have been overlooked. A recent review of one photo of the internal parts of the LG Nexus 4 by an XDA member has led to some questions about how LG put the device together. It seems that corners may have been cut so as to keep the price of the LG Nexus 4 down, and it’s not just lack of storage or LTE that we’re talking about.

Link

GJS

Cause for concern?:

Link

The only part that I haven't seen posted here was the tape.

IMO, why would LG make it easy for users to replace things and waste money polishing that when it is not designed to do so. Better to save money and increase profitability by using techniques that staff are trained in.

The_Joker

this shitty phone costs 550€ here in austria...and you germans only have to pay 350€ for the 16gb version... anybody here who can help me out buying two? :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am VAT exempt but I don't know if the German Google Play Store will acknowledge this fact. And I don't think the US Google Play Store ships internationally. I might have to get someone in the US to ship it to me.

Zeppu

I am VAT exempt but I don't know if the German Google Play Store will acknowledge this fact. And I don't think the US Google Play Store ships internationally. I might have to get someone in the US to ship it to me.

Don't know if it helps but I managed to get my Galaxy Nexus and a friend of mine just pre-ordered an N4 from handtec VAT free by supplying them with a VAT number.

Bboy AJ

Don't know if it helps but I managed to get my Galaxy Nexus and a friend of mine just pre-ordered an N4 from handtec VAT free by supplying them with a VAT number.

£279? Damn, that's like $450 USD. Ouch :(

LG is still LG I see.
This is what's concerned me more than anything since day 1 of seeing this phone. Call me petty or whatever but some days I really can't shake that this phone is made by LG. This would be an automatic big fat NO for me in any other case. But since every small detail and part of the phone is mostly overseen by Google, and this really is a Google phone just "glued" together in LG hands; I've decided to go for it and trust Google on this that they wouldn't let LG be LG with their flagship device. If that makes any sense...

LG alone would never get my money, though. Sorry, I've always heard bad things about their craftsmanship. My mother bought an LG tv over a Sony against my recommendation when they were both the same price. The LG was only 2 inches larger and she wanted bigger because of course bigger equals better, right? What a fool. 1 year later the TV has a nice big purple scan line of sorts running down the screen. Piece of junk. I make sure to tell her "I told you so" everytime she turns on the TV and has to look at that.

I'm really starting to flip-flop with my decision now. :/

Still got my 4S.

In TheVerge unveiling video, it made it look like Google designed this phone from the ground up, but they just got LG to manufacture it for them.

twofold

There's always going to be a risk with every new piece of electronics. If you don't want to risk getting a dud piece of kit, either wait a few months or go buy something that has already been proven to be robust and reliable.

OddSpoon

Banned
Nexus 4? I am getting ready to buy the Galaxy S3 this week. Should I wait?

(Currently using an HTC One V, very slow - can't have multiple apps open without it being painfully slow - Skype doesn't work on it)

Top Bottom