• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Just want to reiterate that benchmarks are pointless.

The galaxy nexus gets horrible scores compared to the newer phones but is probably the fastest phone out there in real use.

Leucrota

So the 1080p sample video from engadget has been posted, right? Mic sounds pretty bad and the frame rate seems low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4CbYXKxj6I

I dont have a smartphone, so maybe I am missing something, but who records 1080p video with their phone and expects it to come out good?

With the money you are saving with this phone, save up and buy an actual camcorder.

I have no expectation of a phone taking decent video and only expect mediocre pics.

mnannola

I dont have a smartphone, so maybe I am missing something, but who records 1080p video with their phone and expects it to come out good?

With the money you are saving with this phone, save up and buy an actual camcorder.

I have no expectation of a phone taking decent video and only expect mediocre pics.

I use my smartphone camera a ton when I'm out and about, the best camera is the one you have on you and all that jazz. I don't really expect the Nexus to take world class video, but I do expect to be at least comparable to other top-tier phones.

kharma45

It's the exception to the rule but it really is incredible what the 808 can do

http://youtu.be/A9Roc2KElG8?hd=1

And even in low light it kicks ass

http://youtu.be/6PrOP6ZXJjg?hd=1

I hope in a few years normal smartphones can reach this quality as technology progresses.

Leucrota

I use my smartphone camera a ton when I'm out and about, the best camera is the one you have on you and all that jazz. I don't really expect the Nexus to take world class video, but I do expect to be at least comparable to other top-tier phones.

I would just record at 720p if the phone can do that easily. It seems like 1080p is just a vanity feature.

rc213

Gave my sister the choice of getting my Galaxy SIII or this, She decided on the GSIII.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I would just record at 720p if the phone can do that easily. It seems like 1080p is just a vanity feature.
To be honest, if I end up making the switch from iOS to android, having the option to shoot in 720p will be a fucking blessing. 1080p is so overkill for most of my video shooting needs on mobile. Dumbfounded why apple still haven't given a toggle option for video resolution. If 720p is 30 FPS then I'm all good.

And goddamn at that 808 video quality :O

I hope in a few years normal smartphones can reach this quality as technology progresses.

Is that real footage? not like that commercial with a camcorder with a stabilizer?

Nevermind, second one looks legit.

But I do remember some still photos looking noisy and hell with the new pureview phones.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Gave my sister the choice of getting my Galaxy SIII or this, She decided on the GSIII.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Bad choice, but it just goes to show what a strong brand Samsung has built with their Galaxy S line. The SGS (or an iPhone) is simply the phone the uninformed masses automatically want. Such people don't know the difference between OEM-skinned Android and the pure Google experience, and they don't care. They just want what's hot, and that's definitely not an LG phone called Nexus 4.

Hopefully the Nexus brand will get stronger with the three great devices it is currently represented by, so that more people get on the Nexus train.

Bad choice, but it just goes to show what a strong brand Samsung has built with their Galaxy S line. The SGS (or an iPhone) is simply the phone the uninformed masses automatically want. Such people don't know the difference between OEM-skinned Android and the pure Google experience, and they don't care. They just want what's hot, and that's definitely not an LG phone called Nexus 4.

Hopefully the Nexus brand will get stronger with the three great devices it is currently represented by, so that more people get on the Nexus train.

I consider myself a hardcore google/android fan and I'm not so sure I'd pick the Nexus over the GS3 given lack of LTE, no micro sd card and the unknown on how good the nexus camera is now. I also like my real buttons so I have more screen real estate.

Very strange that this phone is being reviewed as if it doesn't cost half the price of its competition...
why would they...anyone can do that. It's a flagship smartphone. It should get reviewed against other flagship phones. Does it really matter. Most reviews seem very positive anyway.

DieH@rd

Banned
That's a fucking phone? God damn.

Well... some would not call it a very nice looking phone.
promo1-without-copy-png.png

It also runs Symbian. :D

why would they...anyone can do that. It's a flagship smartphone. It should get reviewed against other flagship phones. Does it really matter. Most reviews seem very positive anyway.

Exactly

It doesn't use cheap components and is only missing LTE. It should be compared to everything like like Google have been touting it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I consider myself a hardcore google/android fan and I'm not so sure I'd pick the Nexus over the GS3 given lack of LTE, no micro sd card and the unknown on how good the nexus camera is now. I also like my real buttons so I have more screen real estate.

LTE is a non-factor for me, as it is for just about the entire world except the US. But sure, if that's the only way you can get decent data speeds (from what I understand 3G sucks pretty bad in the US) I understand that it's an important omission.

The lack of an SD slot doesn't really bother me either. I'm doing just fine with the 16 GB of storage on my GNex. For music I use Google Music (I tricked Google into letting me use it by signing up via a US proxy), and only keep the stuff I'm most likely to listen to available for offline access (plus whatever it automatically caches). I just don't need my entire music library available on the phone at all times. I rarely keep any movies or TV shows on the phone, and when I do it's never a significant amount. Pictures and videos I take using the phone are automatically uploaded to both G+ and Dropbox, so I can clean them out of the phone every now and then without losing anything. That leaves games, and by keeping a healthy balance of a bunch of smaller casual and a few larger "premium" games installed I really run no serious risk of running out of space.

The camera probably won't be the best thing ever, but it should be decent enough. It's definitely vastly superior to the GNex camera, which is pretty bad in all but optimal lighting conditions. It might not be quite as good as the SGS3 camera, but is that really gonna be the deciding factor? Not to me.

When it comes to buttons I've completely embraced the future of on-screen buttons. Yes, they take up some screen space that could otherwise have been used for content, but other than that they are superior to hardware keys in pretty much every way.

And then there's the most important point of all: The pure Android experience the way Google intended it, with updates within days of a new version being completed rather than after several months. I've become too used to that to switch to a phone where I know I'd have to sit waiting for months to get the latest and greatest Android features. How many people who bought a nice phone not too long ago are still on a pre-JB version (or even pre-ICS)? Most of them. I've been on JB since July thanks to having a Nexus, and am now on 4.1.2 (and will soon be on 4.2, regardless of whether I get an N4 or keep my GNex). That's something I simply won't give up. Unless something drastically changes with how OEMs treat their software and updates, I can't see myself ever getting a non-Nexus Android phone again.

So no, I personally would never even consider getting an SGS3 over an N4.

Hieberrr

Even though I have class at 8 am and presentation at 3pm, I'm staying up until at least 2 am to get phone. Google better put that shit up at 12:00 AM.

LTE is a non-factor for me, as it is for just about the entire world except the US. But sure, if that's the only way you can get decent data speeds (from what I understand 3G sucks pretty bad in the US) I understand that it's an important omission.

The lack of an SD slot doesn't really bother me either. I'm doing just fine with the 16 GB of storage on my GNex. For music I use Google Music (I tricked Google into letting me use it by signing up via a US proxy), and only keep the stuff I'm most likely to listen to available for offline access (plus whatever it automatically caches). I just don't need my entire music library available on the phone at all times. I rarely keep any movies or TV shows on the phone, and when I do it's never a significant amount. Pictures and videos I take using the phone are automatically uploaded to both G+ and Dropbox, so I can clean them out of the phone every now and then without losing anything. That leaves games, and by keeping a healthy balance of a bunch of smaller casual and a few larger "premium" games installed I really run no serious risk of running out of space.

The camera probably won't be the best thing ever, but it should be decent enough. It's definitely vastly superior to the GNex camera, which is pretty bad in all but optimal lighting conditions. It might not be quite as good as the SGS3 camera, but is that really gonna be the deciding factor? Not to me.

When it comes to buttons I've completely embraced the future of on-screen buttons. Yes, they take up some screen space that could otherwise have been used for content, but other than that they are superior to hardware keys in pretty much every way.

And then there's the most important point of all: The pure Android experience the way Google intended it, with updates within days of a new version being completed rather than after several months. I've become too used to that to switch to a phone where I know I'd have to sit waiting for months to get the latest and greatest Android features. How many people who bought a nice phone not too long ago are still on a pre-JB version (or even pre-ICS)? Most of them. I've been on JB since July thanks to having a Nexus, and am now on 4.1.2 (and will soon be on 4.2, regardless of whether I get an N4 or keep my GNex). That's something I simply won't give up. Unless something drastically changes with how OEMs treat their software and updates, I can't see myself ever getting a non-Nexus Android phone again.

So no, I personally would never even consider getting an SGS3 over an N4.

3g is fine in the US if you have ATT or Tmobile. Verizon and Sprint it's a big fat you're fucked. I have Verizon and need it for work because I don't get reception with anything else.

LTE/SD Card/Camera/Buttons are there with one and never will be on the other. Updates will be on both given enough time. And since I load custom roms I don't have to wait as long. Heck I'm already running part of 4.2 now with the new keyboard and camera and I'll be wireless charging in a week.

And my original post wasn't that the GS3 is definitely better than the Nexus, just that there's reasons to pick it over the Nexus even if you're not ignorant and don't follow the pack blindly. There's hardcore reasons too.

Cipherr

And my original post wasn't that the GS3 is definitely better than the Nexus, just that there's reasons to pick it over the Nexus even if you're not ignorant and don't follow the pack blindly. There's hardcore reasons too.

Theres a Nexus follower pack!? :D

No but seriously you are right, its not just the S3, there are other Android phones that have advantages over the Nex4 also. Nothing wrong with buying another phone over this one.

railGUN

Banned

Pretty impressive... but...

I also used a mattebox, and 4'4 polarizing, and for some of the brighter scenes a 4'4 ND filter 0.9. I later upscaled the fotage in premiere pro too later crop it for 2.35.0 aspect ratio. I colorcorrected quite heavely caused i think i pushed the contrast a little bit to much so it all looked very flat. All was shot in 30 fps, then converted to 24fps to make a little dreamy slowmotion.

Edit: that's for the first video only.

Theres a Nexus follower pack!? :D

No but seriously you are right, its not just the S3, there are other Android phones that have advantages over the Nex4 also. Nothing wrong with buying another phone over this one.

Not nexus follower pack, GS3/Iphone follower pack. One of the previous posts was equating GS3 as a iPhone like mass market phone and catered to casuals and that there's no reason to pick that over the Nexus if you are tech savvy.

Very strange that this phone is being reviewed as if it doesn't cost half the price of its competition...

In North America, roughly half of the US population can't use it. So I think it's fair.

Just want to reiterate that benchmarks are pointless.

The galaxy nexus gets horrible scores compared to the newer phones but is probably the fastest phone out there in real use.

The reason most benchmarks for Android are entirely useless is because they are using the Dalvik JIT compiler. So you're just testing how well-optimized Dalvik is on your device. I don't even know if any CPU benchmarking tools use native code outside of browser tests like SunSpider. Obviously GPU benchmarks are more realistic here, but even then, these mobile GPUs have wildly different architectures and so some of them are benchmark queens (PowerVR SGX54xMPx comes to mind here) but the ones which aren't still perform closely with them in real-world applications like games.

T-Mobile and AT&T have coverage well into the 90% range of the US population, and i thought all the carriers in Mexico and Canada were GSM...

The 50% of wireless subscribers in the US who have Verizon and Sprint can't use it. I wasn't talking about coverage, I was talking about availability on certain providers.

Mexico and Canada both have CDMA providers, mainly because of their proximity to the US. However GSM does dominate in those countries, like most of the world.

strata8

The reason most benchmarks for Android are entirely useless is because they are using the Dalvik JIT compiler. So you're just testing how well-optimized Dalvik is on your device. I don't even know if any CPU benchmarking tools use native code outside of browser tests like SunSpider. Obviously GPU benchmarks are more realistic here, but even then, these mobile GPUs have wildly different architectures and so some of them are benchmark queens (PowerVR SGX54xMPx comes to mind here) but the ones which aren't still perform closely with them in real-world applications like games.

SunSpider runs on JavaScript, not native code.

Totakeke

Funny how arguments for Android devices seem to resemble Windows Phone lately.

"Benchmarks don't really matter."
"Tablets will have more apps once there's a bigger marketshare."

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The 50% of wireless subscribers in the US who have Verizon and Sprint can't use it. I wasn't talking about coverage, I was talking about availability on certain providers.

Mexico and Canada both have CDMA providers, mainly because of their proximity to the US. However GSM does dominate in those countries, like most of the world.
The main CDMA providers in Canada (Bell & Telus) adopted GSM a couple of years ago.

of course they can. that's what number porting is for...

i expect their video quality to be at least as good as Samsung's.

double the score.

Funny how arguments for Android devices seem to resemble Windows Phone lately.

"Benchmarks don't really matter."
"Tablets will have more apps once there's a bigger marketshare."

What is being said is that this is not the final release of the Software/4.2 JB. Google told reviewers that. You will also see that Geekbench performance benchmark beats Optimus G, but Quadrant doesn't. the only way to reconcile that is the hardware is solid, software still has some issues (and is pre-release).

I would suggest to anyone worried about benchmarks/battery life - wait a week or two and see what results people get on release version.

Top Bottom