• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Marco1

I don't think he is saying Apple don't sell online, but they should stop selling online until they get their shit in order

Thanks, apologies if my post didn't convey that.
I was using a friends this morning and I loved it. Only thing that disappointed me was the camera. I find it hard to believe why they went cheap there in this day and age. Why Google?
But for the price it's a steal. Will be a great stopgap until galaxyS4 arrives.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I still want a camera compassion between this phone and my Note.

Soooo... When can we expect to see a new batch of phones?

Would really like to get one before christmas for my girlfriend, since she dumped her old smartphone into my chai latte :D

hitsugi

Soooo... When can we expect to see a new batch of phones?

Would really like to get one before christmas for my girlfriend, since she dumped her old smartphone into my chai latte :D

They're still weeks behind on day 1 orders.. No one is expecting anything of Google at this point

hitsugi

Who thinks some kind of information will come out tomorrow? Or will everyone keep hearing the same thing from CSRs aka "You should receive a tracking number by ___ (1-2 days from present)."

kms_md

Who thinks some kind of information will come out tomorrow? Or will everyone keep hearing the same thing from CSRs aka "You should receive a tracking number by ___ (1-2 days from present)."

At this point I just assume at some point in the future I will get a shipping notification from UPS My Choice and that I will hear nothing from Google.

TehOh

I'm just hoping for something by Tuesday. Anything, really. Not a word since the 13th.

Shagwell

I never even got an e-mail from google announcing the phone's release, although I signed up for one. Goddamn, Google, that shit is ice cold. I just wanna buy your phone.

eissan

Since I didn't get a Nexus 4 and I bought a white S3 for 400 bones(CDN)! I am loving this thing so far! can't wait till I root it and install CWM and get 4.2 on it!

MAYBE when nexus 4 is actually constantly in stock I'll sell this and grab one but for now I am good :)

I did get to play with one at the local T Mobile store. Felt pretty solid and was very snappy. Phone looks great. Just a tad wider than the GNexus.

maharg

idspispopd
Maybe it's because I live in Canada and products shipping that fast basically never happens here, but fuck you guys are spoiled.

Since I didn't get a Nexus 4 and I bought a white S3 for 400 bones(CDN)! I am loving this thing so far! can't wait till I root it and install CWM and get 4.2 on it!

MAYBE when nexus 4 is actually constantly in stock I'll sell this and grab one but for now I am good :)

What is the look for CWM 4.2? I think I will have to add that as a possible alternative to the N4

For someone who hasn't ordered yet, any idea when I can? Either from T-Mo or the Play Store. I know they've been back ordered, but is there any hope in being able to place an order any time soon?

For someone who hasn't ordered yet, any idea when I can? Either from T-Mo or the Play Store. I know they've been back ordered, but is there any hope in being able to place an order any time soon?
I have zero faith in Google at this point. I'd try your luck calling around for TMo stores. I went to one today and they said they expect more by Tuesday or Friday. Hopefully, though that means Google plans on more stock by then to take care of the back orders.

I have zero faith in Google at this point. I'd try your luck calling around for TMo stores. I went to one today and they said they expect more by Tuesday or Friday. Hopefully, though that means Google plans on more stock by then to take care of the back orders.

A TMo rep told me to try Tuesday as well.
This whole situation makes my blood boil with envy.

hitsugi

And you paid $10 shipping on a phone that's half the price it should be. You'll live.

The cost of the phone / shipping aren't an issue. We'll all get the phone whenever it comes to us.. I merely relayed the status Google has provided many

And you paid $10 shipping on a phone that's half the price it should be. You'll live.

Maybe it's because I live in Canada and products shipping that fast basically never happens here, but fuck you guys are spoiled.
I got my iPhone 4S shipped from China to Toronto at launch in 3 business days. Not sure what being in Canada has to do with it. I order stuff from Apple and Amazon.com a bunch and get things on time.

I also paid $16.99 to have this Nexus shipped to me. No problems with that. But I paid for a service and I won't likely get what I paid for. Do you like paying for things you don't receive? (It's only been 3 of the 5 business days so I won't call complete foul until Wednesday but its safe to say it ain't getting here until end of week at the earliest)

And what does the price of the hardware have to do with anything? So the phone is $300 instead of $599. And? Why as a consumer should that be something I'm giving a shit about? Google weren't prepared for this launch. Simple. Price of hardware has nothing to do with it and shouldn't be used in defense of them.

You'd also know if you've been following the thread lately that most of us have no issues with having not received the phone yet, we are more concerned with how fucking silent google have been the entire week and how useless the CSR's are. No communication at all.

Don't know how anyone can defend google and say consumers are being unreasonable or spoiled. Google have done everything wrong with this launch. Forgive us for being used fo a certain level of service in the year 2012.

Then you have people who have sold their existing phones because they expected the nexus to arrive on time, only to recieve a backorder email and be stuck in limbo without a phone for 3 weeks, yeah, it kinda is a big deal to some. Maybe Google should have allowed pre-orders and been better prepared for the demand.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The only people who have a right to complain about this launch are people who ordered the Nexus One. Everyone else: You're the reason why I'm in this situation.

Maiar_m

TGVBJ.jpg

Used the phone for a few days now:

The build quality is very good, but not excellent. If I pinch the lower left corner of the phone a bit, I can hear squeaking sounds. It's not that huge and the rest of the phone feels solid and very good in hand, but it's noticeable if you pick up your phone from your pocket using that corner and that gesture. It's been noted by other owners below that their units didn't do that, and mine doesn't always do it either, but the possibility of it is worth noting. The curved glass at the edge of the screen is really pleasing, as well as the rubbery edge. Having the power button on the right edge takes time getting used to if you come from a phone with a different layout. I used to have the sound rocker here, so you can guess at my somewhat repetitive mistakes. It is a nice phone overall, a bit bland (I mean, it's a slab of black glass, what do you expect?) at a glance, but really nice upon closer inspection, as hinted by that holographic back cover which I find mesmerizing (I don't need much, do I?).

The camera is a phone's camera (duh), in my opinion it is sub-par but I come from a place where shooting stuff I want to look pretty is done with nothing less than a DSLR, so there's that. If you want me to go into more details, I'd say the auto-focus is relatively slow, macros are nearly impossible, colors are a bit washed out but easily editable, and depth of field is too deep for me. Portraiture is not going to be this phone's strong suit. The photo editing software embedded in the gallery app is, however, really good and pleasing to use. Finally, Photosphere is a nice addition but it is also a real gadget. I found it great when I wished to capture the view from my hotel room, but I found it way too time-consuming when I tried to sphere the actual hotel room.

Yi2B1.jpg

Performance has been fantastic so far, I've never seen a lag in any game I've played (Sword and Sorcery, Dead Space, Canabalt, Swing Shot, S&S, Draw Something...) and not even using Chrome. My Wifi and 3G+ reception has been good, and so was the call reception.

Battery life is standard for android flagship devices. I can get a day of medium use, with auto-brightness, wifi and 3G on all the time, some gaming, medium to heavy internet browsing, few texts and emails. On Saturday I unplugged it at 8am, wired it back at 11.30pm and it had 2% left with 5 hours screen time, heavy internet browsing, some games and quite a considerable amount of time trying to reach an antenna since I had spent the evening lost in the middle of nowhere in Normandy. My opinion on that is that it's still poor no matter what, but it's comparatively good when taking into account the industry's standards.

Android 4.2 is a joy to use, but that part has been covered a lot in the reviews. The quick notification toggles are great, the design choices are all working for me (that clock app is in my opinion better-looking than iOS's. I own both) and the smoothness of it all is striking. I have found the "People" app fairly well designed, but it lacks the option of displaying only people with phone numbers, something you get when reaching your contacts through the "Phone" app. That's a bit weird for me, coming from and Xperia device. Google now, though not a part of 4.2, is a really nice tool and does make the experience feel a bit more premium. Ultimately though, it remains clear that Google develops these products for the USA first, then tries to see how it goes when available globally. Trying to add a French football team (even the National one) to your sporting interests isn't an option (and I don't feel too bad about it). I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be able to track my parcels either.

The enhanced lock screen with widgets is more of a gimmick to me right now. Yes, in theory it is nice to have the ability to reach your mails without doing a full unlock, but I rarely have to check my emails unless I get a new one. And when that happens, I can just as well slide down the notification panel and click on the incoming email: it takes as many swipes, and it is as functional. However, there will be more widgets added as developers get to it, and it will certainly prove useful to some.

In conclusion, the Nexus 4 is certainly a very good phone, and certainly the best Android phone you can get on the European market now. I would gladly trade the cheap plastic feel and bloated software of a Galaxy SIII against this mild squeaking sound any day. The lack of LTE isn't an issue at all if you are not in the USA, and every other aspect of the phone fits at least this guy's need for a smart device. It is not perfect, and some will find gripe with the "only good" screen that should be "amazing", or with the camera that's "serviceable and good enough" rather than "terrific and soul-capturing". My only real concern remains battery life, and I can't fathom how a flagship device can maintain this laissez-faire approach to piss poor efficiency. Granted, this is very subjective and I expect this part of my opinion to change when wireless charging makes it virtually impossible for me to drain the battery down, and such as been my issue with all smartphones anyway. Additionally, this phone has been sold for 100€ less than the cheapest deal available for its closest contender in Europe (GS3). I expect the deal to be even more appealing in the US, and that alone makes the Nexus 4 a remarkable device: this is not just a piece of hardware, it's a cheap albeit premium piece of hardware. Keep it in mind these next 3 weeks.

Edit: Here are some sample pics taken with the phone.

The first two pics were not edited through the gallery software.

The only people who have a right to complain about this launch are people who ordered the Nexus One. Everyone else: You're the reason why I'm in this situation.

That was my first android phone. Shipped from the US so I got STUNG by tax!

Edit* nice read Miair. Squeaking doesn't sound so great.

Meh, I have a feeling this wait is for a reason.

twofold

Good review Maiar.

The battery life has been fine for me. As long as I can comfortably make it through a full day, I'm happy, and this phone can definitely do that.

As for the squeaking -- I think that's your phone. Mine doesn't make any noises like that. It might be worth contacting Google to see if you can get another one sent out.

Marco1

Good review Maiar.

The battery life has been fine for me. As long as I can comfortably make it through a full day, I'm happy, and this phone can definitely do that.

As for the squeaking -- I think that's your phone. Mine doesn't make any noises like that. It might be worth contacting Google to see if you can get another one sent out.

I agree Maiar, mine does not do that either.
Phone Google.

Maiar_m

Yep, I was fairly sure it was my phone only, and it's very slight (I've reproduced the sound while writing the review, I can't make it again now) but it still shows that some units may be a bit more fragile than others.

Also, you guys are mad. Calling Google, possibly sending a phone back to them? I work with this handset, I can't wait 'till March 2014 for a replacement :p No but seriously, I'm fine with it. I'm guessing it's just the lower left screw, and that is ok with me. Thanks!

ektoll

Yep, as said, very good review and especially good conclusion, 100€ less than the S3? That's fantastic.

If only Google didn't failed the launch...

Marco1

Yep, I was fairly sure it was my phone only, and it's very slight (I've reproduced the sound while writing the review, I can't make it again now) but it still shows that some units may be a bit more fragile than others.

Also, you guys are mad. Calling Google, possibly sending a phone back to them? I work with this handset, I can't wait 'till March 2014 for a replacement :p No but seriously, I'm fine with it. I'm guessing it's just the lower left screw, and that is ok with me. Thanks!

Maiar, they let you keep the phone until a new one arrives.

Chili

I thought I could overlook that dead pixel, especially because the pixel density is so high but it's right in the middle of the screen staring at me always and I can't not look at it. The guy on the phone said he assumed Google had kept stock back for replacements but he could not be sure. My replacement order has an estimated shipping time of one week and should dispatch by Friday according to Google Play (of course we all know how accurate that is).

Aside from that I'm quite happy with the build quality. No squeaking or creaking, it does feel very solid. Of course, whether it lasts day-to-day use remains to be seen.

twofold

Oh man, I didn't realise that there was a plastic sheet on the back of the phone. I thought the glass had got chipped slightly but it turned out to be the edge of the sheet. I think I'm going to leave it on - it feels pretty good still and it should add a little bit of extra protection.

T-mobile has an unlimited no-contract plan that doesn't throttle...

If you look at the classic plans, the non-throttled plans are advertised as "10GB of unlimited data" or something like that.

I'm currently on the $54, 500 minute, unlimited data plan.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Packages/ValuePackages.aspx

The higher and lower plans have throttling. (The higher plans include hotspot.)

Those Monthly 4G plans kinda confuse me. I'm not sure how they're different the from non-contract Value Plans...?

i dont see the plan you're referring to

hitsugi

my shipping date has changed to 11/19 in google play. still no change to shipping on the 15th.

No changes in wallet, no backorder e-mail, charges no longer pending (but also didn't clear)

As for play store - Date is still November 17th 2012 (changed from the 13th), Status is still Shipping estimate: November 15, 2012.

I'm thinking at some point or another, most (if not all) of us in "Limbo" were supposed to receive that backorder e-mail.

Brinbe

No e-mail or any correspondence since last Tuesday, and on the Play Store the order date is still listed as the 13th with shipping estimate as the 15th. Wonderful job, Google.

hitsugi

No e-mail or any correspondence since last Tuesday, and on the Play Store the order date is still listed as the 13th with shipping estimate as the 15th. Wonderful job, Google.

That may be a positive..? I'm assuming they're changing dates to place people in some type of order for processing, since now we have orders listed as 13th, 17th, and 19th.

Brinbe

That may be a positive..? I'm assuming they're changing dates to place people in some type of order for processing, since now we have orders listed as 13th, 17th, and 19th.
Yeah, I've been hoping I'll surprisingly receive it either today or most likely tomorrow, but I'm not expecting that to be the case! Gonna be out of town from Wednesday to Sunday anyway, so if it is delayed a bit, I won't mind too much. Would just like clarification on my status one way or the other.

TehOh

Order date just changed to the 19th. Still says expected shipping date of the 15th. No e-mails or anything.

So frustrated with the lack of communication. I just want to know when I'm getting this stupid thing.

Top Bottom