• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Chili

Anyone else who has it find the Wi-Fi kinda weak? Had problems at work and it's not great at home either. Much faster on 3G actually it seems.

MadFerIt

Any of you N4 owners been lucky enough to snag it with a bumper? I'm curious to see how it fits and looks, please post pics! :D

Still waiting on backorder myself...

hamchan

Currently owning an extremely old iPhone 3G. I want this phone so badly but I am also tempted to just pay $80 more for a Galaxy S3 (Prices in AUS are $399 for Nexus 4 16GB vs $480 for grey import of S3) to get a new phone right now instead of when Google decides to supply more.

Marco1

I think I will go with ip5 instead of this.
After looking at the ifixit teardown it seems that the ip5 is a far better manufactured phone.
The cpu throttling and battery life have put me off this.

Vyer

The Verge was the first (that I saw) to report on it - http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/15/3650750/google-nexus-4-backorder-delay

There is some really strange bias going on here, though. Tech sites everywhere were putting up "Nexus 4 sells out in 20 minutes!!1" but no-one is writing "Google really fucked up" articles. Had Apple had a launch as poor as this one, we wouldn't hear the end of it, but everyone seems to be giving Google a free pass.

This 'editorial' was particularly bad, too -

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...nch-is-a-fantastic-sign-or-please-be-patient/

Wow at that spin job in that editorial.

Emwitus

After looking at the ifixit teardown it seems that the ip5 is a far better manufactured phone.
Was there ever any doubt about that? Especially for a 300 dollar phone

Cyrillus

A $700 phone has better build quality than a $300 phone? Whoa.

Marco1

Was there ever any don't about that? Especially for a 300 dollar phone

Yes, i know but what's annoys me more is that google maps are not on ios anymore.
That one decision is the thing that stops me ordering ip5. Even with me tied into the ecosystem with my music and apps, I am willing to walk away because of apple maps.

Shambles

Yeah that article is horrible, I'm glad people are calling him out on it.

I guess it's just googles PR arm that's keeping the articles at bay, I just wish they would say specifically when new orders will be ale to be placed again. I'm so close to keeping my iPhone 5, and I think I would do, if I hadn't used the Nexus 4 already

If anyone in the UK has got two 16gb orders by accident ill take one off your hands for £320. I can't use this shitty Nokia 6230 anymore!!!

Cheers

I'm betting that they're getting shipments at most once a week but my money is really on every two weeks. :S But the launch day is probably not the day of the week they get shipments so really it could show up anytime.
lol

So...realistically, when do yall think I can purchase this? I've never bought anything through the play store before, I had no idea this would sell out so fast so I didn't pre-order.

So...realistically, when do yall think I can purchase this? I've never bought anything through the play store before, I had no idea this would sell out so fast so I didn't pre-order.

Well the official line is more stock "within" the next 2-3 weeks. However from what I can make out there is a huge number of back logged purchases. So any new stock is going to have a huge chunk taken out of it before it is offered for sale on the play store.

Realistically unless you are lucky when the next batch of phones hits (expect Googles webstore to melt down again) it could be well into January before there is adequate stock without bludgeoning your fellow man go get the phone.

Cyrillus

Q1 2013.

In all seriousness no idea. People have been calling Google Play Support and getting varying answers of 1-3 weeks, but they are likely as in the dark as we are. I'd say 3 weeks is a safe bet, but even then I'm just guessing, as no official word has come out.

There weren't any pre-orders. Part of the problem :S

I think you'll probably be able to get one in December. Just my guess though

Yes, i know but what's annoys me more is that google maps are not on ios anymore.
That one decision is the thing that stops me ordering ip5. Even with me tied into the ecosystem with my music and apps, I am willing to walk away because of apple maps.

Apple maps seriously that bad? Never used it.

The one thing that is most likely to break is the screen and the screen on the ip5 appears to be far easier to replace.

that's a pretty strange reason to call it "far better manufactured", especially when they both got the same repairability score.

No it's better than Google Maps (for iOS) in pretty much every way except for it's data (which is I would rate a bit lower than Waze) and lack of street view. You can still use the Maps webapp.

kind of like a car being better at pretty much everything except movement.

What is the best service for a unlocked nexus 4?

edit: How does the screen compare to the one x? From what I have heard nothing on the market is even touching it. Even the newer phones. Why doesn't samsung use those screen in their own phones? They manufacture the damn things.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
No I mean when I turned it on it told me 4.2 was ready to install. I clicked ok and it installed.

Ohh ok. Out of the box, mine said 4.2, but was missing features. Checked for an update, and then it came up.

What is the best service for a unlocked nexus 4?

edit: How does the screen compare to the one x? From what I have heard nothing on the market is even touching it. Even the newer phones. Why doesn't samsung use those screen in their own phones? They manufacture the damn things.

Assuming you are in the US:

Straight talk, which I believe is $45. Unlimited everything, but I don't have all the details. When I have gone to their store, it has always been busy, so I haven't been able to ask about the plan.

I'm currently on Tmo's $60 unlimited everything. It is 4G speeds up until you hit the 2GB mark. Edit- It goes down to Edge, not 3g.

Ohh ok. Out of the box, mine said 4.2, but was missing features. Checked for an update, and then it came up.

AT&T's straight talk, which I believe is $45. Unlimited everything, but I don't have all the details. When I have gone to their store, it has always been busy, so I haven't been able to ask about the plan.

I'm currently on Tmo's $60 unlimited everything. It is 4G speeds up until you hit the 2GB mark. Then it goes down to 3G.

I'm on the Tmo $50 plan...works for me.

hitsugi

My order date in play store changed to November 17th, 2012... I ordered at 8:34 am PST and was probably considered one of the first. I guess limbo remains. Maybe now it will be 5 business days from the 17th, which means the 26th thanks to Thanksgiving. I guess it's time to just request a shipping refund

I'm on the Tmo $50 plan...works for me.

Yup, I'm going to switch to that plan as well. Was waiting for the $60 one to end(which is today to be exact). Feels good man.

AT&T's straight talk, which I believe is $45. Unlimited everything, but I don't have all the details. When I have gone to their store, it has always been busy, so I haven't been able to ask about the plan.

I'm currently on Tmo's $60 unlimited everything. It is 4G speeds up until you hit the 2GB mark. Then it goes down to 3G.
I heard the T-Mobile unlimited was only for edge. Any truth to this?

kms_md

My order date in play store changed to November 17th, 2012... I ordered at 8:34 am PST and was probably considered one of the first. I guess limbo remains. Maybe now it will be 5 business days from the 17th, which means the 26th thanks to Thanksgiving. I guess it's time to just request a shipping refund

i will wait until tomorrow and request a shipping refund then.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
IMO, Android is far more interesting OS right now. Whether its "better" I don't know yet, but "Google Now" has a huge attraction factor for me. I just want to see what's it going to do when I start using it. I've also been massively impressed with Google's latest voice search on iOS. It works so much faster and more reliably than Siri, it's depressing that Apple won't ever let them do stuff like launching apps, or contacts, email or message integration. I can't wait to see how this voice recognition engine works in an environment it's really meant for.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I noticed the same thing. Google hates December people.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/17/sorry-santa-google-cancels-december-in-android-4-2/

Got the link from the n7 thread. Kinda funny that they missed that.

I'm on the same plan and it goes to Edge after 2gb. Does T-mobile even have 3g? I've only seen H or E on my phone.

Ohh ok. I have never gone past the cap personally, since I'm usually by a wifi connection. Always thought it went down to 3G.

Top Bottom