• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

renitou

Touchwiz is aesthetically unpleasing, but does offer some interesting ideas. I'm glad some of the concepts, like the quick setting toggles, have been incorporated into the stock experience.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apparently liking TW is like a cardinal sin on GAF. Can't have different tastes.

Stock is plain and boring. Yea I said it.
You're looking for what you're used to instead of being open to change. Touchwiz has some cool features that stock doesn't have. But it's not all cohesive. It's a matter of taste and if you prefer Touchwiz, I won't call you crazy for doing so.

I hope I get a free bumper, or, preferably, a wireless charging dock.

freshair

OK, either I'm really careless or Gorilla Glass 2 isn't all that great because there are multiple noticeable scratches on the front screen now and I've literally only had it for 4 days.

It's kind of funny because my other phones previously (htc sensation, htc radar) doesn't have any scratches on the screen and I subjected them to the same thing I'm doing with my N4, which is leave on desk at work / put in pant pocket with my wallet. Never with keys or coins or other scratch-able surfaces.

If that guy is legit...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34383177&postcount=18658

Guess that means those of us that don't have an order probably won't even see this thing til next year.

Lots of spelling mistakes and he doesn't know if he's Thomas or Jonathan. That, and he registered that day. Smells fishy.

This beside the fact that Google is actually "communicating", too... I don't think so.

Probably just best to wait in the dark until there's a news release/something from the higher ups to be had.

Wads

Banned
Was thinking about getting this, but man, I'm about to throw down the extra cash for the note 2. Who knows when we'll even be able to place an order...

cheesetom

OK, either I'm really careless or Gorilla Glass 2 isn't all that great because there are multiple noticeable scratches on the front screen now and I've literally only had it for 4 days.

It's kind of funny because my other phones previously (htc sensation, htc radar) doesn't have any scratches on the screen and I subjected them to the same thing I'm doing with my N4, which is leave on desk at work / put in pant pocket with my wallet. Never with keys or coins or other scratch-able surfaces.

Had my nexus 4 around the same time frame and the back has developed a crack. I'm pretty sure I never dropped it, so I don't know what's going on there.

Otherwise, the device is awesome. Played around with an iPad 3 afterwards and I'm noticing all the stuttering!

Brinbe

Welp, looks like I got the same email from support that you all did about it arriving today, but no shipping info or anything has come in. So yeah, I doubt it... At least it's some form of communication.

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for contacting us. I apologize for the delayed response.

If you ordered on 11/13, your order is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. If you haven't already received a shipping confirmation email that contains the tracking number, you should receive one by end of day today. However, please note that it can take up to 1 business day for the tracking number to be activated. Rest assured that once you receive your ship confirmation email with your tracking number, it is in the process of shipping for an estimated arrival of Tuesday, Nov. 20.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reply to this email.

Thanks,

Shawn
The Google Play Support Team

Has there been any indication when Google will have more stock on the UK Play Store?

Methinks they have a lot other learn with regards to physical retail. :-(

Jesus already out for delivery. They next day air shipped it, getting the device a mere ~12 hours after getting the shipping notification feels unreal.

Hype is flowing back into my veins!

f0rk

So how does this phone stack up if you ignore how cheap it was? Don't really have faith in Google to be able to restock in the UK, what are my other options sim free at £400?

Nif

So how does this phone stack up if you ignore how cheap it was? Don't really have faith in Google to be able to restock in the UK, what are my other options sim free at £400?

It's solid, I really don't have any complaints other than I like super amoled displays more. I guess it's slippery. If you have butterfingers, you should get insurance and a case.

It's solid, I really don't have any complaints other than I like super amoled displays more. I guess it's slippery. If you have butterfingers, you should get insurance and a case.

I had the iPhone 4 for 2.5 years- so I think I should be OK

Funny that's a big complaint for people!

Got the phone in, which is for the wife, and it's pretty nice. Screen is crisp and the gui is very fluid. As previously mentioned in the thread, the camera didn't impress much, though I'm stacking this up against the Note 2 I got a couple weeks ago. My wife had zero complaints, as she's been on a Droid 2 for the past two years.

mackattk

I got the phone in yesterday, it is a huge upgrade from my old phone. But every now and then I get a full screen ad for a game, along with ads for games in the drop down taskbar. Any way to disable this crap?

Nevermind,I think I found it. Google admob ads were enabled. Hopefully that will fix it.

Brinbe

Finally also got updated in the play store. Still no shipping email or anything, but here's hoping for a surprise today.

ZGNYX.png

SimleuqiR

My co-worker just got his today.

He ordered at around 11:35 AM EST. As soon as he told me the phone was available, which was seconds after he noticed, I try to order. It took me about an hour to actual place my order. I guess anyone with a backorder email is really not getting this phone any time soon.

He just receive his "Shipping confirmation" early today (or late last night) and just got the phone today.

Shit is beautiful.

I got the phone in yesterday, it is a huge upgrade from my old phone. But every now and then I get a full screen ad for a game, along with ads for games in the drop down taskbar. Any way to disable this crap?

Nevermind,I think I found it. Google admob ads were enabled. Hopefully that will fix it.

for future reference... if you get an ad in the notification menu, long press it for info on the app that caused it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ah ha. Finally received a shipping estimate. Back order email dude here.

Hieberrr

Damn, the "By end of day" delivery expectation is really :S worthy. I'm sitting at home right now and I have to leave for class at 2ish.

Bboy AJ

So you get a backorder email? US based? What time did you order?
US, yes. I don't remember the time I ordered.

Nice, going to take a hit of hopium now and spam F5 on my inbox.
I got no email. It's only on the Play Store order page.

My shipping estimate on the Play Store never changed from 11/15. It still says that on my account. Yet I have a backorder email.

Oh, maybe that's what happened to me, too. My order date changed, though. All this is probably meaningless. We're hosed.

freshair

Damn, the "By end of day" delivery expectation is really :S worthy. I'm sitting at home right now and I have to leave for class at 2ish.

Mine was literally delivered by the end of the day. The truck came at 6:30pm lol.

Had my nexus 4 around the same time frame and the back has developed a crack. I'm pretty sure I never dropped it, so I don't know what's going on there.

Indeed. And I don't really like the idea of having to buy a bumper/screen protector just so I can use and carry the device in a "normal" manner without further damaging it.

Otherwise, the device is awesome. Played around with an iPad 3 afterwards and I'm noticing all the stuttering!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1999345

Top Bottom