• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So apparently there's already a report of a yellow-ish tint on the screen after it warms up a bit.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1990276

Did anyone have this issue with their iPhone and had it go away after the glue settled?
Seems like a minor issue from his photo. There's a lot I'm willing to forgive this phone considering that it's literally half the price of similar devices. Can't believe there's 12 pages of people there complaining about it.

IMO, GS3 OLED screen has far worse problem with image retention/burn in.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware

twofold

Has their been any tests done with the new update? Want to know if throttling issue was corrected or not.

The update did nothing to address the throttling. At this point, I'd be surprised if they can do anything to improve it.

My order is still pending. Is most others' orders still pending? US.

Mine is pending still (UK).

Apparently the people who's order status was changed to 'pre-ordered' are screwed and won't get a phone until the next batch comes in. Not good.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish Google just charged $15 more for the phone and offered free shipping so I wouldn't have to read the tears.

No, the real question is "what's so bad about Chrome?". Basically, the stock android browser is often found to be the best mobile browser around. And Chrome is often laggy and heavy has shit.

Opera, Firefox, Dolphin HD and Boat are other options for your future android device.

Yep. Chrome just feels clunky. It's not very light feeling.

---

My order is still pending. Is most others' orders still pending? US.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seems similar to iPhone 5 screen issue. Glue bonding screen and digitizer has yet to fully cure.
http://www.cultofmac.com/192299/does-your-iphone-5-screen-seem-yellow-dont-worry-overmuch/
I'm not sure if it's the same thing. The incomplete glue curing on iphone produces an overall yellow tint that goes away as the screen cures. It's independent of the working temperature of the phone as far as I know.

The issue with N4 might be that there's something very hot under the screen on that spot and it creates color distortion due to concentrated heat. It could go away as the glue settles more, but it could be a permanent problem too, I think. On the other hand, I don't think it's all that visible, at least on that photo it isn't, and it would go away as soon as the phone cools down a bit.

Chili

I'm still 'pending' in Wallet with an estimated shipping/delivery date (the wording changes whether I'm on English UK or US) of 15 Nov. My order went in at 08:18GMT. Kinda weird how a select handful of people randomly got theirs today.

The issue with N4 might be that there's something very hot under the screen on that spot and it creates color distortion due to concentrated heat. It could go away as the glue settles more, but it could be a permanent problem too, I think. On the other hand, I don't think it's all that visible, at least on that photo it isn't, and it would go away as soon as the phone cools down a bit.

You may be right, but a French Android site noted the same yellow issue on their screen but their "yellow spot" was in a completely different area than the XDA guy's. In other words, it's probably not something getting too hot behind the screen, since if it was, the yellow spot would probably be in the same section.

GJS

Looks like Euro-land is already shipping both the 4 & 7 according to XDA. Ugh looks like Europe > US confirmed. Cmon Google get with it

For like four people so far for the Nexus 4, with almost no correlation between when they ordered and when it was dispatched. The rest of us in the EU are all sitting looking at pending orders still.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Did anyone buy the bumper? I'd be interested in it if it covers up the chrome trim. Or, rather, I'd be interested in a cheaper eBay knockoff that's just as good.

Chili

I went for the bumper exactly because it looked like it covered up the chrome trim.

I am amazed not only at the randomness of the dispatching but the pace of it. They seem to be sending out about a dozen a day. Unless they massively up the speed tomorrow there are going to be a lot of disappointed folks.

Bboy AJ

This phone is the true successor to the N1. Smashing specs, good build quality. The NS was a rebranded Galaxy S released months later and the GN was a carrier Trojan horse, with different versions floating around everywhere.

Ecrans-noirs1-630x626.png

Ecrans-blancs-630x626.png

I wish I still had an amoled. Look at that GN black screen. Beautiful.

kingmozo9

Banned
i was looking forward to this phone , and researching nothing but this phone for 3 weeks,i sold my 4S and everything, so now i have no phone. but the google play star fiasco has left me crushed (i pressed refresh so many times, but no result!). and rumours that it wont be restocked for weeks... : /

i'm just gunna buy a Galaxy S III , sure it costs more , but tbh why should i wait 2 - 3 weeks longer when i should have it now , poor me LOL

Maiar_m

You should at least post your order time though so we can see if Google are just randomly shipping these orders again instead of doing it as they were received.

Yeah I know, I was just kidding the guy.

I'm from France, my order got through at 8.37am, I think I was one of the first to succeed at least on EuroGaf. I didn't order a bumper nor a nexus 7 / 10, just the one 16GB Nexus 4.

i was looking forward to this phone , and researching nothing but this phone for 3 weeks,i sold my 4S and everything, so now i have no phone. but the google play star fiasco has left me crushed (i pressed refresh so many times, but no result!). and rumours that it wont be restocked for weeks... : /

i'm just gunna buy a Galaxy S III , sure it costs more , but tbh why should i wait 2 - 3 weeks longer when i should have it now , poor me LOL

A couple people here have extra ones...not sure if you could convince them to sell you one (reasonably priced I mean lol)

Blablurn

its almost the same here... sold my iphone 4 last week. life without a phone is annoying. especially if u ride the train a lot.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I wish I still had an amoled. Look at that GN black screen. Beautiful.

Not so sure it's a good option for a phone TBH. Looking at S3 in the store, I've noticed a horrendous burn-in, in areas of screen where the demo loop was running on it. White color was also nowhere near as bright as it was even on my iphone 4, much less on an iphone 5 nearby, especially when you look at predominantly white screen like on a web browser.

I truly think IPS LCD is the best option for a phone right now.

This phone is the true successor to the N1. Smashing specs, good build quality. The NS was a rebranded Galaxy S released months later and the GN was a carrier Trojan horse, with different versions floating around everywhere.

Yeah, that's my impression too. I jumped on the Nexus One train and loved it. Even though it had some drawbacks. Skipped the Nexus S and its why I'm dumping the Galaxy Nexus so soon even thought the GNexus is a good phone. 4 caught me completely off guard.

Yeah, that's my impression too. I jumped on the Nexus One train and loved it. Even though it had some drawbacks. Skipped the Nexus S and its why I'm dumping the Galaxy Nexus so soon even thought the GNexus is a good phone. 4 caught me completely off guard.

++ I skipped the nexus s...did not seem good. I like the galaxy nexus but will be selling. BTW, if anyone wants to by an unlocked GSM gnex, PM me :)

Maiar_m

why the fuck does my Google Play page say my order is "Pre-ordered" instead of having a shipping estimate like the rest of you :l
Shipping estimate are so 2 hours ago.

Seriously though, Google said they were auditing their stock, there's a slight chance they over-sold.

I ordered at 11:35 AM EST yesterday. What the fuck.

Maybe you will get lucky but some guys at XDA called Google and they said if it's listed as preordered than it's on backorder or something like that...there is a whole thread about it under the general discussion.
Edit here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1991809

Half an hour ago, I decided to call google play support and talked 4 different rep regarding my ' pre-ordered ' status. I also talked to their supervisor and manager.

All of them told me that pre-ordered status means that it's out of stock and that we're in line for the next batch.

SERIOUSLY!?

Honestly maybe you will get lucky this whole launch is a disaster who knows anything really.

I'm going to break this fucking $3 flipphone that I'm using because I sold my iPhone into millions of pieces if I'm stuck with it all weekend. god dammit google

I'm going to break this fucking $3 flipphone that I'm using because I sold my iPhone into millions of pieces if I'm stuck with it all weekend. god dammit google

I'd wait before you flip out. There are people who have gotten devices from Google and have never received any kind of shipping notification till weeks later...they are all kinds of screwed up when it comes to retail it looks like.

Here see...

FWIW, I still have the "Pre-Ordered" status, but just got this response from Google's email support:

Please note that your order number XXXXXX did go through and has been sent to the shipper. The pending charges on your account will change shortly. Please continue to look at your Google Wallet account to check on the update.

Thank you
Vince

The Google Play Support Team

from the same thread lol...Google being google lol. I wish you the best and hope you get it!

Cipherr

I'd wait before you flip out. There are people who have gotten devices from Google and have never received any kind of shipping notification till weeks later...they are all kinds of screwed up when it comes to retail it looks like.

Haha yeah, I received my Galaxy Nexus delivery, and like 5 days later I got the Google email saying my device had been shipped.

hitsugi

Hmm.. Since my wife and I's iPhone 5s used nanosim and these use micro, does this mean I'm going to have to bring our phones in to AT&T and pay two more activation fees?

Top Bottom