• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Its 299€ in google play store spain.

Yeah, but that's just the thing: You can buy hardware directly from Google via the Play Store in Spain. In most countries you can't; instead, we have to buy from other retailers, who are (at least right now) setting prices around €500 for the N4.

Yeah, but that's just the thing: You can buy hardware directly from Google via the Play Store in Spain. In most countries you can't; instead, we have to buy from other retailers, who are (at least right now) setting prices around €500 for the N4.

I am sure there will be a cottage industry of people buying in Play store approved countries and shipping it out to others in other countries. Hell I would do it if enough people requested it.

£279 for the 16GB in the UK, that is really good to me especially with the power this thing seems to pack.

I hope this sells well.

Stock is stock down to the bare minimum. Sometimes though, it's too bare and you wonder why obvious features are missing. It's miles ahead of Samsung's ROMs though :p
Good to know.
The next nexus will hopefully have lte. Till then ill have to deal with iPhone.
LTE isn't a big deal to me.

But I have to ask, if LTE is in the next nexus, will the price still be this low? With the aggressive style of pricing we see on the 4, can google ever go higher than $299 in the future for a phone? Wouldn't it be a much tougher sell to price the phone higher now that they've kind of changed the game with this type of pricing?

I'm asking this because I may hold out for the nexus 5 but it'd all be dependent upon the price staying at $299.

I mean, the hope is that if LTE costs a lot to put in the phone then they offer 2 versions. One for carriers with LTE and one unlocked for cheap without it or something to sell in their store.

Guess we'll see in a year.

nib95

Banned
Stock is stock down to the bare minimum. Sometimes though, it's too bare and you wonder why obvious features are missing. It's miles ahead of Samsung's ROMs though :p

I dunno, I beg to differ. Vanilla Android is prettier and better laid out, but imo Samsung's version of the OS is in some ways more feature rich, with a few exclusive elements that are definitely convenient. Personally I feel that several of the useful UI innovations or features in vanilla Android of late have been borrowed from Samsung.

Cipherr

Good to know.

LTE isn't a big deal to me.

But I have to ask, if LTE is in the next nexus, will the price still be this low?

No. It took the Galaxy Nexus 7 months to price drop to $349. It wasn't this cheap out of the gate. I would bet not having LTE radios helped them get this one as cheap as they have it day 1.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, it seems like the reason that the N4 is so much more expensive in countries where you can't buy it directly from Google is that LG is hiking up the price on it to hell and back:

TNW said:
Google is currently advertising the new handset as being available on 13 November at price points of €299 for the 8GB model and €349 for the 16GB model. However a statement on Phone House Spain’s Facebook page says that the company has discovered that LG will be offering it to them with a recommended retail price of €599.

This is in Spain, where the N4 can also be bought from the Play Store, but it seems clear that retailers who are forced to buy the phone from LG if they want to sell it have no choice but to ask a mucher higher price for it. For us in countries where such retailers are the only option for getting the N4 the situation is pretty bad. So fuck you very much for that, LG.

I am sure there will be a cottage industry of people buying in Play store approved countries and shipping it out to others in other countries. Hell I would do it if enough people requested it.

Well, it wouldn't be very difficult for me to import one from Germany or the UK anyway, but then I'd have no warranty on the phone here in Sweden. That's a situation I'd prefer to avoid.

giga

The notion that Google didn't include LTE because of cost is misplaced. The device already uses an LTE capable baseband/modem in the MDM9615. (The same as the iPhone 5.) Said chip also does not cost $100-$200, as was apparently said by someone at The Verge.

There's no LTE because Google wanted to keep clear of carriers, not because of the hardware cost of LTE.

(P.S., battery life also isn't a concern anymore with LTE. These chips are manufactured on a 28nm process and are pretty efficient now.)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Havent been paying attention to the benchmarks. Is nexus 4 faster than iPhone 5 like Google said?

No, apparently the N4 is doing much worse in benchmarks than the Optimus G, even though they have the same hardware (well, the parts that matter for benchmarks). Very weird.

Beez

Banned
depends where you live

most LTE devices I've tried get 15 give or take to 25 give or take down, with a ton of upload.

HSPA+ 42 will probably get you 8-12 consistently (wuth the chance for more). Big upgrade from 3G. Still no LTE.

Here in Canada my friend has the galaxy s2 with HSPA+ on telus and gets 15Mbps download when he has a strong signal.

No, apparently the N4 is doing much worse in benchmarks than the Optimus G, even though they have the same hardware (well, the parts that matter for benchmarks). Very weird.

Yes, but the more I read around, the more it seems that benchmarks aren't optimized for 4.2. Wired, The Verge, and many others are claiming they received absolutely no lag at all. Gizmodo especially stress this in their review.

Also, pure sex:
Screen-Shot-2012-11-02-at-8.23.48-AM.jpg

tha_devil

It just has so be some bug, also regarding to battery life it seems to be pretty bad with both nexus 4 and nexus 10, versus comparable tablets/phones. Maybe android 4.2 not totally ready yet?

Beez

Banned
It just has so be some bug, also regarding to battery life it seems to be pretty bad with both nexus 4 and nexus 10, versus comparable tablets/phones. Maybe android 4.2 not totally ready yet?

All the review phones are running pre-release software. Some reviewers were clear in this and some weren't. Stuff is even missing from the reviewers versions for example nobody could test widgets on the lock screen. My dad told me all this.

abunai

People on XDA are saying that the devices are sent out with non-final 4.2 as things like lockscreen widgets aren't working and that there's a incomplete (bad) kernel on the device too. They don't seem to provide any proof, though.

Here in Canada my friend has the galaxy s2 with HSPA+ on telus and gets 15Mbps download when he has a strong signal.
yeah that's why I wrote with a chance for more. Either way it should be good if you're with Bell/Telus in Canada. Not nearly as good as LTE but prettay good.

Beez

Banned
People on XDA are saying that the devices are sent out with non-final 4.2 as things like lockscreen widgets aren't working and that there's a incomplete (bad) kernel on the device too. They don't seem to provide any proof, though.

What "proof" do you need? Even Gizmodo put in their review :

NOTE: At the time of our testing, the phone’s software was very nearly finished, but it was not yet final. This means that the results are subject to change with extended testing. The finished build will be pushed to devices before they go on sale. We will update with any changes.

Gonna wait for the actual reviews before I bite the bullet. With Nexus 7's initial hardware problems, I'm going to be cautious with Nexus launches.

aaaaaaaaaaand we're back.

:)

wouldn't call that hot-swappable.

I mean, the hope is that if LTE costs a lot to put in the phone then they offer 2 versions. One for carriers with LTE and one unlocked for cheap without it or something to sell in their store.

Guess we'll see in a year.

it's like $40 for the LTE chip, then you need some pennies for extra wiring, antennas, then some patent licensing... shouldn't be over $50 total. the reason for no LTE is simple, Google wants total control of software updates. they don't want another toro/toroplus scenario...

I think I decided I'm going to get the 8gb. The longest I'm going to use this phone is for a year. Should be enough at just over 5 gigs of usable space.
it's like $40 for the LTE chip, then you need some pennies for extra wiring, antennas, then some patent licensing... shouldn't be over $50 total. the reason for no LTE is simple, Google wants total control of software updates.
they gave up control in the first place. Time to take it back and start a revolution or I'm out next year. A shame it will be. Though there's little doubt in my mind they'll do this again in late 2013.

I dunno, I beg to differ. Vanilla Android is prettier and better laid out, but imo Samsung's version of the OS is in some ways more feature rich, with a few exclusive elements that are definitely convenient. Personally I feel that several of the useful UI innovations or features in vanilla Android of late have been borrowed from Samsung.

Samsung had that blue scheme before Holo!

one thing i like about TW is the slide left/right on contacts shortcuts to call/text.

they gave up control in the first place. Time to take it back and start a revolution or I'm out next year. A shame it will be. Though there's little doubt in my mind they'll do this again in late 2013.
the only way to take control is to take the ball away. their options are release it under what agreement is offered and hold out for a better offer.. it's the same reason Apple went with AT&T only at launch, they were the only ones who would agree with the terms... then after they succeeded, they could dictate favorable terms with other interested parties... oh snap, Google copying Apple again!!!

Hieberrr

I think I decided I'm going to get the 8gb. The longest I'm going to use this phone is for a year. Should be enough at just over 5 gigs of usable space.

Same. I only have 1-1.5GB of music anyways. I use Veetle for shows, so no local. Plus, if it comes to films or anything like that, I watch at home.

The notion that Google didn't include LTE because of cost is misplaced. The device already uses an LTE capable baseband/modem in the MDM9615. (The same as the iPhone 5.) Said chip also does not cost $100-$200, as was apparently said by someone at The Verge.

There's no LTE because Google wanted to keep clear of carriers, not because of the hardware cost of LTE.

(P.S., battery life also isn't a concern anymore with LTE. These chips are manufactured on a 28nm process and are pretty efficient now.)
oh so they didn't use a less expensive modem? that pretty much drives the point home there. Carriers!!!

yeah that's why I wrote with a chance for more. Either way it should be good if you're with Bell/Telus in Canada. Not nearly as good as LTE but prettay good.
Just asked a buddy of mine with the iPhone 5 and he gets 38 down and 28 up on Bell in the GTA on LTE. Faster than I thought actually. HSPA+ is more than enough for me, personally. I'm on campus all day or at home with wifi. Maybe one day it will be a major bullet point for me, but today it is not.

abunai

What "proof" do you need? Even Gizmodo put in their review :

Well, I was more meaning specific things about the kernel as that would have a bigger impact on battery life, but whatever. I'll be putting a custom one on when they're available anyway.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dat colours

It's a bit of a shame that the blacks are so non-black though. On the GNex the notification and navigation bars pretty much blend in completely with the bezel, which is really nice. On the other hand, the full RGB subpixel arrangement of the N4 screen will make many things look a lot sharper than on the GNex, so I guess that will make up for it.

Jack_AG

Banned
Well my wife said that I can get this if she takes my iPhone 5. FUCK YES. The fact that its not Samsung is all the better.

Anyone have any experience with T-mobile's data speeds? I know its not "true" LTE, but are the speeds comparable?
Im still rockin my 2010 Nexus S so all I have is 3g but the wife's SII with "4g" gets 4717 down and 1501 kbps up. Tested just now. Its not lightning fast but its well enough to browse the web, email, etc.

In my eyes - its a phone that does other things - its not my main link to the internet so its not a big deal.

Jack_AG

Banned
Benchmarks are wildly different depending on OS. My bench dropped when I hit JB 4.0 and came back up after the benchmark app was updated for JB.

Im assuming mine will change again when 4.2 hits.

Performance benchmarks are silly. The Nexus 4 will be fantastic in that regard.

I'm only concerned with the battery impressions, which, for all intents and purposes are puzzling so far. The Optimus G did very well in this regard. I assume it is a kernel issue. Hopefully, it gets ironed out.

Top Bottom