• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Sen²

Google are charging £10 for delivery on the Play Store in the UK?

Man :(

Looks like it :/. I would be fine with it if that price translated into a fast delivery but according to the (German) website it's going to take approximately 2-3 days. Being used to Amazon Prime this will fee like an eternity. Nothing we can do, I guess.

kharma45

Sen²;44221152 said:
Looks like it :/. I would be fine with it if that price translated into a fast delivery but according to the (German) website it's going to take approximately 2-3 days. Being used to Amazon Prime this will fee like an eternity. Nothing we can do, I guess.

Yeah being quoted 2-3 days here in the UK too, if it was guaranteed next day I could sort of understand but it's pretty shit to charge that and it arrive at frankly a leisurely pace.

Chili

Yep, it was next-day shipping in the UK with the Nexus 7 even though they claim 2 - 3 days. Of course that was once they actually shipped it - they were extremely slow with the Nexus 7.

Knowing google they have 10 phones ready for the first wave. Then a month later they'll release the next wave of 20 phones. Some people who order on day 1 will get there's in 2 months, surely.

Marco1

hitsugi

The nexus 4 for the price is a beast.
Can't wait too see and hear peoples opinions on it.
This phone should really shake the mobile phone and carriers industry to it's core but I know it won't.
Wouldn't it be great if everyone run out and bought one after cancelling their contracts and going sim only?

It would be great, but a lot of people don't want to or can't afford the upfront cost of breaking a contract. My wife and I would have to pay close to $700 to break both of ours.

Now, over the span of 2 years at a cheaper plan, we'd actually be saving something like $1,000.00 by breaking the contracts... it's just hard to swallow that initial cost.

rabhw

It is kind of ridiculous that Google charges $20 for GROUND shipping in Canada. Where do they even ship Canadian orders from... California? Where did / do N7 orders ship from?

It is kind of ridiculous that Google charges $20 for GROUND shipping in Canada. Where do they even ship Canadian orders from... California? Where did / do N7 orders ship from?
I can't remember exactly where but it did ship from the USA. And yeah 20 bucks was ridiculous.

rabhw

I'll be buying two Nexus 4s and a 10,but can't decide whether I want to take a chance ordering from Google or if I should wait to see if retailers start selling it, thus avoiding ridiculous shipping charges and probably getting it earlier too!

Before the 7 released though, there were product pages for it on Best Buy and staples, so far nothing for either of these new devices...

But since Google was unable to cancel orders (ROFL) and customers have to refuse delivery then wait for a refund, maybe it's better to wait.

Arrrgh the dilemma :-(

Knowing google they have 10 phones ready for the first wave. Then a month later they'll release the next wave of 20 phones. Some people who order on day 1 will get there's in 2 months, surely.
Damn is it that bad? Are you saying this from experience with the nexus 7 I guess? Hopefully they're not underestimating the amount of people wanting this phone and the process goes smoothly.

Were servers hammered when the nexus 7 went live? I mean it's google! You'd expect them to have enough servers for this type of launch.

Damn is it that bad? Are you saying this from experience with the nexus 7 I guess? Hopefully they're not underestimating the amount of people wanting this phone and the process goes smoothly.

Were servers hammered when the nexus 7 went live? I mean it's google! You'd expect them to have enough servers for this type of launch.
the nex7 had pre-orders and shipping times were erratic as hell regardless of when you placed your ordered (I placed mine day 1 and got it a whiiiiiiile after launch). So if they messed up pre-orders, god knows what's going to go down with everyone just rushing for it on launch day.

BUT maybe they'll surprise us and they solved their weird organization problems. ButI'm expecting a clusterfuck of some sort, just hoping I get lucky.

Chili

I think they learned a lot from the Nexus 7 launch. I believe that is why they aren't doing preorders. They now know exactly how many they have and will be able to give an accurate dispatch date when ordering. I hope.

Cipherr

I think they learned a lot from the Nexus 7 launch. I believe that is why they aren't doing preorders.

Yep, Ill bet thats the reason there are no pre-orders this time. They did that with the Nex7 and it was a madhouse. This time if they fly through their supply, you'll just get a 'sold out' message instead of a completed order that doesnt ship for 2 weeks.

liger05

Comparing the n4 and the iphone 5 using specs is mostly pointless. Only a few are relevant like the screen size and the physical dimensions.

For the UK folks - CPW will apparently sell the unlocked nexus 4 for the same price as the google play store. Its probably worth grabbing the phone from them.. I hear google's product support is atrocious.

That confirmed? My friend said he went into CPW on friday asking about the phone and nobody could confirm they were going to be stocking it.

twofold

That confirmed? My friend said he went into CPW on friday asking about the phone and nobody could confirm they were going to be stocking it.

Unfortunately not. Different stores seem to be saying different things. I think the Play store will end up being the best option.

renitou

My mother bought an LG tv over a Sony against my recommendation when they were both the same price. The LG was only 2 inches larger and she wanted bigger because of course bigger equals better, right? What a fool. 1 year later the TV has a nice big purple scan line of sorts running down the screen. Piece of junk. I make sure to tell her "I told you so" everytime she turns on the TV and has to look at that.
Not for nothing, but you sound like an insufferable asshole in this anecdote.

Rouh

GETTIN MAH JUNIOR ON
Yeah this time they aren't taking any preorders so I guess there will be less of a clusterfuck

Also, it is absolutely not advertised, anytime, anywhere. It's only on the Google Play store and that's all, hell if not for this thread I wouldn't know about it (and this thread is only 20 pages of discussions) so there should be less problems

Doopliss

Yeah this time they aren't taking any preorders so I guess there will be less of a clusterfuck

Also, it is absolutely not advertised, anytime, anywhere. It's only on the Google Play store and that's all, hell if not for this thread I wouldn't know about it (and this thread is only 20 pages of discussions) so there should be less problems
I've seen ads a bunch of times when doing Google searches, and I think I've seen some ads on GAF for the whole Nexus range.

Not for nothing, but you sound like an insufferable asshole in this anecdote.
Hey, if a non-tech-savvy person asks me for a TV recommendation between a Sony Bravia and the equivalent LG model at the same price point and they choose the LG despite my repeated warnings, and that TV ends up defective after a year...then yeah they're a fool and I'll let 'em know about it. Guess I'm an asshole then. Anyways, I don't wanna derail this thread.

the nex7 had pre-orders and shipping times were erratic as hell regardless of when you placed your ordered (I placed mine day 1 and got it a whiiiiiiile after launch). So if they messed up pre-orders, god knows what's going to go down with everyone just rushing for it on launch day.

BUT maybe they'll surprise us and they solved their weird organization problems. ButI'm expecting a clusterfuck of some sort, just hoping I get lucky.
Okay, I'm absolutely holding on to my iPhone 4S until I get the nexus in my hands. I don't want to sell it and risk being without a phone for too long. Rather not have to go back and use my old 3G if I can help it.

Google has had full page ads in the NY Times advertising the new Nexus range (the 4, 7, and 10)

twofold

Hey, if a non-tech-savvy person asks me for a TV recommendation between a Sony Bravia and the equivalent LG model at the same price point and they choose the LG despite my repeated warnings, and that TV ends up defective after a year...then yeah they're a fool and I'll let 'em know about it. Guess I'm an asshole then. Anyways, I don't wanna derail this thread.

According to Consumer Reports, both Sony and LG have a 3% failure rate when it comes to LCD TVs. She was just unlucky.

If you read AVSforum.com, there are people having problems with practically every TV model - it's all luck of the draw when it comes to these things.

hrm, i'm up for an upgrade right now on t-mobile

do i get an s3 on upgrade, or this n4 without the upgrade? cost will probably be about the same...

Rouh

GETTIN MAH JUNIOR ON
Google has had full page ads in the NY Times advertising the new Nexus range (the 4, 7, and 10)

Nothing here in France: no big TV ads, no billboard and all (or I missed them), it seems abnormaly quiet (actually, even the 7 wasn't really pushed here). Especially as Google do a lot of TV ads for Chrome and the Google echosystem (Gmail, Youtube, etc.). Curious about the situation in other European countries

SRG01

The nexus 4 for the price is a beast.
Can't wait too see and hear peoples opinions on it.
This phone should really shake the mobile phone and carriers industry to it's core but I know it won't.
Wouldn't it be great if everyone run out and bought one after cancelling their contracts and going sim only?

I was sitting in the theatre yesterday for Skyfall, and I overheard some guys behind me saying that they're skipping the iPhone 5 because the Nexus 4 was $300.

aznpxdd

So, any word if the battery life actually improves with the software update? I'm pretty much sold on this phone outside of the mediocre battery life.

cevansdust

Neo Member
So, any word if the battery life actually improves with the software update? I'm pretty much sold on this phone outside of the mediocre battery life.

I second this question. The battery life is the deciding factor for me at this point. I have a broken phone that I would love to replace this week and battery life is a huge issue for me. I'm stuck deciding between this or the Lumia 920.

TehOh

I've seen a couple of different answers now, so I thought I'd check here:

I currently have an iPhone on AT&T, with the grandfathered iPhone unlimited data plan. If I buy the Nexus 4, can I just pop in my sim card and expect the new phone to work?

My contract is expired, and I don't want to have to renew it just to switch phones.

Top Bottom