• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
LOL come on
lol, thinking "eh, it's not that bad..." I opened iOS maps and just now noticed it marks a computer repair place by my house called "Computer Hospital" as a real hospital with a red marker and cross icon.

NbPf8.jpg

Marco1

LOL come on

The problem with apple maps is that they went with something that worked perfectly to what we have now. All in one update, updates should improve the device and services provided. All this on a new HW launch while charging the same price.
Just approve the bloody update apple.

I'm on the same plan and it goes to Edge after 2gb. Does T-mobile even have 3g? I've only seen H or E on my phone.

Wait, so T-Mobile's "unlimited 4G" plan throttles back at some point? Do they say this anywhere in their marketing fine print? I'm trying to make a phone decision right now and this could push me away from them.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Wait, so T-Mobile's "unlimited 4G" plan throttles back at some point? Do they say this anywhere in their marketing fine print? I'm trying to make a phone decision right now and this could push me away from them.

Link to their 4G plans.

Fine print:

Data: Domestic & international data roaming not available. Some plans include specified data speeds. Where indicated, full speeds available up to data allotment; then slowed up to 2G speeds

squicken

I have no idea what's going on with my setup. I can browse and stream music and video over data network but can't run a speed test. Speed test works over wifi just fine. It also gets the city wrong when using the data network. I live in a well covered LTE area. Confusing. Upper right corner has an H, but no H+. I know it's not an LTE phone but I also am sure there is HSPA+ in the area

I made the decision to just cancel my order. Got no time for this shit google. I hope a noble soul got my cancelled order.

I'll just get one of the flagships that come out in the first half of 2013.

Marco1

I made the decision to just cancel my order. Got no time for this shit google. I hope a noble soul got my cancelled order.

I'll just get one of the flagships that come out in the first half of 2013.

As much as I look forward to getting my nexus4 next week, I like you can't wait to see the galaxyS4.
Also for all of the nexus4 owners, how is the camera?

Right you are, but I actually wasn't asking about the prepaid plans (which is something of a sin on this forum). I was talking about their contract unlimited 4G data plan that they just rolled out somewhat recently. I know I see that in their fine print, but when you Google it you see a lot of news posts saying that it has no throttling on the contract plan. I don't plan on changing phones often, and I have a pretty sweet employee discount through where I work which makes it very competitive with a prepaid plan (and makes the phone itself even cheaper).

Right you are, but I actually wasn't asking about the prepaid plans (which is something of a sin on this forum). I was talking about their contract unlimited 4G data plan that they just rolled out somewhat recently. I know I see that in their fine print, but when you Google it you see a lot of news posts saying that it has no throttling on the contract plan. I don't plan on changing phones often, and I have a pretty sweet employee discount through where I work which makes it very competitive with a prepaid plan (and makes the phone itself even cheaper).

They bill it as unlimited data, which I guess is technically correct. But depending on the plan, it is throttled at above 2GB, 5GB, 10GB or whatever their tiers are.

So unlimited data with high speed throttling at above one of the thresholds.

freshair

Also for all of the nexus4 owners, how is the camera?

Honestly? Disappointing. Unless you have a decent light source, indoor shots are a hit or miss. Not to mention there isn't a default macro mode O__o.

It's better than my previous phone by a long shot (HTC Sensation) and reviewers have said that it's better than the GNex, but it's by no means on the same levels as the flagships of the S3, One X and iP5.

zoku88

They bill it as unlimited data, which I guess is technically correct. But depending on the plan, it is throttled at above 2GB, 5GB, 10GB or whatever their tiers are.

So unlimited data with high speed throttling at above one of the thresholds.

T-mobile has an unlimited no-contract plan that doesn't throttle...

If you look at the classic plans, the non-throttled plans are advertised as "10GB of unlimited data" or something like that.

I'm currently on the $54, 500 minute, unlimited data plan.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Packages/ValuePackages.aspx

The higher and lower plans have throttling. (The higher plans include hotspot.)

Those Monthly 4G plans kinda confuse me. I'm not sure how they're different the from non-contract Value Plans...?

Marco1

Honestly? Disappointing. Unless you have a decent light source, indoor shots are a hit or miss. Not to mention there isn't a default macro mode O__o.

It's better than my previous phone by a long shot (HTC Sensation) and reviewers have said that it's better than the GNex, but it's by no means on the same levels as the flagships of the S3, One X and iP5.

Thanks, that's a real shame they went cheap there. I loved the camera on my ip5.

If you look at the classic plans, the non-throttled plans are advertised as "10GB of unlimited data" or something like that.

Those Monthly 4G plans kinda confuse me. I'm not sure how they're different the from non-contract Value Plans...?

This is what I'm talking about. It's confusing how it all works, especially when its possible that they throttle it anyway even though they say they don't.

zoku88

This is what I'm talking about. It's confusing how it all works, especially when its possible that they throttle it anyway even though they say they don't.

I'm pretty sure they don't. Or, if they do, it has to be at some high level.

I haven't hit it yet (I used to hit the 5GB barrier a lot on the older plan...that was really painful.)

But anyway, since they say it for literally every other plan, I don't know why they would say it for this plan as well, espcially since it could get them called out on it...

giga

Value plans require a contract, even if you bring your own phone. That's how they can offer it for so cheap. I still think it's worth it because this Nexus is only $300. $20 or more saved a month is a lot.

Value plans require a contract, even if you bring your own phone. That's how they can offer it for so cheap. I still think it's worth it because this Nexus is only $300. $20 or more saved a month is a lot.

Did you make the leap then?

Currently got the iPhone 5 sitting in my room unopened and ready to sell, just waiting for the Nexus to become available again

kms_md

I was told by a CSR that an email from Google was going to be sent out tonight to N4 customers. Others on XDA that have called have received similar information.

giga

What bothers me the most was that these fools couldn't even do a pre-order to gauge interest. They also didn't announce a set time when it would be available for order--we had to rely on guesswork and rumors from clueless CSRs. And after all that, they decided to open orders in the middle of the day when people are at work. And even when I was at work and tried to order, the Play Store crapped out with "processing errors" the entire time, something you wouldn't expect from a website that gets the world's most traffic.

Yes, the iPhone 5 also slipped to two weeks (better than three, I guess) delivery and also had site problems, but Apple let people know when orders would open and you at least had a one hour window to pre-order during non-working hours before the shipping estimates slipped.

zoku88

It doesn't. I have one. I don't have a contract.

I was on EMP before (I think? Or wtv the equivalent was before that), but then I changed to Value when it was introduced, since EMP, or wtv plan I had, since my previous plan started throttling at like 5GB...

buhdeh

I'm not even talking about for those who ordered either. No apologies for a botched launch, no expected availability, not even any generic we're trying our best to put more units up for sale stuff. Just silence for customers and potential customers to wonder about what the fuck is going on.

malyce

from xda:
GTIacl.jpg
f8UbHl.jpg

UM18Ql.png
GBPZGl.jpg

Screen on time is great on stock, custom ROMs/Kernels should be able to squeeze 6 hours out of it. This alone makes it worth the upgrade from the Galaxy Nexus.

giga

It doesn't. I have one. I don't have a contract.
When did you get one? I have one too and they wouldn't let me sign on unless I signed a contract.

Slated to be available beginning on July 24, the new plans build on T-Mobile’s commitment of offering affordable, consumer-friendly plans in tune with the evolving needs of wireless customers. Available with a two-year agreement for new and existing customers, the Value plans offer single-line and multiline options with a range of price points for talk, unlimited text and unlimited data with 2 GB, 5 GB or 10 GB of high-speed data — with no data overage charges. Customers can choose from a variety of monthly plans and only pay for the high-speed data they need.

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/articles/t-mobile-unveils-unlimited-data-plans

zoku88

When did you get one? I have one too and they wouldn't let me sign on unless I signed a contract.

Well, I switched to it from my EMP plan a couple of months ago.

EDIT: That's ...odd. I didn't sign any contract. I just changed it online...

EDIT2: On the website, it only mentions a 2 year contract for classic plans. I can't finding anything on the website for a contract for Value Plans...

EDIT3: Is there something on the 'My Account' page that tells you if you have a contract and how much time you have left? I want to be certain that I don't have a contract.

EDIT4: Huh, I just did an experiment and tried to just buy a value plan and go to check out, and yea, there's totally a 24 month agreement in there. I guess, technically, I never bought the value plan, I just changed the data service of my current plan and wasn't presented a contract.

Sorry for the misinformation.... They should really say that there is a 2-year agree on the main value package page.... Someone could totally buy it and not realize they were getting into a contract. I only knew at checkout because I specifically looked for it...

EDIT5: I feel really bad, now. I hope no one has ever gotten a Value Plan recommendation from me, thinking it was a non-contract plan...

giga

Well, I switched to it from my EMP plan a couple of months ago.

EDIT: That's ...odd. I didn't sign any contract. I just changed it online...

EDIT2: On the website, it only mentions a 2 year contract for classic plans. I can't finding anything on the website for a contract for Value Plans...

EDIT3: Is there something on the 'My Account' page that tells you if you have a contract and how much time you have left? I want to be certain that I don't have a contract.

EDIT4: Huh, I just did an experiment and tried to just buy a value plan and go to check out, and yea, there's totally a 24 month agreement in there. I guess, technically, I never bought the value plan, I just changed the data service of my current plan and wasn't presented a contract.

Sorry for the misinformation.... They should really say that there is a 2-year agree on the main value package page.... Someone could totally buy it and not realize they were getting into a contract. I only knew at checkout because I specifically looked for it...

EDIT5: I feel really bad, now. I hope no one has ever gotten a Value Plan recommendation from me, thinking it was a non-contract plan...
Yeah, they really changed things. Even the classic plans require a contract. The only non-contract plans that new customers can get are with prepaid.

6cDv+

Getting just a sim with a classic plan is basically throwing money away.

zoku88

Yeah, they really changed things. Even the classic plans require a contract. The only non-contract plans that new customers can get are with prepaid.

Getting just a sim with a classic plan is basically throwing money away.
Aaaah! I see now. It's really obvious when you click on the plan name and get the popup. For some reason, I've never done that...

That kinda sucks.

EDIT: Looking at the prepiad plans, it looks like it would just be better going with an MVNO... I'll keep this in mind if I ever leave T-mobile and come back, heh. (Though, it's hard to imagine me ever leaving since the price is sooo~ good.)

Phoenix

At least next week should go by quickly.

I wonder if Google will ever issue an official statement on how this was / is being handled

They didn't give a statement on the botched Nexus7 launch, or the botched Galaxy Nexus launch so I doubt they plan to give much of a statement about this launch. I don't bother preordering from Google anymore. After the Nexus 7, I figure I'll just want until I see the shit on the shelves and can get it that day. Google knows jack shit about customer service, and their return policy is anti-consumer.

Just buy it from a retail store. They'll get it before they send yours in 99% of cases anyways.

maharg

idspispopd
They didn't give a statement on the botched Nexus7 launch, or the botched Galaxy Nexus launch so I doubt they plan to give much of a statement about this launch. I don't both preordering from Google anymore. After the Nexus 7, I figure I'll just want until I see the shit on the shelves and can get it that day. Google knows jack shit about customer service, and their return policy is anti-consumer.

Just buy it from a retail store. They'll get it before they send yours in 99% of cases anyways.

Phone's a bit different than a tablet, though. Retail stores don't tend to carry them unless it's a carrier selling them through the store, in which case they jack up the price to ridiculous levels.

(note: all the above is for Canada, but my limited experience in the US suggests it's similar)

hitsugi

Phone's a bit different than a tablet, though. Retail stores don't tend to carry them unless it's a carrier selling them through the store, in which case they jack up the price to ridiculous levels.

(note: all the above is for Canada, but my limited experience in the US suggests it's similar)

No that's about right for the US. You're dealing with Google, contract or paying $150 more through T-Mobile, or you aren't getting a Nexus 4.

Chili

After having a bit more use of it:

A few more thoughts:

- The hardware looks as great as people say. The rubbery edge is so good, I really hope the bumper is made out of the same material.
- The rubber edge doesn't extend enough to the bottom of the device. If the phone is on even a slightly inclined surface it may well slowly slide off so be careful with that!
- The phone is really 'warm' to touch. I don't just mean that in the sense that it gets hot - but they've done a good job designing it so it doesn't feel too cold and sterile.
- I can't figure how the device gets so warm sometimes when I'm not doing particularly intensive things (like browsing the internet) while when doing something more demanding it doesn't get so hot.
- The camera isn't a huge improvement over the Galaxy Nexus to be honest. It is better, yes but it still isn't great. The camera app itself and photosphere are fantastic though.
- The screen is fantastic. I understand the washed-out colours but I wonder if it is more a case of the colours just being too vibrant on other devices and more natural-looking on this phone. It's like when people compare their LCD TVs with colour turned up to max to a well-calibrated Plasma. It doesn't look as good to them but it's the right picture. Not saying that is the case with this phone, it definitely is more muted but I don't think it is necessarily that much worse. The clarity more than makes up for it if it just washed out.
- Coming from the GNex there really isn't a lot to be that excited about. The software is exactly the same although the hardware is much improved. I found that phone to be perfectly fast and responsive - and this one is exactly the same. Fast and responsive. I think the novelty is already wearing off!

However - I did find a slight scruff/scratch mark on the chrome siding (another reason they shouldn't have gone with chrome there) and a dead pixel right slap bang in the middle of the screen. I've seen in some unboxing videos that the chrome siding came with plastic on it but my phone did not. I thought I could live with the pixel but I just can't stop looking at it. Setting up an RMA with Google but thankfully I can keep this phone while I wait for the other to arrive.

Marco1

Thanks for the review Chili.
I am still waiting for mine to arrive but because I live in N.Ireland, Google use a different shipping company who ship to California, then Birmingham, then Dublin and then a truck drives it to Belfast and then me.
If they used their normal shipping company then it would be, England, then Belfast and me.
Google have an awful LOT to learn from Apple. They should stop selling HW from play store and just keep it retail outlets.

Top Bottom