• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

tfur

Don't worry guys.

This delay will give Apple just enough time to get those preliminary injunctions in place against all Jelly Bean devices.

No email yet...

Blablurn

Why not just keep the nexus order, buy the Xperia from a local store today and then when you get the nexus you can return the Xperia? If the nexus is the phone you want then don't settle for another phone because of a 3 week wait. (as unfortunate as it is)

i would do it but the buy and return policy is a lil too complicated here in germany.

ask yourself this question: is saving $150 worth burning the upgrade?

the value of the upgrade can be more than that price depending on if you want a phone next year and what that phone is... or you could even get an expensive device with the upgrade and sell it for more than the entire cost of the Nexus 4, etc... how much are T-Mobile GS3s and Note2s going for on ebay?

Right now it is worth it to me. I got a nexus One and this thing is outdated badly now. It's my brothers phone line that will be upgraded so to me yes it's worth it because I've already started waiting my two years for my next upgrade. He has to wait for me to lock him into an extra two years by me picking a phone for T Mobile to mail it to him. (me)

Unless there's something extra out of ordering from Google, I don't see why I shouldn't. It's just a when issue.

They totally fucked this up. I don't understand why it's so difficult.

1) Make device available for pre-order to assess demand well before actual retail release

2) First come, first served on pre-orders

Easy. Total clusterfuck. I couldn't even order mine.

mackattk

I havent received the email yet, but I am anticipating it. Its going to be a shitty wait.

The charge on my CC is still pending, havent received any updated notifications from the google play store.

They totally fucked this up. I don't understand why it's so difficult.

1) Make device available for pre-order to assess demand well before actual retail release

2) First come, first served on pre-orders

Easy. Total clusterfuck. I couldn't even order mine.

I think they underestimated the demand. Nexus has primary been a developer phone but now non-devs are buying it up like no tomorrow.

panda21

ok i've decided, i'm keeping my order for now but if a build of cyanogenmod 10.1 for the One X shows up before my order ships i'm cancelling it.

your move google.

I think they underestimated the demand. Nexus has primary been a developer phone but now non-devs are buying it up like no tomorrow.

Google have never heard of box breakers. It's common in the UK. Guys who buy up subsidized phones and then sell them on at a profit in territories where they can charge more. I mean even If you sold the Nexus at a £50 markup it's still ridiculous value. It should have been 1 per customer only. I guarantee a lot of the purchases were from people looking to make a profit, who could then ship it to Asia and make a killing. I don't have a problem with this, but I do take issue when people who actually plan to use the phone and not just sell it on can't get one. By comparison the Nexus 7 stuff was tame. All they had to do with the N7 was have it released to retail a week after the pre-orders started shipping and the furor wouldn't have been there. Instead of doing that for the N4, they ballsed up even harder. At least ASUS didn't have stock issues.

Right now it is worth it to me. I got a nexus One and this thing is outdated badly now. It's my brothers phone line that will be upgraded so to me yes it's worth it because I've already started waiting my two years for my next upgrade. He has to wait for me to lock him into an extra two years by me picking a phone for T Mobile to mail it to him. (me)

Unless there's something extra out of ordering from Google, I don't see why I shouldn't. It's just a when issue.

well there's also the issue of Google having a 3 week delay, so yeah, get it from T-Mobile.

WTF? 3 weeks delay? Wow ... i couldn't imagine this clusterfuck of already epic proportions would become even more epic. Google fucked this up so hard, that has to be a record or something.

@Blablurn
How about you keep your order and i buy it from you when it finally arrives? I cannot imagine that orders will be allowed anytime soon in the playstore ... so we could both "win".

I don't think it mattered. Look at the Nexus 7 launch, good amount of devices but still fucked up the dispatch

I think what we are seeing here is a company who hasn't mastered the communication and logistics of selling hardware

this. Google may be good at other things, but they're TERRIBLE when it comes to selling hardware.

Blablurn

WTF? 3 weeks delay? Wow ... i couldn't imagine this clusterfuck of already epic proportions would become even more epic. Google fucked this up so hard, that has to be a record or something.

@Blablurn
How about you keep your order and i buy it from you when it finally arrives? I cannot imagine that orders will be allowed anytime soon in the playstore ... so we could both "win".

sry man, its hard, but i think i keep it :|

gcubed

@Blablurn

apparently you haven't ordered hardware from google before

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably be waiting till after Xmas to get one. In the meantime if a great holiday deal pops up on another good device I'm just going to jump on that.

I'm well overdue for an upgrade. I'm still rocking the original Droid Incredible.

ok i've decided, i'm keeping my order for now but if a build of cyanogenmod 10.1 for the One X shows up before my order ships i'm cancelling it.

your move google.

if?

how long did they take to merge the 4.1.2 changes? 3 days?

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably be waiting till after Xmas to get one. In the meantime if a great holiday deal pops up on another good device I'm just going to jump on that.

I'm well overdue for an upgrade. I'm still rocking the original Droid Incredible.

Samsung Galaxy S III = 96 cents in Sam's Club on Black Friday

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google have never heard of box breakers. It's common in the UK. Guys who buy up subsidized phones and then sell them on at a profit in territories where they can charge more. I mean even If you sold the Nexus at a £50 markup it's still ridiculous value. It should have been 1 per customer only. I guarantee a lot of the purchases were from people looking to make a profit, who could then ship it to Asia and make a killing. I don't have a problem with this, but I do take issue when people who actually plan to use the phone and not just sell it on can't get one. By comparison the Nexus 7 stuff was tame. All they had to do with the N7 was have it released to retail a week after the pre-orders started shipping and the furor wouldn't have been there. Instead of doing that for the N4, they ballsed up even harder. At least ASUS didn't have stock issues.
Spot on. Google really screwed this up.

Just got the dreaded email. YAY!
Me too. Going to ask for a shipping refund now. Oh, don't have to. It's automatic. I hope you guys bickering about shipping fees are happy. Thanks a lot, guys

"We’ll send you a notification when your order has shipped and will credit the shipping charges."

derder

Indeed, i haven't. :) And im not sure if i ever will, or will again. :)

Too bad that the phone is more expensive when sold by Media Markt in december ...

I don't think it's too bad. The only thing that broke was the new payment system. I think that they should have staggered the release of the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 10 to keep everything under control. Even a separation of 24 hours would have drastically helped.

SimleuqiR

Thank you for your recent purchase on Google Play. Due to overwhelming demand, your Nexus 4 is on backorder and is expected to ship within three weeks. We’ll send you a notification when your order has shipped and will credit the shipping charges.

Bam! I called it!

They didn't have enough for all these orders. I hate fucking people that buy these phones to but on eBay.

mackattk

Bam! I called it!

They didn't have enough for all these orders. I hate fucking people that buy these phones to but on eBay.

II can't fathom to think why they had a 10 device limit.. It should have been 2 at most. The only people who would buy 10 would be scalpers.

abunai

I guess the next batch will be in ~3 weeks for all these backorders, and there still won't be any for new orders. I hope that isn't the case.

Snaku

Banned
Thank you for your recent purchase on Google Play. Due to overwhelming demand, your Nexus 4 is on backorder and is expected to ship within three weeks. We’ll send you a notification when your order has shipped and will credit the shipping charges.

Fuck you Google. Cancelling this shit and getting a Note II.

tfur

I just got the email.

Rage mode... engage...

FU googy pls. Rent some Amazon elastic compute cloud you bunch of pathetic bit trickles. Wow, your random, redundant server blocks are so cool. LOOVE your painted data centers, and groovy lunch plans. Hows about you build a fifo for online orders like the rest of the planet. Choke on a Jellybean.

Whatever, no big deal. I already have a GN, but was looking to play with something fresher.

rc213

What week, second kick to the nuts. First the Galaxy S3 get jellybean from tmobile hours after I hand it over to my sister and now back ordered for 3 weeks.

twofold

This might be one of the worst tech launches I've ever seen. Googled fucked up so bad.

Sorry to hear some of you folks might be phoneless for a while to come. =/

I think people with that 3 week notification should just wait it out. I seriously doubt it will be 3 weeks. That is likely worst case scenario so companies can cover their own ass.

Marco1

I think what has happened is that they underestimated the demand and thought that there would still be plenty left after the day was out.
So to generate the sold-out hype they allowed customers to purchase up to ten each. They would then be able to put up the sold-out in one day poster.
I'll never understand how hard it is to set-up a pre-order that stops once you know the allocated hardware you are expecting is all gone.
They fucked up, plain and simple and has been stated this just shows that apple are ahead of the curve on this.

Chairhome

I think people with that 3 week notification should just wait it out. I seriously doubt it will be 3 weeks. That is likely worst case scenario so companies can cover their own ass.

Yeah. I'm hoping, too! And I didn't notice that they said they'd credit the shipping charges, which is cool.

I'm not too mad though, I just put CM10 on my One S and it is awesome. And I get to see how other people react to the phone (and see what kind of development support it will get) and cancel my order if it doesn't sound good.

Chili

At least you guys are getting an update. I'm still left in the dark on my order. :\

Still in "complete" status.

Have you called Google? They told me my order had been processed and sent to TNT. I haven't received this dreaded email yet but would not be surprised if I do. I haven't received any other information though, and the order is still 'pending'. So I'm still in limbo as well.

At least you guys are getting an update. I'm still left in the dark on my order. :\

Still in "complete" status.

I have "complete" as well and still got the email. Then again, I have two orders with the other still having a shipping date of today. I should contact google and see what they say.

Top Bottom