• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

tigerin

I've seen a couple of different answers now, so I thought I'd check here:

I currently have an iPhone on AT&T, with the grandfathered iPhone unlimited data plan. If I buy the Nexus 4, can I just pop in my sim card and expect the new phone to work?

My contract is expired, and I don't want to have to renew it just to switch phones.

i heard at&t has their own data plan for iphone which doesn't work for other phones. if anything, you can just go toward the straight talk path since your contract expired.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
why he didn't place the phones in the order listed in the title is beyond me..

Is that the GSIII getting smoked or the Nexus 4? These things look damn near identical.

Oh wait, i'm stupid, it's not a GSIII at all! Stupid Galaxy name threw me off.

It's pretty easy to tell which is which - the GNex is the only of these phones that can actually display black as black. On the N4 and iPhone 5 everything black is rather grey. Going from the GNex to the N4 is definitely gonna be a step back on that front (love the deep blacks on the GNex screen - the notification and navigation bars almost entirely blending in with the bezel is a sweet effect, and you won't get that on the N4), but hopefully everything else will be a big leap forward.

You forget how slow the galaxy nexus is... Damn O_O

Yeah, the GNex has never been a very high-performing phone. Even at release its internals were pretty outdated; it didn't even have a GPU as good as the SGS2, which was released several months earlier. But despite that the GNex is still the smoothest Android phone this side of the N4, and it has become smoother and smoother with every update. Software definitely beats raw power on that front, although it's a different situation with things like demanding 3D games of course.

You call this tax ? That's like tax free - in Poland they are stealing 23% tax from my purchases.

25% here in Sweden! Only Hungary has higher VAT I believe, at 27%.

Blablurn

im seriously fucked if i cant order it tmw. i think its the first time since 10 years that i dont have a phone :( so damn annoying :D

coooome on google. just one more day till we can order that thing.

Hieberrr

im seriously fucked if i cant order it tmw. i think its the first time since 10 years that i dont have a phone :( so damn annoying :D

I know that feeling man. I forgot to charge my phone once and went a whole day without it. Felt super weird.

You'll probably have no trouble ordering it. I'm sure they took into consideration the demand for it when they started producing it.

rc213

I got a iPhone 3GS just in case I can't get the Nexus 4 tomorrow. I will probably have to use it a day or two if I do get a Nexus 4 anyways :x

Blablurn

I know that feeling man. I forgot to charge my phone once and went a whole day without it. Felt super weird.

You'll probably have no trouble ordering it. I'm sure they took into consideration the demand for it when they started producing it.

i guess you are right! plus i havent seen too many ads here in germany so far (just a couple of online ads). so i doubt many people are gonna go for it tmw.

Google product launch without hitches? naaaaaah!

Pretty annoying they pushed back the OTA to the 13th, would've been nice to get some previews of the phone on the final software build before launch.

Going to be strange going back to LCD after over two years of SAMOLED. I will miss the black levels. :-(

Knight77

Sorry if this has been already pointed out before.

Is really curious the behaviour of LG in the distribution in Europe.

Google is gonna sell the Nexus 4 via Playstore in the countries where the store is active but what in the normal shops? And what about here in Italy where the Playstore is selling only music, books and apps? Here is the answer: LG is gonna sell the Nexus 4 at €599 RRP (760 fucking US Dollars!!!).

They didn't announced it, they started doing it "underground" with the buyers of the big chains like Mediaworld, Euronics etc.

Then the word started spreading and the shit hit the fan: the facebook page of LG has been used by all the possibile users with questions and (many) insults. Many blog started writing articles about it and about how un-fair it is.

Then started the reactions from the retailers: PhoneHouse the biggest mobile seller company in Spain annouced that does not intend to sell the Nexus 4 because the LG price.
( http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/1...ock-the-nexus-4-as-lg-hikes-its-retail-price/ )

After days of insults on the web and protest by the retailers LG start doing something: in Germany find an agreement with Mediamarkt (biggest electronic chain) to sell it at €399,99 (507 USD), remember that in Germany the Playstore is active for the hardware part. But in Italy their tactic is different: they called one by one all the main blogs and "persuaded" them in some way that the price is right because...

- LG didn't know the price Google was going to sell the phone
- LG would like to sell it cheaper but the big chains want 35% of margin (this is bullshit since I am a supplier in another category of products but I know that maybe is 3.5% not 35 for the cellphone...)
- LG has to pay the sales part, the curiers, the other parts of the company involved in a retail shop distribution of the product
- LG would like to sell it cheaper but Google doesn't help them for the retail
- The Phone actually cost a lot and €349 (445 USD) is a "cost" price, selling it at that price they would earn 0 (...)

So the main bloggers started writing this but the reation of the people online was even harder than before, because they looked like beeing bought by LG. Indeed after one or two days these LG-Friendly articles appeared online they have also been invited by LG in the headquarter to shoot a "hands-on" video of the phone, not done by the bloggers but by the PR of LG...

The general opinion in the end is that LG is taking marginal advantage over the final customer where the Playstore is active and selling the phone, and extream advantage where the Playstore is active but not selling the Nexus 4. People (and myself) would be agree to pay a bit more, like €399 but is already streched when the US price converted is €274 for the 16GB one and Asus sold the Nexus 7 at $249 in US and €249 here.

Obviously is many days that LG is deleting the post on facebook, not only the one containing only "bad words" but also the normal request of explanation of this price list.

Just as last information: no one can by a phone via Playstore from one country to another, because it must be paid with a credit card of that country and shipped to someone in that country. Yes with some (big?) effort you can find a way but is hard and in the end you're gonna play more, sensibly more.

Because of all this I must admit that my interest about the Nexus 4 is almost 0 right now, not only because of the price but mainly by the idea of giving money to LG, to me they don't deserve it. I really was attracted by the idea to change the phone, even if my Xperia S is not that bad, but at this point I'll be more interested about HTC One X or wait for Sony Xperia V or even wait end of January and see the new Sony. Yes I'll wait for the official android update, yes won't be a nexus and all this piss me off but they are really nice cellphones and at least I won't give money to LG, the only power customer has in this situation is...don't buy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is such bullshit about how Google won't let me order from the US just because I'm in Germany. I have a US billing address and I'm a US citizen. I don't want to use a proxy because of security issues.

I hope stores in Germany have this phone so I can use my VAT exemption form. I'm not paying that 19% pimp tax.

Sen²

My bet is they'll open midnight PST...

Possible. 00:00 PST is 09:00 CET, I think. Somehow time zones still confuse me ;).

This is such bullshit about how Google won't let me order from the US just because I'm in Germany. I have a US billing address and I'm a US citizen. I don't want to use a proxy because of security issues.

I hope stores in Germany have this phone so I can use my VAT exemption form. I'm not paying that 19% pimp tax.

Have you considered using a reputable VPN service? TunnelBear, for example, has a free plan with a 500MB cap. I myself used it to signup for Google Music living outside the US.

Cipherr

Google is gonna sell the Nexus 4 via Playstore in the countries where the store is active but what in the normal shops? And what about here in Italy where the Playstore is selling only music, books and apps? Here is the answer: LG is gonna sell the Nexus 4 at €599 RRP (760 fucking US Dollars!!!).

They didn't announced it, they started doing it "underground" with the buyers of the big chains like Mediaworld, Euronics etc.

Then the word started spreading and the shit hit the fan: the facebook page of LG has been used by all the possibile users with questions and (many) insults. Many blog started writing articles about it and about how un-fair it is.

Then started the reactions from the retailers: PhoneHouse the biggest mobile seller company in Spain annouced that does not intend to sell the Nexus 4 because the LG price.
( http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/1...ock-the-nexus-4-as-lg-hikes-its-retail-price/ )

After days of insults on the web and protest by the retailers LG start doing something: in Germany find an agreement with Mediamarkt (biggest electronic chain) to sell it at €399,99 (507 USD), remember that in Germany the Playstore is active for the hardware part. But in Italy their tactic is different: they called one by one all the main blogs and "persuaded" them in some way that the price is right because...

- LG would like to sell it cheaper but the big chains want 35% of margin (this is bullshit since I am a supplier in another category of products but I know that maybe is 3.5% not 35 for the cellphone...)
- LG has to pay the sales part, the curiers, the other parts of the company involved in a retail shop distribution of the product
- The Phone actually cost a lot and €349 (445 USD) is a "cost" price, selling it at that price they would ear 0 (...)

So the main bloggers started writing this but the reation of the people online was even harder than before, because they looked like beeing bought by LG. Indeed after one or two days these LG-Friendly articles appeared online they have also been invited by LG in the headquarter to shoot a "hands-on" video of the phone, not done by the bloggers but by the PR of LG...

The general opinion in the end is that LG is taking marginal advantage over the final customer where the Playstore is active and selling the phone, and extream advantage where the Playstore is active but not selling the Nexus 4. People (and myself) would be agree to pay a bit more, like €399 but is already streched when the US price converted is €274 for the 16GB one and Asus sold the Nexus 7 at $249 in US and €249 here.

Obviously is many days that LG is deleting the post on facebook, not only the one containing only "bad words" but also the normal request of explanation of this price list.

Just as last information: no one can by a phone via Playstore from one country to another, because it must be paid with a credit card of that country and shipped to someone in that country. Yes with some (big?) effort you can find a way but is hard and in the end you're gonna play more, sensibly more.

Because of all this I must admit that my interest about the Nexus 4 is almost 0 right now, not only because of the price but mainly by the idea of giving money to LG, to me they don't deserve it. I really was attracted by the idea to change the phone, even if my Xperia S is not that bad, but at this point I'll be more interested about HTC One X or wait for Sony Xperia V or even wait end of January and see the new Sony. Yes I'll wait for the official android update, yes won't be a nexus and all this piss me off but they are really nice cellphones and at least I won't give money to LG, the only power customer has in this situation is...don't buy.

Wow that sucks. LG claiming that selling the phone at $445 would be selling it at cost sounds ridiculous. If thats the case then they are claiming Google is taking a $115 loss on each of the phones sold on the Play Store? LG is definitely lying.

This is being handled pretty badly. Google needs to get the Play Store available worldwide.

Wow that sucks. LG claiming that selling the phone at $445 would be selling it at cost sounds ridiculous. If thats the case then they are claiming Google is taking a $115 loss on each of the phones sold on the Play Store? LG is definitely lying.

This is being handled pretty badly. Google needs to get the Play Store available worldwide.

remember you can't compare the US price to the EU price, Google sells it for €299-€349 in EU countries with a Play Store. plus, Google really wants your credit card info on file so you can easily buy games, apps, movies, tv, books and music from your brand new nexus 4. LG doesn't have the added bonus of a Play Store to offset initial sale price. i dunno what the retail markup is, but 3.5% sounds really low... that's videogame console low, and that market is offset by games and accessory markup...

Knight77

I'm not comparing the price, it was just to give an idea. I would buy it at €349, no problem. Is a problem when telling lies you want to take advantage of the fact we don't have the playstore selling it +250€...

About the margin more or less with these chains is around 24% for applications, 20% movies, 25% games, plus something. On the hardware the margin is much lower and I'm not talking only about Console but also PC/Notebook and cellphone.

Anyway is how LG handled all this that is ridiculously unprofessional and bad for the its image. They already had a bad nomea here with their attidute of selling phones and never update them, plus very bad customer care, and other things. This was the chance to regain trust but looked like they took the chance to play dirty and get more money.

The whole blog thing was quite easy to spot out and made the whole situation worse. Now with Mediamarkt Germany selling it at €399 how can we pretend we can't see it? It's quite close to Italy. But yeah I already imagine LG "You pagliaccio Italiano buy phone 599! Mangia pasta and play mandolino and be happy"...

Rourkey

- The Phone actually cost a lot and €349 (445 USD) is a "cost" price, selling it at that price they would earn 0 (...)

Cant you just buy it from the UK store for example?

giga

Called my local tmobile and they said they're not selling it. He did point me to one store like an hour away that will sell it, but said it will be higher than googles price--off contract.

Looks like play store is the only option.

Cant you just buy it from the UK store for example?

2nd to last paragraph.

Called my local tmobile and they said they're not selling it. He did point me to one store like an hour away that will sell it, but said it will be higher than googles price--off contract.

Looks like play store is the only option.

yeah, it's $500 off-contract at T-Mobile USA stores. $150 T-Mobile tax! but hey, it's free shipping if you pick it up in-stores!

Falch

Excellent post.

I'm basically in the same position you're in; there's no Google Store in the Netherlands either. I live close to the German border, so I'm hoping to get it for a decent price just over the border at Media Markt, but I'm not holding my breath. 350€ is fantastic price for the N4, but if it's much more than that for me, I'm probably waiting to see the new Sony phones too.

giga

2nd to last paragraph.

yeah, it's $500 off-contract at T-Mobile USA stores. $150 T-Mobile tax! but hey, it's free shipping if you pick it up in-stores!
Jesus. I wouldn't be so hesitant to buy it from google if their shipping and return policies weren't so archaic. That's what's I get for the price I guess.

felipeko

I will be going to USA in february, and i will want to buy Nexus 4, will it be possible with my international credit card, if i'm shipping to US?

Yeah don't use a proxy, I did the same to order the Nexus 7 from the UK store with my UK credit card to pick up when I travelled back there a couple of weeks later. Some bastard instantly went to Mercedes Benz and spent a couple of grand (all sorted now).

If you are exempt from tax then can't you just claim it back when you file your tax return in Germany? That's what I'll be doing. As far as I understand you are supposed to pay tax when you bring electronics into the EU from the US anyway.

Also surely it's worth getting here so you don't have warranty issues. The laws about returns are really good here in Germany,

falastini

I currently have an iPhone on AT&T, with the grandfathered iPhone unlimited data plan. If I buy the Nexus 4, can I just pop in my sim card and expect the new phone to work?

My contract is expired, and I don't want to have to renew it just to switch phones.

They have separate iphone and android data plans, so you have to call them to swap, but you should be able to hold onto your unlimited data plan. At least that's what they told me. Call them yourself to be sure.

hitsugi

I'm still iffy about ordering day 1.. mainly because I haven't been able to see one in person, and the final 4.2 isn't out D: but there's the question of - "If I don't order day 1.. when will day 2 be?" which begs the question of what's the supply vs demand scenario going to be like and how difficult will it be to get one of these after the initial launch? who knows

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The question of when "day 2" will come, is the reason I'm ordering it tomorrow without seconds thought. I would also like to see how the final update runs, but I would rather have it now, then wait (potentially) again for it to be available.

abunai

I hope it's tonight. I got class early tomorrow morn and dont want to order this on my phone. Wish they could just tell us.

What I'd like to know is how it will affect shipping for me (UK). If it's midnight PST, that's 8am here, so it's likely the phone should at least be prepared for dispatch, if not actually dispatched on the same day. However, if it's 9am PST, that's 5pm here so they wouldn't probably process it until the next day..

twofold

https://plus.google.com/101607164549546362845/posts/bRgzm92SVX7

With Google Translate..

Hi - here's an important lesson for anyone interested in purchasing one of the new Nexus device. 4 The Nexus smartphone, the new Nexus Tablet 7 and 10 Nexus Tablet may know, starting tomorrow (Tuesday, 13 November 2012) on Google Play purchased in Germany. I look forward to just as many of you :) As I learned today, the ordering is, however, only on Tuesday released afternoon / early evening. So it makes no sense today to persevere at midnight in front of computer to buy a Nexus device. I like to keep you informed as soon as I get new information.

So, 9am pst prolly.

(Should note - I'm going to stay up til midnight anyway.. Just in case!)

DaNcaKe

Just checked in my local CPW and there was no display models or ETA on when they'll have them in. The guy said the PLU wasn't even on the system so it'll be 1-2 weeks at least before they're in stock. Obviously I can't say that it's like this across the UK but it's pretty concerning.

The worst part was that he didn't fully convince me that he knew anything about the phone, as he offered the N7 as an alternative. When I told him it wasn't a phone his reply was "Oh, right."

Play Store day 1.

Maiar_m

I find it strange that sales are handled as if they were all processed by Google Inc., Mountain View. I mean, it's not like every country with a Play Store didn't have its own Google antenna, which should be more than able to receive and dispatch allocated stocks in the first place. It's all good a pretty to act like a retailer, but Google should consider what being a retailer actually means sometime.

Just checked in my local CPW and there was no display models or ETA on when they'll have them in. The guy said the PLU wasn't even on the system so it'll be 1-2 weeks at least before they're in stock. Obviously I can't say that it's like this across the UK but it's pretty concerning.

The worst part was that he didn't fully convince me that he knew anything about the phone, as he offered the N7 as an alternative. When I told him it wasn't a phone his reply was "Oh, right."

Play Store day 1.

I checked the Broadway store near Astor Place in NYC and no signs of the N4.

la_briola

Media Markt (they are everywhere) will have it for 399€. I think this is the 16GB model.

Mahzkrieg

Banned
i was really excited to get one of these, but a bad battery kills any phone for me.
I use my phone heavily throughout a day and I need it to last.

My Desire Z with a double battery lasts me from 7am to 11pm with heavy usage.
But it feels like a brick.

asdad123

Yes it should work. It worked perfectly fine when I popped the sim out of my 4s and put it in my Unlocked Galaxy Nexus and while I switched back and forth.

Top Bottom