• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

You're not Faceless
he's right though

except i wouldn't have said anything about a Sony Nexus... who wants a Nexus with an S3 inside?

Why do so many people hate LG?

they've never heard about how solid the Optimus One and Optimus Black were hardware wise and always talk about LG as if their hardware was terrible when the problem has always been their software...

Mostly ignorance. LG are fine. I'll repost something I typed in another thread:

You know who's currently making MUCH worse Android phones than LG? SONY, that's who. Problem is, Sony are currently Android FOTM for reasons that I can't fathom, so you won't hear any ill-informed anecdotal bullshit about build quality when it comes to the Xperia range.

Sony gets love because they contribute more to Android than any other OEM.

No LTE in 2012 gets you docked in reviews gentlemen. Plenty of people can live without it, but thats unimportant. It should have been an option for those who wanted it.

It messes up the "Nexus" part of the phone since carriers can fuck with the updates, but oh well, if folks are ok with that, give them a version with LTE. Same with MicroSD storage. Google can miss me with the excuses.

if they want a phone with LTE and carrier fuckery, they can get the Optimus G

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's hilarious that this phone is being compared to the latest and greatest high end phones that cost nearly twice as much. It's also amazing that it manages to compete with them. Price wise, its competition is the Galaxy Ace 2, the S3 mini, the HTC One S and other midrange phones, and those phones aren't anywhere as good as the Nexus 4

Yep. Baffles me how people are quick to cry no LTE. Okay, I get it, it doesn't have LTE. That sucks. But it's priced accordingly. Far more accordingly.

Google had to eat it somewhere. They failed with the GN LTE. This is their next move. They feel this move will get them somewhere. The LTE fiasco last year got them no closer to their goal.

Damned if they do. Damned if they don't. They tried the LTE way. It failed. Now they're trying the other way.

It's hilarious that this phone is being compared to the latest and greatest high end phones that cost nearly twice as much. It's also amazing that it manages to compete with them. Price wise, its competition is the Galaxy Ace 2, the S3 mini, the HTC One S and other midrange phones, and those phones aren't anywhere as good as the Nexus 4.

Yup. China Unicom should work without any problems.

It doesn't help with google saying its the fastest smartphone out, and it's googles flagship phone phone

You now see why it's being compared to everything?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It doesn't help with google saying its the fastest smartphone out, and it's googles flagship phone phone

You now see why it's being compared to everything?

It's okay comparing it to everything. It's their flagship phone. But price is a major factor. I don't understand how it's being ignored in these reviews. It's literally the best feature for the phone. It's a game changer. Completely unprecedented. If it catches on, it could change the wireless industry.

Of course, it probably won't.

Of course.

HJOb9.jpg

Any word on the price for the charger?

Cudder

Looks like a great phone, but I'm in a money-saving-mode right now. My Galaxy Nexus will do just fine until next years model, or maybe even the year after that. Getting 4.2 on my GNex will ease the pain a bit.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm assuming this phone has the same tethering menu that my nexus one has? So I can tether without paying extra? Or did google remove that menu from nexus devices?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Tethering has remained in all Nexus devices.

I know at&t sent people with jailbroken iPhones text messages telling them they had to get a tetherig plan if they tethered, is it the same for these nexus devices?

I just want to know if I can stick my sim card in, go to the tethering menu, and start sharing my connection with no issues or having to change my plan like I can do with my nexus one.

Rouh

GETTIN MAH JUNIOR ON
I think that I'll jump on the ship as i don't want to have a contract right now and that seems a pretty awesome price point for such a device

As for the LTE thing, I just don't understand the annoying obsession with it by Pyromaniac in this thread. I don't know where you are where it's everywhere (I really want to know) but here in Europe it's still extremely lacking. For example for what i know in France, one of the main markets in Europe, it will be implemented gradually in some cities in 2013, hell I think in Paris it won't be until summer 2013 due to some negotiations with the city.

So between a phone that lack LTE, a non primordial feature for now at 300/350€ and one with it but more expensive (by i dunno 100+ €), the choice is pretty clear, for Google and for the customer. Let's wait for next year (at least) and than we can talk about this problem, if it is one if there is no update by google of their phones

Kiraly

Fuck all of you in Google Play countries

- Swedish web shops with prices above €500
- Androidworld.it with news of an Italian price of €599
- Spanish Phone House catalogue with a price of €599
- Indian LG sales representative with a price above €500
- Austrian price from LG of €549

Rouh

GETTIN MAH JUNIOR ON
Holly shit! didn't knew that! Actually I never used Google Play. The first time i checked it out is to see if they propose the Nexus 4

Of course the conversion $/€ sucks, seriously doesn't make sense, but at least the price is still low to what you say

However, I sense that the lunch will be a big clusterfuck if there is a big demand

Chairhome

I just realized that I can sell my current phone for the price of this off-contract. I'm considering doing this. I have a One S right now.

twofold

As for the LTE thing, I just don't understand the annoying obsession with it by Pyromaniac in this thread. I don't know where you are where it's everywhere (I really want to know) but here in Europe it's still extremely lacking. For example for what i know in France, one of the main markets in Europe, it will be implemented gradually in some cities in 2013, hell I think in Paris it won't be until summer 2013 due to some negotiations with the city.

The US is in a shitty position because their 3g networks are awful and LTE is in the process of being rolled out in a number of places over there.

Here in Europe, our 3g networks are significantly better with higher data speeds and lower latency so it's not as big of a deal. DC-HSDPA is really quick and should be more than enough for most people.

Anyone know the return policy on the nexus? Could I theoretically try it out for a week or two and return it for full money back no questions asked like the iPhone?

It's not sold in stores so not sure if I'd have to pay shipping or they cover that within the return period. And if the original shipping to me is also refunded.

derder

Strange. Could you just buy one on ebay with international shipping?

Its over €450 here in Sweden :'( wish it was as cheap as the rest of the world :((

Sweden is in the EU right? So it should be possible for you to import from one of the bigger countries without paying customs duty. Then you just have to pay €350 + €10-20 shipping (I suppose).

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yeah, the lowest price seen here in Sweden so far is about €490. Even factoring in our 25% VAT and the fact that we always get to pay more for electronics, that's just a total ripoff. I guess it's understandable that prices go up a bit when the phone is sold through retailers rather than directly by Google (sucks that they don't do that everywhere), but it still should simply not be more than €400 or so.

Sweden is in the EU right? So it should be possible for you to import from one of the bigger countries without paying customs duty. Then you just have to pay €350 + €10-20 shipping (I suppose).

Yeah, importing from Germany or the UK would definitely be possible, but then you get the problem of no local warranty, which would really suck if there's any issue with the phone. And I definitely don't expect every N4 sold at the start to be flawless, the GNex sure as hell wasn't.

strata8

If there's a negative point about how Google priced this device, I'll like to hear about it.

I just don't like the idea of selling something like a smartphone at a loss in order to be competitive in the marketplace. None of the other manufacturers sell their phones at this price because, well, they can't.

ektoll

I find it hard to criticize the N4 when it's half-price... Google won me with this. I was considering a WP8 phone but honestly, 500€ for a phone is too much imho. But, I might buy a low-end windows phone for my girlfriend, this way, I could also play with this new os ;)

The only thing that could make me reconsider it with the N4, it's if the camera is really bad. For me, it's a very important feature, that's why I was really looking forward to the Lumia 920, but... That price point... ;__;

Rouh

GETTIN MAH JUNIOR ON
I just don't like the idea of selling something like a smartphone at a loss in order to be competitive in the marketplace. None of the other manufacturers sell their phones at this price because, well, they can't.

So you would prefer to pay more for the phone, just for...? And who tell you they don't sell phones at those prices not because they can't but to have high margins, which is surely the case?

And it's either way a pretty widespread situation, at least in the VG side

As for the LTE thing, I didn't knew the situation in the US, which may explain the annoyance of Pyro. But this is a non-issue for now in Europe which is a bonus point for the phone when you see for example The Verge review. For this phone I'm just a little bit unsure about the "Gorilla case" and the return policy of Google for now

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
We don't know if it's sold at loss. Most smartphones are priced well, well above cost. Seeing how Google and Asus are making profits from the Nexus 7, I'm not sure the N4 will lose money.

Hieberrr

I think Google is more concerned with improving market share, development, and the Nexus brand name than maximizing margins.

renitou

Why are you worried about how megacorporations run their businesses?

Do you have a source for this info? It was officially announced that the N4 will launch in India end of Nov, but no hints on the pricing were given. I'm expecting $400 or so, since the Gnex (sold unofficially) costs roughly $375.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

As a consumer, I don't think I should care. If its a fantastic bargain for me, I win.

Totakeke

Well if you really really wanted to argue against low prices, it drives the products to be a commodity market where cost is the main factor, eroding profit margins, reducing opportunities for future development and instead creates a market where minor iterations and cost reduction is the main driver instead of new designs and innovation.

Not like that couldn't happen even with high profit margins, mind you.

Well looks like I'm responsible for shipping fees when returning the phone and google may even charge a restocking fee (lol fuck that) so ill just wait till I can find a way to get my hands on this phone somehow.

Well if you really really wanted to argue against low prices, it drives the products to be a commodity market where cost is the main factor, eroding profit margins, reducing opportunities for future development and instead creates a market where minor iterations and cost reduction is the main driver instead of new designs and innovation.

Not like that couldn't happen even with high profit margins, mind you.

What? So in order to foster innovation we should pay exorbitant prices?

I am sorry but if Apple has taught the world anything it is people are willing to pay for quality. Bring something quality to the table and I will pay extra.

If not then do one.

tirant

Its 299€ in google play store spain.

Well looks like I'm responsible for shipping fees when returning the phone and google may even charge a restocking fee (lol fuck that) so ill just wait till I can find a way to get my hands on this phone somehow.

The restocking fee is doubtful. A lot of companies say that but just waive that. Regarding shipping, I mean unless the unit was faulty and under warranty I'm not sure why you would think Google would pay shipping fees.

felipeko

When you take out retailer margin, carrier margin, marketing budget, your own margin and a feature that's expensive and causes logistical hell (LTE) of all phones, the price would come to $300 easily with the only man in the chain profiting being the OEM. I strongly doubt that Google is selling at a loss, as they said multiple times, they do it as cheap as they can (because they do not care to profit from selling devices).

When you take out retailer margin, carrier margin, marketing budget, your own margin and a feature that's expensive and causes logistical hell (LTE) of all phones, the price would come to $300 easily with the only man in the chain profiting being the OEM. I strongly doubt that Google is selling at a loss, as they said multiple times, they do it as cheap as they can (because they do not care to profit from selling devices).

And you use an existing phone as a starting point reducing costs further to get to market.

strata8

This makes more sense, thanks. I really like the idea of phones being sold separate from carriers and retailers and it's a huge plus if that allows the price to come as low as it has with the Nexus 4.

The restocking fee is doubtful. A lot of companies say that but just waive that. Regarding shipping, I mean unless the unit was faulty and under warranty I'm not sure why you would think Google would pay shipping fees.
I'm not sure. I could have sworn a company I deal with pays return shipping fees, but I may be wrong. Amazon maybe? Might have been a unique situation.

I don't have money to waste on shipping fees if I don't end up liking the phone. Hardware I'm sure ill like, it's the OS. I have only ever used andoid on an s3 and I hate that bloated piece of crap. I'm curious to see how stock android differs. That's why I want to test it out with no risk and it'd hopefully grow on me. I'll wait. Hopefully a carrier starts carrying it in Canada so I can buy/return locally.

Hieberrr

I'm not sure. I could have sworn a company I deal with pays return shipping fees, but I may be wrong. Amazon maybe? Might have been a unique situation.

I don't have money to waste on shipping fees if I don't end up liking the phone. Hardware I'm sure ill like, it's the OS. I have only ever used andoid on an s3 and I hate that bloated piece of crap. I'm curious to see how stock android differs. That's why I want to test it out with no risk and it'd hopefully grow on me. I'll wait. Hopefully a carrier starts carrying it in Canada so I can buy/return locally.
Stock is stock down to the bare minimum. Sometimes though, it's too bare and you wonder why obvious features are missing. It's miles ahead of Samsung's ROMs though :p

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Battery still seems to be better than my Nexus in the tests, but hopefully the poor tests are due to some software issue repairable via a firmware update.

Top Bottom