• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

lexi

Banned
Can someone explain to me the whole 3G / LTE thing with this phone, and why an unlocked LTE handset is impossible?

markot

Banned
Reviews have been very positive? Verge in fact didn't say anything bad about battery life even? Has someone said the phone lags for them in real use? It is slow as shit?

I don't know, I am not Google?

Well, I just mean generally you get the 'final' version reviewed >.< cause then reviews may mention problems that dont exist with 'release'

Bruiserk

So, how much screen size do we actually get? How much of the screen does the black bar with the navigational buttons take up?

Can someone explain to me the whole 3G / LTE thing with this phone, and why an unlocked LTE handset is impossible?

an unlocked LTE handset is totally possible.

it just won't work on Sprint or Verizon, and that's the only thing 99% of people who want one with LTE care about.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, how much screen size do we actually get? How much of the screen does the black bar with the navigational buttons take up?

If it's like on the GNex (which I'm betting it is), the navigation bar is 96 pixels high in portait orientation and 84 pixels wide in landscape.

Have there been any direct comparisons to the iPhone 5's camera?
definitely won't be in the same league. I think the nicest thing most reviews have said is that the camera is better than the galaxy nexus one and is definitely servicable/not bad/capable.

SimleuqiR

DieH@rd

Banned
definitely won't be in the same league. I think the nicest thing most reviews have said is that the camera is better than the galaxy nexus one and is definitely servicable/not bad/capable.

Acording to the vid that i posted just now, N4 has a very nice camera.

Acording to the vid that i posted just now, N4 has a very nice camera.
and according to like every opinion on every review, I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm just saying it's not on the same level.

Maybe I just have higher expectations for flagship phones these days. Especially considering what Apple/Nokia/Sony are doing in their latest ones.

Jeff-DSA

and according to like every opinion on every review, I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm just saying it's not on the same level.

Maybe I just have higher expectations for flagship phones these days. Especially considering what Apple/Nokia/Sony are doing in their latest ones.

The Nexus devices are about the pure OS and full hardware features of Android. Rarely are they about horsepower or top shelf specs. This is a move towards high end specs, but I think it's still up to OEMs to provide that.

malyce

Seriously, how much do some of you expect to get for $300? ...The Nexus will never be a flagship phone.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Seriously, how much do some of you expect to get for $300? ...The Nexus will never be a flagship phone.
I don't know. Techwise, it's within the current flagship realm and I except this phone to sell very well thanks to it's price. In time, it could become a very recognizable, if not an "iconic" Android phone.

malyce

I don't know. Techwise, it's within the current flagship realm and I except this phone to sell very well thanks to it's price. In time, it could become a very recognizable, if not an "iconic" Android phone.

In an android world this changes every 3-4 months.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Very strange that this phone is being reviewed as if it doesn't cost half the price of its competition...

why would they...anyone can do that. It's a flagship smartphone. It should get reviewed against other flagship phones. Does it really matter. Most reviews seem very positive anyway.

Imagine reviewing the BMW 7 series against the Mercedes S class. Both flagship models. But of course, when reviewing the two, you're going to take into consideration price.

How is this even a discussion we need to have? Unless you're missing animlboogy's point. He's saying take price into consideration. Maybe you're saying review the N4 against iPhone 5, etc. Two different points.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
As long as the camera is better than the GNex I should be fine. Just curious what phone has the best camera? I always see the One X and S3 at the top. I didn't know the Iphone 5 was in its league.

Isn't the iPhone 5 camera the same as the 4S? I'm going from a 4S to the N4 (potentially) and more concerned with that comparison. But I really thought the 4S and 5 had the same camera?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Isn't the iPhone 5 camera the same as the 4S? I'm going from a 4S to the N4 (potentially) and more concerned with that comparison. But I really thought the 4S and 5 had the same camera?

Nope, they're different.

hitsugi

Strange, I preferred all the shots from the left side until the very last photo, where I thought the colors and and clarity looked better.
I was really expecting the left side to be the iPhone.

I was expecting that, too. Was pretty surprised at the end.

As for people saying what do you expect for $300, etc.. yes, it's half the price of an iPhone 5, but I also need it to replace my iPhone 5, and so far, it's looking like it does a hell of a job. But you shouldn't be upset with comparisons being made; most of the time they're in the N4's favor anyway.

Bruiserk

If it's like on the GNex (which I'm betting it is), the navigation bar is 96 pixels high in portait orientation and 84 pixels wide in landscape.

I'm assuming it disappears when you are doing something full screen like watching a video, right? In other words, it is always on and intrusive or only there when you need it?

Hieberrr

I'm assuming it disappears when you are doing something full screen like watching a video, right? In other words, it is always on and intrusive or only there when you need it?

If the Nexus 7 is any indication, no. The bar will still be there, but the buttons become muted grey dots (so you no longer see the back, home, and current apps buttons).

JordanKZ

If the Nexus 7 is any indication, no. The bar will still be there, but the buttons become muted grey dots (so you no longer see the back, home, and current apps buttons).

If the application is designed to take advantage of it, it will. For example, Youtube does it on the Galaxy Nexus.

Nope, they're different.
Hmm. Okay. Well the camera looks to be pretty good in the nexus 4.

I don't get why the Canadian price is $10 more. Our dollar is better than the American dollar right now. Stupid google.

Also, is google the only company on the planet still charging shipping for a product over $40? Come on goog, you got enough money. Eat it.

Man I'm really into this phone though. I seriously still have trouble with the whole LG thing though. Someone convince me LG makes better phones than they do TV's.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Just tested my wife's one s internet speed. Consistently getting 20-25 Mbs down. Yeah this whole no LTE is a load of crock. Definitely fast enough...hspa+ is more widely available then LTE. I hate to bring this up but do not remember the iPhone getting shit on when it didn't have LTE. Heck wasn't even there hspa speeds crap.

Cipherr

I dont know about what Hieberr is saying, but the 3 software keys definitely disappear when Im watching 16:9 full screened video on my Galaxy Nexus. I get the full use of the entire screen.

Bboy AJ

Also, is google the only company on the planet still charging shipping for a product over $40? Come on goog, you got enough money. Eat it

Pretend the Nexus 4 is $650 and they're paying you $350 to ship it to your home.

Hieberrr

I dont know about what Hieberr is saying, but the 3 software keys definitely disappear when Im watching 16:9 full screened video on my Galaxy Nexus. I get the full use of the entire screen.

Well, fuck me, I was wrong!

Ignore what I said LOL.

Oyashiro

Kind of disappointed by the camera. I was thinking of upgrading from my iPhone 4 to the Nexus 4 instead of iPhone 5, but no LTE and mediocre camera make me want to reconsider. Does anyone know if the Galaxy S3 camera is any better?

Kind of disappointed by the camera. I was thinking of upgrading from my iPhone 4 to the Nexus 4 instead of iPhone 5, but no LTE and mediocre camera make me want to reconsider. Does anyone know if the Galaxy S3 camera is any better?
is it a better camera than the nex4? Looks like it from what I've seen.

JordanKZ

I'm fairly sure that the iPhone 5, Nexus 4 and SGS3 share the same sensor...

Talon

Just tested my wife's one s internet speed. Consistently getting 20-25 Mbs down. Yeah this whole no LTE is a load of crock. Definitely fast enough...hspa+ is more widely available then LTE. I hate to bring this up but do not remember the iPhone getting shit on when it didn't have LTE. Heck wasn't even there hspa speeds crap.
A. You're comparing a phone from last year (4S) with ones that launched in the last month. LTE last year was a nice-to-have. This year, all the flagship devices - Galaxy S III, Droid RAZR Maxx, Lumia 920, HTC 8X, One X, iPhone 5 - have LTE.
B. HSPA+ being that fast where you are doesn't mean it is everywhere. Whereas LTE is blazing fast everywhere. Wasn't getting more than 5 at most in Chicago on AT&T on a HSPA+ connection.
C. If you're speaking of T-mobile, you're certainly benefiting from the fact that nobody uses T-mobile.
I'm fairly sure that the iPhone 5, Nexus 4 and SGS3 share the same sensor...
It's a Sony BSI (back side illuminated) sensor, but I dunno if anyone knows if it's f/2.4 or 2.0. Regardless, there's obviously more than a good sensor that goes into a camera's quality. Apple and Nokia have the low light situation down, for example with the ISO span.

nib95

Banned

The iPhone 5's camera is only average though. I've done some pretty extensive comparisons between the 5 and the S3 and the S3's camera came out on top nearly every time (though not by a large margin by any means). Less noise and a touch more detail. Cooler compared to 5's more saturated look. Only thing the 5 really has it beat is low light brightness, but this comes at the expense of noise and detail. So its not a win per se.

And why did you bring Sony in to it? Lol. The Xperia T's camera is much worse than the S3's and 5s. Only one leading the charge now is Nokia.

the iphone 4s got lots of shit for not having LTE, and that was in 2011 :|

The iPhone 5's camera is only average though. I've done some pretty extensive comparisons between the 5 and the S3 and the S3's camera came out on top nearly every time. Less noise and a touch more detail. Cooler compared to 5's more saturated look. Only thing the 5 really has it beat is low light brightness, but this comes at the expense of noise and detail. So its not a win per se.
things I've seen anecdotally and many many reviews show me otherwise.

s3 better detail? It's worse in just about every pic: http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6454_7-10013910-1.html

Lumia 920 only one leading the way, iphone 5 average?: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...0-camera-vs-htc-windows-phone-8x-vs-iphone-5/

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/C...vs-HTC-One-X-vs-Nokia-Lumia-900_id3148/page/4

KZObsessed

I was going to wait to see what Sony have up their sleeve for 2013 before I decided whether or not to buy an iPhone but I may just buy the Nexus 4 instead. £240 and a £10 a month unlimited data SIM only plan is just amazing. It's a beautiful phone as well and LTE doesn't matter to me as it's a rip off in the UK.

kharma45

I was going to wait to see what Sony have up their sleeve for 2013 before I decided whether or not to buy an iPhone but I may just buy the Nexus 4 instead. £240 and a £10 a month unlimited data SIM only plan is just amazing. It's a beautiful phone as well and LTE doesn't matter to me as it's a rip off in the UK.

That £10 plan with Giffgaff? If so they're changing it to a 1GB cap soon and bringing in a new £12 package with unlimited data.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Isn't the hspa footprint bigger than the lte footprint?

Oh I don't think the N4 is suppose to be a flagship phone.

why did she leave the verge for this? =(

money-bg3.jpg

Top Bottom