• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Maiar_m

For those that did receive their Nexus 4, (the very few), hows the battery life? Any updated reviews hitting the web since the software update?

First charge (so the one it came with, not the one I'm using today) lasted 6 hours with 3 hours screen time (yeah, not my most productive day), wifi on, GPS on, brightness auto, lots of app to install, not much gaming, not much music and a bit of photo (including two photospheres which take considerable time).

It's now at 89% with 3h33 on battery with 35 minutes of screen time.

I feel like getting fucked by t-mobile Germany. I pay 40€ a month for unlimited text and calls to other t-mobile members and only have 300mb and then it's year 2000 on my phone. I get to the tenth of every month before I get this SMS from hell telling me I used my high speed volume.

The best part is they won't offer me anything better. I already canceled my contract with them and it is ending in march.

They won't even give me 300mb more for free. Nothing. Can't believe it.

Got a little bit off topic. Whoops.

Are there any reviews with stock jb 4.2? Did the battery life change?

Because most people don't know any better.

I think Three's offerings are better than GiffGaffs, tbh. Mine costs £12.60 a month or so and gives me around 250 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data. I did a speed test with my N4 yesterday and got 18mbps down -- that's 4x quicker than my home broadband. :|

Insane.

I am thinking of switching from giffgaff to Three, how is your network coverage, also what region are you in if you don't mind?

I hear Three is already on HSPA+ and £15 per month will bag me unlimited data and 600 minutes, so a bit better than the £12 per month - 250 minutes and unlimited data - I will be getting on giffgaff

kharma45

Nooo, I referred him first :p

No bother :p didn't see anyone else posting that they'd do that.

I am thinking of switching from giffgaff to Three, how is your network coverage, also what region are you in if you don't mind?

I hear Three is already on HSPA+ and £15 per month will bag me unlimited data and 600 minutes, so a bit better than the £12 per month - 250 minutes and unlimited data - I will be getting on giffgaff

Yeah Three have DC-HSDPA out now providing your phone is compatible, which the N4 is of course.

O2 are starting to roll it out now though iirc too.

I feel like getting fucked by t-mobile Germany. I pay 40€ a month for unlimited text and calls to other t-mobile members and only have 300mb and then it's year 2000 on my phone. I get to the tenth of every month before I get this SMS from hell telling me I used my high speed volume.

The best part is they won't offer me anything better. I already canceled my contract with them and it is ending in march.

get congstar

Because most people don't know any better.

I think Three's offerings are better than GiffGaffs, tbh. Mine costs £12.60 a month or so and gives me around 250 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data. I did a speed test with my N4 yesterday and got 18mbps down -- that's 4x quicker than my home broadband. :|

Insane.

I've checked 3Gs website but I can't see the different sims they offer. Does anyone know where I can find this?

Chili

No bother :p didn't see anyone else posting that they'd do that.

I don't mind really :p. Giffgaff are particularly good because they are 'community-run'. Not in the same way corporations try to spiel that they are run by their community but the community is actually responsible for a lot of their support. I remember when they changed the goodybag data limits recently, it was decided by a huge debate within the community and then voted on. Very impressive consultation.

panda21

giff gaff sounds really cool, but the whole referral thing really puts me off. its basically a huge incentive for people already on it to talk it up and persuade others to join

from the sound of it, it really is genuinely good, but theres just a small doubt that people just don't mention the bad stuff, perhaps not even consciously, because of the referrals.

abunai

giff gaff sounds really cool, but the whole referral thing really puts me off. its basically a huge incentive for people already on it to talk it up and persuade others to join

from the sound of it, it really is genuinely good, but theres just a small doubt that people just don't mention the bad stuff, perhaps not even consciously, because of the referrals.

I'm not going to blindly defend a company, if someone came along and offered a better deal I would switch (assuming the same quality of service etc). That being said, I've only had one thing go wrong with giffgaff in the past 3 years - when O2's network went down, they went down (naturally). That was the biggest annoyance. Occasionally, if you have a weak signal, images over data will come to your phone with a significant amount of artifacts/compression. Noticeably more than on vanilla O2. It's been getting better, and I hardly ever come across it now but that's the only other downside that has ever bothered me. There was one other period where any texts I got only reached my phone a few hours after they were sent which was annoying, but again, that was related to O2's network failing.

It's really great, 99.9% of the time. For that price, they can't really be beat.

kharma45

Yeah Giffgaff is pretty much the best network out there for what you pay, I've never really had an issues with them. My only gripe is shite 3G coverage out of towns/cities but that's the fault of O2 and not them.

F#A#Oo

Banned
It's come!!!! I missed it yesterday because of work but just got it in my hand! I'm scared now that it will break...it feels sturdy but the glass makes me feel scared.

Anyways anyone order the official bumper? Any good?

abunai

Someone on XDA said O2/CPW are selling them sim-free now for £399/£389 respectively. I'm gonna head into Glasgow later anyway so I'll check them out and see if it's true. I doubt I'd pay that much though, I can wait.

twofold

I'm up in Leeds. Even in my little village on the outskirts, I'm getting 9mbps or so outside and about 6mbps inside. It's really, really quick.

I've checked 3Gs website but I can't see the different sims they offer. Does anyone know where I can find this?

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searc...includedInternetAllowanceInMB=All+You+Can+Eat

F#A#Oo

Banned
Man I'm really loving this phone. Not sure about this new swipe keyboard. When I swipe to space bar it doesn't do the space. I prefer swift key. Maybe I just need to get used to a new keyboard.

Nicktendo86

Man I'm really loving this phone. Not sure about this new swipe keyboard. When I swipe to space bar it doesn't do the space. I prefer swift key. Maybe I just need to get used to a new keyboard.

Just take your finger off the screen when you have done a word and it puts the space in for you. It really goes against your instinct to go to the space bar but when you get used to it you will be typing with ease.

panda21

does the double wielding swipe let you type a single word with two fingers swiping independently, or does it have to be two separate words?

twofold

Just take your finger off the screen when you have done a word and it puts the space in for you. It really goes against your instinct to go to the space bar but when you get used to it you will be typing with ease.

Mine doesn't do that. I need to put the space in manually.

kms_md

Midwest update - no emails and no changes to status in either play or wallet. I receive automatic emails from UPS whenever a tracking number addressed to me is generated and I have not received that notification as well.

Marco1

My TNT tracking is still showing the outdated tracking number since last night.
I give them a call and they said they have nothing on record regarding my postcode or shipment.
I have sent Google an email asking WTF!
Google this is my first android and I jumped over from apple because of their dire maps situation but you're making it real easy to go back.

So far everything is the same on google wallet and play store; estimated ship date is still the 15th, etc.

However, my pending transaction for the Nexus' amount has disappeared from my CC account activity. Not getting a great feeling here.

So far everything is the same on google wallet and play store; estimated ship date is still the 15th, etc.

However, my pending transaction for the Nexus' amount has disappeared from my CC account activity. Not getting a great feeling here.

Have faith! Mine still says the 15th too >.>

tirant

Check simyo.de

mackattk

Pending charges falling off isn't a big deal. You will still get charged for it when/if it ships out today. I think they automatically fall off within 3 days or so.

Maiar_m

So, about wireless charging. Do you guys know what you'll be doing? Are you all waiting for the charging orb or are there any decent solutions out there?

I've been looking at the nokia stuff but it's a) not cheap and b) not really available either.

Have faith! Mine still says the 15th too >.>

Pending charges falling off isn't a big deal. You will still get charged for it when/if it ships out today. I think they automatically fall off within 3 days or so.

Okay. I will still believe!

As far as the wireless charging goes, I'll probably pick up the google orb whenever it comes out. I wish it had come out at the same time but the way things are going with just the main product, maybe it's for the best it didn't.

la_briola

http://www.fyve.de/ (vodafone)

Well I guess it's kind of good timing my nexus 4 is coming today. The USB port on my gnex seems to be dying =\ Thing won't charge from anything but my PC and the battery icon is showing it forever think it's charging even when it's not. Kind of sucks as I was planning on selling it to a fellow gaffer now I cannot. Would have felt terrible had it started doing it after he received it. Guess I'm going to put it on ebay and sell as something that needs to be fixed =\

Sen²

Iloveitiloveitiloveit!! Seriously, such a beautiful phone. And damn it is fast (coming from a Galaxy S1 with CM10). So far I'm really impressed. Also, Google shipped it via DHL Express. So that kind of justifies the shipping costs in Germany.

Edit: Already dropped it :/. Nothing happened though, not a scratch. Gotta be more careful...

hitsugi

At this point, I'm just going to consider orders in 'limbo' to be backordered. I've still got the 11/15 shipping estimate, no backorder e-mail, and the charge is still pending.. Oh well. Probably be phone-less for a couple of weeks.

Well I went 3 days without word from Google, and then this morning I get an email saying it's shipped! Really was not expecting that.

Sen²;44404901 said:
Edit: Already dropped it :/. Nothing happened though, not a scratch. Gotta be more careful...

D: Careful these things are rare!

Top Bottom