• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Chili

Coming from the gnex myself. It is noticeably faster and speakers are better. Screen quality or rather colors do not seem as vibrant but not bad by any means. Text looks crisper. Vibration feedback A LOT better. Will keep you updated. For the price you can't go wrong tbh. I'm happy with it.

Edit: actually auto brightness doesn't seem to work as well on my gnex...maybe just me?

Yep, these were all my initial thoughts too coming from a GNex. Gotta say, of course the software is exactly the same and well the novelty is already wearing off because of that. Obviously I expected that. The reason I made the jump was because the GNex still has good value while this phone is very cheap. Aside from that it is an improvement in pretty much every area. I really like the way the glass curves over the edge - I fear the bumper will ruin that element of it sadly.

Yep, these were all my initial thoughts too coming from a GNex. Gotta say, of course the software is exactly the same and well the novelty is already wearing off because of that. Obviously I expected that. The reason I made the jump was because the GNex still has good value while this phone is very cheap. Aside from that it is an improvement in pretty much every area. I really like the way the glass curves over the edge - I fear the bumper will ruin that element of it sadly.

Yeah I will have this phone naked lol.

BTW, I have an 8gb and after installing a few apps I had like 5.3 something GB left. I now have everything installed from my old phone and have 4.6gb left. Perfect size for me I suppose.

Beez

Banned
Shipping was 3-5 business days right? I believe Google says it takes 2 days to send out and 2 days to receive it. For those who did not receive the backorder email and still haven't got a shipping notice, I suggest you email Google and ask for them to credit you for shipping. In my opinion, they failed to deliver on something I paid $16.99 for if its not here by Wendsday and its looking likely that it won't be. Call me a cheapskate I don't give an F.

It hasn't been 5 business days since we ordered.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Lol no calls yet. I've just been playing videos. Much better than gnex anyway...at least from what I can tell.

I like the speakers, but not fond of where they placed them.

BTW, I have an 8gb and after installing a few apps I had like 5.3 something GB left. I now have everything installed from my old phone and have 4.6gb left. Perfect size for me I suppose.

Yeah, I'm glad I went with the 8gb. I can use the savings to buy the wireless charging dock. Whenever the damn thing comes out. Start using Google drive as well. I set up my account, and it seems like it will help wonders with the space.

squicken

Holding it in my hand and surfing the web it felt noticeably warmer than the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 I have to compare it against. Battery draining faster than those but it's not unexpected. Screen seems like the biggest culprit is the screen size

Holding it in my hand and surfing the web it felt noticeably warmer than the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 I have to compare it against. Battery draining faster than those but it's not unexpected. Screen seems like the biggest culprit is the screen size
I don't feel anything and have been browsing for a few hours.

def sim

Holding it in my hand and surfing the web it felt noticeably warmer than the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 I have to compare it against. Battery draining faster than those but it's not unexpected.

The 5 is probably the warmest phone I've ever owned. The N4 getting warmer than that is a little concerning. Worse battery life bothers me too, since the 5 borders on acceptable for me, but I only want it as a back up and something to tinker with anyway.

Why would you pay $900 bucks for a phone thats 300 >_<;

I would have bought five when I had the chance if I knew it was going to sell for this much. Geez

It hasn't been 5 business days since we ordered.
Which is why I'm not emailing them until Wednesday. I'm not angry I haven't received my phone yet. It hasn't been 5 business days, I know that. I think most of us are irked that google has completely failed in communicating with us.

squicken

I don't feel anything and have been browsing for a few hours.

hmm Would brightness matter? I guess I should say I'm streaming music as I surf, but I do that with my iPhone4 and it never gets noticeably warm. As far as the iPhone5 I guess I should strike that comparison, as I'm going from memory of a device I owned a month ago.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So anyone with the official bumper yet? Impressions? Pictures of it on?

hitsugi

Which is why I'm not emailing them until Wednesday. I'm not angry I haven't received my phone yet. It hasn't been 5 business days, I know that. I think most of us are irked that google has completely failed in communicating with us.

It's all but certain that most of us in "limbo" will be hearing the same story by then anyway so, yeah.. I guess free shipping + remain in limbo until it just shows up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yep, these were all my initial thoughts too coming from a GNex. Gotta say, of course the software is exactly the same and well the novelty is already wearing off because of that.
How long ago did Gnex receive the 4.2 update? I thought it was very recent.

TehOh

This. I'm not mad that my phone hasn't shipped yet. My existing phone will continue to work until the Nexus comes. What I'm frustrated about is the utter silence. It still says that it is expected to ship yesterday. I doubt there will be any update over the weekend. Really damn frustrating.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
A quick battery report.

So I turned on my phone around 5pm. I believe it was at 60% out the box(could be wrong). It is now 10:12pm, and it is down to 14%. I have been connected to wi-fi this entire time. I was streaming google music, downloading apps, taking pics(not many), playing around with the phone, and having it sit idle for about 40 minutes or so.

I will report again when I have the phone on a full charge, connected to the network and all that jazz.

A quick battery report.

So I turned on my phone around 5pm. I believe it was at 60% out the box(could be wrong). It is now 10:12pm, and it is down to 14%. I have been connected to wi-fi this entire time. I was streaming google music, downloading apps, taking pics(not many), playing around with the phone, and having it sit idle for about 40 minutes or so.

I will report again when I have the phone on a full charge, connected to the network and all that jazz.
Battery definitely seems better than the gnex so far for me

Yeah, I'm not expecting a huge leap over the GNex in the short term, but the N4 should have a much longer shelf life in the long term. The GNex is already starting to show its age, one year later.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I'm not gonna lie but if the high demand is still there when my phones arrive I am selling them. I am content with Gnex and possibly buy once stock is widely available. Patience is a virtue and for things like this I can wait.

One thing I haven't seen talked about in here much which I feel isn't getting enough attention is the fact that the nexus 4 does have an LTE chip inside. It's been confirmed by the ifixit guys and talked about a bit over at XDA. Lots of theorizing and speculating. What do you guys think could be the reason google haven't mentioned this? It's obviously been the big negative factor in many of the reviews and comments about the phone.

Some saying Google waiting till this LTE crap with the carriers is figured out. Maybe not wanting to step on the carriers toes by having LTE. Waiting for tmobile to launch LTE next year for them to "activate" the LTE chip in the phone and make it public. Some kind of future proofing. Or maybe just keeping the chip dormant in there for Google's own mobile network launch that's been rumored?

So why haven't google made mention of this? The chip is in! It's obvious it wasn't a cost cutting measure then, right? Really fascinating. I personally don't care for LTE at the moment but knowing its possible one day is a bonus at least.

One thing I haven't seen talked about in here much which I feel isn't getting enough attention is the fact that the nexus 4 does have an LTE chip inside. It's been confirmed by the ifixit guys and talked about a bit over at XDA. Lots of theorizing and speculating. What do you guys think could be the reason google haven't mentioned this? It's obviously been the big negative factor in many of the reviews and comments about the phone.

Some saying Google waiting till this LTE crap with the carriers is figured out. Maybe not wanting to step on the carriers toes by having LTE. Waiting for tmobile to launch LTE next year for them to "activate" the LTE chip in the phone and make it public. Some kind of future proofing. Or maybe just keeping the chip dormant in there for Google's own mobile network launch that's been rumored?

So why haven't google made mention of this? The chip is in! It's obvious it wasn't a cost cutting measure then, right? Really fascinating. I personally don't care for LTE at the moment but knowing its possible one day is a bonus at least.

IIRC, it's probably just left over from the Optimus G. It also doesn't look like it has an antenna for the radio.

cheesetom

Fucking ghetto. Setup a pin code to lock the device, confirmed it too. Now it says the pin code is wrong and I can't use my fucking nexus. Recovery mode doesn't work either. So frustrated.

Anyone know how to do a factory reset on this thing?

Hieberrr

Fucking ghetto. Setup a pin code to lock the device, confirmed it too. Now it says the pin code is wrong and I can't use my fucking nexus. Recovery mode doesn't work either. So frustrated.

Anyone know how to do a factory reset on this thing?

VOL UP + POWER = Doesn't work?

fse

My Nexus 4 from T-Mobile's site will be here by Wednesday.

btw you can get it for $149 on a classic plan and 10% studentrate monthly discount.

this generates more hype / demand for the product. even if accidental.

people will get mad, but so far.. there's a disturbing lack of coverage for what's going on.

It's not got any coverage at all from The Verge, only when it first sold out. But I guess everyone is not gonna shit talk Google for obvious reasons

It's a shame really...weirdly not eve John Gruber has said anything!

hitsugi

It's not got any coverage at all from The Verge, only when it first sold out. But I guess everyone is not gonna shit talk Google for obvious reasons

Yeah, we hear a lot about the Nexus 4 sold out, but nothing about how a majority of those orders have gone unanswered or placed on back order for up to 3 weeks

twofold

The Verge was the first (that I saw) to report on it - http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/15/3650750/google-nexus-4-backorder-delay

There is some really strange bias going on here, though. Tech sites everywhere were putting up "Nexus 4 sells out in 20 minutes!!1" but no-one is writing "Google really fucked up" articles. Had Apple had a launch as poor as this one, we wouldn't hear the end of it, but everyone seems to be giving Google a free pass.

This 'editorial' was particularly bad, too -

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...nch-is-a-fantastic-sign-or-please-be-patient/

F#A#Oo

Banned
It's really weird owning this phone. I'm not an early adopter when it comes to phones so when I usually got a phone in the past there was always a ton of accessories. So I have never went without having at least a cover of some sort.

No screen protector especially feels awkward to me. I'm also considering ordering that overpriced bumper off the play store. I think I may have an OCD thing.

The Verge was the first (that I saw) to report on it - http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/15/3650750/google-nexus-4-backorder-delay

There is some really strange bias going on here, though. Tech sites everywhere were putting up "Nexus 4 sells out in 20 minutes!!1" but no-one is writing "Google really fucked up" articles. Had Apple had a launch as poor as this one, we wouldn't hear the end of it, but everyone seems to be giving Google a free pass.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...nch-is-a-fantastic-sign-or-please-be-patient/

Yeah, we hear a lot about the Nexus 4 sold out, but nothing about how a majority of those orders have gone unanswered or placed on back order for up to 3 weeks

Yeah that article is horrible, I'm glad people are calling him out on it.

I guess it's just googles PR arm that's keeping the articles at bay, I just wish they would say specifically when new orders will be ale to be placed again. I'm so close to keeping my iPhone 5, and I think I would do, if I hadn't used the Nexus 4 already

If anyone in the UK has got two 16gb orders by accident ill take one off your hands for £320. I can't use this shitty Nokia 6230 anymore!!!

Cheers

Marco1

For anyone that has owned the ip5 and are currently on the N4 would you rather have this or the ip5?
Still undecided whether to sell my N4 when it arrives and go back to ip5.
Thanks.

For anyone that has owned the ip5 and are currently on the N4 would you rather have this or the ip5?
Still undecided whether to sell my N4 when it arrives and go back to ip5.
Thanks.

if prices are still that high when you get yours, you could sell the N4 and have enough money to buy both once the price settles and switch between the two at your leisure.

Blackhead

Redarse

I don't recall many, if any, articles when the MacBook Pro with retina was backordered this summer. Likewise many carriers had their iPhone5 orders backordered just a few weeks. 'Botched' launches are the norm rather the exception. Just look at the Lumia 920 or HTC 8X launch for example.

Top Bottom