• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there a way to install the AOSP browser on this phone so I don't have to use shitty Chrome?

ScOULaris

Is there a way to install the AOSP browser on this phone so I don't have to use shitty Chrome?

Yes, you can Google "stock Jelly Bean browser apk" and find plenty of download links to the stock browser installer. Just open the apk and install it normally. I don't think it needs to be flashed as a system app or anything.

I just got an email from Google saying my phones have shipped. Ordered them 12:20 yesterday afternoon, tracking says FedEx in Hong Kong got the package that morning (HK is 3hrs behind Aus) and it's estimated to arrive 17:00 tomorrow. I was only expecting them to be shipped tomorrow at the earliest, so I'm pretty surprised to be receiving this early if true.

Wow, awesome news. Still early across the pond. Hopefully mine ships today!

i'm hearing rumors that people had their nexus 7 3Gs arrive today despite seeing no further update on their order on google.com. theres still hope!!!

maybe they just decided to prioritise shipping above all else and are shipping the shit out of them without bothering to emale people?

They just went up for sale yesterday...where are you seeing this?

F#A#Oo

Banned
The payment is no longer visible on my bank... The order still says pending in google.

Should i be worried?

Regards,

As long as you have an order number you're good. If you go to "My Order & Settings" at the bottom of the Play Store...it should have your current status.

I see ... man what a trainwreck for Google. I still can't believe that such a global player can embarass itself that much.

Thx for the answer though!

I see ... man what a trainwreck for Google. I still can't believe that such a global player can embarass itself that much.

Thx for the answer though!

Yeah it was pretty much a disaster. I tried getting a 16gb right went they went live but it was full of errors then I got a confirm page eventually then my cart empties lol. I then tried an 8gb model and the same thing happened. For some reason though the 8gb version went through and was charged to my account. Never got any confirmation on wallet, gmail, anything till like 45 minutes later lol.

The thermal throttling issue alone made me give up on this phone throw in the average battery and I was done. Great price though was really tempted, hopefully Motorola brings something great to the table in the next few months.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Android Open Source Project browser, it's the stock browser you get on android devices were it hasn't been replaced with Chrome.

As far as I know though, you can download it and install manually if need be.

I really haven't had any problem with chrome so far though, mostly I really appreciate the tab syncing.

Maiar_m

what so good about it?

No, the real question is "what's so bad about Chrome?". Basically, the stock android browser is often found to be the best mobile browser around. And Chrome is often laggy and heavy has shit.

Opera, Firefox, Dolphin HD and Boat are other options for your future android device.

derder

The thermal throttling issue alone made me give up on this phone throw in the average battery and I was done. Great price though was really tempted, hopefully Motorola brings something great to the table in the next few months.

Nah, man. Just wait a bit. I'm sure the community is going to come up with something; they always do.

I'm going to wait until after black friday before I look at buying this or a Nexus 10. I'm always the first to jump on new tech but it's worth it to wait a bit.

I ordered at a little before 1pm eastern time yesterday and outside of the initial order email, I haven't gotten anything yet like a shipment confirmation. Hopefully those continue to roll out as today progresses.

Edit: I know the question was for EuroGAF, but I'm from the US. Sorry for the confusion.

tigerin

No, the real question is "what's so bad about Chrome?". Basically, the stock android browser is often found to be the best mobile browser around. And Chrome is often laggy and heavy has shit.

Opera, Firefox, Dolphin HD and Boat are other options for your future android device.

i'm using chrome right now and it's pretty smooth for me. it looks clean and the swipe to switch tabs are pretty useful.

Maiar_m

i'm using chrome right now and it's pretty smooth for me. it looks clean and the swipe to switch tabs are pretty useful.

It's a question of preference. Also Chrome works very poorly on slightly older devices, so that can also explain some of its bad rap.

tigerin

It's a question of preference. Also Chrome works very poorly on slightly older devices, so that can also explain some of its bad rap.

if remember right, i wasn't able to download with my old mytouch4g on play store and i think it only has froyo or gingerbread.

panda21

I totally thought Chrome was fine and perfectly smooth, until I tried out another browser and realised how much smoother they are. dolphin is like a whole new world after using chrome (on my htc one x).

Chrome isn't unusable by a long way and the browser sync is really nice, but it gets trashed in all the benchmarks vs stock browser and is noticeably slower when you compare them.

They just went up for sale yesterday...where are you seeing this?

i read it in the XDA uk nexus 4 thread.

seems like mine isn't being delivered today though :'( WHY GOOGLE WHY?????

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
nex4-1.jpg

Weird. I only got charged for 2.

Google said a few weeks. XDA said a few days. I'm not sure who to believe and to which countries this applies to lol.

The few days comment is from a guy that spoke to Google Customer Services. He was informed that on Friday any "unsold" stock will be put up again for US customers. This is what the guy said :-

Nate Swanner said:
I just spoke with Google about the #nexus4 launch.
Please be patient. The Google Play Orders are based on one server, which understandably got bombarded. In addition to that, they are being cautious about orders. They learned their lesson with the #nexus7 launch, and are trying hard to avoid the same backlog of orders. Part of that is auditing the orders. Another part of that is their experience in Australia and the UK, in which the phones sold out in just over 20 minutes each time.
One incident was cited this morning in which a guy had 10 orders...of 4 phones...all processed withing 13 seconds of one another. I'm sure you can understand the issue there.
Didn't get yours? That's okay...neither did I...and neither did a lot of Google staff...yet (yes, they order phones just like the rest of us). You will, though...you will. If you don't get it today, the next scheduled release is in 3 days once they can get a better handle on orders and stock.

https://plus.google.com/106515095432315677569/posts/fAA6PNbUxCK

Then after that US and Euro customers will have to wait several weeks for new stock (well done Google nice supply chain you have there). The reality is no one knows what is going on with regards to new stock coming in and Google can only at best give vague PR BS.

panda21

if they pull a nexus 7 on this one I'm going to be so mad.

at least in the retail stores they are selling them for a lot more here, so its worth it to order through play.

I'm glad the Craigslist offers for my 4S have fallen through. I pulled my Craigslist ads now until I get the nexus 4 in my hands. Who knows when we're going to recieve our phones.

...and this is why people have complained about Google charging shipping. If your going to charge shipping, then at least get it right and done in a timely manner. May as well be sent by fucking carrier pidgeon.

I know it's still early! Has only been 24 hours for most of us. The estimate said 3-5 days. But looking at what some said about the nexus 7 shipping issues, I see the same thing happening with the nexus 4.

First world problems and all that but Apple would have had my phone from China to Kentucky already by now. It'd be in my hands tomorrow morning. ~_~

Top Bottom